Thread: Danish pastry recipes ...

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Default Danish pastry recipes ...

I am looking for tried and tesed home made puff pastry recipes

I have one, but I just have to find it for you! I think maybe I have too many books.

great -

Hoo boy, Trish. I'm afraid I'm no use to you. I consider Sara Lee to be a close personal friend of mine... Good luck!

I know but they don't make individual serves.:frown: and I am trying to be good Amy

I have this yummo recipe for Matches - puff pastry with a creamy vanilla filling - dusted with icing sugar

I want a blueberry /apricot type one with glaze ...

Ah. Hey, perhaps you have already thought of it, but could you maybe make something up? Could you boil some berries or stonefruit in sugary water til it thickens (like making jam), then whack a dollop in a pastry case? I think you can make a glaze with apricot jam - you heat it in the microwave until it gets runny, then brush it on thinly.
    Sorry - still not much help, not tried or tested by any means, but I'm seriously tempted to give it a go myself... Ooo, served with some custard... mmmmm

ETA: Those matches sound fantastic...

Hello, the only puff pastry I know how to do is prepackaged el cheapo freezer sheets. But here's what I do:

Cut into four squares, place some baked apple on one half triangle, squeeze some lemon juice, brown sugar and a sprinkle of mixed spice, then fold over (triangle shape), brush with milk/egg and sprinkle with sugar, and bake until it's puffed and ready.
    OR (this one's everyone's favorite)
    Cook a bunch of rhubarb with a big heap of sugar until it turns sloppy. Cut your puff pastry into squares, and plonk them into small ramekins so the corners are poking up around the sides of the ramekins. Put a couple of large tablespoons of the rhubarb into the middle and pinch the pastry corners together. Brush and sprinkle with sugar, then bake. Make sure you serve this HOT with the creamiest custard you can lay your hands on!!!

Definitely winter recipes (I hate to run my oven in summer) but worth the wait!!

thanks Snacks & Mary for your ideas.
    I have a nifty little microwave convection -it heats quick to 220 degrees - stops on time (so I don't burn anything ) and doesn't heat the house up.

Still got some Match filling and a new packet of puff pastry so will make some more tomorrow

Mmm, Marydean, that sounds very yummo.
    Well, I looked through all the books I thought I went through the other day, but cannot find the actual recipe I am looking for. I did however manage to find a recipe for all sorts of pastry; Shortcrust, Rich Shortcrust, Biscuit, Puff (which has very long instructions), Flaky Pastry (which says is easier to make than Puff), or Rough Puff Pastry (which is not as rich as Puff or Flaky, and easier to make)! I could type them all out for you, eventually, but I thought in the mean time I would give you the Flaky Pastry one, and also the little bit of what it says about it.
    I also found a couple of recipes for fruit tarlets, which I thought could be the sort of fruit filling preparation that might be the sort of thing you're after for apricots or blueberries.
    I'll type out the Pastry one first, then do another post for the fruit...

Flaky Pastry (also from Aust. Women's Weekly Cookbook 1970- this is a fantastic book if you can find it!)
    Flaky pastry is often used in place of puff pastry. It is much easier to make than puff pastry, and is delightfully light. It is often used for Continental-type pastries- thin layers of pastry sandwiched together with jam and cream.

2 cups plain flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 oz. butter
    approx 1/4 pint iced water
    1 teaspoon lemon juice

Sift flour and salt. Divide butter into 4 equal portions. Take one portion and rub it into flour with fingertips. Add water and lemon juice, mix to soft dough.
    Turn out on lightly floured board, knead lightly until no cracks appear in surface. Cover, let rest 15 to 20 minutes. Roll out to rectangular shape, about 1/4 inch thick; shape should be about 3 times as long as it is wide.
    Take second portion of butter, dot it in small pieces evenly over top two-thirds of pastry to within 1/4 inch of edge. Fold up bottom third, fold top third down. Seal open edges with rolling pin, give dough a half turn so fold is on right-hand side. Rest 10 minutes.
    Repeat rolling and dotting with butter procedures until all butter is used. Roll dough into rectangular shape after the last of butter has been used, fold into 3, and let rest 30 minutes. Then roll to desired shape.

I thought this one sounded pretty easy. Now on to the fruit tartlet recipe....

I have only included how to prepare the fruit from the Tartlet recipe. You would be able to put them onto any pastry base I would think.

Fruit for Fruit Tartlets (courtesy The Complete Margaret Fulton Cookbook 1974)
    These tiny fruit-filled glazes tartlets can be made with any fruits in season.

500g fresh fruit
    Glaze:
    1 cup jam (use apricot for pale fruits and redcurrant for red fruits)
    3 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Heat all the ingredients (for glaze, not fruit) over a gentle heat stirring until smooth. Strain through a sieve.
    Brush pastry cases with hot glaze. Pile the fruit into the cases. Brush the fruit carefully with the glaze until it glistens. Allow to set.

To prepare fruit:
    Strawberries: Wash, dry them carefully and hull. They can be left whole if small, sliced or halved.
    Apricots: Poach apricots in light syrup (125g sugar dissolved in 1 cup water) until just tender. Drain. Remove the stones. Small fruits may be used whole, larger fruits sliced or halved. Good quality preserved fruit may be used.
    Peaches and Plums: Prepare the same way as apricots.
    Grapes: Wash the grapes and remove the pips with the pointed end of a small sharp knife.
    Pears: If using ripe pears peel them and slice finely and arrange in the tartlet cases. Sprinkle with a little lemon juice to prevent them discolouring. If the pears are not quite ripe, peel them and poach in a light syrup until tender. Drain before slicing.
    Rhubarb: Young rhubarb must be washed well and cut into 3.5cm lengths. Poach in a light syrup and drain well.
    Mandarins: Peel the mandarin and separate the segments. Peel away the outside membrane and dry segments on paper towels before using.
    Cherries: Wash the cherries. Remove the stones with a small sharp knife. Dry before placing in the tartlet case.

thank you

Ok i just made some tonight... but the basic recipe I am going to work with any fruit (even tinned although I used fresh)

I got given a bag of nectarines from my gf tonight and I'm not a big stone fruit eater so i thought I'd make some tarts... I had some leftover puff pastry from some sausage rolls I made on the weekend... Anyway (I can ramble LOL) I found this recipe... but I'm going to tweak it to make danishes with tinned apricot halves

It was DELISH

Quick Nectarine Tarts

Cooking Time
    12 minutes
    Ingredients (serves 4)
    1 sheet frozen ready-rolled puff pastry
    1/4 cup light cream cheese spread
    1 1/2 tablespoons raw sugar
    Pinch of mixed spice
    4 nectarines, halved, stones removed, sliced
    Method
    Preheat oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Cut pastry into 4 squares. Place onto prepared tray.
    Using a wooden spoon, beat together cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of sugar and mixed spice. Spread over pastry squares. Arrange nectarine slices over top.
    Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Serve.
    Source

Super Food Ideas - March 2005 , Page 42

I had two of the little tubs of phili (they are about 40g each) leftover from making cream cheese icing... so I used both them and about 2 tbs of raw sugar. I also sprinkled a bit of sugar before cooking and after (but thats mostly because the nectarines weren't as ripe as they could have been). This recipe is great, the cream cheese is lovely and perfect for danishes... If making this from tinned apricots though I will pat dry the fruit so that it doesn't ruin the pastry. Marc's taking the leftovers for breaky at work tomorrow

YUM!

*hugs*
    Cailin

thanks sounds delish !