Thread: desserts for kids - reasonably healthy?

Default desserts for kids - reasonably healthy?

I'm not sure its possible to have a healthy dessert (not the way I make them anyway) but if anyone has some ideas or recipes, or can point me at a link that would be great.

What about custard, plain sponge, tinned fruit and jelly? Very easy and usually a winner with kids.

tinned and fresh fuit we do currently.
    Milo wont eat jelly, so thats out.
    I might check out some sponge recipes, thanks, I hadn't thought of that,

I am not good at custard, I always burn it on the stove, or explode it in the microwave.

LOL @ custard Slowly and surely if you use the packet mix it works well... fosters I think... I just nuke it for a min or 2 and whisk and repeat till thick enough...

Meringues? with fruche and fresh fruit?

Baked fruit, pastries with fruit, I make a really nice apricot frangipani gratin that paris and seth love and its quick and easy can serve with ice cream, or cream, or marscapone etc

*hugs*
    Cailin

ooh I might try baked apple with sultanas. hmm.., whats a gratin.. that sounds familiar, i should know..

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients (serves 4)
    1 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
    80g butter, softened
    1/2 cup caster sugar
    1 egg
    825g can apricot halves in natural juice, drained
    Method
    Preheat oven to 200C. Place almond meal, butter, sugar and egg in a food processor. Process until well combined.
    Arrange apricots, cut side down, in a shallow, 6-cup capacity ceramic baking dish. Spoon almond mixture over apricots and spread evenly to cover. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Serve.
    Notes & tips
    Note: When in season, you can use 8 fresh apricots, halved and stones removed.
    Source

Super Food Ideas - October 2006 , Page 48
    Recipe by Ready Steady Cook - Manu Feildel

I used 100gms almond meal and 25gms plain flour because the almond meal comes in 100gm or 200gm packets LOL and 125gms is a cup... And I used tinned peaches because I didn't have apricots. There is a pic of this on the taste website. It is absolutey DIVINE! You could lower the sugar content if you preferred...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks heaps Cailin.
    I *love* the taste website, I will check it out!

I got this one of the back of a Heinz box
    all ingrediants come from the baby isle in the supermarket.

PARTY PARFAIT

110g banana or egg custard
    1chopped ripe banana the riper the better
    110g yoghurt desert any flavour
    120g can baby canned fruit any flavour
    2 tbsp Multigrain banana breakfast
    110g fruit gel and flavour

METHOD:

spoon custard into 4 small cups

place chopped banana on top

mix yoghurt with fruit and cereal. Place this mixture on top of chopped banana

top of with gel.

I put a can of bakers apples into a baking tray with shortcrust pastry under and then sprinkle rolled oats with brown sugar and cinnamon on top, apple crumble!

Rhubarb crumple, apple crumble, pear crumble, peach crumble........I have shed loads of stewed fruit in the freezer and bags of crumble mixture too.......we have a crumble every weekend........my poor kids probably think it is the only desert that exists!

That said, they just have fruit or yogurt most days.

The one they think is a real "treat" is homemade icy poles.....I take all the cut fruit from the fridge (watermelon, pineapple, rockmelon etc) and put it all through the juicer and then freeze the nectar in icy poles.......

hey those icypoles sound great Lucy, plus I will get to use my tupperware icy pole makers!

oh yeah homemade icy poles is a favourite around here too... you can also mix in some natural yogurt in with the fruit juice, or just puree the fruit.

Why not thread some fruit - apples, bananas, kiwi, pineapple, mango etc etc onto bamboo skewers and put under the grill. Brush with some brown sugar mixed with a little melted butter to make a caramel type sauce. The sauce melts and really caramelises on the fruit and it's sooooo yummy. I remember doing this one from Year 9 Food Technology (i think it was year 9)

my kids love to have a range of fruit with a dip made from vanilla yohgurt and I put honey in it then they sit there and dip it they seem to really enjoy this, yummy some great ideas here

we make a smoothie from banana's, strawberries, vanilla yogurt, apple juice and water. We then freeze it and DH and the kids eat t like icecream. No added sugar (though there is sugar in the fruit and juice....).

At our school canteen they freeze pineapple rings or orange segments and the kids love them. Also frozen cups of unsweetened pineapple juice.