Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board?

Default Board?

DD#1 is now earning some $$ from a local take away shop... her first week she earned $85...

What is a reasonable amount to get her to pay in board?

Tanya

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Tanya,

I charged my DD one third of her pay at any one time.This seemed reasonable to me and it didn't take too much away from her. I wanted her to feel the pinch a bit IYKWIM. I put the money away for her without her knowledge though.
    Last edited by sushee; May 10th, 2009 at 07:50 PM.

Yeah thats what I'd to too Sush

I used to pay Mum $50 p/ft but I would buy other stuff too, like if she needed a bottle of milk or bread etc, I would offer to buy it. Mind you, that was 15 yrs ago LOL.

Oh gee... I think I am being too soft!!

Another way to do it is to agree on things that you will continue to pay for (like school-related expenses, uniforms, etc, basic food and her cost of attending family outings like the movies or a dinner) and what you won't, which would be all the rest - stupidly expensive jeans, outings with friends, I-Pods, mobile phone bills (I HATE kids having them BTW - I am a lawyer coped without one until 2 years ago LOL!). $85 won't go far.....

When I was still at school, my parents didn't charge me any board... the money I earned was for me giving up my weekends etc to earn money... I bought my own things that I wanted though. I also didn't receive as much pocket money once I was working.
    When I left school and started working... I was earning $485 per week and my parents charged me $50 for board.

I was allowed to live at home for free so long as I was going to school. But maybe a forced savings plan would be a good idea

DD doesn't pay board but she buys nearly all of her clothes and anything else she wants for herself. She also pays for any outings she might go on and will often buy dinner (takeaway) for the whole family. She also pays her own mobile bills.

I used to be charged $50 board as well, when I was working full time and had to pay for all my own bills (had my own phone line in my room)

Love

I was not charged board until i was working FT and even then it was only $50. During school years and working PT i did not recieve pocket money etc so my money was mine. Mind you i often bought my own toiletries and clothes and paid for my own outings to movies etc apart from the general food and bills etc i was quite self sufficient. If mum was ever a bit short i'd always help out though. Mind you my 22 yo sister lives at home still with her boyf and they have a combined income of about $125000/yr and they only pay $100 board for the 2 of them still to this day. This disgusts me as i feel they are taking my mum for a ride.....i often joke i should move in wth my DH etc and rent our house out. Sorry if too far off track but i got a bit carried away.

I think that 1/4 to 1/3 of her income is a reasonable amount to ask.

Sushee, I love your idea of putting it away for your DD - I'm going to try and remember that one for my boys
    Last edited by sushee; May 10th, 2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: removing my DD's name

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Yeah Dach, when she moved to her dad's I handed over nearly $1300 that I had saved for her. I put it in an internet savings account for her and luckily she's lost the password for it coz it's still sitting there earning interest. She tells me she pretends it's not there, so she's not tempted to spend it.

How's this? Work hadn't called Alecia for a week so DP told her to go in there and ask what was going.
    I dropped her off so she could go in and ask and when she got back in the car she said their response was that they are training other girls and will call her if she gets the position!! WHAT THE!!?? She was told she had the job and may be required up to 20hrs a week. She was really looking forward to having her own $!
    DP is really pi$$ed off 'cause he works with the son of the lady who runs the shop and feels like he has been lied to becuase he was told to tell her to go down there because theyr were looking for girls and she would have the job.

Poor Alecia looked so upset when she hopped back in the car

WTF? That's ridiculous. Either she has a job or she doesn't, jerking her around isn't fair.

Thats horrible. But now she knows what it's like to have her own money there are plenty of jobs out there. She'll get another one. I remember what it was like to lose my first job. It was at Clints & they had me on for the christmas rush, then got rid of me.
    My BIL doesn't actually pay board. Even though he works 2 jobs, but half his money goes away into savings. He can do what ever with the rest & buys pizza or chinese once a week for the family. He also shouts his Mum & Dad on occasion at the pub & if there is a bill or a bit of extra money needed for the kids he is the one who loans to the parents - not the other way around.
    Their situation is a bit different though as he has the mental age of about 10 - 13 & is a bit slow as he was born with fluid on the brain. So we have to keep an eye on him as he can be too generous & there are people out there he loves who ate taking advantage of him. Younger SIL tried it for a while & a girl he grew up with. Plus a few others.
    I'm hoping to do the same with my kids. I'll start with b'day money. No board as long as they put half of their earnings into savings & pay their own way. Long distance & mobile calls etc. Maybe a bit towards food power & petrol if I am to take them anywhere.

Thats terrible Tanya. Poor thing, DD has had friends that this has happened to, especially ones who work for small businesses. One of DDs friends worked at a cake shop franchise and they would call her in then send her home after an hour if it wasn't busy. DD works at Maccas and I have to say they have been very good to her and I am quite impressed with them as employers.

Hmmm, a similar thing happened to me when I was about 17/18. I was asked to work for a pub behind the bar and they told me that I didn't need any experience, they would train me. Well I learn fast and knew how to pour a beer really well by the end of the first night. But it was a fairly quiet night so I didn't mind when they said they wouldn't pay me until my training was over... however a week later (I worked every night) they said they would call but they didn't. My mum rang them because I didn't know how to handle it... I thought I had done the job really well, even during the busy periods, but my self esteem was pretty low back then. Anyhow... mum found out that this place had a reputation for "training" young adults for up to a week... then letting them go only to get another trainee... pffft! These days, if that happened to my DD I'd blow a whistle to the relevant authorities!!!

Anyhow, after that mum wouldn't let me work. I really wanted to but she said no, focus on your study. So she upped my pocket money and didn't accept board. I think I will do this too with my DD. Study is probably more important that having all the "must haves" these days. My DD is 13 and already has a mobile phone but she is really good with it, only using the $30 prepaid account every 6 months for emergency/necessary calls only. She also gets paid $20 a f/n into her bank account of which she can spend how she chooses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast