Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: But no one else is going!!!!!!

Default But no one else is going!!!!!!

Stupid school end of term. What's the deal????

DD in yr9 in again hassling me to end her school year NOW. All reports have been written, everything marked - no more work to be done, so what's the point in her going??

The school has sent some info, saying classes continue as normal this week, then "In School Activities" for the last week. It all sounds like bollocks - why does the school year end 2 weeks before end of term iykwim?
    I'd rather she go - the school has bothered to send a letter saying they all should go, but I have no leg to stand on when they are doing nothing of value.

What happens at your house and why do they do this????????

Hi Lulu -
    My school was a little bit different to this, they only had the last week as activities week - which apparently they do because the 'term' for public schools is i guess, legally not allowed to end until then. Either that or maybe the schools do it because it's and extra week of 'babysitting' / letting the parents have more time to finish up with work and whatnot.
    At my old high school our awards ceremony was normally at the end of this week and noone seemed to go after that...
    Personally i hated holidays so much i'd rather have had another week of routine and being able to see my friends!

Geez, I got robbed when I was at school then! I can recall having formal classes right up until the last few days. Somewhere in the last week would be the "Awards Ceremony" (which the Yr 12's came back to - go figure!) and reports were handed out on the second to last day. The last day was "clean up" and hardly anyone went. My Mum made me go one year and a whole 4 students showed up (out of the entire school!). Every year after that I let Mum think I was going to school but went to a friend's instead.
    Of course, the "Cool" teachers let us do "fun things" in the last few weeks...

I think the times, they are a-changing or something. I remember the last week being fairly 'easy' - clean up the school, trivia games etc, but not the last TWO weeks!
    I'm making her go till the end of this week - then sending her over to mums. My sister is there with her new bubs so she may as well make herself useful and change nappies......

haha good plan :P

mummycate Guest

Would she get into trouble if she's not there? Otherwise, I'd let her go a few days then screw it. Go to Nan's. Beats sitting in a classroom when she could be helping out cousin and aunty.

I don't think she would get in trouble, and her Aunty would love the help so off to nan's she goes!!

My parents are both teachers and as children in their house, we had to attend school till the very last second. I am for sending them there. It teaches them that even though you have nothing at work to do for the day, does not mean that you can stay home and sleep/watch movie, kwim. There are some days that you have little to nothing to do at work, but you still have to go. Does taking your child out of school early, because there are no more work for them, not teach them to be lax and not take responsibility? In a work situation, you would not like it when at the end of the year your workers does not pitch because "it's the last two weeks of the year", kwim??
    I know it sucks to go to school the last two weeks of the school year, but is it really THAT bad. Not one of my sisters or I had ever been truant - in high school (what they did at uni is a WHOLE other story). If you were sick, you went to the doctor and got a letter. If you were not that sick, you go to school and if you feel worse later in the day, you ask to be excused. It did not make me a bad person. I don't feel that I wasted that week or so. I feel proud that I attended school as were expected of me.
    I have to say that we did have LOADS of fun in those last week. We would have informal watersport competitions, have class BBQ's (sorta like a chrismas party), we cleaned the school and the boys repaired desks, we would practice sing-songs for the next year, have talent shows, some teachers would even begin with the following year's work (no kidding) - math and accounting. Our reportcards were handed out on the very last day, the very last period. If you were not there, you only get your reportcard the following year!!!!!!
    If you really want to take her out, let the school know that she is going to her nan's and that her "lift" leaves on that and that date and it would not be possible for her to attend. That is just good parent-teacher relations. IN MY OPINION!!

Nadine - you have hit the nail on the head. I really agree with you.
    I do not take this sort of thing lightly, but on the other hand - I'd rather her be of use to someone (ie-my sister) iykwim? If they are doing nothing at school...

The other issue, is that I really try to keep the respect thing up with the school. I always call to let them know she won't be attending and I expect DD to make sure she gets her homework from a friend if she is absent. It's not a cakewalk around here if you want a day off school. If she miraculously recovers from an illness (as is likely after 11am) she has been put to work doing housework. I know that might sound mean, but she now understands that it's not a day OFF, it's a day to recover from being sick (and let me say, if she is sick, she is sick - I don't make her load the dishwasher in the middle of a fever iykwim?).

The school has this very uncool "it's not ok to be away" program and if the kids are away without the parents notifying, the school sends out this gay-ass brochure banging on about how the parents and school need to be in partnership to better the childs education, blah, blah, blah.
    Thing is, if you ever want to talk to the teacher about missed homework, or want to clarify something I never get a call back. I have a few times called to speak to her teachers to check she doesn't fall behind (only when she has been away for more than 2-3 days, I'm not a psycho), or to further enquire about the Student Exchange program, or even RETURN a teachers phone call. I get SQUAT.

That turned inot a rant didn't? I suppose I'm saying how can the school expect respect and partnership when it doesn't give it?? rant, rant

There's not much point in her being there to be honest. I remember going some of those days, cos staying at home was pretty boring, we just ended up helping teachers pack their stuff up, or jamming in the music department, or playing tennis...once reports are written, and there's a week to go...
    There's only so many Christmas word-searches a teenager should be subjected to!

I understand that school goes on a week or so after business wraps up, so there's time to sort out the last minute stuff...but I remember that not many others went! We all met at school, and went shopping or to the city - with our parents knowledge. They knew how it went. Especially as we got older, I think for younger students, they try to entertain them, keep them occupied a bit more. As you get older though, they just tell you not to come!

Sounds like she'd be more help (and less bored!) at her nan's.

ETA: Yeah but Nadine, going to work, where you FIND something to do because that's your responsibility is different to going to school because you have to and then teachers saying 'umm...I guess...you can do another crossword?' I totally agree about instilling good work ethics, but honestly, if we're talking about not wasting time, I'd send her to her nans for sure!
    -sorry I was a bit slow to reply to you there...

Ok psycho Lulu
    I did not, for one second, thought of you as a person that would just let her stay home and do NOTHING. I was generalising (sp - is that a word??) You sound like you handle her school and sick days like my parents did. Hence why we NEVER got sick on a Friday, because then you have to stay in bed the whole weekend.
    I hear your frustration about the school not upholding their end of the "relationship" so to speak. That is not good. But like I say, don't ask, just tell the school she will not be attenting that last week, because she is needed else where. She is after all your child and they can't do anything about it, perhaps bore you to death with the "it's not ok to say away" thing.
    See here comes in that silly white-lie thingy. You could tell them that she must start her vacation job (not really a lie - helping a aunt with a baby could be a babysitting job?!?)
    Good luck

I'm sorry Nelle but if you really want to, you could FIND something to do at last week of school, because even though you don't have the "job-responsibiliy" you have one to your parents who is paying for that last week.
    And another thing - if everyone jumps in the fire, because there is nothing else to do ... would you??
    Not attacking anyone, just thinking out loud gloves away

Oh Nadine, I didn't take offence you know!

It is a silly conundrum, I think the institution should be respected and I know how hard all the teachers work........but I don't have much of a leg to stand on when DD argues!! He hee.

She is a good kid and does well academically. Thankfully she is looking forward to spending time with her Aunty. Got to keep her occupied. It appears she has a boyfriend (and I don't like him), but that's a whole 'nother thread!

But WHY Nadine? (I went to a public school, by the way, so a week off wasn't money wasted. )

WHY try and do something like polish school trophies, or re-label sports equipment or reorganise library books when I've just finished all my tests and exams and am due for holidays? You see the teachers straining to find you something to do, you say 'what can I do to help' and they say 'ummmm...'

There's nothing to be gained from staying at school that extra week, if the school has nothing planned. You don't gain a sense of responsibility because there's nothing to take responsibility for. You're at school to be educated, but that's finished for the year! I know many schools have an 'activity week' where a few teachers take any students left at school on excursions. The school makes it very clear though - there's nothing to do here, no point coming, just go on holidays already so we can tidy will you!

And, my mum was similar Lulu, I never faked sickies cos I was too extroverted anyway (would rather be sick and see my friends!) but she would always make us go to sports days, school breakfasts, etc. But even she would say, well, you can stay home in the last week if you want, especially as we got older.

I know
    I agree, it is a silly spot to be in and I know how you feel about arguing your "half-leg" with your DD. I was a very good and obediant teenager, but my sisters - pheww - gave my mom and dad greyhairs!!

maybe a good thing then getting her away from the boyfriend ship her to her aunty, pronto!!!

You get free high school education?????? Really???? Wow. We have public schools and even if your parents are teachers - you have to pay!!

WHY try and do filing, clean the clutter from your desk, count stock, bind old files, repaint your office when you have just finished your daily chores and are due for a tea break?? I see myself straining, sitting infront of my desk going hmmmm what else is there to do :P :P
    In Lulu's case, the school made it clear that the kids must NOT stay away. They sent out letters. If your school was ok with it's pupils not coming in the last week - great, but Lulu's DD's school clearly aint.

I hear you and I respect your opinion, it's just not how I feel about it. And that is what makes life interesting - different opinions and point's of view.

We always had to go to school on the last day as kids. But as we got older, say around grade 9-10, if we had nothing on at school we would be allowed to stay home. Lots of helping around the house though.
    In grade 10, school finished 1 or 2 weeks before the end of the term. grade 11 we finished 2 weeks before end of term and grade 12, i think it was 2-3 weeks earlier. Don't know if that was just our school or what the deal was there?

Last year when i sent DD (8) to school for the last day, they washed out the draws that slide under their desks! Between her class and the one next door there were about half a dozen kids out of about 58! They had hardly any friends to play with and she was so bored. she was so glad to come home.

Sounds like a good plan to send her to her nan's Lulu

Nic

I feel cheated now. In primary school the last day was play-day, but in seniors we worked til the end. Sometimes we had lessons outside (ecology was a summer topic, and lit. classes outside were fun) but not that often.

If the school insisted the children attend then do not provide anything to do then I would make a written complaint. If there is nothing to learn then why insist a child attends?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast