Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: But no one else is going!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I guess I didn't take into consideration too much the letter that Lulu got...

I'd call her coordinator Lulu, and see what they think about her going or staying. If you chat to them, and they think there's not a whole lot of point in her going, especially if she has alternative plans, then at least you can have a bit of peace about her staying away.

I have no idea, but I wonder if the letter isn't because kids don't attend school in that week, but meet in front of the school and take off from there (as in, don't stay home, but all hang out together), and perhaps cause trouble, or don't tell their parents they're not attending...that kind of thing. I know there used to be more kids at the movies, shopping centres, parks, lakes, just hanging out in those weeks.
    Okay, definitely bed.

Rosehip - As seniors at our school, our and every other senior year before us, spent the last day sitting in an airconditioned room nursing hangovers from the formal the night before.
    They would herd the seniors into a room to keep them from the rest of the school. The senior teachers would drop by and sit around and chat.
    (Sorry for hijacking Lulu)

Nic

Yeah, seniors used to get priveleges, but it seems all the school gets them too!
    Secondary school is such a world away from Primary....

anyway, I've had a think. Over a hundred able bodied and bored students, mixed with an older community that needs lawns mowed, dogs walked or maybe some company. HA - they can get out into the world and help others for a week.
    I might call the school and see what they think for next year.
    But I won't tell DD till I can get something organised!!!!!!!

It is about legality.... they cannot legally tell students not to come to school, even after all the work is finished and they are pretty much doing nothing...

In my experience, most teachers prefer students don't go, but they can't actually say that. That's what used to happen in my high school (mum worked in the school) and in the schools where I do work placement and volunteer work.

good plan LULU ..not sure if teenagers would like it . hehe ..
    i hated school . i didnt have a reason to stick around ..but i always folloewd the rules , turned up when i had to (sometimes ) ...

but i guess teenagaers think that teenagers matter , not any one else ... and if a mate is doning something then they have to do it ..

on the other hand i wouldnt want my child to be teased for having to do something no one else is doing .. i want them to look back at high school and have happy memeoreis not shameful one (like i did) ....

BUT on the flip side ... if you make them "stick to the rules" its not so bad .... they be angry for a while , but in a few weeks they will forget about it and move on ... you are the adult .. you set the scene ..

hope im making sense .. just trying to come from differnt angles ..

Oh.... Lulu..... Just for the record... I used to volunteer for the last two weeks of school... at the local primary school, as they are usually only doing christmas activities, helps the teaches out with cleaning up, and it gives your DD something to do (and usually a few break up parties or a free trip to sea world or australia zoo with the kids!!!!! HEHE!). I used it as kind of a taster of a job I might want to do when I leave school (i'm studying education now). My sister volunteered at the local vet practice. A friend of mine did some work in an aged care home and respite centre...

Maybe your DD could organise a group of friends (probably for next year now) and do some volunteer work to help someone. Spread some Christmas cheer, and they'll probably enjoy it too.

I think the reasoning behind it is that students have to be at school for x amount of hours every year to be able to graduate to the next year. It has changed in the last 10-15 years to be more, which is why they have to stay at school closer to Christmas (remember as kids we used to get around 10 days before Christmas off?) and then start earlier (we started early march & now it's a full month earlier). I have no idea why it has changed though.

I think if there is no curriculum and they aren't "needed" there its not a problem. I remember the trouble we used to get up to out of pure boredom in those last few weeks and I feel sorry for those poor teachers! I think if you have something more constructive for them to do then thats great. I'd check with the co-ordinator like someone else suggested then just tell the school she's taking leave early. I can tell you now I'll be doing that if we have the same situation. And I think you're a wonderful mother for considering this.

Alecia isn't going She nagged and nagged.

I can remember what I used to do at the end of school year... wag. I spent a week or so pretending to go to school and went and hung out with friends instead.

Alecia can help me out instead. Tomorrow she is going to my sisters to babysit my nephews so she can do arvo shift.

I don't see the harm in letting her stay home, but if she sets one foot out of line she will be going to school, if she doesn't help out here she can go to school. Last thing I need is a bored teenager at home being a PITA!! LOL

chubbycheeks Guest

in our house, if nothing of value is happening, the kids don't need to go, but if classes are still on, they have to go!

my 13yo goes to a catholic high school and they finished at the end of november this year and it was such a relief! i wish the public school would finish earlier too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12