Thread: discharge in pre teen girls? May be TMI (sorry)

Default discharge in pre teen girls? May be TMI (sorry)

I was wondering if others have noticed lots of discharge/wetness/staining on their pre teen daughters underpants.

My dd has always been a bit lazy with wiping etc, but I am starting to think that some of this is unrelated to urine and may infact be discharge from the vagina as a pre puberty thing. Isn't it funny but I don't remember if I was like that, I guess it wasn't an important thing to remember. Does/has anyone else noticed this? My dd is 10 and a half.

Cheers Michelle

Jackie Guest

It's quite normal, some girls start earlier than others, just their bodies getting ready for what's to come. My DD has discharge since she was about 12-13 and has only now started with periods nealy 15...

My periods started when I was 10, and I do believe that discharge happened as well at sometime.. (how vague my memory is lol).. Discharge can sometimes feel like its taking over your life.. lol

Maybe you could buy her some panty liners.. there are some really cool, really tiny ones out.. (I have some really tiny libra green ones, I just checked, and theyre called "Libra Fresh Very Thin Everyday Liners).. then you might be able to casually give them to her.. like.. hey I found these at the shop etc... Or you could try a 'talk'. Either way... you could always remind her that if shes worried about anything like that, then she can talk to you and you'll help her out..

I do think its pretty normal though.

Hey Mitch, before Alecia got her AF (when she was 9) she got a discharge. I can't remember for how long after the discharge started she got AF... but I'm sure it won't be too long... have you had you 'talk' ...lol

Tanya

Hi Tanya- yeah I had a general perod talk at xmas cos I wanted to be the one to tell her, not leave it to the gr 6 girls at school, she is in grade 5. So she knows about it. I hope it doesn't happen for her until sometime next yr ar later though as it is such a pain and having it earlier than others is even worse. Poor Alecia getting it so early, how did she cope?

The discharge is mainly clear and it may be worse as she prob doesn't wipe properly I think.
    Cheers Michelle

Alecia was fine with getting her period early. She was the only girl in her class... very small school. There was a girl who was older than her, but I'm not sure how early she got hers. The only prob I have with it is that she doesn't wrap her pads when she disposes of them... something I am adament about! But she is learning... slowly! I bought her some special little bags to use. Seems to be woking.

Tanya

I guess she really has no choice but to cope hey! What else could she do, but it's not very fair.

I think we will prob have similar probs with Jordan as she is lazy.
    Michelle

froofy Guest

Yes, I started getting that a lot when I was 10-11. Then I got my period when I was 11 and a half. At the time, it really freaked me out and embarrassed me, but i didn't want to ask anyone about it lol.

I am thinking that I need to have the talk with Emma, she will be 10 in December but I just don't know where to begin. I don't want to do it too early and freak her out. Emma is an advanced reader, so do you think it would be a bad idea to give her a book to read and then answer the questions or should we make a special time to sit and read together and then I can answer the questions as I go along. Hmmm I think I jsut answered my own question LOL ... does anyone know any really good books (apart from Where do I come from?)

Cheers

Hi Kelly,

Even though i have not yet had to do this but when i was about 10 my mum gave me some books to read about this subject which i am so glad she did because i got my first period like 6mths later! Spose it might have been her gut instinct! But i reckon she wouldn't be freaked out, she might even know a bit from school and friends etc. At my school they had an info session when i was in yr4.

I didn't want to just give the book, I had a casual chat with jordan one day while we were driving in the car and started with stuff abouthow soon her body would start to change and did she know about any of the changes? She actually brought up periods herself cos kids at school had said stuff. I like to think that cos I was open with chatting to her she will feel comfy to come to me with questions. I brought a book from Doubleday bookclub, something about Usborne book of everything kids need to know abour growwing up! I haven't given it to her yet though cos I want to have a look through it and see what is in there. In gr 5 this yr they do a brief few sessions on puberty which she found useful.

Good luck with it all.

Cheers michelle

Lee-Ann Guest

My daughters have known about getting a period from quite a young age. My 11 yo got her first period last year but it only happened the once, after that I have noticed discharge on her underwear but I know her body is obviously getting ready for when she'll start getting her period regularly. I've chatted openly about things with my 11 yo too and I let her ask me questions. My 11 yo also started sex ed this year at school so I feel like it's all fallen into place quite naturally and I've been able to elaborate or explain things that she's asked about. But she has a very healthy attitude to it all because I haven't turned it into a taboo subject and I have always been very open and honest with her, so to her it's all a very natural process.