Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound wierd to anybody else??

Jackie Guest

She wont be the only one not making the vagina, two girls parents have already told the school that their daughters will not participating. I wouldn't be surprised if the lesson is scrapped..

Sex education is incerdibly important and very worthwhile.... when done correctly. But let me just say that exercise is completely pointless in the sense of teaching sex education, and instead simply supplied the immaturity of 15 year old boys with something to upset and embarass others about.

Wouldn't be happy with that one at all. Im thinking stupid stupid teacher.

Keen

I remember one of our male "health" teachers was a dirty perv,
    as well as checking out the girls, he would NEVER discourage sexist comments from the boys, which were frequent. I remember him laughing when my friend was referred to as "cheeky" when she had her sport shorts on. Yeah, they were short shorts, but still...!
    That teacher would have been early 20's... I don't wanna freak you out Jackie, but maybe you should ask your DD a couple of subtle questions about this guy! Sounds like something a perv would do...

Jackie Guest

Yeah of thought of that, he is also her sports teacher, I'm glad they are allowed to wear long pants....

He actually thought the boys comments were funny, which I also brought up when I was at school this morning.

A friend of mine has a daughter in the same class, she rang up the school as well, she spoke to the same person I did, but is extremly upset in the way she was treated, mind you she was pretty peeved at the time and is likely to have started off on the wrong foot. She is going to see the principal on Teusday with a friend of hers who is teacher and have a serious talk to him about the coordinators attitude...

I found the coordinator very forthcoming, so am a bit surprised by this. Then again, she probably had quite a few calls today and would have been on edge herself by that time...

yeah thats totally wierd and its all wrong that the teacher didn't stop the boys from making innappropriate comments. Surely they should assign a less creepy teacher for health.
    On the whole I prefer co-ed teaching but in the area of sex education I think that the genders should be seperated so that everyone can talk a bit more franky without embarresment .

Jackie Guest

OMG, I just hear some more snippets about the "health ed" class... talking about mutual masturbation and anal penetration....

I think I'm paying another visit to the school..

My idea of sex ed is to teach kids about safe sex, contraception, STD's etc. Definitely not the topics they are covering, if this isn't inviting kids to try it out, what is??

I don't think the next talk will be as nice as the last one I had with the coordinator!

I don't believe this guy... actually I do, and that's probably what scares me more.
    In the meantime make sure your DD and her friends know to look out for each other...!
    And when you do make that visit to the school, just wait in the carpark until this guy comes out and kick him in the nuts!

hmmm... doesn't sound like any health ed class I ever went to...

Let us know how you go, Jackie.

Hmmm, seems like I have a different take on this to a lot of the people on here... When I did sex ed it was always with diagrams etc., and I would have found it really useful to have a 3-d model at some point! It actually took me quite a while to relate what I'd learned with the "real thing" IYKWIM.

Obviously if your DD is not comfortable with it, that's totally different, and I think it would have been much better if the teacher/school had made it clear to parents what the content of the course was. But I do think diagrams (at least the sort I got) are totally useless for teaching people about sex.

The inappropriate comments sound pretty bad. I hope you can get things sorted out with the school, as you shouldn't have to worry about what the teacher is saying, and he should definitely be keeping the students in line!

Melinda Guest

Gosh....I am frightened by what I have read here! This teacher sounds VERY suspect IMO!! I would have been mortified if I had been asked to make such a thing when doing sex-ed when I was at school!!! I would have been very embarrassed at that age, and felt very uncomfortable about it!!

I can totally understand your concern and I really think it is highly inappropriate. Sex education is obviously VERY important and diagrams are obviously a necessary part of this, but I'm not sure I understand why physically making a penis or a vagina would really help anything, let alone the other issues that have been brought up.....that is just disgusting, that's all there is to it. This teacher should NOT be a teacher!!

I'llbeFrank Guest

Well, as the worse half of Jackie, all i can say is that it's plain wrong.
    I've had no sex-ed class in school, i much enjoyed finding all the tid bits out on the way, at my own leaisure.. not to mention pleasure.
    I dare say that i would probably have quite a problem drawing an authentic looking female watchamacallit without a willing model sitting in, yet i did ok handling the subject, i think.

It's a typical over reaction that we can, as always, expect from our so called "leaders". We need sex education, right, but we do not need to give even diagrams on how sex is performed, let alone hands on exercises. If that was a necessary part of being able to perform sex, then we wouldn't be here. This is one of the most natural parts of life and i'm yet to meet anyone at the right age not knowing how it would be done. At first clumsily, yes, but practice maketh perfect.
    The emphasis was always on safe sex, due to STDs, especially AIDS and the fact that teenagers are being lead onto sex by even fairy tales now, but some morons in the education system have obviously decided that this should involve knowledge on a Gyno's level.
    Next we'll have sex rooms, so sex crazed teeneagers can go and have "safe sex" ? Like with shoot up rooms ? Brilliant !

This is crazy and i'm getting peeved off even more as i write this, so i'll just shut up. Hm.. maybe that kick in the teacher's balls would be better coming from me, i used to play soccer.

Where is that damn punching bag ? Oh Duuuuuke, here boy.. :-)

Jackie, the latest subjects covered that you mentioned are a definate no no in my book, I think that is taking things way too far. For these sorts of classes, parents should be given a schedule of what is being discussed so they know about it before hand, and their child can sit that one out if needs be.

He sounds a bit suspect to me too, I would be taking it very seriously. Do the girls feel incomfortable around him at all?

I dunno, maybe it is old fashioned (although i am not old) but i think these subjects are better taught by a female, i think the boys are more respectful around an adult female discussing these things.

Woah... I cannot believe the comments that have come out of that teachers mouth!!
    Surely something like anal penetration should not be a topic of discussion for 15 yr old?? Was it the teacher who brought that topic up, or a student?? Not that it should really make any difference...

I think this guy definately needs to be looked into.

And as for making models of genetalia... I really do not see the point! (unless they were studing gynaecology etc)
    It sounds really suss...

Jackie Guest

Latest update...

I spoke to principal today, who has had many angry parents phoning and visiting him.
    The subject used to elective, so there was previously no need to send anything to the parents.
    The teacher is new to the school, he had asked a few other teachers whether any letters had previously been sent to parents, they of course said no and somebody told him the school had a kit to make genetalia.. the principal said that he thinks the teacher should have started the class off with discussions to see what the kids already new and to get a feel of how comfortable the kids would be in relation to various issues. The class has now been restructured totally, for some subjects the nurse will take the girls seperatly and in all classes the nurse(female) will be present.
    The prinicpal hasn't yet seen the questionare re. the masturbation but will be having a look at it,I made it very clear that if it comes up in class as a subject that I would take the matter further. It's one thing if one of the kids has a question and the teacher answers it, but whole different kettle of fish if it is actually taught.
    Apparently the principal has had words with the teacher, so hopefully there will be no more surprises
    I have asked for a lesson plan for the rest of the term to be mailed to me, which he is happy to do.
    Just hope that this is the end of it all.

Good on you Jackie. Thanks for the update!

Jackie, that is fantastic that it has been looked into and modified accordingly. Good to hear that the female nurse will be attending all sessions now as well.

Good on you Jackie for standing up for what you believe in - so many people would just let that stuff go by the way side..

Way To Go Supermum! \/

Keen

WTG Jackie, handled brilliantly! great about the female nurse, definately a better option!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast