Thread: Legal

Default Legal

As 18 is the "Legal" age in Australia for children to drink and vote do you think this age should be moved up higher or down lower and why?

Our kids have each a bank account, with money going in by my wealthy father and ourselves, so they already have a nice little nest egg. My sister and I are careers of the money for my kids and her kids money. First my dad and sis agreed they wouold not be allowed to have the money till they have turned 18. A few years after this I decided NO as my son is alsmot 17 and I do not see him mature enough to have such a amount of money at 18. SO I asked them would they both agree to change it till they are 21 and they both agreed.

So I ask this question as when do you think kids are mature enough to do these things, such as drink, smoke blah blah, your own personal opinion, and there will be no judging or debates. I just want to see how many do think it should be up and who dont.

My son thinks I stink because of changing it till he is 21 but I dont want him blowing all that money and wasting it, when he could have enough to put a desposit on a home or car if he works and saves too .

Do you think I am being unfair?

It's a hard one because it depends on the child. Some children are really responsible at 16. I know a young woman who's parents let her move into one of thier flats at that age with her sister because she was mature and able to handle the responsibilty. She thrived on it, got a great HSC and is currently excelling at uni. On the other hand some people still seem really immature long after they reach adulthood. Not mentioning any names but I know a 25 year old who lives at home and his mummy tidies his room every day - she enables him so it's as much about her as him....
    I think that 18 is as good as any other age because the majority of people of that age are capable of making choices by then with some idea of consquences.
    Then again most girls mature earlier than boys so maybe for boys the legal age should be 21 rofl.
    Last edited by Phteven; October 21st, 2007 at 04:17 PM. Reason: because i can

No, I don't think you're being unfair. And I think it depends on each child too. With me I think I was a lot more mature than my brothers are when I was their age, and I had a plan i.e. going to uni, etc. And I was in a serious relationship (with DH). So, I think these things made me more mature and I would have spent money on more useful things than they would! They are still at the partying stage whereas I was more mature at their age so I guess it just depends on their personality, what stage their at, and what's going on in their life. If you don't think he's ready then I think you would know best and it's a good decision!

ETA- Oh, I just said the same thing as dachlostar but that wasn't there when I posted, lol.

Hmm well its a,lot of money to blow if he decides to spend it on his friends or on one minute thought through things. I know at that age I would have not spent it on wise things and I was a mother of two children then. They are only coming out of school, want to party and enjoy some freedom. Not be thinking about serious things to put a load of worries on them kwim? My hubbie said no changing it now, lmao. At 18 my hubbie was a daddy to our first child and he was till doing stupid things.

And yes Girls definatley mature quicker than boys!

FWIW I think that the age that you can sign up for the armed forces should be the same as the age that you can vote. It seems very wrong to me that a person can be sent to war but not be allowed to have a say in thier leaders.

dachlostar 100% AGREE! So well said, omg I sooooooooooooooo agree wth you there!

I was talking about this with Dh the other night after watching Insight on SBS and they were asking young first time voters about who would they vote for etc. And I commented that I think the voting age should be raised mainly becuase so many young people have no idea, nor interest on how this country's voting system works etc, plus many young people would be influenced by their upbringing - ie who their parents vote for, so it isn't really an accurate vote kwim? They haven't lived long enough to know what they want their polititians to do for them.

That said though, I wish it could be raised based on the individual LOL - my brothers were no where near mature enough to do a lot of things at 18 - being in control of money would be like giving a kid the key to the candy shop.

In regards to drinking though, the US has 21 as their legal age, and I bet there would be so many in the 18-20 age bracket getting busted drinking. They really should consider it, especially when you've got the likes of Lindsay Lohan who is only just 21 being able to go out clubbing etc with no real repercussions (until now ) it makes a mockery of it.

i guess with just the money side of things in the long run ur his mum u knwo wat he is like so u will know when he is ready. one of my friends got a big payout because apparently her grandfather raped her but it was all bull that her mum made up cause her mum wanted money. she got her money at 18 and her mum expected to give her most of the money but because it was all legally in my friends name she spent all of it and her mother didnt get a cent. hehehe that prob hasnt got much to do with ur situation but just saying even some parents cant handle money. so when u think he is ready and i guess int eh long run he will thank u if u help him get a house rather then blow it on stupid crap

hmm this is a tricky situation! Every child is different...

example...at 19 my younger sister was only interested in clubbing, smoking, drinknig etc.

At 19 I was getting married and wanting to start a family.

I think its very responsible of you to acknowledge that your DS doesnt seem mature or ready enough yet.

Sherie I hear ya, I really do!

sassy123, wow what a women "NOT". Karma is a biatch ah?

Danii, thank you sweetie, I just want him to own his own home and be set for the future kwim?

I think thats great of you to try and set your kids up. I think he will be very grateful as soon as he is ready

IMO, most people I have known have not been mature enough to handle alcohol, their vote or large sums of money before the age of 25.
    For my children, they will not be getting their monies until they are 25... to me, it makes them have to strive for their own personal goals first... not sit back and rely on the fact that there is money in the bank for them to buy their first cars with etc.

I understand what you're saying Lisa...but what if Madeleine follows in footsteps similar to mine?

I am 22 now... would you still make her wait until she is 25?

Im certainly not having a go darl, im just curious

Lisa I sooooooooooooooooooooooooosee what your saying I wanted it to be 25 but was out numbered with my dad and sis.Each kid gets the money at the same age and they were ok with me changing it till they are 21. My son is going for his license now so will have to work for a car which he is doing. So he cant use the money for that I just realised he he, he still has 4 years till he can have the money anyways, so I want him to have a home of his own.

I know where you are coming from Soul and I agree.
    Dh came from a wealthy family and while he was school he was also working for his father and started to earn his own money, he wasn't allowed to spend it as it all went into a type of trust fund. When his parents went bankrupt, Dh was 12 and had approx $25,000 in the bank and because he had control of the money handed it over to his parents. While I agree what he did was helpful to his parents, I can also see that if he had not given that money to his parents, when he turned 21 , we would have had a nice deposit on a house.I hope that makes sense.

Danni,
    I was 18 when I had James, and 21 when I had Madeleine... I was very mature also and had been for most of my life.
    I can honestly say that had I been given a decent amount of money at the age of 18 or even 21, the money would not have been spent wisely. It most likely would have gone on a car, travel or something similar for my kids. So, I guess even if Madeleine was mature, I would still want to wait until she is older... I would prefer for the money to be used as a step toward a home

no probs Lisa. Im sorry I didnt realise you had your kids young.