Thread: TTC after newborn death

Default TTC after newborn death

Hi all,

I am just wondering what advice people had been given after a newborn death (neonatal death) about when to start TTC again. Especially those who'd had a caesar.

We've been told to wait at least 6-9 months for my caesar scar to properly heal and to give my body time to recover from Nikita's birth. That was roughly the time frame we were going to allow ourselves anyway (New Year, new luck) but I am concerned about leaving it so long also.

I am worried it may take us longer this time to fall in, or that I will have another early mc. DH doesn't want to budge on the time frame because the Ob said thats how long we should wait. I feel like I want to start trying in a few months time and this is starting to cause problems.

Anyway,

I am just wondering how long people who have been in a similar situation waited etc.

Nae x x

I haven't ever lost a newborn (sorry to hear about Nikita ) But i have had 3 c/s.. We started trying right after we had Ds2 as it takes us a while to get pg. I don't think I was ever told a time frame. I think they recommend not trying for at least the 6-9 months so if you all pg right away it will have been 18 months since the c/s when ou give birth.. kwim?

I think it is a personal decision but for me as I said it took us a while so we started trying right away and as it is it took 10 months.. We lost that baby but 2 months later were pg again and had Ds3..

Hope that helps some..

Thanks Nic,

Do you know if having a cs makes it harder to fall pregnant? did you expereince any pain or anything relating to the cs wound with your following pregnancies?

Nae x

Hi Nae Nae,

I am sorry for your loss. God must have a very special place for little Nikita.

I had my little in August 2007 via c/s. It was c/s #2 for me. I fell pregnant in April 2008 (8-9 months later) to #3 which i unfortunately lost. I did have some pain in my c/s scar whilst i was pregnant since it had not been 12 months since having my little girl. I asked the ob about my c/s pain and he said it was because the scar had not had enough time to heal properly. He reassured me that it would be o.k.

So, i think probably wait until the time frame which the dr. has suggested and then TTC.

Goodluck.

I'm not sure to be honest.. It took me a year each time to fall pregnant.. Except with my first. I think that was 4 months and i had a natural delivery with him.. I think it took 9 months after Ds3 to fall pg with our DD.. I have long cycles (well not now but I did) and I eventually worked out I ovulated late...

I only got a bit of pain in my last pregnancy but I wouldn't say it hurt as such.. The Dr told me it would be to do with scar tissue but when they took DD out they said I had very minimal scar tissue for someone onto thier 3rd c/s

I haven't ever lost a newborn but with regards to the waiting for the scar to heal from your CS, we were pregnant with our DD whan our DS was 11 months old. I didn't have any problems or pain from my CS scar.
    Good luck with everything, I hope 2009 brings you the blessing of a brother or sister for Nikita. xxx

Hi Nae Nae. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my beautiful girl at around 22-23 weeks, so I kind of know what you're going through. I didn't have a casear though, and was told to wait 3months (as I had to have a rubella shot). I'd say start when you feel ready. You're doctor obviously gave that time-frame for a reason, but only you know when you're ready. I know the desire, or need, to have another baby as soon as possible.... but the main thing is that you're ok with it and ready.

Nae Nae - I`m so sorry to hear of your loss

Regarding c/secs I had a c/sec with my first at my 6 week check up I asked about trying again, we wanted our babies close in age, he said I was fine to go home as start TTC straight away, he doesn`t recommend conceiving within 6 weeks of the birth that`s all. I conceived number 2 when bub number 1 was just over 5 months, I then went on to have a VBAC 15 months after my C/sec.

All the best with your decision.