Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double Trouble

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

suggestion for a new reply to double trouble

pfft - you should be jealous TWINS ROCK !

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on in ages but when I saw this I just had to reply! And PMSL!

Motherduck, the whole identical thing cracks me up! I mean seriously since when has anyone seen an identical set of boy/girl twins??? I used to be polite but now I say, "No they aren't identical as one has a penis and the other a vagina" or I say "You cant be serious asking me that" The blank look you get is priceless.
    When I get asked if its two boys and Char is dressed head to toe in pink I say "Yeah, I really really wanted one of each. I hope it doesn't affect him when he gets older!" Again I get the blank look!

As for the Doudle Trouble, Two terrors comments. That just ****s me no end!I had a full on arguement with a lady once as she just kept going on and on about Double Trouble. I asked her how she would possibly know and it turns out she had twins. She said it was awful and that she wished she never had twins to start with! I nearly fainted. I told her that my two are just gorgeous and I have never had a day where I wished that. I told her some people desevr twins and are lucky to be given them and that obviously god got it wrong when he gave them to her! And then I walked off!

Twice as Nice, Twins Rock, Double Delight, Twice the Love, right on!!! I'd have another set tomorrow!!!

Love Kel!

Kel,

You had me in tears of laughter!

Today I had Gemma and Teagan in pink outfits. A little old lady says "oh my identical twins how gorgeous" and I replied with a polite "thank you" and she said "how nice is it to have one of each?" I said "what do you mean?" she says "you know a boy and a girl" and I said "well how are they identical then?" "well they look the same, just a boy and girl" I giggled and walked away-IDIOT!

chriscoop Guest

Quote Originally Posted by btm2506 View Post
    Kel,

Today I had Gemma and Teagan in pink outfits. A little old lady says "oh my identical twins how gorgeous" and I replied with a polite "thank you" and she said "how nice is it to have one of each?" I said "what do you mean?" she says "you know a boy and a girl" and I said "well how are they identical then?" "well they look the same, just a boy and girl" I giggled and walked away-IDIOT!
    That's so funny. People are really stupid...

I have to add this here I once read a comeback for the "are they twins?" question "no they're triplets we left one at home"

PMSL at pansy. That's great!

I 'hate' to say it but a mum at playgroup said to me she used to hate the 'double trouble' too ... now she says it's true - her id twin boys are 2 in July.

They are very cute but cheeky and mischievous now ... a sign of things to come LOL

suga - don't want to disagree but they can hardly be 'identical' if one has a accessory and the other a :female: so never truly identical

but they can be semi identical as you describe

The case of the 'semi-identical' twins
    Will Dunham
    Reuters
    Tuesday, 27 March 2007

Identical, non-identical or something in between? (Image: iStockphoto)
    A pair of twins somewhere between identical and non-identical have stunned scientists who have just published the results of extensive genetic tests on the two young children.

The scientists are referring to the children as 'semi-identical' and say they probably arose when two sperm cells fused with a single egg, a previously unknown way for twins to form.

With non-identical or fraternal twins, the most common type, the mother contributes two eggs that each are fertilised by two different sperm cells from the father. They are genetically as similar as any ordinary siblings.

With identical twins, one egg from the mother is fertilised by one sperm from the father, and then very early in development the embryo splits and two foetuses grow. These twins are very similar genetically.

But in this case, the researchers say the twins probably arose when two sperm cells fused with a single egg, creating an embryo with three sets of chromosomes rather than two.

There was a mixing of genes within the double-fertilised egg, which then split into two cells before shedding an unwanted set of chromosomes.

As a result, the children would have identical genes from their mother's side but would share only half their genes on their father's side.

The new case came to light because one of the twins had an abnormality in sexual development, ambiguous genitalia, and was considered a hermaphrodite as there was both ovarian and testicular tissue. This child is being raised as a girl. The other twin is a boy.

Writing in the journal Human Genetics the researchers say the 'semi-identical' twins are more genetically similar than fraternal twins, but less similar than identical twins.

"This observation suggests the existence of other similar twins that have not yet been, and may never be, identified," they write.

The scientists suspect that two sperm cells fertilised one egg (Image: Science)
    "I think the most important thing is that this shows that our understanding of how twinning arises is probably something of a simplification, and that there are some very probably rare variations on how this can arise," says Dr Vivienne Souter of Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center in Phoenix, lead author of the study.

"Since we don't ordinarily look at the genetics of twins, there probably are more cases out there, but they have not come to light because they haven't been investigated in the way that these twins were," adds Souter, a geneticist also trained in obstetrics and gynaecology, who is the mother of fraternal twins.

The 'semi-identical' twins were evaluated at a US hospital initially a few years ago, the researchers say.

Dr Melissa Parisi, a paediatrics professor at University of Washington in Seattle is a co-author of the research.

"I can tell you that in my last contact with the family, the twins were doing very well; healthy, growing well, developing normally," she says.

Souter says the twins were conceived naturally, noting that in vitro fertilisation or infertility treatments were not involved.

Some experts have theorised that such twins might exist, and these twins are the proof.

The study was first reported by Nature's online news service.

I just looked back on this thread!!! So funny.

I used to get "Are they twins??" all the time and once I told an old lady "No, I just really like babies so when I left hospital I just stole another one out of the nursery"
    She didn't know whether to laugh or dial OOO!!!!

I love seeing other twin mummys out and about. Sometimes we chat. Other times we just nod and thats all that is needed. Its like we're in a sacred group.....

I just had another read too and had a little chuckle...
    i must admit my 2 girls are now 19 months old and yes are becoming double trouble...esp since they want to climb everything and want to get out of the pram to run around...

My girls are frat twins but do look similar...i hate when people say "oh they're identical" and I'm like "no they're fraternal" and then you have to go through the whole 2 egg scenario etc...I have decided now I will just smile and nod and keep walking..I cant be bothered explaining the whole twin thing to every person who comments...And also "oh they look identical to me"...well I did give birth to them so I really think I should know...

Dont worry when I had the girls 12 month immunisation done they were in denim dresses with pink cardigans stockings etc...and the nurse says to me "oh a girl and a boy" and I said that the only time i see boys in dresses is in the mardi Gra..they have pink on and are wearing dresses....DDDEEERRRR...

Pansy.... why do people do this to us!!! Like I once said I got asked what sex Charlee was even thought she looked like a giant freaking starwberry! PINK PINK PINK! What more was needed?

LOL you guys are funny.
    I'm sorry to hear what you all have to go through just to go shopping

I would love to have twins!

yeah naomi shopping can sometimes be a pain..but having said that I would love to concieve twins again..they are AMAZING....

Sometimes I left the twins at home with my mum just to be able to shop n peace without every passe by gawking in the pram!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12