Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange question Iknow - can you increase your chances...?

Default Strange question Iknow - can you increase your chances...?

Ok i know that i don't have children full stop let alone have any idea what it would be like to actually have more than one - but i like the idea of twins and i have slways -since i was a little girl- imagined myself with twins - twins run in the family - or did until the last couple of generations - my grandmother, and her mother were both fraternal twins - then neither my grandmother or her sister had twins - or any of their kids. So can it skip two generations? Other than fertility drugs (i am alreday taking clomid to assist in TTC) is there anything else - or will you ladies that have multiples talk me out of such a silly notion...

I think increased maternal age helps.... (something about, as your body matures it may release more eggs at once to get rid of them before menopause happens)..

And Ive read a few times about the more children you have, the greater chances than eventually it will lead to multiples.. (The multi-partum idea)..

But yea they're not exactly things you can just run out and do... lol

But the clomid might work!

K

Yeah i have heard age too - but i am 24 so that one aint happening...I don't know i guess its a weird thing to wish for... But i really do want twins...

I have heard that clomid increases your chances - but be warned - the lady who had the quinns in qld around 9 months ago, conceived them whilst on clomid.
    so it does increase your chance of a multiple birth - but by how many . . . . .lolol
    odette

LOL odette!!! Goodness hadn't heard that one!!! My step mum jokingly said i would have six!!!! Maybe it might just happen!!!

tiggy Guest

AJ

If you have twins on the maternal side then you have a great chance of having twins. Having them on the guys side has nothing to do with them, it is the ability of the woman to release more than one egg at a time (the spermies just get lucky)!!!! I think if memory serves, if you have grandma, mum or aunt with fraternal twins it increases your chances by about 10 - 20% greater than people without the family history. Ovulating the two or more eggs is a familial thing.

Also, the clomid DOES increase your chances of multiple birth, especially when you get up into the higher doses.

You have alot going for you, girl! I always told my mum I would have twins and she said, no it always skips a generation. She had twins and my Great grandmother also had twins. My twins are now 9 and they were my first. They came along 3 months after I stopped the clomid, which I had taken 10 cycles.

tiggy Guest

P.S. AJ

I was 24 when I conceived and birthed the twinnies!

well i guess we will just have to wait and see...

Hope you get your wish soon, AJ.

Keen

thanks keen - just caught up with everything and saw TamB is in with twins... very exciting for her... You doing Ok Keen?

kjorgo1 Guest

Hi there

This may sound strange but I have read in a book that and increased intake of folate can increase the chance of concieving twins. I think it was in one of the Gender Selection books I have read. Might be worth doing a search on the net to see if you can find any info.

Jorja

Sal Guest

Jorga, I read that too, I'm pretty sure I saw it on a pretty reputable site, too. I know that currently pharmacists etc recommend 400mcg daily, but at the leading IVF clinic they now say that advice is outdated and the intake should be 1000mcg daily. If it does increase chances of twins...

hmmm i have been taking folate - tablets and pregnacare vitamins - which contain folate and i got he Orange juice that has added vit c and folate - so maybe maybe -

Has anyone heard of anything like if i don't o every month that i might relaese more than egg at a time? just wondering as i know that i have only o'd once in eight months since being off the pill..

kjorgo1 Guest

I would also consider trying to eat foods high in folate which might boost levels a little bit more, I figure every bit helps!!

Jorja

mum2four Guest

just to let you know I took Clomid due to PCOS and in two cycles fell pregnant with triplets, so it does work just be careful, in hinesight I remember around ovulation I had very severe pain which the doctor told me was because of the release of extra eggs, had I known that at the time I would have waited another month, or had an ultrasound to confirm the number of eggs present, good luck on your journey.

Yep Clomid chances of twins is 8-10% & higher for those with fraternal twins in their family tree. I was on my 5th mth of Clomid, low dose: 50mcg CD4-8 & my first mth of AIH, which meant they fully monitored me.

By CD11, I had 4 eggs (25mm, 15mm, 13mm, 11mm) which grow 2mm/day & are viable @ 15mm, so 2 days & there would've been 4 viable. So was triggered with a pregnyl shot that night to start ovul early, apparently only giving them a chance to grow another 1mm.

But the nurse whom did the AIH said they still might have grown a little bit between a trigger & ovul (36-40hrs later), yikes!!!

So when I ovul (CD14-16) on my other 4 cycles of Clomid, I probably had 4 viable eggies, so beware!!!

We don't find out til 31/8 whether we have twins (or slight possibility of triplets). Had ovul pain/awkwardness & symptoms since 7DPO, but no M/S or sore/bigger BB's, only quadrupled HCG levels instead of doubled levels (11DPO=55, 13DPO=196), so who knows.

confusedegg Guest

Hi Shell

How did you get on? are you having multiples?

Hi Chris, thanks for asking. Nope, only 1 in there, my 6wk HCG = 26,054, which apparently is normal for a 7-8wk pregnancy, but that is based on the avg of normal pregnancies. More in my www - milestones. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast