Thread: Stopping the bedtime feed (Feeding to sleep)

Default Stopping the bedtime feed (Feeding to sleep)

Would anyone care to share how you stopped the bedtime feed?

My DD is only 9 months so I wouldn't dream of stopping the bedtime feed yet. I am imagining having to wait until she's 3 years old, and old enough to swap the breastfeed for a mug of warm milk or something.

It is just frustrating at the moment, because for the last month or so she's been fussy on the boob during the bedtime feed only. So she attaches, feeds a bit, then wriggles, cries, comes off, won't go back on, arches her back, doesn't want to lie back down, or sit up, or anything really.....
    She fusses in my arms and after about 20 attempts, will eventually feed.
    It is so draining! And disheartening. We have so many struggles... this is just one.

She sounds overtired. Can you try bring her bedtime forward half an hour and see if that helps?

Yeah, what spring said.

Thanks - I would never have thought of that! Her feed starts at 6.30pm but I will try to move it forward.

just wondering how you were going & whether the earlier feed has helped?

Oh thanks!

It works some nights, but other nights she is too 'awake' to settle down....
    i.e. no crying, but is more interested in looking around and smiling sweetly at me in the dark
    which is preferable to her earlier performances I guess!

So I just keep her on my lap and sing to her, and eventually she lets me know she is ready to feed.

Now she's started waking up earlier to start her day (and my day).... So there's always a new issue to keep me on my toes!

Another possibility is that she's ready to stop feeding to sleep. You could try feeding her, then goign to the bedroom and cuddling/singing whatever.
    Just a thought.

Thanks Marcellus. Yeah, maybe she is. Whenever I've attempted to put her in her cot awake, she cracks it, so I've never thought she'd be ready anytime soon. We'll see.