Thread: 40th birthday present - help

Question 40th birthday present - help

My sister turns 40 this year (in May) and I'm at a bit of a loss about what to get her. Since it's a milestone birthday I want to get her something special. Her eldest has just started at a private school and she's had to make a few cutbacks to afford it so I feel like she deserves a bit of spoiling.
    Jewellry is pointless - she already has lovely jewllry and I can't afford anything in the same laegue as she already owns.
    I don't want to get her something that will be obselete in a couple of years so no ipods, phones etc.
    I was thinking of a nice Louis Vuitton or Prada handbag or overnight bag but then again whatever style I get in a few years it will be out of style.
    It's hard for me to shop for her because we have such differant taste and I often get it wrong. I like hip-hop and think harajuku girls are really stylish. She likes Billy Joel and thinks Princess Di was really stylish.
    Is a nice coffee table book a good gift or not?
    She likes science - she studied it at uni. I thought of renewing her New Scientist subscription for her because it's one of the luxuries she's cancelled to cover my nephew's school fees but it lasts a year and they all get thrown out.
    She collects paper weights but I'm not sure that another for her collection would be very meaningful.
    What about a watch? I'd probably buy the wrong style

ETA - my brother turns 30 this year so any ideas for him would be good too.

Dach, I will be 40 this year
    It's a hard one - does she like cooking? One of my close girlfriends turned forty last year and her sister gave to her a beautiful cookbook. I can't remember the name but it is just lovely - she got her the holder for it to go in (so you can rest it and the page stays open...).

Otherwise a beautiful coffee table book sounds like a truly lovely gift.

Dach a friend of ours turned 50 last year, and we too were in the same vote.. what do you get something for someone who is hitting a milestone.. i then got onto a website store called paperworld... where they sell the original news paper from the day you were born... they are pricey but it comes in a beautiful folder etc and you can choose the paper you want ie Sydney Morning Herald or a Melbourne/ Brisbane paper.. its a kind of quirky idea but very original..not exactly 'practical' but interesting! All the other guests at the party and birthday person were all amazed and kept commenting on it... I hope someone does it for me when I turn 40.

best of luck present hunting

leis x

storm04 Guest

I had the same dilemma for my sister a while back but she was turning 30 so i ended up getting a coffee table and a peice of glass to go on top, we put photos in frames and set them out really nicely underneath of her children and hubby etc and mum and dad.
    She loves it (which is a suprise) the tricky part is knowing a glazier who can attach it to the table for you!

What about an opportunity to make beautiful memories? A night away at a retreat for her and her DH?

Oooh I love the sound of the newspaper idea - I will have to look into that one!

Maybe a hot air balloon ride, or a skydive, bungee jump, glider? Some kind of experience like that. Check out red balloon days. They have a great range of experiences that cater for all prices and people.