Thread: Anniversary Ideas

Default Anniversary Ideas

So i know you're all a romantic and creative bunch and i normally am but heck i'm just feeling fat and lazy at the moment so creativity is not my strong point...

It's our anniversary on Monday (only a year, not too exciting, but it is all the same, considering it was one helluva year to get through), and we're, well not exactly broke but "not spending" either so i need some ideas on something nice we might be able to do together - to try and commemorate the occasion. Especially knowing it's one of last times we'll have together-alone.

I wouldn't mind so much if DF was working, but his work actually let him schedule his RDO for that day specifically so i feel it's only right to do something, but WHAT?!?!?!?!

I want to do something that doesn't just involve me cooking a nice meal; i figure i try to do that every night already so i don't find it all the special, and hell i'm not spending our special day slaving away in the damn kitchen!!!

I'm too... pregnant... to be bothered with anything; i am the whingiest, laziest, sulkiest 38-weeker there ever was... I'd love to pack a picnic and go to the park and just watch kids playing, but the weather is so damn unpredictable we'd probably end up in a hailstorm. Neither of us drive, so if the forecast is nice, the beach has a getting-there-feasibility issue. I'm not even into dinner & movie dates if we were spending money so i'm just lost.

He's been so supportive of me and i feel so lucky to still have him in my life - our unexpected pregnancy was very tough on him as he had to drop out of uni and out of his dreams for a while - so not only do i want to celebrate the fact that, y'know he's still around, i want to be able to say thank you too.

And the worst part of it all, i love to write, if i say so myself am an excellent poet and writer, and im so frustrated and disappointed because pregnant brain has stolen any amount of creative flair that i have left, so i can't even manage to string a few words together that sound nice, iykwim...

Gosh i can ramble... anyhow... your ideas are all very welcome and appreciated. TIA

Congrats on making it to a year! You have had a busy time - so well done on staying together.

I like a special meal, but you can always get a supermarket fresh meal or a take-out and put it on plates.

The first anniversary is usually paper, but that's when you're married, so write something special for that one! You could do a book of treats (like I promise to take a bath with you or I promise to give you a back rub...) for Ant to cash in.

Can you do a "date day"? I love these! DH and I had one when I was pg, although 14w not 39w. We went for a walk (good for inducing, apparently) then out for a cheap meal. We also have done pedal boats, crazy golf, sitting and dreaming together... but date things, not household stuff. These days are really cheap but really memorable cos they're fun.

HTH

Have a picnic inside!

it's our anniversary on Monday too! but ours is our second wedding anniversary (anniversary of being a couple is tomorrow, so i have had to do lots of thinking this past week!)

for anniversary of being together, we've made a decision to just be together - nothing that involves expense. DH is coming home from work at some ungodly hour of tonight, so we're going to spend tomorrow morning snuggling, then he'll cook brekkie for us both. go to town to do a couple of things we've both wanted to do (hair cuts being the big thing) for a bit of pampering of ourselves! tomorrow night, i'm cooking - nothing hard - just stuff to throw together and stick in the oven - but it's stuff that DH has mentioned a few times that he's wanted recently (crumbed prawns and vegie bake - really easy stuff!). i guess the main thing is just being together and doing stuff that makes us hapy and relaxed - no point having expectations of doing something "special" if that makes YOU unhappy - there are TWO of you in this relationship so you both have to be happy on the day - do something that spoils BOTH of you!

Monday, for or wedding anniv, we'll probably potter around the garden - sounds like a chore to most, but for us, it's a great time together - we just talk, laugh, and get to take pleasure in our creation while we spend quality time together. we'll probably throw a roast in the oven and then cook up some veg - but both of us like cooking, so neither one of us feels like it's a chore to cook a good meal...

good luck coming up with something - don't let your frustration stop you writing something if that is what you normally would do. it doesn't have to be "poetic" - just pour your heart out in a letter - sometimes, it is more personal that way - DH gets special letters on all major occassions - i guess i just reflect on the last few months/year, what we've been through, what we've achieved - and i tell him how much i love and appreciate him

or on the bed. We used to pack enough stuff for hours and just sit and do crosswords/play scrabble, watch DVDs and not move off the bed except for loo breaks...

These days are really cheap but really memorable cos they're fun.
    Thanks Ryn - exactly what i'm after! I thought about the coupon books too, but i got a little put off thinking it's a thing i always made for mum for mothers' day as a kid - but you have got me thinking. I could make it ant-specific so to speak. Something like, use this token to get two hours of you time to play video games or something like that... then i still get to try be personal and creative without being totally... "corny"!!

Maybe i should just see what this tiny little town has to offer in walking distance and plan for nice and crap weather. Doesn't hurt to have the picnic inside, on the bed, in the shed outside. Oooh the shed is a good idea - i could prep it all in advance and then just not let him near it for a few days .

BG - Congratulations, i hope you have a very special day yourself!
    You made a good point, i guess it do have to remember to spoil myself as well, i guess i tend to forget there's a me here too. And the letter is a good idea. He keeps all of the little notes i write him so it would probably be just as special!

Well i don't feel quite as clueless about it anymore... but any more idea are definitely welcome and ill let you know what i come up with!
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; February 13th, 2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: eta

*bump*