Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How did you meet your partner

I met DP at a pub, he was chatting to my sister and i was blind and walked up to them and straddled him on the seat. A year later I was at another pub and there was a guy and a girl singing/playing guitar there. Sis pointed him out and said that's ***** from folkie, remember him??
    We hooked up that night, and a few more times times, kinda had a fight, stopped talking all together for months, started talking again one day. became really good friends and always caught up for coffee, then one day our coffee date went for 3 hours and we kinda realised there was something special there, talked about it via SMS for a few weeks, then he came to stay and we've been together ever since!

My DH and I met over the net also.
    We started seeing each other in 2002, he moved in with me in 2004, we married in 2005.

Blind date for me. Have now been married for 21 years

MY XH and I met at university. At least it made constitutional law a little more interesting...

I met my DH through my sister as she was dating DH's Best friend.At the time I was still dating my highschool sweetheart ( I use the term losely!) And he was dating another girl ...so we were just friends . Then I split up with my boyfriend after 7years and he split up with his girlfriend all within about a month....we saw each other out one night and walla ...started dating!. I remember thinking after about 3months if I couldnt marry him I would not want to get married as no one could ever possibly treat me as well as he did!!!!!.

Now my sister and her boyfriend are long over ...and DH and I have been together 8years this year and married 5 years!. She claims we are the best thing that came out of her relationship ..and I have to agree

Its actually quite a funny story.... and I think it was meant to be like this....

Well DH and I were fast-food neighbours (him KFC - me Pizza Hut) and one night we both had to take the huge wheelie bins full of rubbish down using the elevator. He was standing at the elevator and said 'You going down?' and under my breath I said 'no, a--hole I thought I'd take this huge bin down the stairs'.
    We shared the lift ride, looking each other over, he started talking about how if the lift broke at least we could eat the scraps out of the garbage..... how romantic.

We had to go back into our respective stores and finishing doing the close, so I wrote my number on a napkin and when I finished work I gave it to him.

He called two days later, we went to my friends 21st, I got so drunk that I didn't remember anything. Two days after that, my shy DH took one and a half hours to ask me 'do you want to go out with me?' and four months later we started living together and the rest sort of panned itself out....

What a good thread idea!!!

clare076 Guest

I had come down from the country for a work conference and went out to dinner with the family. DP worked with my brother and dad at the time, but also played volleyball with my brothers. I had never met him but knew of him, this particular night after far too many drinks I stole my brothers mobile and got his phone number and started sending him dirty txt messages. He thought it was his mates playing a game, so it took him hours to reply. In the end I grabbed a taxi and a bottle of bourbon and rocked up to his house, and I never left!

His excuse - you never turn away a women holding a bottle of bourbon.

I love this thread, everyones stories are so interesting, makes me feel all romantic LOL.
    DH and I met at a pub, he wasn't supposed to be there cause he was really hungover but his mates draged him there, I was not interested in meeting anyone but went with a gf for some fun. Got plastered and an xbf turned up and tried to hit on me, I had been eyeing off DH as he is hot , wasn't going to do anything but decided to get away from x by walking up to DH and asking to sit on his lap and could he pretend to be with me to get rid of x! (He reckons this was the biggest come on he'd ever heard but I maintain it was purely to get away from x!) My friend got with his mate so we all went back to my flat (nothing happened) then the next morning drove them to the station- DH casually asked before he got out of the car would I be at the same pub the following sat. I said no the one after and we parted. I figured I would never see him again as we hadn't exchanged numbers but the next day he called my mobile while I was at school and asked me out! (he knew my last name and looked me up in the phone book and rang my answering machine which had my mobile number on it)
    We went on a date the following saturday and have been together ever since.

OH I was just talking about this yesterday with my belly buddies!! So I am just going to copy it here...

It was the easter long weekend back in 2004 and my sis and I decided to go out on the Saturday night. I called two of my friends to come because we were meeting her friends at the place. We went to a place call the Onyx (I think) which is a pretty snobby club! Stayed there for a little while and then decided to leave my sis with her friends and we went on to a place called the Rise. I had never been there before but its pretty much a dance club. We got there and I was really really drunk, and the friend I was with saw Jason there too. Jason was one of her friends. So I thought that he was pretty cute and he was having a good time dancing on the dance floor. As the night went on I kept saying to my friend that I think he is really cute. At this point me and my friend were dancing up on one of the booths and she told me to wait here and she went down to him and told him to get up there and dance with me!! So he did and we danced and got a few kisses in there too. OMG He was so hot. We spent the rest of the night drinking and dancing together and I think the club closed at 6am. We then left there, he went in his car and my friend drove my car cause I was wayy to drunk and we went back to his place for a lil while. LOL And this was the morning that I had to go to Church with my family!! PMSL so mum was calling me trying to find out where I was so I left and got home at 8am I think. Managed to get maybe 30mins sleep and had to go to church! I felt horrible and still drunk and Jason was smsing me asking to go out on a date. So the next day we went on our first date and have been inseperatable ever since.

We met through the fire brigade as we both volunteered. We hooked up for a month but broke up as I was still getting over someone else and didn't think that fair on now DH. We lost contact for a year (he had hooked up with my ex boss who had advised me to break up with him in the first place until i got over my ex, she wouldn't let us remai in contact.) and then met up again when he got a job with the ambulance service. I was studying nursing at the time and the ambulance school had just opened in the building next door, we got talking again, he broke up with his partner (the same ex boss) and we got back together. Have been together 7 years and married for 3 years tomorrow and now have a beautiful daughter! I am a big believer in fate - and to my ex boss I always think 'what goes around comes around!'.
    Last edited by Rachel; April 13th, 2007 at 11:16 AM. Reason: had to mention Grace!

We were first friends over the phone as he was Despatch Manager at a Furniture Manufacturer and I was a Ordering Clerk at a Furniture Retailer. After about a year of talking we met for drinks for my birthday and we have been together now for 10 years and Married for 6 years.

My DH was a mate of my brother and brother in law. He was into FMX with them and used to come around to my house (lived with brother and dad) to fix the bikes etc. First time I saw him, I peeked out the window to see who was here and saw this hot guy walking across my back yard. I ducked my head inside and spruced myself up then went out to see what was happening. Not much went from there, he was shy and worried about what my brother and BIL would do to him.
    My brother and I ended up moving into a place together and needed a third person. Rory was first choice as he was living at my sisters place.
    Nothing happened for a few weeks as he was still nervous about what brother would do to him.
    A group of us went over to Moreton Island for a long weekend and he came with to make up the numbers. First night there, we all got plastered and were playing pool. Went back to the unit and woke up in the morning snuggled on the floor together. Went from there. Lived together but still had seperate bedrooms.
    We ended up moving into a place of our own and the rest they say is history. We ended up getting married 4 years to the day of hooking up and our first anniversary is in 3 weeks.

betty.boop1 Guest

My partner and I met eachother out ten pin bowling one night with the same group of friends and met eachother, but he was a bit too drunk for anything to click. Later we met eachother again through the same group of friends and we all went out night clubbing and on the way home in the cab after dropping him off and some other friends I thought I would send hime a text telling him I had a great night and to sleep well. From there he was still too shy and I asked him to the movies when realising that he did really like me but was way too shy to say anything. He is still quite shy but after 3 years together he is slowing coming out of his shell.

DH and I lived in the same small town although he went to a catholic school in another town. After getting kicked out of that school, he came to our school (same age/year level). There was an attraction on both sides but he was one of those guys that you like, but would never admit...lol. We got along really well regardless and even had a conversation once in Yr 10 about leaving town once we'd finished school and moving in together (as friends). I ended up leaving town half way through Yr 11 to live with my dad, and he ended up leaving at the end of Yr 11 to go to TAFE. We both had other partners etc, and eventually after about 5 years we found ourselves both living back in our home towns (where our families still are) and single. We started out being 'friends with benefits' but after a few months he told me he loved me and we haven't been apart since. That was in 2001. We married in Feb 2003 and are madly in love with each other....

So it's not technically a 'high school' thing, but we've known each other pretty much our whole lives...and we couldn't be happier.

Talking how did we meet?? well...

I met my hubby when i was about 15 he 18. He worked with my mum & mum thought he was nice.... back then I didint want nice and thought he was ugly and boring and just not my type... I knew he liked me though. Finally 2 yrs later we went on a date
    and it sucked.. it was just a huge flop. so I avoided him after that... and made excuses when ever he asked me out...

3 yrs later I felt in need of a little male company and knew he would be keen (coz he always had) but he was taken
    after a week or 2 he came and asked me out again and I said "no".
    But then I felt guilty for saying no and asked him out for a drink... we met up and got a bit tipsy and had the best night ever... and been together eversince.....

we have been married 1 yr and 1month and have a handsome 6 month old NIXON...
    Life is sweet !!

we went to primary school together.
    In prep he told me that he was going to marry me so I clobbered him over the head.
    We were b/g friend in grades 5 and 6.
    We then went to separate high schools and didn't see each other the whole time.
    Every year at high school he would get his mate to ring me and ask me out for him. I told his mate to bugger off each time.
    By the time we got to be 18, he had the nerve to ring himself. I thought that i would never get rid of this guy unless i went out with him and be mean to him
    He took me on a date, and i found out what a great guy he was.
    That was 16 years ago. We have been married for 10 1/2 years and are truly soul mates.
    I since found out that when he was at high school he never had a girlfriend as such, as he was still waiting for me to come back into his life.
    I now know that when he says something that he truly means it

Okay, Odette, you win, That made me cry.

abs Guest

I love this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Confused View Post
    Well So did tim and I really!!! so hey you can meet someone over the net and it work out,Kimbaz,Kellxx and i are proof,lol
    you bet they work (still reading the rest of the thread - will update this when done)

I'd never done well in the dating scene so ages ago set up an RSVP account.

In 2003, after spending a few days in Canberra with some friends and unsuccessfully hooking up with one of the others there, I updated the account when I got home on the Friday.

By Sunday night I'd received 4 kisses... 2 were from others whose profiles I wasn't particularly interested in, and the other 2 were well let's see. Bought some RSVP stamps and sent emails to them both.

======================

Onto Jen's side: She was visiting a male friend (business colleague - just good friends) were both single again (for a few months) and had both used RSVP in the past. They decided to both update their profiles and made a promise to both send several kisses once a fortnight. She has a web based business so was on the computer a bit

======================

That was Saturday July 19th 2003 when I sent my first email to her (I still have all the emails). She wrote back Sunday arvo and the email "war" started. I had just resigned from an IT job and she worked from home, so both had anytime access to email.

I think on the Tues or Wed the other person replied, but by then, things were progressing nicely with Jen. At some stage we worked out our families came from the same area (Tocumwal/Finley, NSW) - and turned out they knew each other. Her uncle used to play cricket with my grandfather. We had property on the Murray River with our own beach and it's possible they might have stayed there - Jen's mum had moved to Sydney by then, but her grandmother and uncle etc still lived in Finley

During the email war we told a lot about ourselves to each other (I've just been back to have a look at some of them and theres some fantastic banter in there)

The next weekend I had to return to Canberra for a dinner on the Friday nigth with some other friends - she sent me a message saying she was missing our email war already - but was down in Jervis Bay visiting a friend who was in the middle of his chemo treatment, but wanted to meet. I returned back to Sydney on the Saturday and the emails started up again.

We did meet under the harbour bridge (north side) on the sunday night (7pm July 27). I took 2 bottles of wine which we drank over a couple of hours - she even kissed me - I was lying on my back looking up at the bridge recpvering from a rather silly joke that she had just told. After cleaning up and walking along the foreshore towards Luna Park hand in hand we kissed some more before going our separate ways.

She SMS'd me when she got home asking to meet up again the next day... as I wasn't working, I went around after lunch and we went to Coogee for late lunch/early dinner and then returned to her place. Around 10pm I said I guess I should leave and we can talk tomorrow when she asked me to stay. From that point on we were virtually inseparable - unless circumstances prevented us.

In December 2003 she moved in and made my house a home. Had to kick one of the two housemates out, with the 2nd one leaving 2 years later (Jan 2006) once Jordy was on his way. Gary lives across the road now and is still a good friend. We got married nearly 3 weeks ago - March 25th

I get on really well with Jen's parents, and they are very happy that we are together, and my family all get along really well with Jenny too - cant get any more perfect than that
    Last edited by abs; April 13th, 2007 at 02:18 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast