Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How did you meet your partner

I agree, there are some great stories in here but I think Odette has the sweetest one. I was tearing up too.

Yep Odette... you definitely win!!!
    Your story was beautiful... thanks for sharing and congrats on finding your soulmate

Odette your story is beautiful.

Dh and I met at university in armidale. we both lived in the same college and kept our relationship secret for months (me newbie, him senior). Took us 10 years to get married though.

WOW there are some lovely heartwarming stories in here, Abs your story is so beautiful, as is yours odette I had to laugh when you said that DH said he was going to marry you in prep and you clobbered him oh how funny and so so sweet to boot.

The first time I layed eyes on my DH was at my house, I had gotten home from work and he was sitting outside with my younger bro and some other friends in the pool, I went out and said hi and then sat inside watching him through the blinds in our dining room he was absoluty gorgeous with a 6 pack and all I couldnt take my eyes off him,

I asked my bro who he was he told me to keep my hands off LOL so I left it at that,

A few moths later I started seeing a guy who was the older brother of my bros best mate and he happened to be the best mate of my now DH, Jeff and I hit it off instantly to the point it drove Steve crazy ( my then BF ) We use to sit up chatting all night while Steve went to bed as he was pretty boring LOL,

Steve and I broke up after about 5 months and I didnt see Jeff agian as he was steves friend,

almost a year went by and I went to a friends place for a few drinks and Jeff was there and unfortunatley so was steve and he wouldnt leave me alone, Steve asked me for a lift home after telling everyone he could have me if he wanted me hmmm I dont think so hahaha and I asked Jeff to come along for pretection,

We dropped steve off and went back to our mutual friends house where Jeff decided to show off with encouragement from a few drunk mates he decided to climb a brick wall 2 stories up and he fell down, and landed on his bum,

he couldnt get up so the mum of where we were rushed him in to hospital ( in the back of a ute mind you and we were in the city hmmmm ) and I followed in my car as I had not been drinking, I sat at the hospital for most of the night until I knew he was ok,
    He had broken his back and was going to be in for quite a few days,

I then started sitting at the hospital with him for hours and hours a day every day instead of going to college *tut tut tut* then when it was time for him to go home I begged my mum to let him stay with us as his family were in the country and he didnt want to go there and she finaly caved and said ok,

We were still only friends at this point, After he moved in it was only a matter of a few weeks and we were together and he never went home LOL,

my mum said he had no choice but to stay with us and he had a broken back so he couldnt run away and I had my heart set on him so there was no escaping LMAO , I fell pg with our ds 4 months after we got together,

that was in Feb 2000 and we married in Nov 2002.

We have had our ups and downs but I beleive in fate and I know we are just meant to be as we have gotten through some pretty tough things and here we are 7 and a half years later very happily married and very much in love, everything is the way it should be, and he is the only man I would marry even if I could change things I wouldnt, we now have 2 gorgeous children and another on the way and life is great.

My DP was the classic "boy next door"! LOL

My DH and I met at work. We managed to keep it a secret from everyone at work for about 8 months. Was very sneaky of us. We used to catch the train or bus in to work together (having stayed together overnight), but would head off in different directions from the station/bus stop to get our morning coffees. This was to avoid anyone in the office concluding from the logo on our takeaway cups that we'd travelled to work together. We worked on the same floor of our building in adjoining offices, shared a secretary and both worked for the same four partners, so it seemed really important to our professional reputations to keep things a secret until we were properly established as a couple. We used to have code names for each other when speaking on the phone/emailing while at work, again so no-one would notice. He ha. That was 71/2 years ago... in some ways it just feels like yesterday.

pebbles2820 Guest

DH moved in with friends of mine straight out of school. We became best friends almost immediately. Unfortunately I hooked up with another of our friends, together 14years and 3 beautiful kids. Geoff and I finally got it together after I kicked my X out when he cheated on me(amongst other things). We were already friends and had always been in love it just took some time to get there. Married nearly 3 years and couldn't be more in love.

Odette,that was a great story.Something youd see in a classic movie!
    My husband and i met at the margaret river masters through mutual friends.I remember talking all night long and that its!(too many drinks at 20yrs of age) The next day i woke up and went for breakfast at my friends house and he was sitting at the kitchen bench! I made a quick exit and tried to find something decent to impress him but alas nothing!
    Anyway,we were both abit shy and didnt talk much considering we did so much the night before.And we departed ways with different friends to check the surf.
    2 weeks later i met him at a different town and a nightclub and he usually never goes as he lived far away from them.We knew we were meant to be together and hooked up.6 moths later engaged,married 4 yrs later.We been together 10yrs this yr and have 2 kids.Its gone really quick and we really are together because fate wanted it.
    ps: he was a greenkeeper at the time and my name is caddie so their were lots of jokes!

We met in primary school (he was school captain and I was sports captain). We then went to high school and quickly became best friends (purely platonic the whole way through high school). We even went to the formal together as friends. He then told me at the school formal that he loved me and wanted us to be together forever (yep, at 17 years old we both knew). We've been together ever since and have never broken up. Smooooth sailing!

We meet though a friend at her 16th birthday party, we got together on my 16th, 2 weeks later and have been together ever since, We have been together for 8 years and married for 1 1/2 years.

Odette - that story rocks.

Me - well DF and I work together for the same extremely large company, and work in the same building. Mind you, about 500 people work there! I thought he was really cute, and although I am known by pretty much everyone at work, I'm pretty shy when I really want to get to know someone. So I'd bounce over to his workgroup / team and talk to them. I really got to know them well, and they got to know me well too

One day my boss & I were checking out a house I was interested in on the net - it was an old church I was considering buying and renovating / converting. Anyhows DF wandered past and joined in the convo - this was the first time he'd ever actually initiated a converstation with me. An hour later, he went home (and he claimed o/t for the convo!) and my boss just kept looking at me with raised eyebrows.

A couple of days later, one of his work team got my home email addy and sent out a joke email to just myself and DF ... hmmm, subtle?

About a month later, I got drunk and emailed him, asking if he wanted to do coffee one day.

He replied (also drunk) about a fortnight later.

Then a month later I checked my email account and there was his email! I replied and we set up a date.

So a week later I rocked on over to his place, and knocked on his door, my little leggies shaking. It was a lovely day, so we went for a bushwalk instead ... until it rained and we got soaked. I went into his place and had a hot cup of soup and then went home.

The next week, he invited me out for a movie on Sat night, but I had a huge forum meet-up after a Buffy convention, so re-arranged for the Monday. Well fate had different ideas and on the Saturday I attended a fatality with SES - it was a young kid aged 14. Well the meet that Sat night was likely to involve drinking, and most of the people would be younger - like 16-18. And I couldn't face the idea of being around drunk teens - not when I could still see the dead kid's face. So I called DF and asked if he still wanted the movie that night (YES!) and we saw Spiderman II. During the movie I told him what happened. He came back to my place, and stayed with me until I fell asleep. He then left my house and went home. What a gent!
    The Monday we went bushwalking again and kissed, and he SMSd me on the Monday night with his age. I didn't care about that and replied "And I'm xx" which was good, cause he thought I was 10 years younger than I am!

Well since then we haven't been apart longer than 1 night excepting when I was in hospital for my reduction. Literally.

I met my DH thru one of my good friends...they started dating about 3 days after i met him! I fell for him straight away, love at first sight....
    They split up a few months later, i kept in touch with him (he took the split hard) and we became good friends. My friend (his ex) could see i had feelings for him and gave us her blessing so i eventually got the courage to tell him how i felt and asked him to come stay with me for a week while i house sat. I was living in sydney at the time he was in victoria.. anyway he came up on the way deciding he was coming to tell me he wanted to be friends and that's it..he changed his mind when i got home from work and we've now been married 3 1/2 yrs with a 3 yr old and another on the way!!
    It was hillarious watching peoples reaction at our wedding when i was asked how we met... I pointed to my bridesmaid and said 'see her? that's my good friend and his ex!' lets just say it certainly surpsrised a few people and still does! We're both still good friends with her too!!

We have a story to make our kids chins drop when we tell them....

We met in a gay karaoke bar in Copenhagen at 3am on a Sunday morning!

I was visiting a Danish exchange student who had lived with us 10 years earlier and he was out with his former army buddies for a birthday party and it was the last place open in about a 10 block radius. It was really crowded and I was wearing a really 'show off the cleavage' top and an ultra 'show off the cleavage' bra and as I pulled back into the crowd to let his group walk past, he stopped and said to my boobs in Danish,

'You can stand back as much as you like but with a rack like that, I'm not going anywhere'.

Of course I didn't understand, it being my 2nd night in Denmark but my friends laughed and made him translate it to english.....which was a little embarrasing for him (poor dear!) but he did, and I thought it was cute, cheeky and charming (hey, I was as drunk as he was!).

We chatted for 15 mins and flirted and the guy (my friends housemate) who had been interested in me was trying his best to not let all the hard work he'd been putting in for 2 days go to waste so one of DF's army buddies basically pulled him aside and not so nicely told him not to bother cos he was outclassed and then all my group got pee'ed off at DF's lot and were giving them dirty looks which DF and I were totally oblivious to as we were already smitten....so later when my friend said it was time to go and I saw how upset her housemate was I asked what was wrong and they explained what happened.

I then went and let DF have a piece of my mind saying that the way to impress a girl is most deffinately not to get your friend to abuse her friend and I was really dissapointed that I was so quick to give him my e-mail address....he was then working double time to make up for what his friend had done and I was not having a bar of it.

We left and then 3 mins later he ran out onto the street and spent the next 30 mins running up and down trying to find me....we ended up patching things up by e-mail and met a week later for a beer and then he walked me to my hotel and kissed me goodnight on the cheek.

My cheek was on fire for the next 3 months until I was back in Scandinavia and went to visit him. I arrived on the 25th of June 2002 and we got together onthe 29th!....can't believe it took THAT long! -the sexual tension was palpable and we've never been appart since!

Perhaps the kids won't get all the details....but their chins will still drop I'm sure!

On a triple 0 cruise ship on sydney harbour...tacky and cheap for single gals and guys..........but oh so worth the trip...

I was in Germany on a school exchange program for 10 weeks. Dh was a friend of my host sister. I was 17, Dh 16. Pretty immature, but a mutual friend ended up bringing us together after he found that we liked each other... dh and I were only together for 3 weeks before i had to return home. Then after a 1.5 year long-distance relationship with us both taking in turns to travel to Oz and Germany every 6 months Dh moved to Australia to be with me and proposed. We lived together for 1.5 years in Oz, then we married... Moved to Germany so Dh could go to Uni.. And then decided to start a family. We have been married for almost 3 years now. together for almost 6. WOW! how time flies!!

I still cannot believe how on earth we were able to make such a huge decision to stay together, being so young. Ahhhh Love.

Another internet love here

I had half heartedly put an advert onto RSVP thinking it will come to nothing, I got a few replies but nothing stood out from the crowds until one day in October 2002 an email came in from a single father of two who lives on a dairy farm, just the email alone made my heart skip a beat, I could see myself marrying this man even though I had never met him plus I did say on my advert no single fathers but he ignored that which to this day he`s not sure why!!

It took me a few days to respond as I felt all hot and clammy thinking this is it this is my furture husband - how did I know I have no idea.

I replied to cowman as he called himself on RSVP and got a reply back quite quickly.

We emailed each other for 3 months before meeting for the first time on 31st January 2003, he`d been single for 5 years by choice as he wanted his boys to have a stable father.

Love blossomed (even though I was scared of by his first kiss and declaring his love for me just after our 4 th date), we got engaged 7 months after meeting and married exactly a year after we first met in person.

Mark has told me on many occasions he also knew I was the one just by reading my profile on RSVP, he said he had looked at quite a number but mine stood out but he didn`t respond to my ad for 1 month as I hadn`t been on RSVP so he thought I was seeing someone but as soon as he saw I had logged on he got the courage to reply - I hadn`t logged onto rsvp for 1 month as I had been quite sick with the flu. Then when Mark didn`t hear back from me he was quite disapointed so sent another woman a message then 5 minutes later my reply to his email came into his inbox.

It`s really spooky how we both knew we were going to be together I even began thinking of children when Mark`s email came in yet years before then I was never going to marry or have children but here I am wife, step mummy and mummy to my two precious boys

We both worked for Coles as check-out "chicks". Started flirting when we were in side-by-side registers round about October/November. LOL hooked up at that year's christmas party, and I called him the next day, as I didn't think he'd call (obviously I was new to this!). His excuse was that he was doing the dishes. It went from there. Engaged in Feb '06, married Mar '07.

I met DH at bootscooting / linedancing classes back in 1995 (I was 14) I developed a crush but he was engaged & alot older so I watched from the background as he married & had a daughter. The marriage didn't last & his ex & daughter moved to NZ in beginning of 1998 & by the end of that same year we had moved in together. (We had stayed friends over the years & were in the same bootscooting club, I didn't just pop up once I found out he was single lol)

So we have been together 10 years this November & married 7 years this March. We also have a beautiful DD who is 3 in April & another gorgeous bubs due in August!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast