Thread: orchid table centrepieces

Question orchid table centrepieces

Hi everyone

Iím just trying to organise the table centrepieces for our wedding :P

I would love to have orchids, in memory of my grandfather. But having a hard time finding a way to display them.. Our wedding is very small with 14 guests. So it will be one long table, probably with about 4 centrepieces along it, iykwim.

I've found some really beautiful ones just through google images, where they are immersed in water. Like this...

http://www.blossomweddingflowers.co....angment_fs.jpg

Was thinking this with possibly some floating tea light candles on top..

Anyway, my question is, do you know if fresh orchids can be immersed in water like this, or is it more than likely fake orchids??

TIA for any replies
    telly x

Did you happen to come across this one in your serach?? DIY Centerpieces Ė Long lasting orchids in glass | WeddingAces

They are gorgeous by the way...
    Last edited by Schmickers; July 24th, 2010 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Link goes to a commercial blog. Sorry.

Ooo thanks mumma!

I really like that red... so vibrant! So i'm assuming they must be fresh orchids when they're in the water like that.. wonder how long they last for..

I'm a huge fan of the candles in there.. adds a bit of romance.

Can you get scented floating candles, do you know? I love the smell of vanilla..

Thanks again

i had a mixture of singapore orchids (real) and frangipanis (fake & real ones) similar to the link you posted. only difference was the vases i had were tall and slim rather than big and wide and i had one big floating tealight at top of each centrepiece (i had 10 tables + the bridal table)

Negrita, did you do the centrepieces yourself of did you get a wedding decorator/florist to organise them??
    How long did the orchids last for in there? Just as our wedding is so small, I will be the one putting it all together.

http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/6474...enterpiece.jpg

check out this one ladies.. what do you think?? I think they're perfect...

Have no idea how long they would last but I have seen them on tele before too, but cant remember what it was on! I cant imagine they would last too long immersed in water, but long enough for a wedding I am sure.

And yes, you can absolutly get scented floating candles

Quote Originally Posted by tellytubby View Post
    Negrita, did you do the centrepieces yourself of did you get a wedding decorator/florist to organise them??
    How long did the orchids last for in there? Just as our wedding is so small, I will be the one putting it all together.

http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/6474...enterpiece.jpg

check out this one ladies.. what do you think?? I think they're perfect...

I was lazy and got them done! but for your wedding, i think you would be fine in doing them yourself - the centre pieces i had lasted the whole duration of the wedding and im assuming they would've been set up before hand so a good 12+ hours. - i know i've got a pic of my centrepieces somewhere, i'll see if i can find them for you!!. they are very similar to the last link you posted, only the vases i had were really tall

Can be done with fresh orchids, we used them for a large event I organised a few years ago, suspended them in water, pebbles in the bottom of the vase and a long wide green leave was wraped around the top of the vase. It is a stunning way to display flowers and I love it

You can always speak to a Florist and ask about them and just say you want one for a gift, because as soon as you mentioned the word wedding, double the price

Are you buying the Orchids from a florist? What if you went in and explained what you wanted to do with them, and they would hopefully tell you how long they think they will last, and possibly any other little tricks, like how to weigh the flowers down etc..
    eta: oopsy! I see Beema just said the same above...typing slow with 1 hand at the moment lol

heres the link to the centrepiece i had. not the greatest shot, but gives you an idea of what i had

weddingcentrepiece.jpg picture by Negrita_Moosie - Photobucket

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

They are beautiful!!! What a gorgeous centre piece.

Oh wow ladies, thanks for all of your replys!

Negrita, your tables look fantastic!!! So so beautiful, I really loved the colours you chose, just perfect!

Nic and Beema - Thanks for the tip. I definately won't be mentioning the word 'wedding', LOL! But I am thinking fresh.. I guess it all depends. As its such a small wedding, I'm the one who is organising everything, so in the end I think it would be easier if they were fakies.. hmm. That way I can just give the restaruant we're having dinner at that night, all the necessary gear, and they can just set it up for me.

hmm, so much to decide on!

I used fresh ones for our centrepieces.

We collected them from our florist on the Friday at about lunchtime, immersed them in water over night (think 15 buckets lining the loungeroom walls!!).

We had a bit of an assembly line going the next morning (we had a budget wedding and did everything ourselves) and had them all put together by about 10am Saturday morning.

I got the vases from Spotlight, the rocks from Bunnings - you can heaps of different colours - and I think Mum got the candles from Spotlight as well...

Here's the picture

Another photo
    Last edited by Elocin; July 25th, 2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added another picture

Elocin so you immersed them completely in water, the day before the wedding?? Wow they lasted that long and looked so perfect!

Did you find it a bit of a hastle trying to get the flowers together, get your hair make up etc, on the same day? I don't want to be running around like a chook with its head cut off, haha!

I never even THOUGHT of spotlight either! Derr! Such a ditz some days i swear! I went to all the dollar shops today in search, without much luck! Will try spotlight tomorrow! Thank you!!

I really like the white orchids too... beautiful! I have a feeling our tablecentre pieces are going to be almost identical!! hehe

Elocin so you immersed them completely in water, the day before the wedding?? Wow they lasted that long and looked so perfect!
    Yep, completely immersed them in water. We had a heap of the 10L buckets, and I simply cut the flowers down so they would fit in the bucket and lined the buckets up around the loungeroom. The next morning we took them all out of the buckets, laid them back in the boxes they came in and sorted them out when we got to the venue.

Did you find it a bit of a hastle trying to get the flowers together, get your hair make up etc, on the same day? I don't want to be running around like a chook with its head cut off, haha!
    I did my own hair and make up!! We had to cancel the makeup lady the night before the wedding because it was raining that heavy the road was flooded over and she couldn't get through!!

But, to be honest, I literally had 10 people helping me and we had the whole thing set up in about 2 hours. In saying that, we had our reception in a pub beer garden, with picnic tables - no table settings other than the centre pieces and table clothes, so I didn't have the time restraints to worry about.

I never even THOUGHT of spotlight either! Derr! Such a ditz some days i swear! I went to all the dollar shops today in search, without much luck! Will try spotlight tomorrow! Thank you!!

I really like the white orchids too... beautiful! I have a feeling our tablecentre pieces are going to be almost identical!! hehe
    I looked EVERYWHERE for vases and a girlfriend of mine suggested Spotlight. Mum got the vases on sale, from memory, they were about $10 or $15 each...

Thanks Tellytubby - i loved my colour scheme too

I'm sure you're centrepieces are going to look stunning!!

Elocin - those centrepieces are beautiful!!!!