Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Planner

Default Wedding Planner

Mods, feel free to move if this is in the wrong place..

My question is, has anyone used a wedding planner?

Im just now starting to think about the wedding (after much nagging from family and most of all DF!) Anyway, i have no clue, honestly i have no idea what needs to be done and i dont know what options are available in this area as far as receptions etc go so was thinking about going for a wedding planner....

what do you all think?

Hi Emz,

Wedding planners would be great because they would already know all the things you need to plan and would know of good companies to deal with for weddings and would probably be able to help you out with venues, where to get a dress from, cakes, cars etc.

personally, we didnt have a wedding planner but did get lots of books and magazines given to us about weddings which had lots of ideas for everything about planning weddings, and I reckon our wedding turned out really nice! I also found the internet really valuable for finding compnaies to supply stuff - food , my dress, our car etc

good luck!

I didn't have a wedding planner, but that's because I'm so anal I had big A3 sheet with a timeline of things to do, starting 2 years before the wedding, all sub-categorised into the service, the day reception, the evening reception, the clothes, the people and miscellaneous. Even with the huge chart DH still needed reminding about things like picking hymns and whatnot; he was very eager to pick the cars!

If you want, I'll draw you up a time-line (I love doing those!) if you give me the date. You don't have to stick to it, but it will give you some idea.

We didn't have a wedding planner, but I did enough research like Ryn did and had mine organised 6 months before the wedding. If you're an organised person, then you could do without, otherwise a wedding planner is a good idea.

I LOVED planning every minor detail of my wedding and a lot of friends/family suggested I start up my own planning business....however I was lazy and didnt pursue the idea, which I regret!

I would be more than happy to help you out, free

I live in melb too and I can help in person, over phone, email etc. Im a perfectionist and I love doing wonderful things on a budget.

We saved sooooooooooo much money on our wedding and everyone thought we literally spent thousands!!!!!!!!

The key is a lot of reasearch, time and planning. Suss out the best deals, where you can get wholesale prices, and cutting out the middle man.

I also have a few contacts for dresses, cakes, flowers etc in melb which are gorgeous!!!

keep me posted, and CONGRATS!!!

purpley Guest

I have to agree with the girls and say that I loved planning every detail of my wedding too, going through websites and magazines and check lists!

If you aren't organised or wanting to spend every minute thinking about the wedding (lol) and can afford it then a wedding planner might be for you, but personally, I took the role of wedding planner myself on with a vengeance!

Thanks for the replies ladies!

Spent HOURS on the net last night (till 1am!) and its not looking as hard as i first thought. A lot of the places take care of heaps of the things that i would never think of (like chair covers??) lol so thats looking good. Tho there is only about 5 places i would even consider having my reception at in this town and even less for the actual ceremony (obviously not a church).

Danni and Ryn, Thanks so much! I will PM you when i have a little more time (Abby is demanding attention!)

If anyone has any good hints of tips or even "donts" fee free to share!

Good luck Em,

I too planned my own wedding and it wasnt as daunting as I first thought, and I had 300 guests! Im here too if you need advice and to bounce ideas off or need some numbers etc - Im more than happy to help. And you can find some great bargains on the www. I got heaps of stuff from wholesalers too. Im helping my SIL organise her wedding now and she has me doing all sorts of stuff for her atm.

Best of luck with it all.

Lisa

Hey emz

We planned and had our wedding in 11 weeks...and it was fantastic!

My advice would be sit down with your DF and figure out what you want your wedding to be...my DH and I decided we wanted to a wedding that was a feast for family and friends...eating, drinking and laughing!

Based on that, set out your priorities. We wanted great food and great wine...everything else was seen as periphery stuff.

Then put your energy and money where your priorities are.

There's so many extra little things in weddings that you may not actually want...so don't burden yourself with decisions, expenses that really aren't that important to you.

We decided there was a whole lot of stuff that we didn't really care about...things like a cake, wedding cars, video, photographer etc. (just our personal choices...not saying people shouldn't want these things)...so we didn't have them...AND we didn't miss them on the day... but what we did have was a beautiful venue, fantastic food and quality wine...

Our hope was to keep our wedding "uncluttered" with stuff that just wasn't us...that it was stylish but simple...and we loved it!

Anyway...wishing you all the very very best...

My biggest tip is if you can only have 1 bridesmaid. It makes it so much easier having a small wedding party.

We planned our wedding & got married within 4 wks!!!

I enjoyed some parts of the wedding planning, I hated finding something to wear, but eventually I found something that was Ok...

I think it would cost you alot more using a wedding planner!

Good luck & Congrat's!

Emz, I am getting arried in February and am organising it myself. I came across this brilliat new company purely by chance a few weeks ago. I was looking to hire the chairs and decorations and suddenly realised that everyone was booked out for feb (this was in september - yikes!!). Anyways this company does divine decorations and are so well priced. If you google partydesign you will find them. It may not be to your taste but well worth a look, they are now doing all our setting up including flowers etc and it is a huge load of my mind as now I don't have to be involved on the day and can enjoy my wedding instead. I also got a lot of the wedding stuff off ebay including jewellery for myself and the bridesmaids, foot jewellery (we are not having shoes, going a bit hippy), cake topper, guest book, unity candle from a devine lady in the US who hand carves them, all sorts of stuff if you look hard enough.

I wish i used one weddings are very stressful when your doing everything yourself

Cool

As an ex-wedding photographer, I would say start collecting photos that you like *now* for your photographer. Although s/he may not be able to stage the black swan with the red tulips and the waterfall, the style of photography you want will be captured.

Also on the photos front, make a list of photos you want! And who isn't to be in photos (at all or together)
    (eg - Great-uncle Bob and Aunty Anne with Bride
    * Cousin Michelle is not to be in photos with Groom's mum)

It'll make things easier on the day, as you won't have to worry about placating everyone with photos, your photographer will have direction and you can just relax. Allow heaps of time for the photos... use the time to relax and say "g'day hubby" away from all the guests.

Another hint of mine is horse-drawn carriages. Sure, they look great. But their top speed is a crawl, and I've known bride/grooms to take over 2 hours to get to the reception! (by which time they were very drunk). So use them sparingly - think of the times realistically.

kaz

I guess it depend on how much time you have but I loved planning my wedding, it was the best time. DH and I even made up our own invites and they looked so beautiful! The best thing was our wedding was absolutely perfect for us.

You can usually get a local wedding guide from newsagency or go to some wedding expos

I didnt use a wedding planner at all, most only dealt with major places which wasnt where we were wanting out wedding to be.

We were engaged for a fair while. I found a place online where you could have either your cermony and/or reception. When i saw this, i said to DH this is it, this is where we are getting married. He laughed, fobbed me off . We went and saw the place and booked it for 8 and 1/2 months later, we were very restricted for the dates we could due to my work.

I did nearly everything myself. DH was so proud of all the effort. As well as guests. The venue which we had now uses our table set us as there promotion picture. Which i do feel very proud off as i planned and made table decorations, place cards etc.

I also found other things done by booking others. I got the cateror through the reception venue who then recommended a person for the cake. We booked our photographer as we had previous photos taken and were happy, she recommended a florist who she had done her wedding photos recentally. This saved a lot of time. I think smaller companies are better than larger ones due to personal experiences through friends.

If you want anything at all PM me, I have kept all the lists and things such as who you want to be photographed, a standard list which we edited etc. Photos collected for various themes, colour ideas etc as have planned and helped lots of friends as well recentally.

Yep, do it.

I loved planning my wedding and everythinhg went perfectly to plan. But if you have doubts or unsire where to start, let a profesional do it. It is probably one of the biggest days of your life so you'll want everything to go smoothly and be able to just relax on the day.

I ran my wedding as a project, complete with project plan, schedules etc. There are some great downloadable wedding planning books on the net, also have a look on the microsoft website in the templates section and search weddings, there are handy lists etc.

If I didn't get married in my brother's back yard and have the reception in his loungeroom I would have gone down the path of a wedding planner.

First thing I did was pick a theme. Once I had that I designed the invites etc. I didn't have set seating at the reception, just put people on tables - well had one table for my family, one table for DH's family, one for my workmates & a HUGE table for everybody else.

DH & I are planning on re-doing our wedding in a few years time, to have it the way I really wanted it and not have to take into consideration certain invited guests. I honestly wanted a black-tie ****tail party but knew that some of his family wouldn't be able to do it and I've been to a black-tie wedding when the groom's family didn't dress properly.

Good luck with it all, just remember to ENJOY THE DAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast