Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: would love to hear how you were proposed to . .

We went to a work christmas break up in Melbourne so stayed down in a posh hotel for the weekend.
    He had actually asked my mum first and then asked her if it was a good time to ask dad before going.
    Anyway there was a porsh meet at Albertpark Lake and we decided to lay on the grass in the sun...it was so nice and warm. BANG out pop's this little box and all I could do was laugh of course I said yes and thankfully he did it then and there. He was actually going to propose infront of everyone at the christmas meetup

Some of these are so romantic and make me wish DP could re do his!

We had talked about marriage right from the start of our relationship, DP pretty much said he didn't want to get involved with anyone who didnt see marriage or kids in their future. So being just 15 i knew that he was the person i would do both things with. We picked out a ring when i was 17 and i said for him to pop the question when he felt ready and if he really thought i was the one. So when one night he decided to make me dinner, he wouldn't let me anywhere near the kitchen. He was cooking for like 2 hours. Then after a while he comes into the loungeroom tells me to close my eyes, leads me to the dining table and tells me to open my eyes and he has a dinner all set up, candles and everything! sooo sweet and then we have dinner (this all would have been PERFECT if i didnt have the flu...) and then half way through he comes over to me kneels down on one knee and asks me to marry him, oh i blubbered like a baby and said of course!!

But being only 17 we didnt announce it to our families until i turned 18, so i couldnt wear the ring but we knew we were engaged

I love them all!. Dp doesnt really want to propose he just wants to give me the ring lol

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

We were in Singapore for New Years Eve and I knew he'd asked my parents for permission (they were on holiday with us as we were living overseas at the time) and he'd been guarding a bulging sock with his life, so I was extremely suspicious! LOL. So on NYE he and I went out to watch the fireworks, they stopped and he asked me to stand up and started to say something, but then BOOM! Fireworks started again. Poor boy looked devastated, so then they stop finally and I look at him expectantly, he asks if I want to go for a walk, of course I do. So we walk a bit and he looks at me, and then I realise I'm standing in mud and sinking a bit and I RUN AWAY going AHH MUD!!! I get to the other side of the mud patch, and he's just laughing at me. So he catches up and I ask what he wanted to say (ooh, smooth!) he says he needs a drink, so we head to rafferty's hotel, we're almost there when he says ''bugger it'' and looks at me again and THEN a bunch of people come up to us and shake our hands and wish up Happy New Year, I have never been so ungracious to strangers wishing me well as that night! So we finally get to the hotel, I sit, he chats with the bartender. Then he comes up, grabs my arms, and says ''Now! Run!'' so we run til he finds this gorgeous little lit up fountain, where he gets down on one knee and reads me the sonnet he'd written. I think it's a testament of our love that he kept trying to propose, and that I was looking into his eyes when I said yes, and not at the ring (the ring is absolutely stunning!). And then yeah, I spent the next day pointing at EVERYTHING!

I apparently messed up his original proposal plans lol

We had gone to Phillip Island for our one year anniversary and we had gone out to dinner at one of the nice restaurants but I had a massive headache which made me feel so sick I couldn't eat my dinner & just wanted to go back to our B&B and sleep So the next day I'm feeling better we do some sight seeing, went and sat on the beach to see the penguins come in at night and crashed back at the B&B with pizza and a bottle of bubbly where cuddled up on sofa he pops the question and I of course say yes........then he tells me he had it all planned for the night before and didn't I feel a tad guilty but still wouldn't change it for anything

oh and I forgot. He went to ask Mum and Dad's permission and told them he had to ask them something.
    My mum pipes up "Mate if you need money we just can't help you"
    lol
    and then when he asked she says "no worries love and you can take all her **** with you too!"

After a child, and 6 years together.... Hubs said to me one Saturday arvo... "let's get married.... in spring".
    That was it. No on one knee stuff or nice dinner or flowers or anything. LOL
    It didn't matter to me... My husband is not someone who does romance...

Quote Originally Posted by human bean View Post
    We went out to dinner that night and I spent the evening pointing to everything in an exaggerated manner to show off my ring
    bahahah! CUte!

DH called me... while he was in the house.

He had duced out to get some supplies because we were getting our concrete painted out the front patio, and picked up the ring on his way. When he got home I had JUST sat down after doing a few chores when my mobile rang out in the kitchen. I asked him if he'd grab it for me, seeing as he was in the room at the time and was coming into the lounge. He told me no, to get it myself, and I do believe that I called him the "w" word XD
    When I went to "answer" it my ring was sitting on top of my phone. When I walked into the lounge room (totally gobsmacked because I had NO idea it was coming) he just said "so, will ya?" with a big stupid grin on his face.

I love how he proposed, it's just so DH. Spur of the moment, quirky and slightly immature ^^;

These are gorgeous!

DF and I had had a tough day; it was about 1 month after we had lost our first baby, and we had gone to the park to release a balloon. We were lying in bed that night talking when I burst into tears. It was the first big cry I had had since the m/c. We just held each other and cried and cried over everything we had lost. I was lying with my head on DF's chest and he was stroking my hair with one hand and his other was placed on my tummy. I said something along the lines of how I wanted out little family back (because when I was preg DF would put his hand on my tummy and talk to Baby about how we were a little family ) and DF said to me, "Well I know it will never bring our baby back, but we can get working on being a little family by ourselves, if you'll have me." I just burst into (more lol) tears nand said ofcorse, over and over Was a beautiflu night, I have never had a more peaceful sleep

Mine was anything but romantic (well to me anyways...lol) Basically he told me he was going shopping for a ring, so i went for a walk to get some lunch... and when i got back he asked "do you want to do this now?" (ever the romantic... NOT!!) so i said "can i finish my lunch first?" after lunch he got down on one knee and asked if Bump (i was 8 months preg) and I would do him the honour... we of course said yes! lol...

My birthday is the day after valentines day. 2 wks before it, we picked up the ring we picked out, so I knew it was coming. I was not allowed to read his emails...

Anyway. I was at work, the week before my birthday. My dh and boss at the time had the same name. The phone rang and (I'm still working while I'm the phone) and the person on the other end introduces himself, and where he's from, says "Andrew has something he'd like to ask you". I didn't think much of it, because to be honest, I was more focused on what I was entering into the data base than listening the the caller. I thought it was odd though that Andy was down the hall way and just coulda shouted for me.

The person, who I've now worked out where he said he was from - which puzzles me even more - puts Andrew on the phone. Once Andrew starts speaking I stop typing and focus. It clicks and I work out what's going on. Finally he asks me and, even though I'm normally a smart ar$e, just say "yes!" omg, you have no idea how much I was shaking! I could hear how much Andrew was shaking too! The guy comes back on the phone, thanks us and gives us 2 tickets to see "Walk The Line", and announces it'll be on the air in the next half hour.

Yep. I wasn't allowed to read the emails because he was organizing with the radio station to propose on air! I hung up from the announcer and rang him. Then I rang mum, in tears, and she's wondering whats wrong and I thought, hang-on I wont spoil the surprise, so I told her that Andrew dedicated a song for me and it'll be on air soon. She rang HIM first when she heard it My aunts and grandparents heard it too, even though we didn't tell them. They were already listening to the station!

I got sent home early coz I couldn't "work in my condition", and waited and waited and waited for Andrew to come home. Finally he did and I ran down the front stairs to see him. He gave me a dozen red roses. Then said, they're not enough and I got another 12!! He told me the ring wasn't ready to be picked up from the jewelers yet, but I didn't care!

His parents live the closest so we went to their place for dinner. He had organized with his mothers friend to get a cake. She came over the his parents place too and we all had dinner and then when cake came out all I could see was CAKE!! CHOCOLATE CAKE! The friend said "Andrew had a hand in it." about 3 times before I really kind of heard her and had a look and there smack bang in the middle of the cake, was my engagement ring!

Reading back on this, I think he's used up all his romantic on the proposal!

Default would love to hear how you were proposed to . .

We were lying on the floor cuddling and talking and he did this speech about how much he loves me and I mean to him forever blah blah it was 3 weeks after we started dating he was 16 I was 17, later on he even asked my dad lmao

ohhh these stories are FUN!

My DH totally suprised me on the 'romance' stakes. he was always rather adamant that he wasnt into romantic stuff like weddings etc. so when we went to italy for a few months to catch up with family and friends i had NO IDEA that there was a plan-a-brewing...

we were staying at his mum's place which sits in the foothills of this mountain that has an abandoned 12th century castle that no one ever visits (apart from spotty boy scouts and well, us lol). DH and LOVE that place and would go up everytime we were in italy. so again, when he mentions that we could go up for a picnic on the weekend i was none the wiser. we get to the top and i do notice that he is really quiet and i start to worry (thinking another family 'italian style drama' is about to unfold lol)...anyway we are sitting on this rockface on top the mountain looking over Pisa and across the ocean when he turns around with this small box in his hand and says: 'so will you? will you marry me?' LOL! he was SOOOO NERVOUS!!!! i immediately said yes and we kissed and cuddled for ages then i put the ring on and almost fell off the mountain as i kept looking at it as we walked home lol.

(oh, and apparently he had tried to ask me a few nights before...apparently he had this plan of driving me up to an even bigger mountain that has a big lookout, but he forgot that i am TERRIFIED of mountain roads (and italian drivers...including him lol)...so had a *minor* panic attack and we had to turn around!!)

I don't know if I can tell my proposal story here as my DH proposed via the rival site Essential Baby.

We had already organised the wedding date and I never thought there would be a propsal as I didn't want an engagement ring and we already had our first child. So one day when I finally get to the computer to do check the forums I couldn't believe it when I saw in my fave section DH asking if I would marry him. The thread was already up to 7 pages by the time I got to it and everyone thought it was a joke. But he was down on one knee (which wasn't usual as he was looking over my shoulder) when he asked so What do you think? (Which is funny as that is what section it was in!!). Not totally romantic but a step up from a non -proposal. I updated the thread with our wedding pics and still go and read it every now and then.

Directly taken from our wedding website:

PYJAMA PARTY! Screamed the invitations... It was Tenielle's 21st birthday party and the place was rockin'. Speeches were being made. Suddenly, Scott was on one knee and Tenielle was sliding down the wall in shock... Her mum rushed forward and muttered "Maybe you should wait until tomorrow, she's had a bit to drink"

After a few minutes (which seemed like hours to Scott), Tenielle finally opened her eyes, looked at the man she loved and uttered the words: "Are you serious? You're mad!" Scott said he was serious, as Tenielle stood up again. She pulled him to his feet and said "What do you think? Of course I will!" as he collapsed in relief... She just kept repeating that he was crazy.

The DJ started the music again as Tenielle was surrounded by friends and family, all vying to see the ring. "Where's my... my fiance?" she thought... He was on the dancefloor singing at the top of his lungs. "Always Look on The Bright Side of Life" will always have special meaning to the couple...
    There was a little more to it than that, but there's the basics

I would love to have a romantic story to tell the grandkids. But I don't. I was peeling potatoes at MIL's house a couple of days after my 21st birthday, and MIL said "I thought you were going to get a diamond ring for your birthday". To which DH replied by asking me "so do you want to get married?".

No, I'm not kidding. That was it. I made him take me to dinner later though! It might not have been the best start but we're still together 20 years later!

In June 2005, my Husband Gary planned a surprise weekend away for us to Eungella National Park in North QLD, he booked us into a beautiful Horse Riding Resort as I am horse mad, we had our own cabin complete with campfire, outdoor shower all by ourselves in the wilderness, we went horseriding on the Saturday with a big group, he had the ring in his pocket the entire day and was so nervous but I had no idea!! Nothing happened on the Saturday but we had an amazing day riding and a gorgeous night in the cabin

On the Sunday he had organised us to go Horse Riding on our own all morning, we had a great time, the weather was perfect, the scenery was outstanding and we were having so much fun, we came to this little creek in a field and being a not so accomplished rider Gary said he needed to take a quick break, he got off his horse and asked me to hold it, went and splashed his face in the creek and came back to me while I was still on my horse, he asked for a kiss and as we were kissing a felt him fumbling around in his pocket, out came the box, he got down on one knee and had a little speech prepared which I will remember the exact words to forever...

He said, "Alicia, I am in love with you and nothing would make me happier than for you to become my wife. Will you marry me?!"

I was so surprised! The first words out of my mouth were "Are you for real?!" But in an excited OMG way! He sort of gave me a funny look for a second and then I said "OMG YES!" and flew off my horse got down on the ground with him and we were both crying and hugging, so so soooo happy, then he reminded me of the ring!! I hadn't even looked at it!! It was PERFECT! My dream ring! The exact ring I had described to him! A .75 Carat Princess Cut Diamond with 8 smaller Princess Cut Diamonds, 4 on each side of the larger one.. We immediately rode back to the stable holding hands on cloud 9, we got back to the stable and everyone there rushed to us asking "Has it happened?!" They were in it all along, lucky it had or they would have blown the surprise! We were so excited to get home and tell our friends and family that we didn't even stay the extra night he had booked! When we got home I found out that everyone had known all along! Gary had told all of my friends and family what he had planned and they were all waiting for our call

It was the most amazing, beautiful, thoughtful and romantic proposal I could ever imagine and the happiness I felt then has only ever been topped on our Wedding Day and our DS's Birthday, which were both equally as perfect!

DF popped the question the day before my 21st birthday (he wanted it to be on my birthday but I organised a photo shoot). We were on Hamilton Island with 2 of my closests friends to celebrate my 21st (I had never had a proper party so organised a weekend away). The photographer took us all over the island and we ended up on the beach for our final location. After a few pics, she gets DF to kneel on one knee and me leaning over him. She took a few pics and said that that was the shoot over with, when DF reachs into his pocket and says that there was one thing he needed to do first. I realise what is going on and in my shock almost fall over him trying to get the ring. It was all caught on photo and I said yes ofcourse.

It turns out he had asked my parents before we left and when he got the ring he had my big brother with him (the worlds bigest blabbermouth). Even my best friends knew and they never told me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast