Thread: Any secondary school teachers?

Default Any secondary school teachers?

I have started casual teaching at a boys school and was doing ok until today. I had two classes that really pushed me to the edge. Do you have any tips for me about how I can manage casual teaching better? How do good casual teachers deal with bad behaviour?

ok well im not a teacher but i do know as i was a student not long ago most of us treat casual teachers like crap coz we know we can get away with a lot more without the usual teacher around not sure how u should deal with it maybe if it gets unbareable u should talk to a coordinator or vice principal or even the principal as boys can be a lot worse when it comes to playing up at skool i know its not very helpful but it is an insight into students world i know im guilty of doing it sometimes i wish i didnt but cant take it back now

Afraid I've never done casual teaching - I've always been permanent... but at my current (if you can call it current when I'm on maternity leave) I've always had to take a lot of extra classes to cover for absent teachers (the joys of the private system! ).

Anyway, the one thing that I can suggest is learning their names as soon as possible. Don't always trust what they tell you, though. They will try to switch names and give false names and so on, and I can imagine it would be so much worse with someone they don't know rather than someone they just don't normally have. Look at diaries, pencil cases, books - read the names. Listen carefully for what they call each other - if they are trying it on over names, theyll often slip up when speaking to each other rather than you.

Of course, developing a thick skin helps. Don't let them smell fear - they are a bit like wild animals in some ways. If you enter the class room with confidence and expect to have them follow instructions, then it's often half the battle won. Strange as it may seem, a bit of an "I don't care" attitude can help... Show them that you don't take it personally and you don't care how much time is wasted, but they WILL do what is needed, even if it means staying through lunch or recess.

Find out as much as you can about the school's discipline procedures and follow them. Use the language in the policy (you'll often find that students will be familiar with it and respond to familiar ways of expressing things). Don't be afraid to come down harshly on one or two students straight off - it all goes towards establishing your authority.

On a final note - most teachers will end up leaving too much work (as there's nothing worse than running out of work when you are covering for someone) so don't stress if it doesn't all get done. Set homework and leave a note letting their regular teacher know what was done and what was set.

And in the end... take a deep breath, watch the clock and pray that you don't have to face them again tomorrow... but if it's a school you'll pick up work with regularly - the name thing is the key.

Good luck - I hope things improve. And please excuse any typos - boy sleeping in one arm so typing one-handed tonight.

BW

LOL, thanks for the advice and for typing it one handed holding your little one. They are like wild animals! I think one of the problems was I was showing that I cared. I have to be more nonchalant. Learning their names is a good one. I am going to be going to the same school regularly so that is a great tip. It is hard to work out exactly how I should act when someone is very rude and disrespectful. Most kids are OK but the ones that seem to have emotional problems are the hardest. They really don't care what you say to them and usually are in trouble from a range of teachers so punishment doesn't help.I will read the discipline policy and have a chat to the coordinators. What do you think? Thanks again