thread: How to find good staff.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

How to find good staff.

I'm looking for a new receptionist/admin type person.

Where is the best place to put an ad for staff?
    I've used seek in the past. Is it any better or worse than the other employment websites?
    Does anyone use the classifieds these days?

You were RAK'ed in 2015

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

What I've tended to do is put it on Seek and then share it on my Facebook, twitter and LinkedIn. That way I use the job board but make sure I've given it as much promotion as possible. I work in online, so haven't put anything in the print classifieds, but I still look at them each week in my local paper. A lot of papers do deals where you put it in the paper and they'll put it on their sites too (CareerOne or MyCareer)

Jan 2011

Not much help from here, but we've used seek and the like in the past and we find the quality of applicant isn't always great...(meaning how suited they are for the job etc).

Be interested to see if anyone has been suggestions too!

Sep 2009
    watsonia north victoria

you can advertise on gumtree as well now....

theres always a wide variety of adds on there

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Not much help from here, but we've used seek and the like in the past and we find the quality of applicant isn't always great...(meaning how suited they are for the job etc).
    Same. Half the resumes we got last time didn't even come close to meeting our requirements despite the fact that I tried to be very specific.

The HR companies charge a fortune so we won't be bothering with them again.

Nov 2007
    Earth

Seek or CareerOne are the best IMO. I think it's actually worth the expense of getting an agent to do it for you, they have a wider reach than just putting the job on a website or two. For instance, I applied for a job through CareerOne, and the agent put me forward for another one I hadn't seen, because I was perfectly qualified for it. I got it So with an agent, you're getting access to all of their experience as well, and you also have a 'warranty' of sorts with your new employee - if they don't work out within 3 months, the agency will find you another applicant for no extra cost.

Also, I'm in reception/admin, and am totally willing to let you pay me to relocate

ETA - Apparently you posted while I was typing, and made my entire post irrelevant. Except for the last paragraph.

Dec 2007

I had a boss who still only uses the classifieds for reception admin roles. Her logic is that she likes to see people can still do things the old fashioned way (which was important in the company I was at).

If I am actively seeking work, I will actually scour the classifieds as well as online.

Feb 2008
    Gold Coast, QLD

Also, consider this. It's really hard to find good people in general, so if you have a good person working for you already but they're not necessarily best suited to their current role, perhaps it would be prudent to move them to a new role instead of getting rid of them.

I have no idea how big your company is, I just wanted to put that out there.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

CareerOne you say? I just had a look and it is almost $50 cheaper than Seek. I like to save money

Unfortunately we have no-one we could move into the job.

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

I would also try advertising in the local community ie. in the school and childcare bulletins etc to attract some different applicants

Add CKJ on Facebook

Dec 2011
    Central Coast NSW

There is also a website called careermums. Not sure on pricing though.

Finding staff is definitely hard, finding good staff is near impossible. My boss is onto her 4th replacement for me and I only left last month!!! One quit the week I was leaving after 11 weeks of training!!!

Good luck

Oct 2006
    Adelaide, SA

where are you Onyx?

I'm looking for a new receptionist/admin type person.

Where is the best place to put an ad for staff?
    I've used seek in the past. Is it any better or worse than the other employment websites?
    Does anyone use the classifieds these days?
    If only I lived in Canberra LOL

Mar 2004
    Sparta

where are you Onyx?
    I'm in Canberra.

Astrolady, if you lived in Canberra I would hire you in a flash. A milliflash even.

Jan 2011

CareerOne you say? I just had a look and it is almost $50 cheaper than Seek. I like to save money

Unfortunately we have no-one we could move into the job.
    Let us know how careerone turns out! All for saving money too

Jun 2010

When I'm seriously looking for a job then I look in both classifieds and online. When I was serious about starting in admin I also looked at and was put on through a traineeship, is that something you could do?

Feb 2008
    Near the Snowies!

Is a 2 1/2 hour commute too much... Lol

BellyBelly Member
    Add kitten2b on Facebook

Feb 2005
    canberra

I have a friend who might be suited?