Thread: Marriage Celebrant

Default Marriage Celebrant

Recently, I have been wading through truckloads of wedding information and was looking at marriage celebrants and it got me thinking, how does one become a marriage celebrant? So, off I go to google some marriage celebrant courses and I find that it actually seems quite doable to become one - only a short course, either classroom or online and costs from $500 or thereabouts.

I was joking around with DF about becoming one, but now I'm thinking it may actually be good fun! Only downside would be working weekends.

Anyone a marriage celebrant? Do you like it? What don't you like about it?

Hey Laranna, are you still thinking about it?

LOL Janie...I'd forgotten about this post!

It would be something fun to do but I feel like I'm too young to be a celebrant. All the celebrants at weddings I've been to are more "mature"

friends of mine have a family business celbrant and photographer

I've actually thought of doing this too (coupled with pre-marriage counselling) when I get my full attention span back (won't be long now) and a little time to myself (maybe a bit longer) but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get work.
    Going to keep an eye on this thread

Maybe you could think about niche weddings with a different (younger) vibe...?
    My BIL became a celebrant as some friends of his wanted him to marry them on a glacier...

I've actually got my brother looking into it so he can wed me and my DF. My dad said he has thought about it but got turned off by the having to pay and register every year...but i think it is doable, but it is hard work cause you obviously have to know stuff.
    =)

Laranna, a girl from school (in Perth) who was a year older than me is a marriage celebrant. Quite popular from all accounts. She would be about 32.

smiles4u Guest

Wink

I looked into it when i was in my early 30's ... A male gay couple i knew were strongly encouraging me to focus on doing ceremonies only for gay couples (we were hopeful legal gay marriages would happen sooner) ... but the responsibility for example if you were to run late for unforeseen circumstances (eg, car broke down or got lost getting there) would weigh too much on me ... so, i simply couldn't pursue it