Thread: What do I write on resume in this circumstance??(LONG!)

Default What do I write on resume in this circumstance??(LONG!)

Ok I will try to make this short.. Basically my 'career of choice' is Family day care.. I have done it before but then we moved up north for DP's work and we had his son full time so I didn't work at all..
    When we came back to the coast, finding a house wasn't the easiest thing in the world so we lived in duplexs, so not suitable for family day care.. Since we then only had DP's son half the time I thought I should get a job so I got a job in a call centre and put 'travelling' on my resume to fill the gap when we were up north (yes I lied, but we did travel up there and I didn't know what else to put)
    Then I fell pregnant and while I was preg we found a house with as granny flat so the plan was perfect.. Have twins, rent out granny flat for 12 months and have that time off with bubs then do Family Day Care again in the granny flat..
    Well now I don't feel up to doing Family Day care at this stage, also it isn't financially beneficial as we would have to get rid of our tenant who rents out the granny flat and I wouldn't really make that much.. If twins were here then definately would have been best solution financially and otherwise but not now.. So not only do I have no idea what to do after this 12 months is up (still sticking to that) but I have no idea what to write on my resume. I had to give up work when I was 19wks so that was like October last year since I have last worked..
    Anyway sorry for the rant but any advice?? Also do I bother putting certificates that are expired? I mean I had a blue card when I did FDC which is expired now but I thought if I put that on there even though it has expired it still lets employers know that I can get one?? Also 1st Aid CPR??

Last edited by blessedatlast; April 16th, 2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Thought of something else

I would put maternity and bereavement leave. They can't use that as an excuse for not hiring, and really speaking, if they refuse to hire on the basis that you you are not coming straight from another job, that is discrimination.

Yes I was thinking something like that.. What about when I write a covering letter do you think I should elaborate.. I mean I know they are not supposed to discriminate but I would hate them to look at my resume see the maternity and think I have kids therefore have to organise childcare etc or they could see the bereavement leave and think I am a basket case (which I am, don't tell anyone!) I just want to write what is going to give me the best chance or at least an equal chance.. I don't know.. This wasn't meant to happen!!!

I would put what Ali said.

The employers that would discriminate you for those reasons are ones that you wouldn't want to be working for anyway. The ones you would want to work for won't ask questions - they would understand the situation.

Hey, I'm a childcare hirer and firer. You can put maternity and bereavement leave, or you can leave it at "no work undertaken" and if someone really wants to know, they'll ask.
    Put your expired certificates, as it shows you do know how to get one. Get your 1st Aid and CPR updated ASAP, or add to your resume that you are "willing to undertake update study as soon as possible" This shows that you know a bit about the industry.
    Shame you're on the coast!

Firstly, and a big 'Thank You'. DP and I spent quite a bit of time on Tuesday night looking at the website you made for Taite and Seth. I had my NT scan the next morning (yesterday) and I must say, that it was because of you and your smiling face that we were able to get any sleep at all that night. We kept talking about how you looked so strong and so beautiful holding your boys and regardless of what happened at our appointment the next morning, you were living proof that I would indeed survive. So again, thank you - you are an amazing example of a living Goddess and I envy your strength more than I could ever put in words.

Back on topic - I work in the recruitment industry and when I was starting out, I spent a couple of years working in the Job Network side, dealing with people who were receiving Centrelink assistance of any sort: anyone from parents returning to work, the general short and very long-term unemployed, people with disabilities or mental illness, those just released from jail, etc...

As you can imagine, it was quite common for people to have long or short periods of absence from employment and we needed to be quite creative at times to present their skills, abilities, qualifications and passion in the most positive light while not glossing over the gaps in their resumes. My advice to you is once you figure out what industry it is in which you wish to work, you need to tailor your resume and cover letter accordingly. For example: I read your original post to mean that you are not interested in returning to FDC/it's not a viable option at this time. If that's the case, then including expired qualifications on your resume won't really be of much benefit unless you are looking for work in a field where these will be useful.

Also, I agree with Mel that you don't want to be working for an employer who is a judgmental prat that would look unkindly on the assumption that you're a parent or someone is grieving- whether their assumption was right or wrong. I think the best way to handle this is to briefly mention the pregnancy and bereavement on your cover letter as you suggested and say something along the lines that 'while this was admittedly a time of profound sadness, I believe I have come away from this experience with a heightened awareness of my own strength and determination which I feel will greatly benefit you as my employer.' May sound a tad cheesy, which could be due to my North American lingo, but believe me, employers like this stuff.

Finally, there are heaps of skills that you would have demonstrated while staying at home with DH's son. Everything from organisational skills to budgeting, time management, etc... These can all also be reflected on your cover letter.

If you ever want any help with your cover letter or resume, my services are available for the one-time low fee of $299. (Sorry, insomnia has left me with late-night infomercials stuck on replay in my head). No in all seriousness, just PM me at any time and I'll help you out as much as I can.

Best of luck (and sorry this was so long)!!!
    Shari xo

Thank you so much for you replies.. I have a little while to think about it, I just thought I would maybe start looking at what I need to do.. I am sure I will want to get back into FDC one day just not yet.. And to get a job in a child care centre well I have no qualifications so thats out.. I will probably just look at something in the call centre field again.. Some call centre jobs have good conditions and offer part time and I'm not too bad at selling.. Also apart from FDC and bar work thats all I have really done. And I wouldn't go back to bar work. It was ok when I was single, working at night but with a partner it's just not feesible.. Also we will be TTC again so its not like I am looking for a career. I want my career to be motherhood.. I just need something to keep me off the streets lol..

Bloominroses thank you for your words of encouragement.. It is funny because I don't see myself that way at all.. It's nice to know. I feel like I am a wreck and I certainly don't feel strong.. Every morning when I wake up I wonder how I am going to cope.. It really is just one day at a time at the moment.. I am still trying to write our story.. I have done The pregnancy, delivery and I am up to day 10 of the NICU journey.. Haven't been able to go any further yet.. But I will and when I do I can't wait for you all to read it.. How did your NT scan go??
    Last edited by blessedatlast; April 16th, 2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by blessedatlast View Post
    Bloominroses thank you for your words of encouragement.. It is funny because I don't see myself that way at all.. It's nice to know. I feel like I am a wreck and I certainly don't feel strong.. Every morning when I wake up I wonder how I am going to cope.. It really is just one day at a time at the moment.. I am still trying to write our story.. I have done The pregnancy, delivery and I am up to day 10 of the NICU journey.. Haven't been able to go any further yet.. But I will and when I do I can't wait for you all to read it.. How did your NT scan go??
    There is definitely no need to thank me for anything I've said - I just honestly wish there was more that I could say or do to help ease the pain you're feeling and repay the peace and calm you unknowingly sent out to DP and I that night. And yes, we're all eagerly awaiting your story when you're ready to share it with us.

As for my scan, it went really well. Although it took me awhile to believe it, the Dr managed to convince me that there is indeed a baby high-fiving and floating around in my tummy. Thank you so much for being sweet enough to ask, and again, should you need any help with the job search stuff, just let me know.

S xo

Childcare isn't necessarily out with no quals. A lot of centres will recognise your experience, and in QLD, you're allowed to work for up to 3 months before you embark on a path to become more qualified. Lots of places will support you in this, in the form of a traineeship, or with flexible placement and work arrangements. If you enrol in a Diploma, it's currently FREE - thankyou State Govt!
    Note: This isn't a sell-job, but if you did want to do it, you still could. Now's a great time to get yourself more qualified.