Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 Month - 3 Months, May '05 #2

Hi girls, just popped in to see how things were going in here.

Deb- got a brief idea about Gabby's medical situation, but sounds like the drs are happy at the moment so that's good news. Also just thought I'd let you know I have had 4 bottlefed babies and I always microwave the milk and I shake it too, never had big wind problems and have had 4 healthy kids, so maybe both those are more old wives tales LOL, who do you believe these days!

Fi- sounds like you have the right idea with getting Shane involved so you can have a break, you definitely need a little alone time sometimes.

Sarah- poor Zander, I hope he feels better and sounds like things haven't quite settled in the sleep department yet. Hope it happens soon, you have had a rough trot. Funny but it has been my experience that my babies did sleep better than my gf's breastfed babies, but I guess each baby is different so you can't take that on face value.

Also good to see that everybody else is going well.

Best wishes Michelle

Evenin all!

I read today that it isn't actually true about bottle fed babies being better sleepers. Although I have also read that bottle fed babies may have longer intervals between feeds....

I was going to go out tonight, but Wato ****ed me off so I didn't.

Tanya

Hi Tanya- It must be just a coincidence with my kids cos hey have all been very good sleepers and I always thought it was prob bc they always had full tummies and I knew that cos they were all gutses except for jessica. Just goes to show.

Shame you didn't get out, bugger Wato! Oh well maybe another opportunity will come up soon.
    Cheers Michelle

The sleep difference between ff (formula fed) and bf (breastfed) babies is meant to be that bf babies get hungry sooner, because bm digests faster.. thus (if you're talking sleep) they wake up sooner..

But like yahs have said, all babies are different too

K

I think that is where the thought of bottle fed babies sleeping better came from Kirb. So the idea is that bottle fed babies are contented for longer (a bit like a koala eating hard to digest eucalypt leaves, and are sleepy all the time ). In the article I read it said that when breastfed babies feed it releases a hormone which makes them and mother drowsy, which hepls bub to sleep.

Will go into more detail about my sook later, I am going to take Em for a ride

Tanya

I definitly agree on the mumma beign sleepy thing when bfding. I remember at first when I was feeding her, I used to have neckcracker kips all the time while she was gobbling away. Now not so much, but funnily I do find that when I'm super tired and close my eyes when she is feeding, she seems to go down quicker?

I think Jenna has the start of cradle cap! YUCK!!!!! Any tips from anyone?

We lost netball - again.... man, we just dont seem to get it right!!! But on the plus side, next week I should have a full team, that is of course against the toughest team in the comp, so not sure why that helps me... Hmmmm!

Better go and get more housework done. Although all I really feel like is nap.We are supposed to have a friend come over today, and I have FINALLY got her down. She had lots of naps yesterday afternoon and evening, so slept like a pig last night, an she looks like she is doing the same again today. Oh well, I guess this is being a mummy right?

Fi

Debbie Lee Guest

Fi - sorry to hear that Jenna didn't sleep well last night. Honestly, I don't know where the "sleep-promotes-sleep" idea came from but I find if Gabby sleeps a lot during the day, she doesn't sleep as long at night. Yet another case of every baby being different I guess! I hope you were able to have your friend over without too much hassle.

Tanya - sorry to hear that Wato has been a pain in the bum and spoiled your going out time. Hope you guys can sort it out ok.

Our friends came over last night with their 3 kids aged 5, 3 and 2 and OMG!! Soooooo noisey! My house is floorboards and we don't have a rug yet so it was reeeeallly hellish. Gabby screamed pretty much the whole time with wind. I ended up giving her some cool boiled water. She only really sips at it and doesn't have much but I think it eventually helped. I ended up just cuddling her all night because she was so unsettled. She wouldn't feed and, honestly, my boobs felt SO empty so I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't getting much out of them. I think it will be a while before we have guests with young kids over again. They are gorgeous kids but there's just nothing for them to do here and with such a small house, it's hard to get away from the noise.

I did the groceries today and I took Gabby in the hug-a-bub. I put it on before we left (not exactly simple to put on in the car park) but I didn't do it up tight enough so she was on my belly most of the time. Still, she was content and slept. It was heaps better because the baby trolleys are so useless. They are ok when you go around and grab stuff but you can't put the stuff back in the trolleys once it's all bagged-up. So I was having to grab a regular trolley and having to wheel that with one had and hold Gabby out to the car! Glad that prob is solved!

Hey Deb - I always put the sling on befgore I leave home too - I just tighten it up a little in the carpark before I chuck her in. I hear ya on the visitors, its amazing how much difference it makes to your daily routine having people over huh? Specially at this stage where I'm still just trying to live day-to-day. Forget teh 6 months down the track thing! Or even the next week thing!!

Fi

Hello everyone!!!!
    I'm back!!!! ....."WOOHOO!" I hear you all yell

We are in our new house and we finally have ADSL back on, so I can finally come and catch up on how all you gorgeous little bubbas are!!

That said....I haven't caught up much yet as Bas decided he wanted hugs so I'm currently typing with one hand. I'm sure he'll be wanting a bottle soon too...

My darling Felius has gotten hold of a second hand I-Book and spent a fortune today on a wireless connection thingy, so I'll be able to check up on you all from the comfort of the couch

Before I go, I just have to say how much I love our new house!! So much room and you can hear the beach from our back door !!!!!

I'll try to log back on tomorrow if Bas lets me

Hey Zola, good to see you back on. I hope that Bas is doing well. I would love to see some new pics of him, got any up for us to see? Yay on being into your new house too.

Deb, maybe Fi has the right idea of putting the hug a bub on beofre she leaves home and driving to the shops with it on. Poor Gabby, I hope that she is feeling better today, sleeping better too. I am resizing the pics to put up for you. Will let you know when they are done. Poor you having noisy kids over. Try living in my house everyday. Wish that I could send them elsewhere. Oh, thats right I did. The big boys have gone to their dads tonight

Fi, Sorry to hear that Jenna is sleeping well. Tonight is another night and hopefully a good one at that. With Jenna's cradle cap you can try putting some olive oil (or baby oil) onto her scalp in the evening this will loosen the scales up. In the morning give her hair a comb lightly and hopefully it will lift up for you. Then give her a bath and wash her hair. HTH.

Tanya, hope that you had a good ride with Emily. Still not the same as going out hey. Bugger Wato, make sure that you have that night out soon.

I too had heard/thought that bottle fed babies sleep for longer intervals or go for a longer time between bottles than bf bubs. Haven't personally experienced it though. I know that boob milk settles faster which is why they get hungry more often sooo.....

Sarah, hopefully you had a better day with Zander today. I just remembered that you were going to Berry so I hope that he was a good boy for you on the trip.

Tehya has been pretty good the past couple of days. She is asleep atm on the lounge. Hopefully she doesn't think she is out for the night yet. Still catnapping during the day though. I spoke to a friend (teacher at the scrap shop) she is a ECHN and she told me tht hte catnapping thing is pretty common at this age so hopefully she grows out of it soon.

Take care
    Trish

Trish - I reckon the boob thing settles them more cause of smell, and sensation IYKWIM? I just wish my flow would be a little slower, cause sometimes when she just wants a little, she guzzles, and it all comes out her nose, and then she chucks, or gets the hiccups, and then cries, and then has wind.... Its a never ending cycle sometimes. Probably a bit liek Sarah trying to get out the door when Zander is being really chucky baby.

On the plus side, hand expressing has got REALLY easy now, and I can get about 100mls out in 10mins or so, and then still have enough to feed her up at 3am. If I dont express, she guzzles, and I dont have the energy to deal with her at that time of night.

Zola - great to see you back!! And yay on the Imac - only the best people have apples!! I love my little Ibook. So funky looking, although I will admit, the white keyboard is starting to look a little skanky.

As for the cradle cap, I'm disgusted that my gorgeous girl has to get it, and apparently there is nothing you can do to stop it, which sucks. Apparenlty 50% of babies get it, so I'd love to hear about other babies having it. OUt of all 4 of us, only my little brother got it, and I think my niece got it too. I read up about it, and Trish - you are right, thats the only thing you can do, and its management only, not prevention. What an absolute bugger!!

OK - a couple more surfs, and I'm hitting the sack. Where are all the others lately? Some very quiet mummies out there.

Fi

Just a quicky to say that I updated Tehya's page and there are some more of her portrait pics on it for you to look at Deb.

I got Mark to try to give her the bottle also the other night, then I had a turn incase he wasn't doing it right 8-[ Made no difference. This baby obviously just loves her bby.

Fi, I choke Tehya quiet often whe I'm feeding her, I try to lean back abit so that way she has to drink from me rather than me pouring it into her, kwim?

I haven't tried to express for weeks now, honestly I don't have the time or the energy to do it. I find it quicker to just shove her on the boob.

Take care
    Trish

Trish - If I dont express a little out by hand first, Jenna will stop after a minute or so with milk coming out her nose, and she will cough and cough and cough - I always get scared she will stop breathing she does it so dramaticlaly!! What a bugger she wouldn't take the bottle. What about different teats? Or is it just not worth the hassle. I have to admit, I have all these feeds in the freezer now, and I think to myself - why bother, its easier just to use what I have!!! Maybe I'll have enough soon to get a whole weekend away! Woohoo!!

Anyway - out for breakkie this morning, and off to the market. Have to start buying presents for people in NZ when we go back. Baby isa fed and asleep on daddy's tummy at the mo. Soooo cute!

Fi

I have to say that Zander has generally gone 4hrs between feeds from the beginning, so yeah I think it might be that they go longer not that they sleep better.

Tanya, hope things are ok with you....

Yuck on the cradle cap Fi. My mum said that only my brother got it, none of the rest did. Bumma about losing netball again.

Deb I have yet to do the groceries on my own, just don't know how to get everything organised!! I think I'll have to get the Baby Bjorn out & do it your way... Must've been crazy at your place the other night & typical that Gabby decided to be cranky as well - just adding to the noise!

Welcome back Zola Yay at having a wireless connection! It's great being able to sit in a nice warm loungeroom with a laptop!

That's interesting that catnapping is common at Tehya's age. We haven't gotten there just yet....

Well our trip to Berry was great, Zander slept the whole way there & back. He was very cranky for most of the day, but our friend's mum & dad took turns carrying him round! I took him inside at about 5pm just to get out of the cold & he fell asleep - not 10mins later everyone came in to sing happy birthday to 2 people. He slept through that part which was great & I expected everyone to go back outside, no such luck they stayed inside to play a game & he woke up #-o So I fed him & wondered round the house with him cos he was pretty spewy at that stage & my goodness I have never seen so much spew in my life!! He brought up I would guess 90% of his bottle :shock:

On the upside... We got home at about 10pm, had his bottle at 10.30 and was in bed at 11pm. Then HE SLEPT THROUGH!!!!!! He slept from 11.00 - 6.45 \/ Then he went back down at 8.00 and is still asleep now

Sarah, woohoo on getting a sleep through. Did you sleep through too? Bummer about them waking poor Zander up and all of his spew. Isn't it amazing how much can come back up. Brandon had reflux when he was a bub and even now when he burps it's huge and whenever he is sick he still does the monster spews. Grose hey.

Fi, the first time I tried her on a bottle she was only a few weeks old and she took it fine. It was the Advent bottle, I tried her on a normal bottle and teat the next day and she wouldn't have it, the last time I used the Advent too but she still wouldn't take it. Oh well, atleast I know she likes my nipples How cute at Jenna being asleep on Shanes tummy. Now is the time to get the camera out.

Had a pretty good night with Tehya. She crashed out in the loungeroom around 6pm and stayed that way till I stirred her at 11pm by taking her jacket off(she still had her tracksuit on) and changing her nappy. Gave her some boob then we went to bed, I know she woke twice but not sure what time. She's been up and had a play and is back in bed at the moment. I will have to bath her when she wakes up.

Not sure what we are doing today. It is abit yucky looking outside but not raining just yet. Hope that it holds out and just rains overnight. Can you tell I don't really like rainy weather.

Take care
    Trish

Hey girls,

Sarah thanx for asking about me. You must have known I was, and still am feeling a bit down. I feel like I am betraying Wato by talking to you girls about this and not him, but I really am not in the mood to talk to him and I feel like leaving! I am not sure I want to be here anymore, he can be such a selfish *****!
    Anyway I'll explian... My sister had asked if I wasnted to go to a triva night with her earlier in the week, to which I said yes. Not much I know, but I was going to get out of the house by myself, which I haven't done in soooo long. Anyway all week he was trying to call one of his friends, whoopie you say. Well he was planning for him and his friend to have a few drinks the same night, no-one told me. So Friday comes and he tells me his friend might need a lift out to our place (45min drive there and 45 min back). I told him I wasn't happy about him drinking around the girls, esp. when he is responsable for them. Anyway it gets to 6pm and he calls his friend to see whats going on, and it turns out he does want Wato to go and get him!! So I cracked 'em and said well I'm not going with my sister then. He's all like What? I've planned this around you. YEAH RIGHT!! I have to be ready by 7:15 and your going on a 1.5 hour drive at 6 and I am cooking tea now so how much time will I have to get ready (I didn't say this to him, cause by this time I wasn't saying much)!! So he left and I had the ****s up big time. Emily had pinched Violets dummy and Violet decided she wasn't going to go to sleep with out it. So Violet is crying and I am searching around the house for her dummy (plus all the yelling I was doing). My sister got her at 7:30 and there was no way I would've been ready. I told her I couldn't go and she looked dissapointed, I hate letting ppl down. But there was nothing I could do about it, wato still wasn't home.
    Anyway he got home at about 8 and he told me I could go down there (it was at the college bar/lounge), but there was no way!!
    The next day he dropped his friend off in town and came back with some flowers for me and said he was sorry, but I told him I didn't want them. So then he cracked 'em and left for a few hours. Last night I slept on the couch cause I don't want to be near him. He's been really nice all day but I don't care how nice he is I am still angry at him. He does this too much. At my Graduation he was going to cook tea for everyone, he got drunk and went visiting at 4pm and didn't get home until after 6pm! So he is rushing around the house trying to get things done, he is so lucky we were still there when he got home we were going to go out for tea, but we were still waiting for the babysitter to drop Emily off. He kept appolising saying he didn't know what the time was. I was so embarrassed cause my Mum was sitting around waiting.
    Anyway enough of my CRAP!

Yay Zola for getting back online!! We missed you!

Well done to Zander!! I bet you are feeling a lot less stressed today Sarah. Sorry to hear about all his spwing tho.

Fi when my milk starts to pour out I pull Violet off and put a cloth nappy over my boob until it passes... Violet screams but it's better than lots of wind. Also all that expessed milk will be handy for when Jenna starts solids, you can make her rice cereal with it and custard etc.
    Also when Emily started getting cradle cap I used Oatmeal shampoo, worked really well! Can't remember the name of it, the smell reminded me of Almond icing, you can get it from the chemist. Just another option.
    How is your mum?

Not sure what else I was going to say.
    Sorry about the epic post

Tanya

Debbie Lee Guest

Don't apologise, Tanya! Sounds like you needed to have a bit of a vent n e way. Why on earth do some blokes behave that way? Do they not have a brain in their head? I hate it when Neil does stuff like that. It's like his mates and his beer and HIS life takes precidence over everything else! Grrrr! I don't blame you for being so annoyed. Sometimes sorry just isn't enough, is it? Like... if he had done the right thing and looked after the girls while you went to the trivia night, with no hassles, then he would have SOOOOO many brownie points. Yet, he spoils it by having no regard at all for what you needed and wanted at the time. Neil is good at doing that too. In fact, we had a big talk today about how hard it has been for each of us to get used to Miss Gabby being around. I tried to explain to him that he just has to get used to saying no to people for now as his first job atm is being a Daddy. He feels so much pressure because there's so much he needs to get done but doesn't have the time. I say that's fine but he's not the one that can't have a moment to himself EVER! I told him that I am jealous of the fact that he can go out to the garage and do what he wants and he can go to the pub for a few drinks (which used to be my favourite past-time). He doesn't have to suffer the consequences of a hang over. N E way, I think we really heard each-other out. It's all about communication I guess and it will get easier as Gabby gets bigger and is less dependent soley on me.

Sarah - WOO HOO @ Zander's BIG sleep! That must have been awesome for you! A nice reward for having to put up with the grumpies and spews afterwards!

Trish - it's looking like rain here too. I don't want it to rain either. At least with this lovely cool but nice weather we have been having, a walk is an option if Gabby is ****ty. Sounds like Tehya is getting better sleeps. Maybe the cat-napping has stopped for a while?

Fi - hope you managed to get some nice things for the relos back in NZ. Did you carry Jenna around in the hug-a-bub at the market?

We had a 5 year old birthday party today. It was just over the highway so Neil and I walked. Gabby was good for the most part but fussy again while feeding so I honestly think it's the noise. I might have to feed her in a quiet room @ parties from now on. I ended up putting her in the hug-a-bub then walked home with it on. It loosened up quite a bit as I was walking so I really must do it up tighter. More practice I guess! Still, it was better than my effort the other day before shopping!
    We got 8 hours sleep last night but I am still feeling pretty sleepy. Must be because it's a Sunday!

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks for putting those other pics up for me, Trish! They are adorable!! Tehya is such a cutie!!! But you know that already

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast