Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 Months - 6 Months, April '05

OMG, what beautiful babies you girls have! Tegan, you did such a good job with those photos. Dachlostar, Yasin is just gorgeous, I love the 'blue steel' pic. What a cutie Cara is too! Good to hear that Grace is doing well, Bon. And I hope you made it back to Berlin safe, Snowy.

Kaleb had his 4mth check up with the CHN yesterday. He is now 7.63kg and 65.5cm. He has started waking through the night again for the last 5 nights which is a real shock to the system - was getting used to the 10 hours straight. Tried him on a little bit of rice cereal last night, on the advice of the CHN who said he is showing all the signs of being ready for solids. It was a disaster, he hated it and made such a fuss. So obviously he is not ready for them yet. At least I can get everyone off my back (DH, MIL, mother who is accusing me of 'starving' him) about it.

Hey Beth,

I cant believe your mum is saying your starving Kaleb! If that's the case then Lily must be anorexic! They're the same age, but Lily is only about 6.5kgs and about the same length as Kaleb. Don't worry what other people say. Just start him on solids when you feel he is ready to. I'm thinking of starting Lily in about a month because she is showing the signs of being ready and also she has about 220mls formula 4 times a day and is waking up in the night some nights for a feel which is unusal.

Oh, I have a questions. Did/do any of your babies suck on their hands? And i mean the whole fist? Lily had a habit of sucking on her fist. I give her the dummy for her to stop. But she is too cheeky. When we're not looking she spits the dummy out and sticks her hand in! So there is slobber everywhere. I thought it was due to her teething but she does it almost 24/7! Does anyone have any advice as to what i can do to stop her from doing this?

Tegan, I don't think that there is anything that you can do to stop Lily from sucking her fist. Its something that all babies do as part of thier development , the drooling is normal too and it will last until she learns to swallow it. Yasin gets slobber everywhere and I just wipe ip every now and then. When I'm feeling lazy I give him a clean cloth nappy or a face washer to hold and he wipes up his own drool when he tries to chew it.. I could use a bib but its more washing so I don't.
    For some reason for the first year or two the first thing babies want to do with anything new is put it in thier mouths so when she finds her feet she'll probably chew them too.
    Yasin gets a really intense look and sticks his lips out like tweety bird when he wants to fang on something. I saw him give the cat that special look a while ago and a fly that was buzzing around got it too so I'm geussing that if I don't keep a close eye on him he's going to eat all kinds of grotty stuff :feelsick: .

Beth, If you don't think that Kaleb is ready for solids then you're right. You're the expert - you know him better than anyone else. He weighs more than Yasin does now so he's far from starving. I tried Yasin on solids at 4 months and he hated them so I left it for a while and now at 5 months he loves them. He let us know that he was ready by making little chewy faces whenever we ate and looking like he really wanted what we were having.

#-o #-o I left my phone next to Yasin and it just woke him up.

Hi girls,

Beth- don't listen to them, I now it is hard, but they don't know everything! And Jessica is 7mths and weighs 7.32kgs and is 65cms so Kaleb isn't suffering.

Tegan- I agree with everything Dasch said. I think you'll find Lily likes the feel of her fist on her gums. they all do the same thing.

Hello to everybody, won't be long and we'll have some more graduates to the 6 month club.

Cheers Michelle

hello girls,

Tegan, I really like the b/w photo with the towel - that looks just great! Yep, the hands in the mouth is just a developmental thingie. Wolf shoves them in there until he has to choke.... just try to give her toys (like rattles or teething rings) that she can chew on - if she has the hand coordination for it. Since Wolf can consciously grab and hold things, everything goes in his mouth and I found all the presents he got are really useful to satisfy that oral fixation babies have at that stage. I have this giraffe called Sophie, it's a French baby toy (this kid has all the toys - from all over the world #-o ... ) and it's almost like a dog's chew toy and squeaks when he bites it and he loves it. (try googling it, I would love to put a link here but I know it's forbidden)

Beth, I agree with everyone else - your boy sounds very healthy to me and he showed that he wasn't ready for solids just yet. I don't know why some people (especially our parents' generation) keep on harping about solids. My Norwegian friend from the ante-natal class spent 2 weeks with her family and a week with the IL and announced on Monday that she will start solids (and her boy is 3 weeks younger than Wolf, i.e. not 4 months yet) because everyone said that this way he'd sleep through. She tried rice cereal, he only had about 4 spoons and of course didn't sleep through. *sigh* I will wait until Wolf shows some signs that he is interested in food. So far he just seems interested in drinks. He has been watching us intently when drinking something so we gave him a bit of water to try. He pulled a bit of a funny face but was keen to try some more. It was really cute.

Dachlostar, sorry to hear about MIL interfering again. it's got to be very frustrating when DH sides with her. I don'tk now what it is about boys and their moms but you just can't criticise their moms (even when they do)...

Wolf had his second round of inoculation. He was really funny again afterwards,just like last time. he was really whingy and kept on crying and needed to be held and comforted for the rest of the day... no fever.. just odd behaviour by my usually placid and independent bubba.

All is well here in Berlin. The place is as we left it and it's good to be back home! I have to head to the dome now and suss out things for Wolf's christening.

Hugs

Snowy

Hi everyone, I hope you're all well. Its quiet in here at the moment. I'm soo tired today. DH's beeper went off all night and he kept ignoring it so it kept beeping and kept me awake.
    We bought a highchair for Yasin last night. I left it a bit late. For the last few days I've had to feed him in the corner of the sofa with one foot on his chest to stop him from throwing himself on his food. He loves his solids but he's still not sure about the water. He seems to like it hot.
    Snowy, I'm glad that your home was ok when you got home. Its always a bit of a worry when you go on holiday. Poor Wolf, I'm not suprised he was a bit funny after his vaccinations. Its a big load for a little body. Here in NSW they have added pneumonaccocal (sp) to the schedule so the poor little things get whacked with three needles at 4 months. ouchy!!! They have MMR at 12 months here but I'm thinking of leaving it to 18 months because it really seem to knock them about. One of my Dad's friends told me that Switzerland used to give the MMR really early and they had one of the highest SIDS rates in a developed country and then they moved the MMR vaccination back by year and thier SIDS rate dropped really quickly afterwards. It's a bit scary but then again so are measles and mumps.

Yeah Dasch it's hard sometimes when you hear stuff like that, to know whether it is right or wrong, but the actual diseases they are vac against are pretty bad so...I vacinate.
    Cheers Michelle

Hey girls,
    it is indeed quiet in here. Have all the babies started rolling and you are chasing after them? Wolf did a full roll today (back -> belly -> back) and bumped his head on the floor pretty hard and cried and cried and cried. Poor little thing... He gets so agitated sometimes when he is on the floor - and he really exhausts himself! He had big naps both today and yesterday in the early afternoon. I guess his patterns are changing a bit (though I'm having a hard time parting with them - it's been such a nice and predictable routine - 8:30, 11:30, 2:30, 5:30 and 8:00 clock feeds and then bed time... ) well, hopefully his night-waking will stop as he gets older as well

Dachlostar - they get 3 needles? They only get one needle here, but it's a ****tail of 6 different vaccinations. I know - it's scary hearing of those cases, where babies die... and I hate having to sign a waiver at the paed. What has the world come to?
    I had to laugh at the image of you holding Yasin back with one foot . My mom bought the Tripp Trapp high chair from Stokke for me (present for the baptism in 2 months) this week. I am curious to see when I can put Wolf in it. Well, I don't really need to worry I guess until I actually start him on solids.

Not much else to report from this end. Hope you are all well

Snowy

Hey girls,

Not very chatty in here at all is it?

Not much happening here. Lily's teeth are giving her hell again, the poor thing. She's having a real rough time with them. I just wish they'd come right up already. I feel so helpless when she's crying in pain. Sometimes the panadol doesn't even help.

The last few days Lily had been rolling from back to tummy heaps. She only did it once before, but now I think she really knows what she's doing. She almost rolled back over from tummy to back but she had her head right back so she didnt go all the way over. So she's on the move! Soon she will be walking everywhere and i'll have to kepp running after her.

Lily has her 4mth needles on Wednesday. Not looking forward to that at all either.

Dachlostar, when did you start Yasin on solids? did he like them when you started him on it?

Tegan, I started Yasin on solids the first time when he was 4 months old because I was having a bit of trouble with my milk supply and the echn thought that it was a better option than the bottle. He dribbled it all back out the first two days and threw up everywhere the third day (when he finally swallowed them) so we decide to leave it for a while and I managed to resolve the supply issue by giving heaps of feeds for a few days.
    The second time was a few days after he reached 5 months old and he gobbled them all up. We started him on rice cereal for the first four days then we added a bit of pumkin and tried that and today we tried sweet potatoe for the first time - yum yum.
    I'm really glad that I gave up after a few days at four months because it just would have stressed us both out if I'd persisted. I was planning to wait until 6 months but Yasin had differant ideas.
    Are you thinking of starting Lily on solids?

Snowy, IKWYM about Wolf getting agitated on the floor. Yasin gets absolutley furious sometimes when he can't do what he wants.

Yasin and my cat had a big bonding session today. Yasin was holding his paws and pulling his tail. I was a bit worried that Yasin might hurt Zorro and get scratched but after a while they both got bored.

Dachlostar, aww how cute that Yasin and Zorro were bonding! I am thinking of starting Lily on solids maybe at 5mths. I'm going to talk to the MCHN in a couple of weeks. The reason for this is because she has more formula than the recommended amount for her age and she's been waking in the night for extra feeds as well lately, like what she's getting isn't enough. She is also interested quite a bit in what DP and I eat aswell.

Tegan, I'm sure Lily will let you know when she is ready for solids.

Debbie Lee Guest

Tegan - the photos of Lily look fantastic! She is such a cutie.

just popping in quickly to say hi - my internet time is limited as eliana wants to be held most of the time & isn't sleeping during the day but at least im getting about 10hours at night. she is loving her solids & playing as long as she can see me!!
    sounds like everyone's baby's are changing everytime i come in here
    bielee just looked at your gorgeous little baby gabby
    hope you all had a good weekend

Hello girls,

not much news at this end. Wolf still rolls around, gets angry, I pick him up, comfort him, I put him back down and the cycle starts again Well, other than that, he is just super cute. Laughing a lot, chatting to us, etc. Just when strangers are around, he gets really quite - seems to be a bit shy our little boy!

Tegan, have you read Baby Love? It's my bible and the midwife/lactation consultant/paed nurse who wrote it, is really lovely and supportive. She always gives lots of suggestions and re. the solids she said that anywhere from 4-6 months is fine to start. She said reasons to start before 6 months would be, like you describe, if your child does not seem to get enough from milk. Just give it a try - maybe rice cereal or a banana - see how you go, like Dachlostar said. Just don't persist if she doesn't want it. My friend here, whose boy is 3 weeks younger than Wolf, started her boy this week, hoping he'd sleep through / better (which of course he didn't *sigh*). I am very tempted with Wolf, but he is thriving on b/m, so I might as well wait until he is 6 months...

Melbe, yeah on getting 10hours at night!

Dachlostar, lol on Yasin playing with your cat. I'm glad you said Yasin also get so frustrated. It's really a bit tiring picking him up every 5-10 mins... ah well... still love him to bits

Snowy

Well Lily is now 4mths old! OMG! I cant believe it.

I am getting more convinced Lily is ready, or near ready for solids. Today i was having morning tea with a friend and i had Lily just sitting up on the table. There was a fruit plater infront of her and she reached out and tried to take some of the fruit! At least she wants something healthy lol!

I tried Lily in the cot again tonight. I have one of those wedge thingys so they cant roll over. Well she somehow turned her self and the wedges around so she was facing across the cot. God knows how she managed that one! Also it is meant to stop her from rolling well this morning she ended up on her tummy some how. Scared me quite a bit because she cant quite roll back over yet.

tegan - eliana is the same in her cot - i put her in one way & by the morning she is facing round the other way or at some weird angle - i stopped using the wedge thing cause she still moved around - i have her in a sleeping bag thingy too as who knows where she would have her blankets!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast