Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6 Months - 9 Months, July '05

Carol, here is Kellee's method
    we got in a "Baby Whisperer" - she worked at the sleep clinic for years but didn't like how everything was so precise (with the number of minutes you're supposed to let the baby cry, etc.). She made the statement that babies don't know how to tell the time, so the 'minutes' thing means nothing to them (I had often thought this myself). From her I learned that WE can't sleep for Charlie - he had to learn to do it by himself. She taught us to 'read' Charlie's cry - basically, if the cry varies in volume and pitch over an extended time and we were sure all his needs were met then everything was probably ok. If he got hysterical I went in a settled him for a short time (only a few minutes) and left. To start with, I had to settle him most times, but within a few days he was self settling and only taking about 15 minutes to go to sleep. He still has his moments (actually, I can hear him having one of these right now!) but generally he's been pretty good since then. I think finding a balance between the CC thing and other methods we had been taught worked well for us. Every baby and every parent is different though, so I don't know how it would work with you. It is hard for the first little while - having to leave Charlie on his own the first time almost reduced me to tears - but it has been worth it.
    I think that this sounds like the kindest form of 'controlled crying' for mum and bub because its based on listening to the baby not watching the clock.
    She's in brisbane too so if you wanted the contact details of her baby whisperer you could probably just leave a message for her in the 9-12 month forum.
    HTH.

hi all
    just popping in quickly - i have busy the last few days so no chance to get online much
    eliana is finally showing some interest in getting herself around though she looks like some crazy sliding caterpillar - she slides on her belly kicking her legs & using her hands to grip the floor - very strange to watch but we have wooden floors so she is having fun
    i went to toysrus yesterday & they would only price match if kmart had the toys in stock so i didn't get anything except a huge dorothy dinosaur cuddle pillow thingy
    eliana is getting cranky so will catch up with everyone soon
    enjoy your day!

Dachlo, I had no idea Tom Cruise said that - just another reason to dislike him even more.

Aidan is on the mend today which is great, he slept through till 8am (he has been waking at about 5:30am since being sick) so I had a good nights sleep so we are all happy!

I must admit I am very lucky with going to sleep, not often does Aidan have a problem with going to sleep himself. I'm not sure what I have done to help in this regard, I just let him play until he starts to grissle and rub his eyes and as soon as he does I put him in his cot and walk away.

Wow teeth! Aidan is showning no signs of teething so it looks like he might be a late little chomper!

Jess

Jess, glad to hear Aidan is on the mend and that you had a good sleep - makes a whole lot of difference!

Colleen, hope the pics turn out well, would love to see them when you get them back. Wow, Jaykob sounds like a great sleeper, glad to hear he's a happy boy!

Carol, hope Cara's settling is improving for you!

Dachlostar, I had visions of Yasin and your cat, I bet it's pretty funny!

Had a much better sleep last night, thankfully! I actually won a Grobag (one of those baby sleeping bags) in a competition the other day. I had to go to their website and pick which one I wanted and I couldn't believe how expensive they were! But it seems to be working well, so I'm really happy.

congrats dash - i just realised you were pregnant!! woohoo \/
    fingers crossed i get to join you & snowy next month

Thanks for your advice etc. on the cc business! I tried it on the 1st day and found it 2 be sooo difficult. I was reading the cries as well rather than time keeping, but still thought it distressing 4 both of us.
    That night I didn't last but gave in and nursed her to sleep. She deserved a big cuddle.
    Although that was the first night that she did actually self settle! She woke just after 4.30 talked to herself for a bit squirmed then went back to sleep:-) I thought that since I had stopped the cc that the following night would be like all the others - up twice, but no the same thing. So it looks like it wasn't all in vain!
    But if she does return to the usual we'll just keep doing what we were doing... I didn't have a huge problem with it and it was working for us.
    Its reassuring to know that most of your bubs still wake through the night as well.

Snowy - I find too that I also wake up like clock work about 4.30 because this is what Im used to with bub! Im finding it difficult to get back to sleep after this!
    When r u due snowy?

Dach- I had no idea you were preg too! Congrats...when r u due?

Melbe - G/luck with the b/ding!

Carol

hi everyone, I hope you're all well.
    Carol, I'm glad that the sleeping is working better for you.

Melbee, how annoying of toysrus. How do they know what Kmart has in stock? Are they sneaking in to check it? Good luck with TTC. I hope you're up the duff in no time.
    LOL at Eliana sliding around on the wooden floors. I remember when I was a child me and my brother used to use the rugs to slide over the floors. We used to have competions where we would take turns to run and jum on a rug and see who could go the furtherest.

Jess, I'm glad to know that someone else here can't stand Tom Cruise. I've always found him really annoying. When all my friends had crushes on him in Top Gun I couldn't understand why. Brooke Shields is really funny. when an interviewer told her about the dumb comments she said he should stick to fighting aliens .
    woohoo on getting a good nights sleep. I'm glas Aiden is getting better.

I got a bfp on saturday. According to one of those online EDD predictors I'm due on march 20. I don't really feel very pregnant yet. So far it doesn't seem to have affected breastfeeding which is a relief. I would feel a bit guilty if it had. Yasin has never been fussy when AF is around so I geuss he doesn't mind funny tasting milk.
    After this one I'm taking a big long break from breeding and then once I've got both childen in school I'll think about more.

Colleen Guest

Congrats Dachlostar

\/

Congrats Dachlostar!

All you pg ladies are bad influences, you are making me... dare I say it... jealous! I must admit, I have been thinking more and more about work and I really dont have any motivation to go back (esp since my knee went 'on strike') so I think of another one often, but I think DH doesnt feel the same, fair enough too, we struggle to get by ($) with Aidan let alone another - having said that I truly believe you can never be prepared for kids (financially), so maybe I should have 'the chat' with DH and join you???!!!! I like the idea of having them close together (I think I want 3) and then going back to work full-time or thereabouts once the youngest starts school. And my sister is starting to try soon, so it would be nice to time it with her - I better stop talking about it, I am getting carried away!

Tom Cruse - bleh. I too have always thought he was a bit... quirky. I give him that he is hot, but he has a pointy nose and is way too short!!! I didnt used to like Brooke Shields much but I now think she is great.

Beth, good win on the Grobag! They look great and the only reason I havent bought one is the price. I would also love to get a pillow type thing that goes in the trolley, but again, too expensive!

Jess

Congratulations Dachlostar!!! Thats great news. And don't worry, i still don't feel pregnant, i mean my belly is big and round already, but unless bubs is moving i forget i'm pregnant. It's weird cos i was soo different with jules. It's probably just cos she keeps me soo busy, i don't have time to think about it as much.

It's one week and one day till DH and i leave for skiing! I'm getting really anxious cos it will be soo weird not seeing jules for 9 days. She seems to do something new everyday and i'm worried i'll miss something big, like crawling. She really is getting close.

Jess, we live with my parents cos we can't afford to have kids really, but we would rather live with parents and have kids than own a home and not have a family. Your right, i don't think many people are ever really ready financially.

Hope everyone is well.

Woohoo Dachlostar, congratulations, that is great news! Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Don't worry Jess, I am quite envious too! Although DH is very keen to get the next one underway and get it all over and done with (we only want two) I kind of want to savour the whole thing, knowing that the next one will be the last time I'll be pregnant. We're thinking about starting in a month or two.

Another who can't stand Tom Cruise here - he is way too shiny and groomed and smarmy for my liking!

Beth, you gave me a good laugh - 'shiny' and 'smarmy' are not words that would have normally come to mind when I think of Tom Cruise, but they are soooo true! Very exciting about the TTC soon for you, now I REALLY am jealous, you were my due date buddy.

Mel, you lucky thing, enjoy your holiday!

Jess

Hi all

Congrats Snowy and Dachlostar! Hope you enjoy healthy pregnancies.

I have no desire to have another baby at this stage. Too much work! Of course I would be excited if I had another, but that is not going to happen because I just really don't want it to. Labour is a worry for me anyway, because I would almost certainly hemorrage again and I don't fancy going through a blood transfusion.

My SIL is 27 weeks now (the one with the [email protected]#khead husband) and she has placenta previa (sp?) so she will probably have a caesarian at 38 weeks, if she doesn't go into labour before. It's a worry because the placenta is 30-40% covering her cervix and it's also anterior and she has a high risk of hemorrage.

Hmmm...Grace can clap hands now, it's so cute. She just started doing it the other day. She is crawling everywhere and pulling up on everything...basically being a baby!

Anyway hope everyone is well
    Bon

Wooohooo Dachlostar!! So great you joined the club!! Due exactly 1 month after me! That's great news!

It's funny to hear some people are jealous, because I certainly wouldn't have planned it this way. I'm not looking forward to this pregnancy at all, because I feel a bit cheated. I wanted to get my body back before falling p/g again, wanted to wean Wolf and wear nice clothes again before blowing out again. I know it's silly, but I just can't help feeling like it and when I admit it to myself, I feel terribly guilty that I'm not as excited about this p/g as I was with Wolf. I also worry about how on earth I will cope with 2 little ones and and and... I hope I feel better after an u/s where I see our little bean. Currently I'm still freaked out.

Yeah, Bon on Grace clapping her hands! How did you teach her? Did you just clap a lot in front of her or did you practice by taking her hands in yours?

We had a shocking night. Wolf woke every hour and I feel like I've been run over by a truck...

Oooooooooh, I think I can smell a morning poo.... better go change Wolf...

Snowy

Hey all, hope you havent forgotten me!

Congrats to those expecting again, i am jealous too!

Lily said her first word last week, 'baba' She can't stop saying it now.

Not much else has happened, her two teeth have stayed up and are growing huge, they hurt too now that she can bite!

hi all
    just a quick hi to let you know we're still alive - im up at my parents on the sunshine coast again so have limited internet access but that's ok as the benefit of more help is great
    anyway i hope you all have a great weekend & i'll catch up next week when im back in brissy
    mel

Hi Tegan, good to hear from you again! Thanks for the congrats.
    Wow on Lily having 2 teeth. Wolf is still all gums.. kinda cute I think... looks like he's a late teether.

Oh oh nice, Mel, I love the Sunshine Coast! Don't you just love those beautiful houses right by the beachfront?! And of course the endless beach... oh and the food at the surf club is also pretty good (ah..yes.. pregnant lady talking about food...)

Wolf went to see the Berlin bears with his father and grandparents today while I stayed in bed. They get fed at noon every day and apparently they were really playful and Wolf was loving lots when they swam around and climebd in the trees to get their bread and oranges. I'm a bit bummed I missed that but on the other hand really enjoyed my 5 hours of lounging around in bed, feeling sorry for myself. Yep, still got the bloody nausea... I hope not much longer.
    I've got an appointment with my obgyn on Monday and hope to see our little snowmonkey nr.2 on u/s. Last time there was just a gestational sac, so really am holding out for finally seeing our bean!

Wolf is starting to walk on hands... it's spooky... it's going way too fast... he's quite wobbly but keen as a bean to get around. He can make his way along the sofa walking sideways like a crab as well. I can't believe our little boy will be 8 months next week. Where did time go??

Snowy

Hi everyone, I hope you're all well and your bubs too.
    Poor little Yasin has some new teeth coming through which are making him cross and he almost managed to roll himself over in his hammock its time he moved into his cot. He slept in it for a while tonight but then he woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so I put him back in his hammock. I geuss that it will take a week or two before he's in the cot full time. I'm going to miss him sleeping in my room so much but I geuss that it will have some advantages too.
    Dinners ready. Sorry for no personals.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast