Thread: Babies Born April 16th - 30th 2008 #1

Default Babies Born April 16th - 30th 2008 #1

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in April 16th - 30th 2008

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Astrolady ~ Administrator
    Trillian ~ Senior Moderator
    Dachlostar ~ Senior Moderator
    MistyFying

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Your previous thread can be found here Babies Born April 2008 #5

Um mah I'm not meant to be here!!!
    Just thought I'd pop in and visit but noone is here yet!!

Im attempting to get motivated enough to fold the washing...I had to re-wash all BJ's stuff as he appears to have had a rashy reaction to the fabric softener I used and I couldn't remember what stuff was washed with it and what was washed without it...so I re-washed EVERYTHING!

Im going to work towards in the next few weeks just re-settling BJ at 2am when he wakes for a feed rather than feeding him cause he never has much, I think its more just a habit to wake rather than a need! Thats going to be fun...and I imagine quite noisey really!!

Put him down for a nap before and after an hour and a half he woke...and I could just TELL he wasn't ready to be awake (he had both arms out at that stage), so I wrapped him (well, shoved him in the kidopotomus someone gave us) with his arms in, put his dummy back in and so far he's been asleep for another hour!!

Maybe thats what I need to do for night times...although then we are stil getting up aren't we! Not that I mind getting up but it seems so pointless for a measley 30-60ml....

Id better go do that folding....

BW That is what I did with Luke's 4am feed. It has worked a treat so far! Be interested to see how BJ goes!

Hello my baby buddies, thinking that just to make things easier on myself i'm just going to stay in the thread i'm supposed to and visit the other one occasionally to say hello unless I end up being the only one in here.

BW I would much prefer it if you stayed in this group anyway

Today has been really crap for me, not doing very well at all.

It will be interesting to see how long everyone cross posts for, and reads both threads. I may find i'm the only one in here talking to myself.

Hi everyone!

I'm copying & posting in both threads, so sorry if you read it twice!

Sarah - saw the photo of the hearing test. Liam's was much like this (except our pads kept falling off because of his hair!!) - you're lucky bubs stayed asleep!

Am sad to announce that I am stopping the expressing as of Tuesday when I return the pump... I'm getting less than one feed a day now and it's time.

Liam did an 8 hour sleep last night - from 5pm - 1am. Kept waiting for him to wake up! We're hoping for another one tonight, but won't hold our breath. Someone said to me today about babies 'patterns'. I said that 'babies' and 'patterns' shouldn't be in the same sentence! Everytime I think I know what to expect, he changes it again!

I'm about to head to bed. Changed the sheets yesterday and they're nice fluffy flannelette ones... mmmm cosy!

Sharon You wont be talking to yourself - I will be here!!! Probably not as frequently as I would like, but I will.

Nettie Yay for the big sleep. Luke started to do that and then we were able to move it back a tad and get him sleeping for longer at the right time. well done on the expressing for this long.

Have a toothache - it hurts - and panadol really isn't cutting it anymore. Worst is that I am in sydney for work from Tues to Fri so need to get into Dentist on MOnday - which is probably next to impossible. So on top of the ache I am stressing out. May have to cut the trip short or delay going, Will see.

I will be here too! I am just starting to try and transition Daphne out of being wrapped in bed. The maternal health nurse told us it was a risk for SIDs when they can start to roll. Shes doing well during the day but the nights are a bit crap. We've started putting her in a Grobag and wrapping just her arms. In a few days we'll start just wrapping one arm in and go from there. What are you guys all doing?
    Also, Any special tricks for sleeping through? Daphne has gone from sleeping at about 8.30pm - dreamfeed at 11.15 (70-110mls depending on what she takes) then waking anywhere from 3-4.30am to now waking at 2.30am for the last week or so. Should I drop the dream feed? Opinions please!!

Sarah - (I assume you'll be posting here). Liam's cot mirror is called: 1-2-3 Baby Mirror by Taf Toys. I got mine off Ebay. He really likes it!

Clueless Luke has never really liked being wrappped, but I have persisted in wrapping his arms - leaving legs free to kick. I only wrap him loosely though which seems to send the message it is time for sleep. Luke isn't showing any signs of wanting to roll so haven't worried about dropping it yet. As for sleeping through tips, I would drop the dream feed and just make sure she is good and full at 8.30pm when you put her down. I would also try to resettle if she woke any earlier than 5am. We use dummies here and Luke gets one of those if he wakes up early. I am lucky though he is so huge that I don't have to worry about him eating enough! The other thing that I did was close his bedroom door making his room really dark - thsi seemed to help him not wake fully and gave me a better chance of resettling. I also leave a radio on really low so he has some noise. Not sure if any of this will help but Good Luck!

Hi clueless,
    we have never had any luck with a dream feed anyway really!
    BJ has also gone from sleeping 7 (or 7:30) till about 2:30....to 7ish til 11ish, then through til 3ish then up at 7.
    Last night I just put my foot down and kept going in to put his dummy in between 11 and 1:30..then fed him, then he went through til 6, I re-settled him and we got up at 7:40.
    I just dig my heals in..I imagine I'll have lack of sleep for a few nights while I do it, but he will eventually learn (its what basically happens at sleep school too I think...)...still I don't know how long it will last as I have an ear infection and feel crap!

Nettie you have done a wonderful expressing for so long, congratulations. I love getting into a bed with fresh sheets.
    shellbell YAY that I won't be on my own in here. I hate toothache's, I hope you manage to get into a dentist tomorrow so that it can be all fixed for your Sydney trip.
    Clueless well it looks like there will at least be 3 regulars so far LOL. As for wrapping, Jordan was wrapped (tightly) up until he was 12 months old, we then started to loosen the wrap slightly over a couple of days until he didn't need wrapping anymore, none of the mchn's ever said there was a problem with it, and he didn't actually start to get wrapped until he was 6 months old, with all his moving around in his sleep, the wrap always ended up loose by morning time anyway. Oliver is wrapped the same way Jordan was but will probably start loosening it up in a month or so. I also try and re-settle oliver if he wakes before 5am so if the 'dream' feed doesn't seem to be working you could try and see how things go without it.
    BabyWrangler I have been really lucky and have found that the dream feed has worked with both Jordan and Oliver.

OK, I have decided to start Oliver onto Farex tomorrow morning, mainly because he will only have around 50-70ml of his bottle and I think that if we don't start giving him more he may start to lose weight. they say that babies should have around 150ml per KG of body weight, which would mean that he should be having 900ml per day, we are lucky to get to 600ml the way he is going. Also, have given him back his dummy, he was screaming yesterday morning when I put him down for a sleep and he wanted to suck but not on his fist, so I gave it back, he must have realised how much he really wanted his dummy once it had been taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    Sarah - (I assume you'll be posting here). Liam's cot mirror is called: 1-2-3 Baby Mirror by Taf Toys. I got mine off Ebay. He really likes it!
    Morning all,

Seem Wyatt was born on the 23 April I will in this group. If I get the chance I will swap, but I don't enough time to get in my own group let alone too.

Nettie: Yeah I am in still in here. Just busy. Thanks I will have a look to see what they have got anymore.

Oh, last night Wyatt slept for 9hr before he woke up for his boobie... SSWWWEEEEEETTTTT Will ring this morning an book him in for clinic visit.

Cheers all
    Sarah

Re the split:
    Firstly Nettie the magic number of 140 came from Trillian's post advising of the split in the old thread. Somehow it went to 150.
    Secondly I look at the split as this is how the bellybuddies was and how you'd expect it to have continued, why was April overlooked in the first place since March was split before us? SharonI agree with wanting to see how long the doubling up lasts.
    BW happy for you to join in here even if you're not supposed to be as you were in the latter April belly buddies.
    Clueless I chose not to use a dummy, but Greer has become a thumb sucker now. She sleeps 6ish to 8or 9 the until around midnight and then can wake anywhere between 2 and 5am - I don't keep a clock in the room to know exactly when she wakes. I'd say Daphne's sleep pattern is normal and they do tend to change just when you think that it has settled into a routine . You will find that the lack of sleep gets you snapping at each other. My MCHN said between 3 and 4 months make sure that your sleep routine is what you want to be doing for the next 3 years - so if you don't want to be putting a dummy in her mouth to resettle - ditch it. I however still use my finger for her to suck on to resettle for the peace and sanity. Have you tried keeping a sleep diary to work out when Daphne would normally sleep during the day and see if you can find another way of settling her? Fire has previously suggested bouncing on a fit ball, I think MGM does that too. I just go with the feeding off to sleep - bit harder with bottles. We stopped wrapping early as she would just wriggle out of it even the snug as a bugs didn't keep her wrapped, so I just put on an extra layer of clothing.

Fire Thanks for the info re turkey and plastics. When I said ploy - I was meaning it in relation to the cashing in as opposed to the truth behind it. I mean really $16 for a BPA free bottle and only $2-$10 for one that is going to cause problems. If they really wanted us to do the right thing shouldn't they make them cheaper??? I'm actually suprised that DD doesn't seem to have too many digestive issues/allergens at all considering being a c-section bub.

Shellbell - hope you got to the dentist today. I'm going through my treatment for my bite and am getting scared as I have to have every tooth crowned .
    Sharon - you won't be alone in here. Yes I found your ebay listings. I'm not hesitating listing my maternity clothes due to thinking I might have another one, it's more that I seem to have an attachment to them despite not really fitting them any longer - only have 4kgs to go to being back at prepregnancy weight and I haven't even been trying to loose it, in fact the chocolate and flavoured milk isn't helping at all.
    Sarah I'm finding less and less time now that DD is more alert and active, it seems that I just get started doing something and she wakes. I'm hoping to get into a routine soon.
    Nettie Considering you have been expressing without any attachment I think you have done marvellously to get this far with expressing. Someone suggested to me that it might be worth keeping a some EBM in the freezer for months down the track to help with sickness - I think Fire is right about the breastmilk helping with sickness. If you can manually express a little each day for that reason, it might be worth doing. though as I know you were wanting to get to 6 months.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

Well I'm looking forward to tomorrow MIL is having DS for the day and then on Saturday my Mum is having him overnight. He needs to get some attention which he is missing out on with me as I am always doing something with the baby. I am suprised he doesn't get jealous at all, but then again DH really makes an effort with him.
    Gotta dash - DH needs to go to the gym and I need to get DS ready for bed, DD is already there.

sarah I just can't see me having enough time to keep posting in both, it was hard enough keeping up in one group, oh well.
    alittlegrubi I feel the same way about the split, it's how we where in our bellybuddy groups. I don't thin the words babies and routine should be in the same sentence together either, it very rarely happens, or when it does it changes. It will be nice for DS to get some special attention, my DH makes sure he does something with Jordan most weekends, it's their special father and son time.

Today was Jordan's last day of school holidays and we have been meaning to go to the dentist for the last 3 weeks because he has a front tooth that is dead (it is black) it died about 4 years ago when he fell over and landed on his tooth, a few days later it started going grey, well over the last few months he has been losing teeth on the top and I honestly thought it would have been the first one to fall out, but no 6 months after the first one went it was still hanging in there, and his adult tooth was growing out through his gum about 5mm behind it, so we walk into dentist and the receptionist said they where early for once did we want to see him now, we went in, and Jordan was given 'happy gas' 5 mins later, he had a needle to numb the gum and 30 seconds after it had been numbed the tooth was out, Jordan was so wobbly he looked drunk, it was quite funny, he was such a brave boy, i'm glad his first experience at the dentist was a good one.

Morning all,

Ge only 2 post to ready how short and sweet it was, which mean I might have time for personals.

I can bet Wyatt will start to stir now I am here. Anyway here goes.

Grubi: Ge, that sounds nice to have someone else take DS for a WHOLE day. For me, its only me or DH who look after the children. Granny takes them (DS and DD) for a few hours here and there, but mainly us/me. Even on weekend, though I have started making DH take DS to farm with him at least on day on the weekend.
    *DH does do the bed thing with him at night, as I normally go off to bed with Wyatt and DH like to spend that bit more time having some cuddles with DS.
    * How are you doing? Are you still abit sore from c-section?

Sharon: Way to go Jordan, for being such a brave boy. My first trip to the dentist alone, was when I broke a tooth in half while I was pregnant with DS. Heard really bad story about people getting their teeth out so I just keep putting it off and off. Mind you I was scared Poo less. When I did go, they numbed me, and with 10mins of getting in room, the tooth was out.
    * Bouns points for you being early to something. I honestly think when we make appointment for our children @ Doctors etc they should really give us an extra 15 minutes. I very rarely run on time. I normally 5 mintues late to everything. I love it when we as a fmaily want/have to go some where DH comes home gets shower and asked why I'm not ready... 'Cos I have three children to wrangel and then myself.

Me update:
    Well I am feeling fine emotional, haven't had break down for at least 2-3 weeks. DS is behaving better which helps too. I am making the effort to get out twice a week to take DS to playgroup and then to the community house. When weekend comes if not raining, I let Wyatt have his morning nap, and tidy house/do washing and the head off to the farm. Just to get out in fresh air, the kids get to ride their motor bikes and get dirty. For the rest of the week, I normal stay home unless I have to pick DD up from Kung Fu.

It has been snowing on the mountains here, so amd going to ask DH if it reamin's cold like this for rest of week if we can take children up to the snow. We were ment to go up 2 weeks ago, but then everyone got sick so we had to give it a miss.

My wardobes are in finally, now I just have to get some panel heater and put in the kids bedroom. Wyatt still in bassintte cos I am not going to put him in cold room.

I want to buy a rocking chair for Wyatt . All the other children got some sort of item to help when they were a baby. I found one, NEW same place where I intened to but panel hearter from, so am going to ask for a discount... Am normally not a barginer person.
    Are either of you barginers? What is the best way to bargin?? And Tips??
    I feel bad some times, but I know how much they mark up the products. I brought DS his lovley wooden change table and it cost $375, yet at another store it was only $295. Ge, I was peeved and have never gone back to that store.

Anyway I am making a tip run by the end of this week, seem I have to orgainse wardobe better I am throwning alot of stuff out. I can't be bothered with selling it or putting it on ebay, and it is really too much hassle, and I don't have the time. I brought some melt shelveing so am going to get into shed and tidy that up again. I only did it probley 6 months ago, but seem I made some much room the kids just throw stuff in their and shut door. So it's at the point where I cant open door, with out something falling out. So that is the goal for this week.

So I better go I haven't ramble like this in a long time. And Wyatt has only had little stir,(patt bum when back to sleep)

How you all have a lovely day, and I will take to you either later on or 2 morro.
    Cheers
    Sarah

sarah we didn't have an appointment at the Dentist just walked in off the street, it was him who was early so he was able to fit us in instead of us having to go back another day. I hate running late, it stresses me out, my friends always know that I am always 10-15mins early.

Oliver is going OK with his Farex, he ate a little bit more this morning, still pulls the funny face as if he doesn't like it but I know it's only because it is a new taste, and once he gets the hang of swallowing it he will be fine. It was the 1st day back at school for Jordan today, and it was a nightmare, firstly he didn't want to get out of bed, then Oliver did a poo right as we where about to leave, then Jordan wanted to find something to take for his news, I really didn't miss the morning school rush during the holidays.

Sarah No I am not much of a bargainer, are you paying cash? If so maybe the way to ask is to say if I buy the heater and the chair how much can you do them both for cash? If it still seems a little pricey say I'll have to check with hubby start to walk out, if they don't come down again then you need to decide if you can walk back in and say you rang him and he said ok or make a slightly lower offer. That's my advice anyways.

Sharon a dentist with time to spare - my god that is amazing. I hate being late too but it peeves me when I'm on time for the dentist or doctor and they are always 15 plus minutes behind - maybe because they had to squeeze in that walk in - which I have been guilty of being with the doctor so I guess it is only a little peeved.

I usually plan to be somewhere half an hour early so that I allow for the wrangling. I really hate that when you are all ready to walk out the door and they poo, especially if it requires a complete change because it leaked. I've been out and she has done two leakers in a row and had to come home because I only had one change of clothes

Yesterday and today have been bad for us- can't seem to put DD down for more than 5 minutes at a time before she is screaming and I don't know what she wants/needs. I wanted to get so much done today without DS at my feet and I've done nothing. Maybe I should have a sleep with her when she does sleep.

Going to try to do the floors as she is sleeping now. Typing must have lulled her off.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast