Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born August 2005

Melody Guest

Sleep school was great. Basic principles….”if you PLAY you can STAY” meaning if baby gets out of bed & is alert, responsive, calm & able to play on his own he has had enough sleep & can stay up heading toward the next feed. “If you CRY it’s GOODBYE” so barring the fact that baby has a dirty nappy, is due for a feed or close to a hunger time frame, or has been ‘playing’ on the same thing for too long & has grown bored (short attention span) any sign of grizzling (tired signs) baby must be put back to bed & given the opportunity to sleep.

Not to be afraid of putting baby back to bed even if he has only been up for 30 minutes. (as long as there is no feeding due, soiled nappy etc) & that sleeping is like catching a bus. Baby works on 45min sleep ‘cycles’ & the reason he cries is because he may not have had the opportunity to ‘catch’ the last sleep cycle so he will cry until the next one comes around…. Much like if you miss the bus you have to stand at the bus stop & wait for the next one to arrive, and then jump on. Sleep cycles don’t start when you lay a baby down; they are an inbuilt rhythm specific to the baby.

Similar to the EASY strategy, baby *should* wake up, have assisted, stimulating play with mummy, feed, then play alone until ‘tired signs’ begin to show & then be put back into bed. The amount of sleep a baby has during the day does not effect night-time sleep (at Hunters age) because the sleep day/night patterns are different.

Overall the women were lovely…. I spoke to a councellor about odd feelings that I get sometimes regarding Hunter & mother-hood in general & I left feeling happy that I am completely normal, if somewhat stressed & pressured, & everything is fine. Hunter weighs 7.6k now so he is thriving & I have some new strategies to work with….. I didn’t go expecting miracles & there were none performed but I feel refreshed & renewed.

Soph "The Baby Whisperer" sounds great.... I will have to look for a copy of that.

Louise good luck on your first solo car trip.... I am such a nervous driver! You are a bit of a Guru tackling that on your own I hope that icky throat goes away soon.

Jo Sammy is just such a cutie!

Kirsty I would get too worried.... as soon as Gemma establishes a rythm she will change it.... whatever slightly 'odd/bad' thing is going on it will have changed next week snacking, sleeping etc. Just to keep you on your toes \/

Mel - Wow that sleep school sounds fantastic. Glad you found it worthwhile.

Shannon - Yeap I had heard that re reflux babies too. Unfortunately my bub just isn't keen on eating full stop!

Well poor Lucie was very constipated. She loves the sugar water though - wow I wish she liked formula that much and then she would be so porky! I am not joking though and sorry if this is TMI, but I would have cried doing that pooh!

Maria woke at 3.30am this morning and I think she was trying to do a poo but it still hasn't arrived (TMI?), what is the sugar water? She is breast feed only. DH and I sended up putting her in bed with us and attaching her to the boob. We must have got some sleep because we didn't get out of bed until 8.30am. (DH late for work but how can you compare work with extra cuddles from baby, he woke to her patting his face). Hopefully she will sleep today for more than 30 minutes at a time.

I think Maria might be a bit of a snacker as well because I am lucky to get her to have 3 hours between feeds during the day, usually 2 hours only.

Louise - I'm not sure but I think it's rare for breast fed babies to get constipated. Sugar water is just brown sugar dissolved in cooled boiled water (I do about 1/2tsp to 50ml of water, but I think it's usually 30mls). It just helps to loosen things up a bit - and believe me Lucie needs that at the moment!

Helllooooooooo

Mel that sleep school sounds fantastic. So glad you found it helpful. Support like that can be such a god send. Sounds like Hunter is thriving hon..you are doing an amazing job

Awww Soph...poor little Lucie. I hope she doesnt have another one of those poos the poor darling. Sammy has explosions...he gets this intent look on his face and then you can hear the rumblings and whoosh its out..half the time all up his back too..which is lovely when im out Glad though that the sugar and water help your little darling.

Thats a great sleep Louise. Its funny how well bubbies can sometimes sleep when they are in bed with you. Like Soph has already said i havent heard of breast fed babies getting constipated...so maybe its still coming and will be a big one!

Well weve already been for a long walk this morning and its only 10 so im feeling organised...lol. Little boy woke 4 yes i said 4 times last night..little monkey so hes feeling pretty tired this morning. I think he must be going through a growth spurt. Its my neices 3rd birthday today so we are having a little party for her after school. Well gonna go and do some washing so will be on later

Jo

Finally she has had her dirty nappy and it was an explosion as well 8-[ , and hopefully I am not tempting fate, but she is asleep again [-o< .

Who else hates it when you put them in their cots and they cry before they fall asleep. I just want to keep picking her up, but I don't most of the time.

Jo - have fun at the party. Hopefully your little one will wake less often tonight.

Yay for pooh Louise!

Jo -Another growth spurt???? Go Sammy!

Well Miss Muffett is tired and grumpy and refuses to nap for longer than 5 mins.....hang on....she's asleep in her bouncer \/

She had a power spew this am in front of her godmother-to-be. I was out walking and luckily had a spare outfit in the bottom of the pram because we were on our way to get a letter for her christening from the priest (she is being christened in Geelong). Gotta love power spews. I reckon it was because she had all that pooh built up!

Yaay for little Maria...ya gotta love those explosions!!!

Bummer about the power spew Soph...i guess its gotta come out somewhere!

My little boy has been in his swing, had mat time, had tummy time on the ball, weve been singing and cuddling and now hes starting to get tired again. Its a hard life for the little darlings isnt it.

Jo

my sore throat has gone (antibiotics) and I am feeling human again.

Maria had another good sleep this afternoon and was down again at 8pm.

I am looking at getting Maria a baby rocker that I can also feed her in when she goes onto solids. Does anyone else have such rockers or recommend theirs.

Soph - got to love them, Maria's last one was all over my MIL.

Jo - Whats tummy time on the ball, I just use the mat at the moment. Maria has just started to like her mat and the toys above her more. She also enjoyed the kids sites, ABC, wiggles etc on the internet.

Yay Louise that your sore throat has gone. I have a rocker/bouncer thing - is that what you mean? I'm planning on getting a high chair to use for solids, but am not really sure yet. When are you planning on starting solids?

Jo - Sounds like Sammy had a great day yesterday - so much fun!

Well Miss Muffet has had a full bottle this morning (170ml) and is now happy. Fingers crossed it stays down!

Had a minor melt down last night - she was really down on a feed and I was just feeling a bit overwhelmed with everything going on at the moment. DH is a teacher and finishes next Friday so at the moment it's very busy with dinners, reports, drinks, meetings etc and we are also heading to Vic/Tas early December for a month and then moving to Lismore about a week or so after we get back. Aaagggggggggggh! Just gotta take one day at a time I guess!

Oh and I just realised - Lucie is 3 months old today!

Kirsty77 Guest

Awww Soph sweetie.....big hugs...your right take it one dat at a time.You have sooo much happening!Happy 3 month birthday to Lucie!!Gemma is 10 weeks today!!Geez its gone so quick.Before we know it they'll be crawling!Yikes!Knowing my luck because Gemma is so active she'll be up and running!Gemma actually slept 8 hours again last night.Wow I think she might actually be sleeping through from now on.....should I have said(typed)that outloud.I've probably jixed myself!lol

That's great with the sleep Kirsty and I betcha that Gemma is crawling in no time at all. She is soooooo active! I was thinking of you this morning actually - I went in at 5.30am to check on Lucie and she was in EXACTLY the same position as I put her down after her 10.30 feed. Poor thing was so exhausted last night. She hadn't even kicked off her blanket!

Kirsty77 Guest

Soph I'd love to come in and check on Gemma and find her in the same spot!I'm terrified she'll get caught in the bars of the cot!Last night she was constantly kicking off her blankets!I had to keep going in a covering her.In the end I gave up and thought she'd wake if she was cold.And she never woke!She slept uncovered for like 3.5 hours!She has even started to wriggle her way out of the anti roll cushion.I find it in the same spot but shes half way up the cot with her legs in the air kicking and talking!

Hello ladies

Hi Louise..so glad that you are feelng better. Its horrible feeling sick while having to care and nurture for a little human. Sammy has a rocker and a swing rocker. Its a fisher price smart stages 3 in 1 rocker swing. I will get him a high chair though when i put him on solids just to keep him up and eating with all of us.

Soph..thanks. The kids all had a ball swimming in my mums pool til 8 at night..the monkeys!!! Yaay for Lucie drinking 170 ml..what a little piggy!!! Sorry you had a melt down last night. Its easy when you are tired and anxious for things to get on top of you...its ok honey..happens to all of us. On a positive note you must be so excited that your DH is on hols soon..yaay..wow i envy you..im hanging out for Darrens 2 weeks after new years! Happy 3 months LUCIE!!!

Kirsty..wow...the weeks go so quickly dont they..especially at this time of year when its all rush rush. I hope you havent jinxed yourself. Maybe we should just whisper about sleeping in case she hears! Though i should talk loudly cos Sammy was up again alot last night...he much prefers sleeping with me than in his cot ..lol.

Well we had a busy day today and my darling boy was so lovely. He smiled and talked to everyone everywhere we went. I got my best friend to tag along with me today to wheel a trolley for me so that i could throw pressies in it while i pushed Sammy in the pram. Its amazing really how much you can spend in one day and its really only just scratching the surface! The girls are all getting dressed up right now for the disco tonight which Darren is djing at their school...so its a busy hive of activity at the moment.

Well better go and assist

Jo

Ellibam Guest

hi girls thought i would pop in and say hi!!
    i miss my august belly buddies!
    Mel sorry to hear things have been tough for you!! but its obviously getting better your on here a bit more!! good sign

OMG storm your already pg again!! was it a oops or planned(iykwim)

jo, sammy is getting so big 7.2kg wow. Makon has not yet put on a kilo from birth he is 10.5 weeks old. i think he just is a slow content baby (15 days late, not putting on much wiehgt) but he is sooooo bright and happy and wonderful

Not sure who said that b/f babies cant get constipated. but they can go any where up to 10 days with out a poo. but no one wants to be around when that happens.

Any way he his getting stroppy
    catch ya round

A new milestone today, Maria has doubled her birth weight and is 4kg. Thus she can fit into baby newborn clothing now.

I intend to start her on solids at 6months.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hello ladies

Well my poor little darling has conjuctivitis in one eye!I took her to the pharmacy and bought eye drops for it and now shes fast asleep.I also weighed her while I was there and she now weighs 5.8kg and has put on 500gm in 2 weeks!!!And grown 3cm!!WOW!I'm such a happy mummy today! \/

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast