Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2006

bruky Guest

Allo lovelies

Nadine they are little devils arent they...lol My midwife told me the same thing about expressing first...she said that because our nipples are dry in between feeds thats why they hurt on initial attachment but my bad boob hurt the whole way through

I didnt have any luck at all expressing and have heard its not always easy...something about being in the right frame of mind??

I hope it works out again for you again after your poor bbs are healed sweet.

Somtimes I look at Katie and think maybe give it another go?? Does anyone know if there is a time limit on taking it up again?

Hi Kas...welcome to Feb O I only joined these lovely gals a few weeks before I had my DD and they have all been so welcoming...cant wait to get to know you too Oh and my angel was born the day before Liam...its nice to have mummies with babies close in age to chat too...the closest baby in age in 'my real world' is 4 months older

Dummies...the midwives hate em dont they....lol Katie has one too now...I tried her on the dummy when she was feeding endlessly off me...she pretty much sleeps with it now and then spits it at some stage. I have the most trouble settling her at bed time but the rest of the night she is going well...sleeping for 4 hours which is great...daytime its pretty much every 3 hours like clockwork

Tomorrow is my discharge from the Midwife program...hopefully Katie has put on weight...she was 3890g born and 3 days ago was 3800g so nearly back to birth weight...being on the bottle since might help beef her back up a bit

mbear i hear ya darl about the 2 littlies...Jordan is sooo interested in Katie and its hard to know where to get him to stop...if i stop him from touching her he might get a bit put out and I dont want that...i see jealousy already but its much better that I am not sitting and feeding for hours (in his eyes no time for him)...Now I have plenty of Jordi time

Hi apple - The best method I have found for Katie so far is to swaddle her up nice and tight after a feed (clean nappy no wind etc etc) give her the dummy (sometimes I have to hold it in a bit for her too or she just loses it) and slowly pat her on the back either on your shoulder or in bed...I am trying to do it more in bed more often so she doesnt get reliant on me cuddling her to sleep every night (I am not sure if they even develop habits at this age either so not sure if it makes any difference...does that make sense?)...so far it works but have to repeat it a bit at the horror hour...lol

Hope everyone else is doing well and catch up with you all real soon

Hello my lovelies!!

Allegra sends her love to all her friends! I cant believe she will be 6 weeks old this Sunday!

Things are going pretty well for us. She sleeps pretty well during the day and night so I cant complain. I guess she is a bit older than the Feb bubs but these are my tips (and I am by no means an expert, this is what I have found works for us and has us in a pretty good routine)

1. I stopped looking at the clock. I was timing and noting down everything at feeds. As soon as I stopped it became less stressful and feeding went much better.

2. Allegra had attachment issues but I spoke to our early childhood centre and they sent me for a few hours to Dalwood (kind of like tresillian I guess) where I had a one on one observation class with a nurse. They sorted out all my issues and I have not once had sore nipples - thats how much they helped me! My advise is to avoid continual use of nipples shields as they diminished my milk supple in three days! Ask your ECHC for advise.

3. Settling - from the first day Allegra was home who have pretty much done the same routine. Feed, nappy change, feed, burp, swaddle, pat on bum whilst having a little rock and into the bassinet. I try and get her down in about 5 minutes. If she cries, I ignore her for at least 5 minutes and she usually settles herself. In the 5ish weeks we have been home, we have had 2 unsettled nights.

Allegra wont take dummy but thankfully she doesnt scream much so at this stage I am not missing its potential help.

I guess these things work for us. Some people dont believe in self settling but its something that I like to use and Allegra doesnt cry that much at all when I put her down now, only if she has wind or something.

Bruky - expressing is hit and miss isnt it! Sometimes I get a heap of milk and other times its like my pump is broken or something. They say looking at a pic of bubs helps!

Chat with you all soon. I'm so tired today :sleeping: had a funeral yesterday and it really drained me.

Hi Girls!

Im such a dope i put our details in but haven't got onto to post yet!

Finally i realised...im glad everyone is going well.

Aiden is 4 weeks on Friday, where has the time gone! he's very happy being bottle fed and put on 500gms in 8 days, he loves his food. he's feeding about every 3 hours at the moment and we get 1 5 hour break a night...not too bad. hopefully he will sleep through from about 6 weeks [-o<

Dummies - had a similar issue with aiden wanting to suck all the time...i hate dummies but brought one, we used is on and off for a couple of days and he's sucking settled down so i chucked it in the bin.

everybodies pics are beautiful...and now that everyone else has had bubs i will get my bum into gear and email pics of aiden...nadine and wilson i promise to email you 2morow..sorry but i don't have anyone else's email address

take care

Forum Name: Wishful
    State: NSW
    Baby's DOB: 19 Feb 2006
    Baby's Stats: Weight 6'12" - Length 49.5 - Head Circ -
    Gender of Baby: Girl
    Baby's Name: Brianna Leigh
    Baby's Website:
    Health Concerns:
    Notes:

Hi Everyone,

I'm back online! Congratualions to all the ladies that have become mums since my last post.

As you can see from above my little bundle of joy - Brianna Leigh was born on 19 February after a long and drawn out labour. I actually ended up in hospital a few days before she was born with a bad UTI (had gone in to my kidneys) and was very painful. I was admitted on the Friday and put on antibiotics and pethadine for the pain (excruciating) and then my waters broke naturally on the Saturday night at midnight and then Brianna was born at 3pm on the Sunday afternoon via vontuse and episiotomy. I had the works!

Brianna is absolutely adorable! we had a bit of trouble with the feeding at first as she only has a very small mouth but with some assistance from the LC at the hospital we are starting to get there. She also gets really cranky and anxious when it comes to feed times which makes attachment difficult. I am going to have a bit more of a chat with the nurse about it tomorrow. She might suggest what some of you have suggested and express some before feeds as it is like there is that much milk she can just lick and suck without having to attach.

The community nurse is coming tomorrow so I will be interested to see if she is putting on weight. Like most of you Brianna also has a bit of trouble settling at night and tends to just want to stay awake sometimes. She has good nights and bad. Hopefully with time it will sort itself out.

I better go as DH is wanting to get on here to check his emails as well.

Talk to you all again soon.

Hi everyone!

Well, i finally made it... And correct me if im wrong, but was i that last feb mumma to have bubs?

I was admitted into the hospital Thursday morning, and after 3 days of induction, and on/off pretty much painless contractions, labour started at about 7pm and Ben was born at 10.47pm Saturday night. It all happened so fast! My contractions were coming one after the other with pretty much no break in between... Turned out i went from 3cms to 7cms in one hour... and then I needed to push all of a sudden. The midwife didnt believe me!! Anyway, to cut a long story short.... No drugs (i asked for an epi, but there was no time!!), small internal tear (but wasnt bad) and the doctor and midwife commented "He is coming like he is your third baby!". Anyway, I will write up the whole story when im not so tired!

I came home Tuesday morning, and have been a walking zombi ever since! Ben is just beautiful! The first day he was a real cranky bum, and breast feeding is sooooooooooo painful. Its getting better though. I have the midwife visiting everyday for a bit of help. I think Ben is just too strong.

Well, i will write more when i have more time... Goodness i feel so rushed!!

Katie- WELCOME \/ Ben is so adorable. He looks so cute all rugged up

Feeding- We are still not feeding from the breast. I am still expressing around 125-130ml every 3.5-4hrs and Kayla has 100ml per feed. We bought an electric Avent pump last night, so it is much quicker and more efficient then the hand held pump. Last night we had to give her formula because after only 1.5hrs she wanted another feed, and she had 100ml of BM the feed before. The formula worked well and she slept 4.5hrs in between feeds.

Not sure if my milk deteriorates towards the evening????? She seems to have no problems lasting during the day on BM. It's all a mystery. I might have to call a lactation consultant to come over and help sort it out. I will also attempt breast feeding again in a couple of days time. Hoping she will latch on and stay on.

Wilson Guest

Yay Katie good to see you here, ben is just gorgeous!! and Wishful wow your UTI sounds awful!!

Well we went to a settling class yesterday at the early childhood center as the lack of settling was getting really hard and i would be in tears at night while he was crying but it was great we learnt a lot, have been missing a few signs i think where we thought he had wind etc and would pick him up and stimulate him where he was really actually tired and just needed to be wrapped up tight and put to bed. Also discovered he has been using me more as a dummy as well i thought he needed to be on the breast for at least 20 - 30 minutes but he was always falling asleep so she said to just pull him off he isn't sucking for a reason other than to suck. But last night he slept from 10:30ish to 5:40am i woke at 2am with full and leaking boobs and didn't really sleep that well cos i had to keep checking he was ok 8-[ but he was fine prob just one of those days though i'm not expecting it regularly yet but it was a nice change anyway.

Today he hasn't been very hungry he fed this morning at 6am, then 10ish and then 3ish other than that he has been sleeping, i guess he will be crying though if he was hungry wouldn't he??

How long are others bubs actually feeding for?? Harrison feeds for anywhere from 10-25 usually, i'm only doing one boob feeds at the moment as tresillian recommended it...

I tried expressing as well just as an option to give me a break but i didn't really get much out yet, will give it another go soon when i am feeling relaxed etc.

Anyways glad everyone is well

Katie - you sound similar to me - I dilated from 3 cm to 9cm in 1.5hrs, I was saying "I need to poo and I need to push" and they were allt elling me to just keep workign through the contractions... I was on all fours grunting and pushing, I didnt care and couldnt not! I had asked for the epi too, but it was also too late!
    Well done girl, it's good to see you and your little man back here. Our babies are one day apart.

The first few days at home are tough eh - getting used to night time life now!

Our MCHN came today, and made me feel like all is going ok, which is nice.
    Bonnie is already over her birth weight, she ws 8lb8oz, and is now 8lb12oz! What a gutz!

Wilson, how good that your little man slept for so long, I'd love that, even just one night!
    I am feeding on one side, then the other. She probably takes only about 15 mns on the first and 10 on the second. The MCHN said that's fine, as long as she's spending most of the time doing some good sucking and swallowing.

I find settling Bonnie is the biggest challenge - I always though feeding would be. Day time is fine, she's out like a light, but night time she doesnt go straight to sleep and can be up for ages.

The MCHN suggested having her in our bed through the really bad times... is anyone doing this? I am a bit scared to try!

Nadine - the electric pump must be a godsend... I hope things get better for you

Hope all are well - I enjoy coming in and readin gwhat everyone is up to and where you are at, even if we dont have time for personals!

Ahh, remember the days (only a week or so ago) where we could caht and chat whenever we wanted!? But then we didnt have our bubbas then!

em

Nadine - i was told when i was BF #1 DD your milk does deterioate towards end of day - youve been on your feet all day, your exhausted by 5pm, its been a long day, the milk that you fed bubs with at breakfast is better than milk at 6pm. I dunno if its true, but it kinda makes sense. I was often on the phone to breastfeeding assoc with my first daughter, i found them invaluable.
    Sophie is feeding every 1.5-2hrs. Usually from one breast for about 10-15 mins. I really want to offer her the two, so i find if i change her nappy and sit back down and offer her boob #2 she will suck - but only for 5 mins or so. I dont mind feeding her that often. She's still trying to find her way. At night she goes 4 hrs b/w feeds, so im happy, and she's 4.2kg already, so pilling on the weight.

Apple - laughing at the urge to POO !! I actually said to DH as he was warming up the car "i have to go to the toilet to poo" - he kind of looked at me like 'oh. Okay" . I remember walking to the toilet and thinking "my god, i dont want to poo, i want to push this baby out !!!!". I was fully dilated when i got to the emergency ward too.

Community nurse said yesterday to only wrap them when time to sleep.Like Wilson, i thought Sophie had wind/tummy probs, but seems she just wanted to go to sleep, and here i am jingling her around. Only wrap when time for bed. Any other time (feeding, wake time) leave them unwrapped. I tried it today and she defn more settled.

Kaydee84 - YAY on having Ben !!! I think Sorka had her bubs late too - you both maybe running for that finishing line !!!

Talk soon........

Wilson Guest

Well we have had 4 nights in a row after 12:30 where Harry sleeps till 5:30 - 6am its amazing, makes the biggest difference to me, i'm not bawling every night now just every second night lol
    he is still a struggle to settle once he wakes around the 7pm he just does not want to go down but we have been trying the last few nights once he gets too hysterical for the settling things and nothing else works to give him a little bit of expressed breast milk although last night was 25ml of formula (he didn't want anymore) and he dropped off immediately.

I'm finding it really hard to express much with the avent manual, not sure if i'm doing it wrong or what but i only get 40-50ml from a boob and it takes a while but we'll get there...

Lol at the need to poo thing, i had the same thing, i had hubby go ask for a bedpan and she came in and did an internal and said ok your ready to push...really must finish my birth story but don't have as much time these days, we are going to ALdi later apparently they have a lot of cheap baby things so thought we would have a look.

Yesterday we went and got those foot and hand casts done, it was a present from my parents, will be so cute when we get it back.

Good to see everyone is doing ok, hope all your beautiful bubs are doing well!!

Ok Wilson - please tell me your secret to getting him to sleep through so well?

Our little Bonnie has been really unsettled from midnight until 6am since she was born, and they are about the same age, so interested to hear what you are doing.
    It's hard to work out what times to feed her to get her through the night, bath her, etc.

Last nigth she woke 2 hrly for feeds :sleeping: We cant cope with that long term! And she struggles to settle at night.

We have introduced 'play' time during the day at two feeds where she is nudey on the floor and she likes that... hopfully she will start to understand day form night.

I am so jealous Wilson!!

bruky Guest

hi everyone

We are going ok now that Katie is on the bottle...i certainly feel more human. I am actually really jealous of you gals that can breastfeed I really miss it already but I really do need to accept it and move on.

I was definately headed for Post Natal Depression if I hadnt made the decision to bottlefeed, i was seriously a blubbering mess for days...I now feel totally normal (a little stressed with Master 2 at times cause he loves his sister sooo much) and human again

Katie is so much more settled and is sleeping reasonably well...we seem to have a bad period from the morning feed till lunchtime where she wont sleep in between....BUT like Wilson I have a night sleeper...I am getting 6 solid hours sleep now and its just bliss...its really only one night time feed....sometimes I find myself asleep and keep waking up with a start but so far still sitting up...lol

I would rather her be unsettled during the day than at night O

Feeds are down to 3 hourly now during the day so cant complain...thats better than 5 hours straight feeding anyday [-o<

She has been a little consitpated since starting formula so went out and bought Coloxyl drops which are helping

Apple we do the no nappy thing too and Katie loves it!!! It apparently uses up a fair amount of energy too?? Thats what my midwife told me anyway so I say go Katie go...lol

I hope all bubbies are being lil angels for you all and you guys are getting enough sleep...I think thats the worst part of the first few months (mind you DS didnt sleep through the night till 15 months...grrrr and i was still working fulltime back then...I dont know how I got through that but you just do)

Take care everyone
    xx kyles

Hi all,
    I think we are getting into a bit of a routine now also. The last three nights Liam has gone about 6 hrs between feeds which is good cause i love my sleep- who doesn't?!?!. However he is making up for it during the day by bringing his feeds back to no more than 3.5 hrs where as before he was sometimes up to 4.5 or even 5hrs. I still have one boob that is sore when feeding but is getting better. I would resort to feeding just from one side if i could until it healed but i just can't seem to express enough without it constantly leaking if he doesn't feed IYKWIM. I may have a chat with the LC on Tuesday when i take Liam for another check up at the health centre.

I hadn't thought about nudy/no nappy time as Liam is usually not happy unless he has a nappy and is dressed. I might try it this afternoon before his bath.

Liam also has a dummy (dodda) now as he was constantly sucking on his fingers for comfort after a feed...and he wasn't hungry as for a few days i would put him back on but after a few sucks he would stop. i guess it is more of a comfort thing for him to be sucking.

Bruky - I am glad you are feeling more human now that katie is on the bottle. As hard as it was to make your decision it sounds as though emotionally for you it was the right choice to make, and it is ok for you to miss it and i am sure you are both alot more relaxed now. Don't you just love the fact that new big brothers are soooooo affectionate! I have a 4 year old who is the same. I found the coloxyl drops took a few days to kick in with DS#1 after he changed over to formula so hopefully she should start to have its full effect soon.

Wilson - I too have found expressing with the pump manually i am not getting as much as if i hand express. It was the same with my first son, it took a few weeks in order to get up a good supply via the expressor but when it did it came on fast.

Apple - i havve put Liam in with us twice when he just wouldn't settle and he was off to sleep in no time. It scares me especially when i doze off and wake up a few hours later with him still laying on my arm. I have now put one of my shirts that i have worn in his snuuggle bed under his head as i figured it was just my smell he was after for comfort.

Hi to everyone else, need to go and get dinner organised whilst DS#1 is occupied and DS#2 is asleep, my DH's eldest bro is coming over tonight to meet Liam as he has been away with work until now. Hmmm and i should probably have a quick tidy up of the house too.

Hi ladies,

I am jealous of you ladies that have good sleeping babies. Brianna has been hard work lately. Just not getting in to a routine and not sleeping well during the day. The last few afternoons I have been breastfeeding continuously which was wearing me out. I have finally relented and given her a dummy (just then) I am hoping that might help her to settle for sleep. She must have just been comfort sucking on me. I was scared to introduce a dummy because the LC & midwives were all not in favour of them and was worried that introducing one would affect her breast feeding. But after reading that most of you are using one and it isn't affecting your feeding I feel a bit more confident in using one. We are just going to use it when she is really unsettled and wanting to suck. Fingers crossed it works.

I am also envious of those of you that are getting out and about. We have tried a couple of times and both have been diasters with both bub and mum in tears. She just doesn't like the pram. I have one of those neck supports in there and wrapped her up but she just doesn't settle. Does anyone have any advice? We are going to go for a walk around the neighbourhood for a bit of practice. I need to get confident about going out before DH goes back to work.

Wilson - I have been feeding from both sides at each feed mostly. If she falls asleep after one side I just let her sleep. I remember the LC saying that you should at least offer both sides. Sometimes I even change her nappy between sides as she is usually more settled to do it then as when she wakes up she is hungry then and there. After the nappy change she is usually keen for the other side.

nic2006 Guest

Hello Feb mums,

This is my first post on Belly-belly - I look forward to chatting with you all as our little bundles grow up!

Forum Name: nic2006
    State: SA
    Baby's DOB: 25th Feb
    Baby's Stats: Weight - 2.55kg - Length 53 cm
    Gender of Baby: Boy
    Baby's Name: Isaac Robert John
    Baby's Website:
    Health Concerns:
    Notes: He was 12 due days overdue but decided to come by himself a few hours before a planned induction!

Welcome Nic and baby Isaac!!!

Well things seem to be going well for us... Allegra is 6 weeks old today!!!!

Feeding is going very smoothly, she sucks so well now. Gosh I can remember the first weeks when I was so upset because feeding was not going well and I was at my wits end.

Sleeping and settling - I think I have been pretty lucky as Allegra has only had a few unsettled nights and I think most of those were caused by her having wind pain. We are using Infacol drops in warm boiled water and they seem to help. We also do baby massage on her tummy and back and do the bicycle movement with her legs and she farts it all out

Everyone keeps telling me that bottle fed babies sleep better at night is this true? I'm happy breastfeeding but just out of interest.

OK - Pizza just arrived. YUM

I'm officially on my diet tomorrow.. have a few more kg's to lose still

Hi Nic and welcome. Congratulations on the birth of Isaac \/

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast