Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2007

Hey everyone,

Just introducing myself.
    I'm Amy & have just had my little man, Bodhi, on the 26th, weighing in at a whopping 9.4lb......7days overdue, little bugga
    The labor went well. Ended up going drug free except a tiny bit of gas which did absolutly nothing for the pain~ just made me slightly dizzy. I must admit tho, if i had been offered the epi i probably would of had it. I'm quite pleased with myself that i didn't tho who knew i could actually handle that much pain!

Anyway, i look forward to getting to know u all.

xoxox

Michelle, you haven't failed. Liebling is still having formula too; DH wants me to do more formula in the day but so far I've resisted. Can you still give Bella one breastfeed a day, or try to - I find that Liebling finds it harder to latch when he's upset and that's partly what caused the problem when I came home from hospital.

Lil, I find the drinking the hardest part! Just being able to get from the sofa to the kitchen to get a pint of water is hard without Liebling crying! And I can't hold the glass and operate the tap one-handed... yet. I make DH get me water all the time in the evening.

Kylie, I don't know if I could do months of that! Wow, I'm impressed. DH has said bottle-only when Liebling gets teeth; I think we'll see how it goes, but he doesn't understand that I'm a woman, I can cope with pain!

Kirsten, you're lucky with your DH! Mine does the last evening feed at 10ish for Liebling with anything I've expressed and some formula, after that I can get about 5 hours sleep and that seems to work for me. He's going to attempt sleeping with us again this weekend so I hope Liebling sleeps for longer tonight... but then again, DH over-fed him last night (I said he was doing so at the time!) so most of the formula was thrown up again, which would explain why Liebling was a bit more awake last night. Liebling is cloth during the day and disposable at night, because DH likes to help with the night-time routine and I'm the only one who likes cloth.

Hi Amy and Bodhi, good to "meet" you. How long was your labour? I didn't like the gas and air either, made me feel so drunk that I didn't want to use it. But then, I gave birth in a very pro-drugs, pro-intervention hospital so I'm very pleased I managed as long as I did refusing the drugs... even my DH was pushing for me to take them!

As for me, Liebling seems to be a bit more settled now. My mother thinks it would make Liebling more settled if we went and stayed with her, leaving DH here... yeah right, as if! He's just been a bit fractious because I've been doing more around the house and my mum hasn't been playing with him all night, it's just me and DH now. And I'm not going to have DH not seeing his son for a week or so! He (Liebling, not DH) almost enjoyed his bath last night too, remembered about 2 minutes in that he doesn't like baths so started screaming, but at least they're still short baths now. He's so cute!

I ended up calling the health visitor yesterday because my mum was telling me I have been doing everything "wrong" (Liebling should have timed feeds, I shouldn't co-sleep even for five minutes, I'm not feeding my baby enough, he's not being burped properly...) but luckily she put my mind at rest. Especially about the burping, my mother was having us try to get the wind up for half an hour at a time, no wonder we have all been so tired! Anyway, not going to whinge about it, we're doing well and are happy and that's the important thing. Can't wait to find out how much Liebling has grown on Monday, he looks and feels so much bigger.

Hmm, wonder if him sending my arm to sleep is also the most dangerous thing in the world, or if my whole body has to be asleep?

Ryn - Don't pay too much attention to your mum hun,,, it sounds like you are doing brilliantly without her being a control freak over all Leiblings care. As for having trouble drinking,,, i have a few 600ml water bottles filles waiting in my fridge,, and as soon as Griffen wakes, i change him, put him over my shoulder,,, grab a drink for me and head to my feeding chair where i have my boomerang pillow waiting. It is the only way i can cope
    as i get a nasty case of the terrible dry mouth as soon as my milk lets down.

Amy - I have been awaiting your announcement hun,,,, considering you had an induction scheduled for today lol,,,,, very glad little Bodhi didnt want to wait that long lol He was born on my birthday!!

Hi guys, sorry to crash your thread! Congrats to all of you Feb new mums!

Michelle - you have not failed. You breastfed your baby for two weeks and you've done really well. Breastfeed is bloody hard sometimes and we don't the best we can with what we have

Ryn, I think all grandmothers think they know whats best!

Hi Mummas & Bubbas

Well i finally found my way here

I noticed a few familiar faces but i will do a quick intro of myself for all the people from the other half of the Feb thread.....

Im Char & i had a very handsome little boy BLAKE WILLIAM on february 10 @ 9.25am. He was exactly 7 pound & 48cm long. I had Gestational Diabetes so he was soooo much smaller than i expected, he is just adorable.

I am feeling like a BIG failure at the moment because it seems that im not going to be able to breastfeed Blake, but i really had my heart set on it, not to mention all the "BREAST IS BEST" pressure from everyone

Blake was 2 weeks early and had a small infection in his bowel a couple of days after he was born, so he had to be fed by a drip for 5 days. I had been asking the midwives if i should be expressing but they said "ohh no just wait, you will respond better to him than a pump" so i waited, then they decided on the 5th day that i should be expressing!! So i was off to a slow start anyway, but then he wasnt putting on weight quick enough so he was formula fed so we could closely monitor how much he was feeding AND...... i got pre eclampsia nearly a week after i had him & was put back in hospital for 4 days & put on meds for my blood pressure. So now my milk is almost non existent, i think last time i expressed i got about 40ml. i just feel like crying, i feel like such a FAILURE and that i should be trying harder Im sure i will get over it eventually. Im sure im not the only one with a newborn thats had to go pretty much straight onto formula

Sorry about the long sob story !!

Looking forward to catching up with those of you i already know & looking forward to getting to know those that i dont

Hope you're all enjoying your beautiful bubs

Love Char

Ryn- I think i started having contractions at like 1am monday morning, so that part was very long. But from the time i got to hospital~4pm~ to the time Bodhi was born~6:31pm~ was pretty fast.
    My mother was here for about a week, she only left on thurs. Always have a ton of advice don't they lol

LiL- i am so happy i didn't have to be induced!
    Ohhh & HAPPY B'DAY FOR MONDAY!!

Hey Char
    Jemima would have been Blake i think if she was a boy...... the way i figure it with the breast feeding is that the ONLY way you would be a failure would be to keep trying when Blake needed formula just to please 'everyone else' a bit like the way i feel having drugs and ended up with c-section complete failure but the other choice was to jeopardise Jem's future!

we went to the clinic yesterday and they actually said she was a perfect specimen! kinda needed to hear it to reassure myself we were doing stuff right... she has put on 418grams since birth weight 300 and something since discharge so i am very lucky in the milking department. All her other bits were fab as well, colouring, reflexes, eyesight etc so that is so so good.

Bit weird at the moment coz she has gotten a little more vocal, some of our friends that had baby on same day boast that they know their little boys cries already but we have only had 2 days of some unsettleish times she didnt cry at all the first 10 days or so, we were blessed there!

it is funny feeding her is when i get to post these days! i will do personals next feed maybe!

ps - michelle you shouldnt be feeling like failure either, it is not like you didnt try!
    Last edited by smylie; March 3rd, 2007 at 01:29 PM.

Firstbump Guest

Hi Guys,

I have posted in here once, but should introduce myself properly, for those who don't already know me.
    My name is Nat, we had a baby boy " Beau " on February 16. Beau weighed in at 10 pound, 55 cm long and a HC of 37.5. Unfortunatley, despite eveyones best efforts including a vacume, Beau was born by emergency C section.

We are smitten with him, although have had a heap of trouble trying to settle him. We are now beginning to get some longer sleep periods of a night which I am so happy for.

Sleep deprivation really is a form of torture. Its amazing how revitilised you feel after even an hour.

Beau is sleeping now, so I am thankfully not having to master the single handed typing. How is everyone coping with their bubs, especially the new parents ?
    I have had plenty of ups and downs, mainly sleep related i think. DH is wonderfully supportive and helpful and has one more week off work. (dreading him going back already)

Do you guys have extra support, eg mums, friends staying with you ?

I look forward to getting to know you all and sharing this magical experience.

Hi everyone. Bella's asleep at the moment so I thought I'd try my hand at two-handed typing for once!

I'd just like to thank everyone for their support. I'm still beating myself up a bit about the breastfeeding thing, but I'm sure I'll eventually "forgive" myself for not trying harder.

To top it all off, I think I've finally got the baby blues - a couple of weeks late, but they sure seem to be here. I had a cry earlier and when DH asked what was wrong, I had to tell him I had no idea! Wierd. I hate not having control over my emotions, so hope this will pass soon.

Bella is starting to stir, so will have to do personals next time. Have a great weekend everyone.

Hello ladies ive found my way here finally my name is kath i had bubs 4 on feb 20 Ella Elise was 8lbs 6oz she has the most amazing full head of black hair im totally smitten with her.
    Ella has been feeding 3.5 - 4hrs thru the day but at night its been 2 hrly i cant figure it out myself ive been trying my best to b/f latching on no probs bubs i have been replacing 1 feed a day with formula i dont think i have enough in me for a full feed so i try to feed the formula at night. She gets alot of wind and my god i havnt seen somthing pooh so much alot of farting too lol lol .
    i hope i can join in with you guys some name a familiar to me through belly buddies it will nice to catch up
    kittykat

Hi girlies and hi to Char and Kittykat, good to "meet" you both!

Yay, another hairy baby - both Liebling and Jemima are hairy ones. Liebling looks so grown up with all his hair, it's sad to think he no longer looks like my "baby", but he's soooo big now. I swear he's grown at least an inch this week.

Char, you're not a failure. I was made to feel like that in hospital - day 2, my milk hadn't come in (of course!) but the evil midwife made me feel like I was killing my lad, even saying if I didn't give him formula they'd take him away and do it anyway. So that started us on the formula route, then he has a slight tongue-tie (so tiny I wouldn't have noticed it if not told, bad mummy me, he can stick his tongue out and everything) so I was told the BFing problems were all due to that... actually, Liebling had an infection and was soon refusing all food I didn't express and pipette down his throat (he's a feeding champion). Liebling ended up back in hospital (on day 6) on the special care baby unit, but thankfully everyone there was very pro-expressing, but he was still topped up on formula a lot. I've only just started to catch up to his demand needs and will look at dropping the bottle today. If the SCBU team weren't pro-expressing then I'd be having to formula feed now. It has taken a couple of weeks for me to stop needing to top him up quite so much anyway. Anyway, the point to this long bit is that the more you BF the more milk you get, so you can re-start BFing now if you want, and keep topping up until you have enough milk, and you really aren't a failure for giving the lad formula; you'd only be a failure as a mother if you had your heart so set on BFing him that it killed the lad. Well, that's what I had to tell myself as I couldn't stop crying for those first few bottles in SCBU and I usually make my DH do the bottles now.

Amy, 1am to 4pm sounds perfect for a first stage! Mine was 7.30am on Monday until about 10.30am on Tuesday... well, 10.30 to 1ish, as I started wanting to push at 10.30 and was given the go-ahead, but "officially" it was 1pm as otherwise the hospital team had me pushing for too long without seeking Obstetric advice! I really hope the next one will be easier.

Kel, yay for Jemima being perfect! I knew she would be, she was in the perfect babies thread! This will have to be the new perfect babies thread, so all the other Feb girls can join in with their perfect babies. I can only make out that it isn't Liebling crying when we're out because all the other babies at my coffee morning are sooo much quieter - including the four month old lad! When Liebling starts, he just goes for it. So I try not to let him start, of course. But he's great at when I can't settle him, just turning his face to my ear and yelling "hwaa, hwaa" straight down it... I think he wants me to cry too!

Wow, Nat, Beau was a big lad! Congratulations! Liebling lets me get just over five hours in the first stretch of the night now so I'm feeling fantastic in mornings, but once we've done the 5.30 feed I usually can't get back to sleep because that lasts until 7, or just after. DH had a week off, but his anxiety problems (and me being back in hospital) meant he didn't take longer off, but my mum stayed for a week after that. Must confess, I did appreciate the help, but I'm glad it's just the three of us now. I was getting most jealous of letting her have play-time with Liebling! Well, aside from at meal-times - but I'm getting used to eating and feeding at the same time.

Michelle, poor you! I (fingers crossed and touching wood) missed that, but then again I did all my sobbing over giving Liebling formula, so had no other tears for anything else.

What is new with me? Well, the heel pr!ck test didn't work on day 6, so they're going to do it this morning. I'm not too happy with another needle, but it's something we have to do. DH is being fabulous, keeps telling me what a wonderful mummy I am, but is still not ready to come back to bed all night with me, although we did have a nice cuddle this morning. Thankfully Liebling was quiet for about an hour before starting to snuffle about so we could have some grown-up time... I really miss that!

hey ryn
    if not too late get them to do liebling's heel pr!ck while you are feeding... i thought this was the most awful cruel idea in the world, rang my SIL, asked my paed and worried and cried about it the whole morning (it was done about day 4 i think) and then i talked to midwife who suggested it about my worries and she said she always did it that way and they didnt even notice it being done (i was worried about turning jemima against feeding... ie i take booby they poke needles in me) BUT i know i was also lucky that the blood flowed so quickly from her foot but it took less than a minute and she didnt even notice... in this case evil midwife was right.

after jem's morning feed we have her in bed with us... do you sleep with liebling all night? SIL does the same with hannah but her husband is overseas at the moment... we have the bassinette in our bedroom so that we can hear her but will get it further and further away and buy a baby monitor.... where is ur dh sleeping???

this wind thing is confusing.... do i try for wind after every feed???
    Last edited by smylie; March 3rd, 2007 at 08:48 PM.

I thought i was finished giving the formula top up after Griffens pre-bedtime nightly feed,, but yesterday he just would not have a descent sleep all day,, and i was feeding all afternoon long,, so by the time it came for that feeding at 12am in the morning,,, i gave both sides,, he was still protesting,, so had to give him 50ml formula too,, then had to lay down with him just so he would nodd off.
    My milk did not come in till day 8 mind you though,, and in hospital they did not want me giving formula,, so much so that by day 4 when all he did was scream out of hunger even after i had given him all the first milk i had,,, the paeds finally stepped in and told the midwives that he was starving to death and to give him some formula topups,,, as he has totally stopped weeing and pooing (damn midwives thought i was just being a neurotic mum) he lost way more then the 10% he was allowed through this, and was quite jaundiced,, but thank god we persisted with the BF's and now he has only had to have that one top up feed for the last 5 days.
    Good news though,, my woud has finally started to settle down a bit and does not leak too much at all now,,, hopefully in the next few days the holes will start closing up!!

I hate it how some ppl make u feel like a faliure if u don't BF. I gave up after about 3 months with Mya, it was just to painful. Heaps of ppl would give me kinda dirty looks when i told them i wasn't BFing. Its so hard for a mum to feel like that without other ppl making it harder. Luckily this time round i'm finding it a bit easier with Bodhi.

Nat- Congratulations on the birth of baby Beau he is a big boy!
    Ryn- Wow ur first stage was heaps longer than mine. I guess i have nothing to really whinge about compared to some other ppl's experiences lol. I also hope 4 u that ur next one will be easier. As 4 me i wont be doing it again, i have my boy & my girl & i think i'm pretty lucky

The heel ***** is just awful. Poor little Bodhi had his the day b4 yesterday & they couldn't get enough blood from him, he was just screaming~ i was almost in taers aswell

Hello everyone,
    It's me! Old ouchy nipples!
    I just can't seem to feed him without the ouchies! Bring on Friday and the clinic!!! Quinn is being a bit sooky today - DP has him at the moment - although he has a sore back from bouncing him on the ball for most of the day - today Quinn is the hungriest man in the world...do you all get days when they want to eat all day, the MCHN said he should be eating between -60-90 mls per feed - wrong - he has about 150 per feed and sometimes wants more! He's a hungry hungry hippo!

Re: heel***** test - Quinn didn't even notice his being done he had it on day 4.

There is sooo much pressure to breastfeed isn't there - but there is also that whole old school 70's view of feed them formula as well. I get the "advice" from my MIL that I should be giving him formula to make sure he learns how to use a bottle!!!!!!!!!! I would be happy if he never had to learn that - he drinks from a bottle all the time except one or two feeds a day because I am expressing all the time. I don't have a problme with supply but I am still being told to formula feed him by her! It's a gets a little frustrating - espeicailly when you are really tired!!! That's the worst time to get advice!

Re: tears - I bawled my eyes out the first time Quinn was fed from a bottle - I felt like such a failure (and really guilty) that I couldn't even feed my baby - even though it was my breastmilk I still bawled! Michelle, I had the irrational no reason crying thing at about 9 days after Quinn was born and it lasted about 4 days...no reason just random acts of bawling

Anyway better go try to settle this little man, so maybe I can have a lie down. Is anyone else queen of being topless - I spend most of the time with boobs akimbo! I have to make sure I have a top on when I leave the house

Good on you everyone! You're all doing really well!

I had forgotten about the chance of the added "pressure" of SIL having baby almost same age.......
    I do not have a job, my job is to look after Jemima. I have nothing else to do but whatever she wants me to do..... if she wants to be fed every hour most afternoons, then she gets fed every hour.... ESPECIALLY while she is only 2 weeks old.... OBVIOUSLY I am not going to feed her every hour until we go on to solids....
    My BIL came over the other day and I was feeding Jem, he went and did something and came back and I was feeding her again (this though was actually about a 2.5 hour morning gap) anyway he says "are you feeding AGAIN?" then goes on to tell me that SIL was told to try to make baby wait at least 2 hours between feeds......

so now I feel like I feed Jemima too often.... it's not like I rush her when she feeds she gulps it down, overflows and quite often falls asleep! I wake her and make sure she doesnt want anymore, burp her, change her nappy and offer her the other boob and she seems like she is done... and in the afternoons ESPECIALLY as I have been fitting a lot into our days and it is blimen hot she has been heaps thirsty....

my question - can you feed baby TOO much? it's not like it is "comfort" sucking either when she comes for more she is full on hungry and bobbin for it! grrrr

I will be telling BIL next time he says "SIL said...." that SIL's baby is different to Jemima and has different needs and there is no right and wrong... and stop calling my baby Gemma!! definately getting enough advice from everyone else that I dont need it from single 23 year old no children BIL!!!

not ready to think about a dummy yet, i dont have anything against dummies as i had one as a child but she is not sucking just for the fun of it..... and doesnt cry and cry and cry

I am lucky that I can BF but, luckily if I couldnt I am not feeling any pressure to BF, it is just cheap and no sterilising required.... it would be so much easier not to and I kinda think about it some afternoons, especially when people are around.

Kel, I wouldn't worry about feeding Jemima too much. I read somewhere that breast milk is a lot easier to digest and it's not uncommon for bub to want a feed 1.5 hours after the last feed. Also, when they're having growth spurts, it feels like they want to be fed every five minutes! Demand feeding is just that - feeding bub when they want to be fed. So don't you worry about what anyone else says or does - every baby is different.

You are sooo lucky you are able to BF (I'm still not happy with myself for not being able to BF, but bottle feeding does have some advantages, so I am trying to concentrate on those for now!) so continue to do as you're doing, I reckon!

As for me, well I think my blues have passed, thank god! I really didn't want another day like yesterday. All I wanted to do was cry, and Bella was awake from 8am to 6.30pm with only about 40 minutes sleep in total!!! I did not cope very well! Lucky for me (and her!) she then slept until 3.30am and then I had to wake her at 8am so I could take DD to school. Phew! She's asleep now, so I suppose whatever it was keeping her awake yesterday has passed.

Have a great week everyone.

Hey Michelle
    You so shouldn't be feeling bad about not being able to breastfeed, there are pros and cons for EVERYTHING in life! You at least know how much Bella is getting and can share the responsibility (i am so wishing benji had boobs) AND can leave her places!
    OMG 6.30 until 3.30!!!!!! that is incredible, sounds like you both had a rotten day yesterday and now after a good nights sleep will be happy as larry... do you have any more photos of Isabella??? she looks gorgeous... email me?? [email protected]

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast