Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born July 2007 #17

Anyone ever heard of babies getting sugar rushes from fruit? LIke,say, a blend of different ones?

Hi Everyone,

Jess hope eveything is going ok

Sacha, I've never heard of that before but I suppose it makes sense adults can getr sugar rushes so babies would be able to also fruit is pretty sugary and so I suppose on a small body it could give them that high

Well everything is going well here Noah is crawling everywhere really quickly and he stands up on everyuthing his cot the lounge anything we had to put the base of his cot down a few weeks ago just in case he fell out

Hi girls! Tom slept from 6.45pm last night until 8.20am this morning, so am feeling very refreshed today! Still hoping to hear from Jess although i know it will be a while yet. I just can't stop thinking about little Ethan. i told DH about it and he got really worried because we have heaps of spiders at the moment - mainly just those creepy little ones that jump when you go near them but also a few whopping great big white tails, so he was in T's room last night with the can of spray, spraying in the corners and in his cupboard.

Mel - Jack's little outfit sounds gorgeous! We went to a wedding recently and the grooms nephew had on a little suit with a waistcoat and tie and it was super cute. Tom has had a sleepover with my sister (the night of the wedding actually) and it all went fine. He slept incredibly well - from 7.30pm until 5.30am, then after a feed until 9am. He loved it actually because he was just spoilt the whole time and got to watch their massive big screen tv. I missed him heaps but my sister kept me updated and it was actually so nice to spend so time with DH without having to worry about sleep times and feeding etc. We felt like real people again for the day!

Zofia - Diana is just the smartest baby! I always worry that i will forget to put on Tom's nappy - at the moment it is so hard to keep him still while getting him changed that after i have picked up all the stuff he has knocked off the change table and restrained him from grabbing hold of his 'bits', i always think i will forget the nappy. We will all be coming to you for advice when its potty training for us - i am not looking forward to toilet training a boy..

Well I'd better finish off the story about the amazing adventures of the little car thief. Sacha, Mum and Dad do live on a big property so if only he had driven UP the driveway instead of down, things would of been better off. May have still gone through a fence but atleast it would of been our fence and no danger to any other poor person coming along the road. He and his sister have been with my parents about 3 or 4 years and although they come from a horrific background, they don't normally do naughty things - no more than any other kid - so it is quite out of character. They are both fairly developementally delayed, (speak quite slowly and have aides to help them at school etc) so it is just amazing that he actually could do so much in the car. He got into a heap of trouble - he got asked what his favourite toy was and that has been taken away until the car is fixed and returned to mum, was having a friend over to visit after school which he was super excited about and that has been cancelled, and he recieves pocket money for chores so he has to give it to mum and dad until he has paid them $20 (they told him the car would cost a lot of money to be fixed and he thinks $20 is heaps of money, as you do at that age). I think he only scores $2 a week so he will be paying them for a while to come. His school was really good about it - the prinicpal called him over the loud speaker which is just horrifying at that age, and had a talk to him and showed him his drivers license and explained what it meant and you cant drive until you have one. I tell you, there is always something going on in that household! Here's ing that Tom waits until he is atleast 17 before he starts with stuff like that!

Oh dear.. not so excited about the big night sleep now. He seems to think he has permission not to sleep today now..

Hi ladies

Just a quick update

We are still in perth the operation is over it went well which is great, unfortunately because of all the shock on Ethans body its just taking him a little while to recover from it. He is being tube fed at the moment as he just doesnt have the energy to do it himself, he has slept nearly all day and when he is awake he just lays there But he is on the mend and the Drs doubt there will be any side effects, so relieved. I had a melt down yesterday when i went to ethan in recovery and he had tubes everywhere, my heart just broke and i was so scared i would lose him, and i was blaming myself for not checking his bed and stuff properly before i put him in it, a lovely nurse took me aside and had a big talk with me and told me it is in no way my fault, and he is going to be ok. We may be able to come home tomorrow if ethan goes ok tonight and they think he is up for a 4hr trip. Im just staying in his room at the hospital as i cant bear to leave so im tired and exhausted and very emotional, so i had to go for a walk and i found one of those internet booth things, in a corridor somewhere, i hope i find my way back ok! Im really upset with Dh (a bad time i know) but i eventually got hold of him at 9pm monday nightand He and the boys at work decided that as they weren't working tuesday morning they would get Drunk, so he was off his face when i reached him and wasnt allowed to fly in that state, He drove all the way home tuesday night and then rung me to find out where we were he had no memory of me calling him. He is driving back to perth today, here should be here soon. I Really dont know what to say to him, but i wont bring it up in front of ethan, he doesnt need it.

Any way thanks so much ladies for your support, its so nice knowing there is so many people who care about ethan. I wish there was some way to let you all know how greatful i am. I must be off. Talk again when we are home.

Oh Jess, I am so glad you let us know Ethan and you are. Thankyou for thinking of us while you are having this terrible time.
    I am glad his operation went well.
    Hopefully he will be back to himself in no time. I hope he gives his mummy a nice big smile some time.
    I am glad the nurse was there yesterday for you. It is a terrible thing to go through, let along, while your husband,/partner is AWOL.
    I hope for your sake that Ethan is well enough to go home tomorrow, hopefully when he gets home, he will be happier.

You have done a great job, and we are all thinking of you and praying that little Etahn gets strong really soon.

Take care and try to get as much rest as possible.

Jess, so glad to know the op went well and you had a good nurse to help you through. I'm sure you're giving Ethan as much touch and cuddle time as possible and that will help him more than anything. Thanks for keeping us updated, we've all been worried for you. Hope you're all back home and back to normal real soon.

Mel, your question about the shelf life of the food got me wondering, so I emailed them. They said that it's a combination of the acidity in the blends of fruit they use, the heat process and the packaging process that extends the shelf life. Also, more flavours coming soon - yey!

Em, that's a huge sleep! How did he end up going today? I think your parents did a great job with the consequences for driving the car - pats for them, they are obviously doing a great job (and it must be hard one)

oops got a cranky one at my feet wanting dinner...

Hi everyone,

Just a quick post

Jess, I'm so glad Ethan is on the mend I know what you feel like it was horrible when Noah had to go the Special Care and be tube fed the night he was born it is horrible to see you child in that state. And I hope you don't keep blaming yourself I have definitely never checked Noah's cot for spiders when I put him down!!! DEFINITELY not your fault!!

Just wanted to share a quote I saw that I liked -

The decision to have a child is monumentous sp? It is making the decision to have your heart walking around outside your body forever

Jess, it's so good to hear that Ethan is on the mend. I hope you get him home soon so that you can get some rest for yourself as well. And it's great that the drs think that there won't be any ongoing problems.

Apologies to everyone else for not doing personals, I'm still trying to catch up with a whole lot of posts, you girls write so much!

Jess it is great to hear that the op went well. Hope your little man gets better really quick so you guys can get home. What an ordeal you have been through. Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon!

Jess - great to hear Ethan is doing well. He sounds like a very tough little man. Hugs to you and take care of yourself. Hope you all get home very soon. We have all been very worried so your update is much appreciated.

Raels - that's great that your DH has made it through a week of not smoking, giving up is such a difficult thing to do. And particularly nice that's he's only had one cranky day. Your new MG sounds great, what a wide range of ages you've got. The 1week old will look tiny compared to the rest of them, babies this age make me feel really clucky all over again, and I'm clucky to begin with!

Zofia - how clever is your little girl, waiting until she was on her potty. It must be so rewarding to see your hard work paying off.

Em - your mum?s foster son sounds like he's in good hands, the "consequences" of his actions are impressive, I'm taking a mental note for future reference. I particularly like the removal of the favourite toy until your Mum gets her car back. Hmm, that sounds mean, but it's not meant to, I just like how they've correlated things and made them age appropriate, if that makes sense.

Mel - the photos of the kids sound great. I think Jack will look very cute in his new suit, and Charlize will look & feel like a princess for a day. I haven't even contemplated leaving Liam with anyone for anything more than about an hour. Even if I could cope with leaving him for any length of time, I still probably couldn't do it overnight, because he's still too dependent on me for food.

Jas - I like your quote, it comes close to describing how I feel about Liam. And maybe explains how our hearts just all felt sick when we heard about Ethan. Just thinking about what Jess has been through over the last couple of days makes me tear up still.

Sacha - I haven't heard of fruit giving sugar rushes to kids, at least not in the way that lollies/junk food has an effect on them. But I guess it's one of the reasons why on the healthy eating pyramids they say 2 servings of fruit, but 5 of veggies (which have much less sugar, if any).

Well, we're still having sleeping & eating issues in my neck of the woods, but I met with the MCHN yesterday, so I have a plan. Starting with no longer letting him feed to sleep on me, which is not as easy as it sounds, cos often he won't eat properly until he's really tired. I've had a small break through with the eating, in that I've given him some pieces of pumpkin to play with in his high chair over the last couple of nights and they have made their way into his mouth. And then all over the high chair and floor. We're still not convinced that he's swallowed anything, but it's an improvement. With most of my attempts to feed him pureed stuff he just gags until he vomits, so I'm changing tack. Tomorrow I'm going to soften up some apple pieces to see what happens to those. Oh the excitement in my house.

On a brighter note, I have got a little commando crawler, who thinks he's the bees knees when he manages to get to what he's interested in, it's very cute. It's weird though, cos even though he's become heaps more mobile over the last couple of weeks he still doesn't really leave his mat space. For which I'm grateful, as I don't think that he'll stay there for much longer, and then there'll be trouble. And he's developed an obsession for tags & labels, and for sleeping on his tummy. Putting him into bed is amusing, almost as soon as his back touches the mattress he's flipping himself over and snuggling in face down. I love going in to pick him up when he wakes, just for the amusement of seeing just what contorted position he's got himself into.
    Last edited by BhoysGirl; February 20th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.

Oh Jess, I'm so glad to hear of Ethans recovery. What an amazing mum you are. And by no means what so ever it's your fault what happened. I know you blame yourself, I think it's programmed into us mothers to feel that way when something goes wrong. But please believe us, it definately wasn't your fault. I'm just so glad that Ethan has such a wonderful mummy, who trusted her motherly instincts and reacted upon them. Well done Jess, you should be very proud of yourself. And damm bloody DH's. I'm just glad he is probably with you now. Oh, many hugs to you Jess.

Sacha, thanks for the info on the baby food. I must keep an eye out for them next shopping trip. Umm I wonder what flavors they have install.

Jan, Jack also has an obsession for labels and tags and for tummy sleeping. He makes me nervous, but there is nothing I can do to keep him on his back, so I just let him be. I hope Liam starts to sleep a little better soon.

Em, yey on Tom sleeping. How did he go for the rest of the day? And thanks for your positive story on the sleepover. I'm glad someone has something positive to say, as I now feel a little better if I choose to have him stay at mums and dads. I might just now have to ask them if it's ok. I take them for granted too much I think.

Sorry BBL ladies battery is about to run out

Megan76 Guest

Jess, i am so glad to hear Ethan's operation went well and he is beginning to recover...thanks for letting us know and look after yourself.

Jan - i hope things start to pick up on the food and sleep front, hopefully the MHN plan works!! Clever boy with the crawling!!

Em - what a massive sleep....i hope he was ok during the day!!

Not much to report here really! Does anyone feel like they have to find something to do everyday to get out of the house? Lucas gets bored and cranky if he is at home all day but is fine when we are out but there is only so many times you can go to the supermarket!!

Oh and thanks for all the responses to my cooking question...looks like i will put that off for awhile...can't wait till he can eat what we do it will be so much easier! Last night Lucas had tuna for the first time and he didn't blink an eye, loves his food my boy!!
    Last edited by Megan76; February 21st, 2008 at 08:31 AM.

Jess - yay that Ethan is feeling slightly better . Thankyou so much for keeping us updated, you are amazing! And as for any thoughts that any of this is your fault, banish them from your head right now! It could of happened to anyone of us. I am not sure if i posted about this, but a few weeks ago i lay T down on our bed and a white-tail spider crawled out from under the sheet and up his singlet. It is only that i saw it that i knew it was there. As for your DH, I hope everything is ok and give him a slap on the wrist from all of us. Boys can be so silly at times. It is our job as mummy's of boys to teach them never to do stuff like that when they have girlfriends and wives (oh God help us!). Hope Ethan is doing ok today xx

Jan - Tom has a tag obsession too. He has all these toys and he just flips them over to get the tags. I brought him a taggie blanket of e-bay - it only cost me $3, a lady just sews up squares of felt and then sews ribbon tags around the outside. He loves it and won't go anywhere without it at the moment. He likes to sleep with it over his face but it is small enough not to be too much of a drama and easy to remove once he has gone to sleep. Good luck with the food - we had lots of trouble with Tom and it is only recently that he started doing it properly..although in the last few days he has started kicking and hitting the spoon out of my hands and spitting food back out at me. I feel like we are back to square one again! I like the way that mum & dad disaplined their foster child too. Yelling and shouting would do nothing - especially not for a child from an abusive background and this way he is reminded of what he did everytime he wants his toy or has to hand over his pocket money. I think its one i will be using IF Tom ever does anything naughty. Not that he will of course .

Jas - that quote is great and so so true. I never beleived i could feel so strongly for someone. I always used to love those tv shows like Saving Babies and Amazing Medical stories. Now i can't watch them because i go into melt down over the thought that something may happen to Tom.

Megan - I definiately know what it feels like having to get out of the house. Tom gets very bored easily so he loves going for walks, which has been hard lately because its either been really hot or raining, so it is hard to keep him entertained. He has a jolly jumper but something in his mind just hasn't clicked on what to do, so he just sort of hangs in it. I'm thinking of getting him an outdoor swing because we have a big undercover area with beams that i could hang it from. I have to rotate which supermarket i go to so it's not like 'oh your here again!'

Well, yesterday was a complete write off after that big sleep. He wasn't interested in sleeping much for the rest of the day and he was super cranky because of that. I tried weaning him of his reflux medication about a week ago and it just hasn't worked so he needs to go back on it, so every bottle and solid meal was an absolute battle yesterday. He just screamed and screamed every time i came near him, but i didn't want to not let him eat or drink so it was tears all all around! Hoping today is better! My boss has asked me out for lunch today - hopefully to talk about what's going on with my job. Hoping that Tom will be normal and quiet during it!

Did anyone watch Cashmere Mafia last night? What did you think? I really liked it - although it is very much like Sex and the City. Have a great day girls!
    Last edited by mrscricket; February 21st, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Megan76 Guest

Em....i loved cashmere mafia! Just add it to all the other trash i watch!!!!
    Hope you have a better day with tom!

Now Megan if only they had been allowed to show Underbelly before it, i would of been a happy girl! After complaining all summer about crap tv there is too much on that i want to watch - Brothers and Sisters, Greys, Women's Murder Club, Home and Away, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares - its my new favourite trashy tv show. Its so sad - i need a life!

Megan76 Guest

Em i love all those shows too! Just add So you think yoy can dance and American Idol and Gossip Girl! Last night after the first few minutes of Cashmere Mafia DH said "oh god you're gonna love this aren't you, its right up your ally!" , he could tell i was excited!! I need a life!

Oh and DH's sister lives in Tassie so she is taping the whole series of Underbelly!!!

Jas - forgot to say i love that quote and couldn't agree more!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast