Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born July 2007 #8

Megan76 Guest

Sacha - this is from the Tweddle brochure for babies up to 6 months old

Place drowsy but awake baby into cot and leave room
    If starts to cry wait 20-30 sec
    Enter room and commence settling techniques with baby on back - one hand on chest and patting hip
    If baby doesn't respond turn to face away from you, roll back once settled or deeply asleep
    If crying continues after about 20 minutes pick baby up, calm her, wait for tired cues and try again!

We could never go 20 minutes! They suggest to just go as long as you can tolerate and when they are on the down part of a cry stick the dummy in and see if that works. At the start we only got to a couple of minutes before the dummy went in! Only ever got to about 10 minutes of crying and had to pick up! A good test is to see if she stops crying when you pick her up, if she does then you know there was nothing really wrong she is just protesting. Keep in mind the nurses tolerate a lot of real screaming which helped me to know i wasn't being a bad mother!

Anyway, do what you think is best for your bub!! You know her the best and everyone is different.

Hi everyone, I trust you are all having lovely weekends. Mine is divine so far. Both kids have been asleep not for nearly 3 hours. Just wish I knew it was going to happen and I would have had a sleep too. Oh well, I have got heaps done instead.

We had Jacks needles yesterday and I got my first of the cerival cancer vaccine done too. Oucchhyyy, I think Jack was braver than I was. We had both kids weighed. Charlee is down to 9.9kg now, and Jack is now 7.7kg. It won't be long until he over takes her. But I guess once he gets up and about he will slow down too. I'm still a little worried about Charlize losing weight, but the hospital said give her until her next needles (which is in a month), to see what her weight is doing then. I guess I have nothing to worry about, but you know us mums we still do!!!!!

A_M_M- we got the Tolo Baby safety gates. Mainly for three reasons. The first was because the price, alot cheaper than the other, second was because we liked the look better, and third was because it self closes. I think they are only $99 with two extensions included. There are so many to choose from though, it can do your head in

Rebecca, wow that boy of yours sure is a good sleeper. Enjoy some of that sleep for me too would you!!!

Zofia, double yey for you. Congrats on uni being over for you, how great is that. I bet you feel a thounsand kgs lighter having finished. And good luck for Tuesday, I can't wait to hear all about your wedding and to see some pics too

Megan, I hear you about sleeping when you don't really want them too, then refusing to sleep when you want them to. I sware they can read our minds sometimes And want to play games with us, little buggers!!! Hope you had a good time at mothers group.

Jem, hope things are all well on your front. Can you belive that Marty is still in Aust. Idol? I just hope he goes this week and none of the others go before him. I won't be happy if he doesn't !!! I have been meaning to let you know too. I have found somethings that seem to be working for Charlees exzema. Well there are a few things, but altogether it seems to be under control. I'm using a cream called XMA, after her baths, and bathing her in Bicarb Soda, and using OMO sensitive washing detergent. I don't know if it is just one of these that is doing the trick, but I don't dare stop one for her sake to find out, I'd prefer to stick with what we have going. How is the boys exzema going?

Sacha, let us know how you go with the settling routine, I'm curios to know.

Jessikah, I almost cried when I read that Ethan had laughed for the first time. I know after how much you have been through, how much it would have meant to you to hear that. I hope your tailbone gets better soon, it does sound very painful you poor thing. And I would definately take your mum up on that offer to take Ethan so you can get some sleep, is she available to have my two aswell

MM_ Yey on Michael rolling over for the first time and being able to hold himself up. Jack is still so far away on being able to do this. I think he is too much of a rolly polly.

Anyway ladies, that is all I can manage for the time being. The kids are starting to stir. Hi to everyone I didn't get time to say hello.

Will hopefully BBL

Take care all

Hi mel - how wonderful having the kids sleep at the same time for so long!! I know when that happens to me I end up wasting my time as I keep expecting them to wake at any moment! IKWYM about Marty - he has to go NOW!! I think that Martys mum must have a huge phone bill. Jacks weight gain is great and I am sure Charlize is fine but as you said us mums will worry - at least it is only a month unti you can have her checked again. Are you all unpacked?? Brave you haing a needle LOL!! I dont know much about the cervical cancer vaccine but who is it recommended for? Am I too old to have it??

Zofia - just wanted to wish you all the best for your wedding on Tuesday. How exciting!! Looking forward to seeing some photos!!

Hi to everyone else. Hope you are all having a great weekend.

This is just a quick post as I am going to the movies with DH while his paretns look after the kids.

Not much else new here - I will BBL to say hi.
    Take care
    Jem

Default Diana has a tooth!

Hi everyone

I just though I'd share this - Diana cut her first tooth today - bottom right. She was a bit sooky this morning and I was beginning to get a bit annoyed with her. I put my finger in her mouth, as I sometimes do to see if she is hungry and felt a little hard tooth. So exciting. Hope she doesn't start biting though...

Hi everyone...sounds like you are all doing well which is great! Way too many posts for me to catch up on but thought I would just pop in and say a quick hello before Alessia wakes up for her next feed. We had her Pixi Fotos taken today and they are so cute!!! *shriek* We spent way too much $$$$ but she's only 3 months old once in her life Other than that today, we're travelling along nicely still - getting on average 8 hrs of sleep a night which is great. I just need to remember to go to bed at a decent hour! Enjoy the weekend everyone!!!

ANNNNNDDDDDDD Good luck for Tuesday Zofia!!! *hugs*

Megan - thanks heaps for the info. I actually had such a crap night last night that I woke up determined to do something about it, and what I had planned was basically what you described! Anyway, she has gone down for all her naps today in her bed, though it took about half an hour each time, and I had to stay with her - I wasn't able to leave her to cry except for once at the beginning. My intention is to work up to that over the coming days as she gets more used to being in the bed awake. She actually had an hour and half nap this arvy which is unheard of. Tonight took longer, about an hour of alternating settling, sleeping, crying until she finally stayed asleep. I guess the test is how we both go during the night! But with DH away for two out of every three weeks, I just can't afford to not get some decent sleep as there's no-one to give me even a short extra sleep now and then.
    I'm interested to know where this method comes from exactly, and whether you know the one for babies over 6m?

Zofia - hope everything goes the way you want on Tuesday - such an exciting time for you! Wow on Diana getting a tooth already! Thanks for the kind words about Autumn

Smile

Zofia ~ All the best for a magical day on tuesday!

Mel~ Thanks so much for the info on the gates.

Sacha ~ Hope you had a better night last night. I think when Lucas started sleeping in his cot we were just persistant that he was to stay in there because it was bedtime. I didnt time or anything just went by the sound of his crying and would keep going in to comfort him until he gave in. Now he gets cranky if he's not put in bed at bedtime so our persistance has paid off. Lucas has a dummy though so this probably makes a difference too.

Well we have had a pretty cruisey weekend, we looked after our nephew last night and also we got a new car. It's a big family station wagon and its great, no more squeezing everything into a little two door car anymore!

Hope everyone is well.

August xx

O hmy gish, I am so jelous of the bubs that go to bed in the cot easily. Kaetlyn has no trouble sleeping at all, its just when we put her down to sleep in her cot at night she screams blue murder. In the morning she is okay and will chat herself to sleep. during the day she sleeps in the rocker in the lounge room fine. I cant comlpain though, as once she is alseep and I put her in the cot, she is fine and can resettle herself.

Hi. My name's Leah, Im first time mum to Ella who is now 3 months old (born 31/7/07). Hope you dont mind me butting in but after reading this forum for a few weeks now, I thought it was about time I introduce myself. I love being a mum although I find it quite challenging at times. Its great reading this forum and hearing of other mums experiences and problems. Take care everyone!

Hi and Welcome Leah, I'm sure you'll find this group wonderful and I do. Everyone is very caring and helpful. Congrats on the birth of Ella, that's a beautiful name. I'm glad to hear your enjoying motherhood.

Well everyone, our furniture is arriving today. So I will be able to sleep downstairs with the kids now, I nearly fell down the stairs two night ago, when I went to feed Jack. We decided we will sleep downstairs in the spare room until the kids a little older, then we can have seperate parents and kids quaters, he he he. Charlize butterfly bed also arrived on friday. But DH wants to wait until the new carpet in laid until we put it together, but of course I want to put it together earlier. I also ordered some lightening McQueen stickers for Jacks room. I can't wait for them to arrive, finally his room might feel like a little boys room. He is still sleeping the the bassinet insert in the portacot as Charlee is still using the cot, which is why I want to set up her bed asap, so she can make the transition earlier.

I hope you all have a lovely weenend.

Oh I wanted to tell you, a friend of mine, his wife had their first child on Saturday afternoon after her waters breaking on Friday morning, 15 days over her due date. He weighed in at a massive 9pd 10oz. I couldn't believe they let her go so long over her due date as well as so long after her waters breaking. But they were in the natural birthing suites, so they must be more relaxed in there. But all is well with him, they called him Eli, which is unusual very biblical but I really like it.

Anyway must be off, got lots to do (as usual).

Take care all.

Hi all,

Zofia, well done on your last assignment, you will definitely pass first time no re-submitting. I know what you mean about not having had AF for a year. I hope you didn't jinx yourself. Because mine hasn't come back yet, every time I have a hard day with BF, I remind myself to hold on to help stave of AF as long as possible. Good luck with your wedding, I'm sure it will be a fantastic day.
    Wow a tooth, well they had to come sooner or later huh? I hope she doesn't bit you too. Apparently, so I've heard you need to let her know it hurt, like a bit of a yelp or something, enough to shock her, and she might not do it again. Fingers crossed for you she doesn't bite at all.

Sacha, I had never actually heard the tweedle info before, but it seems I have been doing what megan listed for a few months,but have never gone more than about 5 mins of screaming. (Xavier has what I like to call a point of no return scream, and there is no calming down from it). We are getting some really good sleeps at the moment. I did find with xavier that patting him distracts him, and he is now at the point where he can pull his dummy out with his hand and push my hand away from putting the dummy in. So I hold his hands and he grabs my fingers, and once he gets sucking it is good. We also make a shh noise from the moment I enter the room to the moment i leave the room. However if he isn't calm he won't take the dummy, and it is the sucking of the dummy that seems to calm him. Hope our experiences have helpd

Mel, I would love to enjoy some of the sleep for you, but I don't think I'm getting as much as I should during that time. I'm either coughing half the night or waking up with engorged bb's so very restless sleep for me.

Mel and Jem, I think you will be happy tonight. I'm predicting it will be marty's last day. Imagine ruining a perfectly good doors song and then trying to pass it off as big band, besides the girl did too well last night, the little fella has all the little girly votes and surely carl is getting lots of mum votes.

Fran, I hear you on the remembering to go to bed at a decent hour, although I am starting to get really tired and regardless of the time as soon as I do put my head down within minutes I fall asleep. I never used to be able to do that.

amm, yay on the new car, that must be great to not have to try and get a bubs out of a 2 door car. I've always told nathan I don't like 2 door cars, and that if there is a seat in the back it should have a door to get to it.

Welcome Leah, the more the merrier here.

Well looks like 12 hour sleeps are starting to become the norm here. I hope the continue, but have to go someone just woke from his morning nap.

Hi girls!
    Hi Leah - i love the name Ella. I recently joined in with this group too and it is great.

Well, our weekend was nice. Spent Saturday watching the horse races on tv with Tom - he just loves them which thrills my dad as he is a horse trainer. I think he is now eyeing him up as future apprentice jockey! On Sunday Mum and Dad came to visit - they live a couple of hours away so they dont get to see Tom much. Tom is a bit funny around people at the moment, especially loud people so he spent most of the day crying and clinging to me - mum and dad foster children and they have 3 at the moment who just dont understand the concept of not getting in the baby's face and talking quitely to him etc. They just constantly yelled and shook rattles right next to his eyes - so it was all abit frustrating, as i havent seen mum and dad for ages and wanted to show them my good little boy..
    As for the great wrapping saga - Tom has now learnt to escape his wrap and move from one end of the cot to the other - so definately going into a sleeping bag. The only thing was when i got him up this morning he has scratched himself all over his face. His nails are quite short - he looks like he has gotten into a fight with a cat! I think i might have to put mittens on him.

Good luck for your wedding tomorrow Zofia - we want to hear all the details. I just love weddings!
    Mummy Mel - your poor friend - 15 days!! I would have gone crazy. Tom was two weeks early and even that was enough for me! Your new house sounds lovely.

Hope everyone had good weekends. I am looking forward to tomorrow - Melb Cup day here so DH has the day off and Tom will be captivated by the tv all day!

Megan76 Guest

Hi everyone!

Em - sounds like you had such a similar weekend to me! Lucas is the same with people so i invited mum and dad over for lunch thinking that if he was in his own surroundings they would get to see a happy little boy....things did not go according to plan....he only slept for half an hour in the morning and screamed like i have never heard him scream as soon as they walked in the door! We did get him to sleep and he slept for an hour and a half (and let us eat our roast!) but then got up and screamed again as soon as he saw them. He did calm down and finally they got some smiles and a happy boy!! So stressful! By the way i think there is a horse running in the cup called Black Tom - definately an omen bet for you! P.S Tom was our second in line name for Lucas!!

Rebecca - Lucas does the same with his dummy now when i try to resettle - just pulls it out! I am finding it impossible during the day to get him back to sleep without picking him up which is a habit i didn't want to get into but whatever works i guess!

Zofia -Good luck tomorrow!

Mel - I'm glad you are settling in!

Leah - Hi, i am sure you will be addicted in no time!

....BBL Lucas is awake and nearly an hour overdue for a feed!

Ha ha Megan - Lucas was our second in line name for Tom!! How freaky is that. It only missed out because a little boy came into my work and got himself jammed in between our sliding door (dont ask me how..) and his mum was screaming 'Lucas! Lucas' at him over and over again, so it temporarily put me off. I still love it and could imagine Tom as a Lucas though.
    I am thinking of having a bet on Black Tom as it is paying $151 - which obviously means its crap but you never know!!
    Last edited by mrscricket; November 5th, 2007 at 03:18 PM.

Hi everyone,
    Can I join in too? My bub Oliver is almost four months old, born 9th July. He just made the transition from bassinette to cot on the weekend and I thought it might be time to try some new settling techniques for his daytime nap. He normally sleeps 3 hours around the middle of the day, usually falling asleep at the breast then I will put him in his swing. He wakes up but is fast asleep in no time.
    But!!! I'm thinking he might be getting too used to the rocking motion and may have trouble settling himself once he is too big for the swing.
    So today after feeding him I let him settle in my arms for a few minutes, gave him a nice big cuddle and popped him in his bed.
    He layed there quiet for a minute or so, so I left the room, and told myself I would give it five minutes if he started to cry (as long as he wasn't too distressed). He did start to cry so after 5 minutes I went in, picked him up and settled him. He stopped crying almost instantly so I popped him back down, kissed his cheek and left the room.
    He started to cry again so after 5 minutes I went back in and he was sucking on his fists so I decided to give him a little top-up.
    Within a few minutes he was falling asleep while still on the breast so I popped him back in bed. He opened his eyes, I gave him another kiss on the cheek and left the room.
    Then, no crying!!! Went back in 5 minutes and he was fast asleep, and still is! I feel like we have really achieved something, and so quickly and easily. I wasn't expecting this cause I had so much trouble teaching my first son how to sleep. I'm really lucky though cause Oliver has been an easy baby right from the start.
    Thanks for reading this and I look forward to chatting with you all.

Hello everyone

Hello and welcome Leah - glad to have you join us in here. It is a great group and the more the merrier.

Welcome raels - congrats on the arrival of Oliver! My DS1 is Oliver so I love the name and Charlotte was born on the same day as your Olier! Oh and yay for Oliver settling himself - hopefully he has the knack of it now.

Mel - how wonderful with your furniture arriving. Fingers crossed Marty goes tonight - he was terrible last night LOL! Wow and youch on the size of your friends baby!!

Em - thats so cute that Tom loves the horse racing. You post also reminded me that I have to put a bet on the Melbourne Cup - I have no idea who to bet on so as per usual I will probably make my pick based on the jockeys colours!!

Bec - surely you must be right with your prediction that marty is going -his time is well and truly up. I will be watching with great interest!!

Megan - glad to hear your lunch with your mum and dad turned out OK and they got some smiles!! Nothing like a smile to make everyone feel good!!

AMM - what type of car did you end up getting?

Not much new to report here. Everyone is sleeping at the moment - fingers crossed it last for a while longer!
    I am going to get Charlotte weighted tomorrow as it has been ages since I have had it done. She looks like she is putting on weight but it is still nice to know how much.

I had better run and rest while it is quiet.

BBL
    Take care
    Jem

Thanks Jem,
    Let us know how much Charlotte weighs - I am planning on taking Oliver this week too. I'm always so surprised by how much he has gained everytime I go! My DF and I always try to guess but we are never close, always way under!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast