Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #15

Well Hello all!

Have been MIA and finally wrestled the 'puter from Matt at about 10.30 and just caught up on posts. Today we had a lunch at Inlaws for our nephew's 2nd birthday. Got to see little neice (1 month old today) again and sorry to say but she isn't cute at all! The poor thing has conjunctivitis but she has a squashed in head, blotchy complexion and generally not nice to look at. I don't mean to boast but Aleise always looked lovely - maybe 'cause she was born via c/s and wasn't pushed out in 2 hours who knows? All of the other SIL's kids, she has 3, didn't look like that at that age and she had natural births for all!. I'm sure she'll grow into a pretty girl though.

Oh yeah MIL told me today she'd put a deposit on that scrapbooking machine and said we only had to give what we could afford and don't feel obligated to give too much. I told her we'd give more than usual 'cause she helped us out ( a little bit) but was secretly thining what extravagant gift she'd like next year!

Bath: I'm with Simone about the socio-economic status thing. I also wish there were more people in this world like you honey! Not all private schools are expensive and most of the Catholic ones will waive fees if they know you're having financial difficulties. I think I posted ages ago that when my parents split my high school waived fees for a while - only because my dad was an A*hole and skipped a few payments! You could always lie and say Verity got a scholarship if it bothers you too much. Personally Ithink if someone judges you about how you choose to educate your child/ren then THEY are the ones being shallow and aren't worth knowing!

IK: Got your email will get back to you if need be (refer to my reply) either way will let you know when I've posted the nappy covers. Glad someone can use them!

Aleise is getting better and caughing less. Still giving her ventolin but only 1 puff twice a day now. Unfortunately her feeds aren't as good as normal but she's getting there as she had 180ml in one sitting today - first time in a week she's had that much in one go. She's not rolling over yet but is rolling from back to her side and seems to be doing this on both sides. She's exploring new toys now and loving new faces.

Well nothing else much to say - better go as it's my shift if she wakes up early - Matt has to work 2morrow

Catch you all soon.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

hi all,
    bit behind on posts but will try to remember:
    Simone - I'm so proud of you re: emptying the bath water on teh lawn.. I empty the bath water into the nappy bucket and use my shower water for the garden. As I use MooGoo products it can all go on the garden. But it does hurt my back a bit - I often ask DH to do it!

Baths - love hearing stories of your kids. I feel like I know them!

IK - I was like that on Tuesday last week, just felt overwhemled. glad things are back to normal..

Nickers - have a great wedding, can't wait to see photos

oh, have to go.. more personals later - luv to you all

Just got back from Melbourne's Parenting, Baby and Child Expo ... it was fantastic! Used my free ticket and caught the train in... I could have spent more than i did but I only bought a BFing top which was %20 off at the expo. I could go on for ages about it but I need to flake somewhere.... I only took Wade in (he saw Dorothy the Dinosaur perform twice... front row for the 2nd performance so he was totally in awe!) Verity would have loved it too but she had athletics commitments... DH also took Niall for the day so I came home painfully engorged but luckily Niall was awake and keen for another feed when I got home. Anyhow I reckon we should arrange a Melb. Junie Meetup for next year! It was also very well laid out with heaps of set up areas to BF/change nappies and areas for toddlers to play. There were also heaps of free Neverfail water dispensers... and most importantly we didn't have to queue for a toilet when Wade announced he needed to go (I only get about 2/3 minutes to find one after he tells me) we were able to get a pass out and use the ones just outside the entrance. Anyhow it was fantastic... lots of stalls selling stuff that, like Rory said, you don't really need... but still it was nice to see everything in the one place.... oh and of course it was great to see the BellyBelly stall in such a great position exposure-wise and kelly looking fantastic handing out showbags... gotta help her pack them next year!

Soooo tired... back later for personals....

Another weekend almost over- I can't believe how quickly they go.

I am glad you enjoyed the expo Bath- went to it when it was in Perth, and enjoyed looking at all the different things that are out there for babies.

Neeny- I am glad to hear that Aleise is on the mend, must be heart breaking to see you little baby under the weather we have been lucky so far (touch wood) that Tori has had no more than a cold.

Amanda- I hope that your mum and dad arrived safely and you had an enjoyable weekend.

Nic- I hope you had a great time at the wedding, this is the first year in the 5 years Pete and I have been together that we havent had a wedding to go to. Although I know of at least 2 more in the next couple of years- I love going to weddings, a great excuse to get all dressed up.

KL- Would love to see some pics of your little one crawling around- it is all happening so fast for you.

We made the mistake of going to our local shopping centre today (shops in perth don't usually open on Sunday- they were open because it is our Telethon this weekend, and some of the stars were visiting) and OMG what a mistake, there were people EVERYWHERE. I ended up get really angry because people just kept stopping in front of the pram, in the end I just exploded and some rude comments to these people that had stopped in front of me for about the 10th time. It was quite scary how angry I got, I amnot used to feeling angry like that. Needless to stay we stayed no longer than we had too.
    I am going out tonight with some of the BB girls for dinner, it will be my first night out without Tori, and the first girly dinner I have gone to in over 6 months, I am really looking forward to it.
    Anyway best go, I want to have a shower and straighten my hair. I hope everyone is enjoying there sunday.

I would have liked to go to the expo! I had tickets, but ended up enjoying the sunshine out this way. We met up with friends and did a long walk in the bush with Oscar in his buggy and sun shade. I'm rooted now. I can't even bother to fold the laundry. My local ABA group counsellor was at the ABA stall today, so I hope you were nice to her! I would have liked to score some showbags, but this weekend it just wasn't important enough, I guess.
    Oscar is finally asleep - he mustn't have slept properly on our walk because he was pretty tired when we got back and was fighting it something fierce. It would appear that being held in a sling whilst I fold nappies bores the crap out of him and he fell asleep, like he did yesterday whilst folding nappies and the day before!
    I won a packet of Big Softies terries on eBay on Friday night, so I have them coming and we should be right for nappies for summer...unless I am naughty and get some more coloured terries... Cee Cee, that fold is continuing to impress me - I have that many less blow outs with the fold and it keeps my pilchers cleaner!
    Our night out last night in Brunswick was good. Many impressed punters at the pub when they saw Oscar in the HAB. It was smokier than I would have liked, but at least we were in the beer garden. Oscar also seems to be making more of a habit of sleeping for a bit longer at night before a feed in the wee hours. It's weird - my dreams last too long and become quite bizarre and even scary sometimes when he goes for too long without waking me up!
    Neeny - I don't think the cuteness is related to CS, cos all our Junie babies are cute and not all of them were CS's. I think it's the luck of the genes draw!! I've seen a couple of, ummm, not so cute babies and I feel awful when the thoughts enter my head before I can control them! Luckily, most of the babies I've seen lately are pretty cute. And most of them vaginal deliveries, so I don't think the correlation is that strong. Face it, Neeny, Aleise is cute cos she just scored cutie pie genes
    OK, I might see if I can nap for a bit (even though I got out of bed at midday!)...

hey Junies

IK - ( i think ive asked before ) but are you finding Oscar too heavy for the HAB ?? Im tempted to buy a baby sling or similar since ANeta sleeps perfectly through the night but will not sleep at all during the day unless she is being held ( she somehow senses its not night time ) maybe if i tried a sling she would sleep and i could walk around.. we have a baby bjorn thing but its impossible to put her in there without someone helping. Is it comfortable to sit down when the baby is asleep in the sling?

Ali - its agood thing i didnt know the shops were open or i would have gone aswell .. our pram is really wide so it probably would have ended as stressfully as it did for you
    Have fun tonight !

Bath - hows Niall going ?? we are nearing the 5 month mark !!! ahhh too scary.. I cant wait until they start crawling

gotta run. Aneta is saying " GIMME MY MILK ! " .. will try to do more personals later.. a huge hello to all Junies

Hiya Enigma... Niall's actually juuuuust on the point of drifting off to sleep here beside me...I'm pushing the pram back and forth back and forth... never fails to help him sleep if he is full and dry. I find he still sleeps better in the pram during the day... possibly because, like a sling, he knows that when he is in it he is taken around the house with me (mostly) as I work. When he is in a deep sleep I push it into the nursery and park it beside his cot with his head oriented in the same direction it would be if he was lying in the cot... just a private little theory i have that we get used to sleeping with our heads in a particular magnetic direction and if it's the same most of the time we have a deeper more restful sleep... It's probably a load of bollocks LOL and it also doesn't explain why I often have to sleep with my head up the other end of the bed (beside my DH's feet - lucky they don't smell!) when it's a full moon.

IK: well you will definately have to come along with me next year (to the expo). Danni (another BB member) said she saw me in the crowd but it was hectic around the performance area where we were at the time) but other than her and Kelly I didn't recognise anyone else. Kelly should have done BB pins for us to wear! Now I am also "rooted" and my usual Sunday Evening Routine has totally gone out the window.... infact 10 minutes ago I was sitting contemplating how much there is to do around here (in the smallest room in the house, as you do) wondering if anybody has written a good book about how to efficiently run a household in the 21st century because it's just all getting away from me... i'm at a loss... there is sooo much to do, not just cleaning eg paper filing, gift buying etc... the list goes on. I'm finding that i'm drawing on my nana's routines eg washing on a Monday morning, baking on a Friday etc... which actually do help but I need more. Anyhow, thinking aloud again now.

Ali: Ooh hope you have a great night out tonight!!! Let us know how it goes... will you be seeing Tulip again? I understand totally about the anger thing. It's only been since having children that I've let my anger show in public... and it's been far more furious than before having them... it's like having a baby triggers something in your brain, activates some hormone that allows the angry feelings to be much deeper... but then again it's the same with the opposite feelings of love and tolerance: they've been greater too...so i guess what I'm saying is that I am more open about my feelings since having children... less self conscious of them.... it's been a good and bad thing. But regarding pram rage: today i was amazingly unfazed! I found everyone to be quite considerate, more so than usual, I guess we all had no choice! But tomorrow if somebody stops infront of me at my local shops I'll go back to feeling p1ssed off LOL

Hot chocolate time!

Yep, Bath, I reckon we get together a Junie posse for next year!
    I watched the 60 minutes story on attachment parenting tonight - well, I missed the start of it, but my mum rang me to say it was on. What a load of ****e! How could any self-respecting story on attachment parenting NOT feature a single mention of Dr William Sears?? I get the feeling they rang around different paeds until they found one who doesn't like the idea of attachment parenting and went with him. The questions the reporter asked of the women were not only stupid (i.e Reporter: would you smack your child? Me: Well, who actually advocates smacking without being reported to the police??), but really insulting. The mothers gave good responses, though - like the one about extended breastfeeding where the reporter asked if it was more about the parent than the child and the mother replied "You can't force a child to breastfeed". The mothers probably were also not told that the angle of the story would be that they are doing their kids 'damage', according to this paed they had. They put a perverse twist on things. They also had the idea that attachment parenting is a single method subscribed to by anyone who says they attachment parent - "they also believe in something called elimination communication". Crap. Some parents do, most don't. They also seem to be under the impression that attachment parenting involves having no rules, no boundaries, never saying no, and being anarchistic in general. What a farcical idea. I can't believe that the paed really believes that attachment parenting is harmful to children! What a crock! Our kids and society is in far more danger from kids who come from families who don't care what their kids are doing, who REALLY set no boundaries cos they don't care enough, who let their kids loose on the world. I know, I live in an area full of them and my train line goes through these areas, too - hence my hesitation to travel after certain times...when these kids would otherwise be at home with parents who give a damn. And that's the other thing. Parents who do not attachment parent are not automatically parents who advocate smacking, wean at 6 months (or before), never pick up their children when they cry...yet the 60 Minutes would have you believe this is the case. They were out to make a mockery of the attachment parenting 'weirdos' and didn't even consult anyone who might actually advocate AP and ask them why. This is why I don't watch TV!! I can't stand how it appeals to the lowest common denominator and it drives me nuts that heaps of people watch the tube and take in the 'information' without questioning the angle, the motivation, the research. Unfortunately, information on TV cannot be trusted. And that's why mine spends 99.99999% of the time switched off and if I'm interested in something I'll research pros and cons myself!
    Rant over.
    Enigma - Oscar IS getting bigger in the HAB, but I can still leave him in there and let him sleep there. I find, however, that doing my 'home duties' with him in there is not as comfortable anymore, so I put him down on the bed or in the bassinette once he's asleep. It gets him to sleep quicker than the shoulder sling does. And yep, you can sit down with them in it and asleep - I watched a film at the cinema last week with him in it Also, I can sit on the couch and watch a DVD without needing to take him out (cos I'm not taking all his weight whilst I'm sitting). Perhaps you should look at the Ergo carrier instead, though. It can take the weight of older kids and is probably a good one to use from this age if you haven't been really using a sling till now. The Mothersdirect website (add the www's and .com.au in your address bar) has them for sale, and so does finnstarz - don't know if they are priced differently on each site. I've seen them in action and I might get one for later in the year, or request it for Christmas. You can wear them on the front or the back.
    Ok, gonna try to watch this DVD so that I can have a bath later with Oscar...

Ah... yes I deliberately didn't watch that 60 Minutes program... saw the shorts for it during the week and knew exactly the [email protected] angle they would take... i agree with you %100. This is why i mainly stick to watching the ABC.... fewer sensationalist programs... generally better researched etc. I recommend keeping your kids away from the commercial stations from the start. I was raised in a household (at least prior to my parents get their divorce) where we watched mainly the ABC... it really stood out (by the time I had my own TV when I left home) how crappy commercial TV is in comparison.

Grrr, had I known, or even seen the promos, I would have said to my mum "thanks, but no thanks". As it was she called to tell me to switch on the TV. She's a weirdo. It could be said that she did AP but she texted to say she thought it was harmful, too! She tried to accuse me the other week of doing the opposite of what she says just to spite her. She didn't believe that my motivations are far more sophisticated than that, especially when it comes to how I raise my boy, but I reckon she may have been projecting and that she is actually the one who will do the opposite of what I advocate, just to spite me (this is the same women who kicked my old dog when I asked her to be nice to him because "you will learn in psychology that when you tell someone to do something, it will really make them want to do the opposite"...she still says it was my fault that she kicked my sweet old arthritic dog and that she wishes I didn't tell her not to! That's called external locus of control, where you believe nothing is in your power! But I digress...). I have lost all respect for 60 Minutes. It lost its journalistic value years ago when Tracy Curro came on board (she's a far better radio presenter, I gotta say) and Richard Carelton was raised to god-like status. I agree wholeheartedly about the ABC and limiting exposure to commercial stations. I have a friend who only lets her kids access the ABC kids website on the internet - she also has Macs at home and on a Mac you enter the ALLOWED websites, instead of the futile exercise of banning unwanted websites, for kids to access the internet. I feel so violated after watching that story tonight! Well, maybe not violated, but I feel a bit cheap and dirty, anyway! They didn't even bother to find someone (and they aren't hard to find, gotta be easier than finding a paed who will condemn AP) who advocates the merits of AP.
    I know, I know, there's no point going on about it cos everyone knows that 60 Minutes is tabloid reporting anyway...I'll stop now and listen to Sally Morgan on the ABC. Oscar is asleep, but even subconscious exposure to aboriginal culture has to be good for him
    Good night! I'm going for a hot choccy, too!

Morning - lovely day in Melbourne!

I forgot to say I say Simone at the Expo, so that was a highlight of my trip

Bath, on the QC on VCAT- it probably won't be a conflict because he won't sit on any of the appeals. As for any suggestion his mates on VCAT would side with him would be vigourously denied, cause VCAT members should be impartial. And on the book on household organisation, there is a book called "Confessions of an Organised Homemaker" by Deneice Schofield. I read her "Confessions of an Organised Kitchen" and found it very useful - I am thinking of buying the "Homemaker" book on ebay/amazon.

Attachment parenting - I missed 60 Mintues - I love watching shows like that because I enjoy the sense of outrage I get afterwards, I truly do. I am sorry I missed it cause it sounds like the show would have merely cemented my belliefs about commercial current affairs shows. You gotta admit, IK, that while it sucks that shows like that are around, there is something deeply satisfying in having you prejudices against a show being confirmed in such a way

I just googled Dr Sears - turns out that except for the baby wearing we are almost AP-ing (I think!) Flynn sleeps in his own cot in our room but we will eventually move him to his own room, I feed him when he seems to want it, he doesn't have a routine (except for the mornings, which he chose himself), we regularly take him out at night, after he has fallen asleep, we settlehim when he cries..... why is there the need to put a label on things like this? Isn't it just being a loving parent? That said, we do try to get him to settle on his own and sometimes when he is going to sleep he cries out, but if he is really distressed we go to him.

gotta go - work to be done before boy wakes.....

Good morning Junies... well all under control here... second load of washing nearly ready to be hung... one more after that... Wade has brought the bins in (he can just manage a small wheelie bin, it's one of his jobs). Going to be a perfect 23'C today.

Received your piccys Enigma and Amanda Looking good... loved that comment Enigma LOL How many brother's and sisters do you have Amanda? My sister just sent me a photo of herself when she was 9 months preggy OMG!!! I'll post it on my site eventually... she looks like she was expecting twins! I had no idea she was that big but a beautiful little girl (saw her piccy for the first time recently too) resulted... looks very much like Niall's cousin ie a girl version of him... nicely formed round head and all... but I agree with Neeny... we are all biased when it comes to our own genes

ETA: just missed your post Rory... catching up now...

ETA again: Rory: That book sounds great (Confessions...) will check it out at Borders this Friday... oh...anyone wanna come? Not an offical MJM (Melbourne Junie Meetup) I'll just pop in there briefly mainly for Wade's sake and to do a little Chrissy shopping.

Yep, Rory, it's also known as 'natural instinct' parenting! It shouldn't have a label, but in the last century we've had 'experts' try to tell women the way to rear their children, publish books on it and generally remove the instinct from the process. So, parents who feel inept and unable to choose how to raise and deal with their children turn to people who advocate controlled crying (now known as controlled comforting because that label is less confronting!), scheduled feeding, routines etc. So, a label has been creating by psychologists and other health professionals to refer to people who respond to their children's needs and who think that there is such a thing as 'spoiling' a child with too much affection! I guess I agree with you, too, about trash TV - I had to assert my position to the TV (whilst I was muttering at it!) and thereby reassure myself of my own parenting position. I was able to explain to myself all of what the AP's were doing and reject the notions put forward by the paed. It also DID justify why I keep the TV off and why I ask my own questions. Still, I feel insulted that I can't turn on the TV without being assaulted by so-called journalism...
    AY! Oscar is awake now...
    Enigma and Amanda - CUTE!!

I can imagine you muttering away like mutley from "Wacky Races"

I just thought about how I respond to Flynn when he cries - now we are pretty hard assed about him crying, but early on, when he was a weenie, I had real fears that if he cried for even a minute he would end up like one of those poor Romanian babies left in their cots. So I picked him up every time he cried then. Maybe that's why he is cool now?

Well my parents and brother and SIL showed up at about 12pm on Saturday, they brought lunch and my brothers birthday cake so that was ok. Then we met at the restaurant at 6:30pm and had a nice night. I even got to have to ****tails which was really nice, the only bad thing was that it started to pour down just as we got there and we were next to the doors and got the cool breeze on us, but other then that a good night was had all round. Wyatt and Cody have got a cold now both have a runny/blocked nose which is making it hard for the both of them to sleep so I haven't had to much sleep in the last 2 nights, but thats life.

Jaspen I hope that Ben's birthday party went well on the weekend and that the cake turned out, and a big to Ben for today.

KL wow at Tee crawling already, now you'll have to move all the nice stuff up a little, hopefully you'll get AF soon, now that you know that your hormones are normal.

Bath I only have a little brother, well he's not so little he's 25 and 5'11 so much taller then me but we get on great now, not like when we were younger lol.

better go for now, washing to do and lunch for the boys soon.

hugs xoxo

LOL @ the Mutley comment Rory! I can imagine it too LOL

I probably shouldn't have commented so negatively on my poor sister's size.... she's a bit depressed about her weight gain since having children and i wish we lived closer (she's in Tamworth) so I could be more supportive... I also hopes she gets the internet at home soon so she can come online too... she would deeply benefit from a supportive group like BB.

Ok.... back outside to potter in the garden and rock Niall to sleep in his pram...

Hope your boys get better soon Amanda!

ETA: Oh and forgot to mention a huge WooHoo!: My DH found out last Friday that he was peer ranked at postion 12 out of about 70 private bankers in Australia meaning he is in for a huge bonus in November... enough to clear all credit debt and (if I have my determined way LOL) a short holiday up in QLD... and better still he is in a postion now to negotiate a higher salary... this is a huge relief... looks like we will be able to finally live within our means... which at the end of the day is all I want us to achieve... oh and have a little set aside for when big stuff like the washing machine, 'fridge, car etc die!

Amanda - thanks for the birthday wishes for Ben. The party (which originally was only going to be a couple of people over for arve tea and cake for birthday but turned into party hat tableclothes whistles etc) went off well although I was a little concerned when the guests were late but once all were there it was good. ran out of time during the week to sort anything fancy so a flat rocket ship cake it was (did the precut and showed Benjamin - he recognised it as a rocket ship so that's all that mattered!!!) Probably too much icing on for the kids (especially after party food) should have kept the end bits for adults or do the send the cake home at the end of the party thing. Had to be a bit heavy handed to avoid the crumbing though - the humidity was just kicking in as I was starting to ice at 8:30 in the morning so it was a bit of a sticky business. Lost the plot a few times with ILs and finally with DH yesterday but his efforts today are slowly making up for it. I'm sick of rude inconsiderate people and am finding myself reacting in such a way that I am then in turn rude and inconsiderate - just sick of everyone else getting there way and pandering to there every need and getting no recognition for the work I put in.

Bath - woohoo for your DH!!!! and woohoo for the affect it has for your family!!!!!!

Busy trying to organise a christening on short notice - want to have it before we go away in December and DH has only just informed me we are also going to Dunk Island the weekend before that (for company xmas party) so running out of weekends real fast.

Anyway had better dash - sounds like both kids asleep so time for me to power on!!!!

Hope everyones having a good monday.

Ali - hows your back

Neeny - Good to hear Aleise is a lot better - hopefully it will be completely gone real soon.

hey everyone...

just a quickie today, at home in bed. DH is home looking after me. I woke up with massive stomach cramps, DH was going to take me to hospital at 1am it was that bad... Glad to hear everyone's doing well..

ps Rory, seeing you was the highlight of my day at PBC Expo too

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast