Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #27

Rory: ROFL that apron pattern sounds lovely... I'll have to have a look at that too.... I make my own aprons, simple as. Just plain ones though. The last one I made was from this piece of fabric that DH and I found at the back of his mum's linen press... made circa 1955 I reckon... it features illustrations of all the gentle arts: boxing, duck shooting, fox hunting, fishing, **** fighting and cricket! I'll have to take a piccy of it... it's a real conversation starter once our guests pass the observation test and notice what's printed on it! LOL It was probably originally intened as fabric for a boys bedroom curtains.

I've got a bag of rats beside me here too... I can tell he needs to do a poo ... I wish he'd just get it over and done with so i can have a shower... he generally does one around this time of day and that's the signal for me to have a shower cos he joins me.

Ice cream beckons....

ETA: oh and that method of menu planning is pretty much what I've been doing for the past 3 years... prior to that it was more haphazard and involved more convenience food as I studied and worked... but this method is far more economical. Once you have a few basics in the cupboard (spices etc) you can make a meal for next to nothing from scratch with whatevers cheapest/in season.

ETA again: I also meant to say goodluck with your decluttering too Ali! remember do it in baby steps... just choose a corner of a room to start with.... or a place like under the bed which is my focus ATM. I'm also worried about accumulating too much clutter when I embark on teaching studies! I've seen teacher student friends with ROOMS of teaching aides and materials! gulp!

hey, just lurking, too hot for much else... spent the day cleaning, ducluttered my lounge room only the rest of the house to go now...

#karen# Guest

Nic - I'm in Castle Hill.
    Nickel - would be interested in a meet, but not until kids are back at school, took all 3 to the powerhouse museum yesterday, I have no desire to go so far afield with all 3again in a hurry.
    Jess - hope the pain has eased, thinking of you.
    Bath - mmmmmmmmmm icecream, what flavour?
    All this decluttering, I should be inspired, I think I had better take the Christmas tree down, hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Karen, my SIL came to visit and took down our chrissy tree, otherwise it would've stayed up for a while yet... When DH and his dad lived together, it used to stay up all year rounfd, and just get a 2 min dust for chrissy!!

Where is everyone today?? Im just having a relaxing day at home, boys ave justgone to bed, and Anneliese is just having a feed before she goes to bed too... then maybe i can read my new book fo 5 mins straight without kids at me!!

Much more comfy day here...

For your party Rory, i my get DH to take the kids to daycare and just catch the train out your way with Anneliese, then he can pick the boys up from daycare, and me up later on. That way i can have a glass of wine and not have to worry about driving - Im not allowed to have anything to drink and then drive (After DH's best mate died from DUI) What time from and til is it going to be??

oh and

Welcome back IK!!!

Been reading the posts, just not having an opportunity to reply!
    Got back yesterday and as soon as I got in I started baby-proofing...everything is either blocked off or on top of a table for now. Got heaps of work to do, but I can get it done without DP here to make a further mess of it! It's only been a day without him, but I'll probably start feeling his absence in two days - being that that is when he'd normally be back from strike team duties...and he'll be gone for another 11 days!
    Visited the fire station this morning and it's pretty busy with crew deployments. We didn't send postcards this trip because, with all the public holidays, we would have beaten all the cards back. So, instead, we got a NZ Fire Service calendar...the girls at the station will love it!
    Did some shopping to get some fresh food in the house and now I"m surfing eBay for Tupperware. I'm sick of cheapo storage that chips, doesn't seal, can't take the microwave etc. DP seemed to be ok with this idea, even though he knows TW isn't cheap. But he also hates (more than I do) dodgy storage containers. Plus, it will all stack nicely in our poxy pantry and make it look tidier. I am SO tempted to get the huge sets for about $150...a lot of money, but after buying a few smaller sets, I'd have spent that anyway! Oh, and looking for TW is SO much fun, I"ve decided!
    Next Friday, I'm in! I'll drive and visit my cousin in Fitzroy on the way back - she just got engaged and I haven't seen her for weeks. What time? Dress code? What are we bringing? Should I see if I have time this week to try some of my Jamie Oliver recipes? I'm not very domestic in that way, but I'm willing to make a start!
    Great news - I'm packing away all my 'bigger' clothes and storing them for the next pregnancy! Now I just also got to pack my winter clothes so that my summer stuff can breathe in there...
    Nickel - I am SO glad you came back to us, don't you go nowhere, ya hear? It's great that the job ending was a good conclusion for both parties.
    OK, gonna try to put this climbing monkey into the portacot so I can sort out this house some more (he is actually trying to climb walls...as in, using them to stand up...).
    Will do more personals later, but I"m not going to attempt to do retrospective personals! Except...
    Simone - thanks!

Welcome home IK!
    Just using today as a starter for try to move around a bit more. Pain is still there (today more than yesterday, Pat kicked me last night!) have decided to try and walk into town in a couple more days. Just resting atm...heading around to see a friend in 10 mins.

Jess - take it easy! I know it's not the same, but when my mum had a partial hysterectomy, she would cry out in pain when the car went over a bump - if you don't have to, then try not to move much!
    Ok, I've made my first eBay Tupperware purchase. I'm watching several hundred items...DP is going to kill me...right before he realises what a good idea it all is

Hi all

Well its starting to get hotter up here too now although I don't think its more than 32 today! Feel for you guys down Melb way who are sweating it out!

Jess: Hope you're recovering well. Nice to get friends to come and visit when you're not well.

Simone: I started taking the tree down yesterday and just got the bottom half to put away now (still in the lounge room). LOL at your hubby and his dad having it up all year round!

Amanda: Happy birthday to your hubby! Hope he enjoyed his cake - sounds like something you'd get out of some fancy patesserie!

IK: Sounds like you're super organised with baby proofing your place. We've just started. Even though Aleise still slides along her back or belly most of the time she travels quite a distance! We bought a gate barrier for the study/lounge area as we have 2 very steep stairs that lead into the study. I am bidding on Ebay too atm - trying to get a deodourising nappy bucket and it closes 7.30pm (6.30pm Qld time) so hopefully will win that - retails new for $75 and current bid is $32.

Update: Well Aleise seems to be sitting by herself quite well now and I timed it today at 5 mins! I got some photos on the digi camera and will upload later - high time I changed my ticker too! She's also teething and it looks like there could be 3 or 4 coming out at the one time (even though she hasn't got any yet). Matt and I went to the movies Friday night and she cried for 2.1/2 hours and Mum had no idea how to make her stop! I told her she should've rang me (as we left earlier for a cofffee) and I could've let her know about the bonjella. Aleise hates rusks and doesn't like the teething rings much either! Oh well got a good year of this to look forward to I think!
    She also said "Mama" (only once) and "Yeah" yesterday. No more F words thank goodness (and yes I have started saying Flat Duck instead! not that I swear much anyway) She will be 7 months tomorrow - gee I can't believe its been that long! Our bubbas are getting so big!

Well can't think of much else to write. Take care all and will check in again soon.

ETA: whoops! Sorry Jess and Neeny... missed your posts... reading now

WooHoo IK's home safely! ah yes, all your stuff is about to embark on the upward migration as you begin to child-proof your home... stuff will have to be placed higher and higher and you'll soon run out of high places to store things and decluttering will become the bane of your existence. if you buy new storage cupboards I recommend that are lockable. Alternatively barracade areas of your home eg the kitchen so that you don't have to raise everything. Oh and check that your bookshelves can't tip forward easily because little ones tend to try to climb them... i live in fear of this happening here and there's not much we can do about it because I can't imagine the owners wouldn't be happy about us putting holes in the walls to brace them back. Yep, TupperWare is the best... never never never buy Willow brand food storage containers like I mistakenly did... I now scour Savers for secondhand TupperWare which I bring home and soak in Milton overnight then blast in the dishwasher.

Went to church this morning with Verity... gearing up for all the kids to be Christened this Easter. What I love about this church is that the reverend often includes information about other religons: "oh and Jewish/Catholic/Lutheran people do it this way..." etc. So it fits in with my "mere Christian" beliefs rather than narrowly following a set doctrine.... it's a Uniting Church offically... but very inclusive. There's a play space set up for kids too beside the pews... today this little girl, proably about 16 months old broke loose and toddled past the reverend over the dias as he gave his sermon, squealing with delight but there were no frowns... just understanding smiles at the mum who was a bit embarrassed. Also, Verity is going to have her own mentor, a lovely, perfectly 'normal' woman who will make herself available if Verity has any personal issues in her life of a spiritual nature. I know this might all sound a bit "full on" to some people. It's hard to talk about personal spirituality without sounding like a "religous nut" but I thought I might as well mention all this as it's going to be a bit of a focus for our family for the first 1/4 of the year. Don't worry, i'm not going to start writing sermons LOL

Karen: Icecream: vanilla and chocolate, two sccops in a waffle cone. I also made a Chrissy cake flavoured icecream recently which was a massive hit with everyone... I've toyed with the idea of owning an ice cream maker... but can't really justify the expense as usual... hand stirring isn't too arduous... going to try to make another flavour soon... got heaps of frangelico, might make some with that and some chopped hazelnuts.

DH and Wade napping... Niall sleeping too (Verity rocked him to sleep in the pram)... have dug out my French Women Don't get Fat book... going to make something from that... not sure what at this stage...

Oh and Yes! Much more comfortable weather-wise today... lovin' it!

Howdy girls! I have had a relatively productive day today abut I can't believe it is already nearly dinner time. I got up late (7.30am) and gave Flynn his brekky (2 vitabrits with apple puree, no less!) before treating myself to brekky at my fave cafe (I had corn fritters with bacon, oven roasted tomatoes and avocado and a "virgin suprise" - cranberry juice with OJ on top so it is layered like a ****tail - yum!) Then I went to a free yoga class in the park and took Flynn to visit my parents before heading home for lunch. After lunch I sewed the hems on three muslin wraps I made for a GF's baby (due in March - can't wait!!) and now DH and I are trying to solve the Riddle of the Baby Gates! We figure any baby gates put in place are going to be there for a few years so he is looking for an elegant (clever elegant, not the attractive elegant) solution to the problem. Luckily moving everything to a high spot isn't so much an issue in our place as trying to block off the top and bottom of our stairs....

Bath - I soooooo agree on the Willow plastic - it sucks! I bought a heap a few years ago and ditched most of it when DH decided he wanted to store stuff in glass or ceramic, but I have a few bits left which are all warped - maybe they should be next to go in the decluttering?? Oh and the mentor for Verity sounds good - while I don't have a religious bone in my body I can really see the value in girls (and boys) being hooked up with a responsible adult who can "be there" to talk about things that the child may not walk to discuss with their parents.

Neeny, is the nappy bucket one of those that had little cartridges for the bags, so they are all sealed? They look pretty cool! I am settling for a deorderiser tablet in the bottom of our bucket ATM.

Oooouch, Jess, thinking of you . Try to lie still and get the other kids to help out maybe?

IK, good luck on the tupperware purchases - see if you can find one of the ice cube trays with the covers - they are great for baby food.

Karen, outings with multiples is one thing I am not looking forward to!!

Simone, that sounds like a plan. I am happy for people to rock up whenever and stay to whenever.

We should prolly (there is is, got that "prolly" from you Simone ) sort out catering girls - I have heaps of cakes recipies I want to try....

Just updated ticker finally!

Does anyone know how to make it work on emails?? Hit a brick wall there!

rory: Yeppers its the Tomee Tippee bucket - if I don't win it I could use a deodourising tablet (what kind do you use?).

Better go and tidy up now *sigh* work is never done!

Child-proof gates: Don't buy the ones you commonly see in stores, most are crap...especially the ones that rely on spring loaded systems that are meant to hold the gate in place... they are easily dislodged as the child gets older as they yank on them quite vigorously. If I was you I'd get that clever DH of yours to construct ones from scratch. We Hired A Hubby that made one consisting of a frame with sheet masonite either side so there is no foothold. It's held up with strong hinges to a square post and another post with the bolt. I am just able to step over mine too which saves the hassle of swinging it open every 5 minutes but DH can't as easily but he's not in the kitchen as frequently as I am. Anyhow it's basically as sturdy as half a door... I'm going to paint it a colour to match the kitchen. If we have to move house it won't be too hard to remove and fill in the screw holes either. Most important thing is that it's sturdy... little kids are often stronger than you give them credit for especially if they are throwing a wobbly because they can't get in.

Quote Originally Posted by IK View Post
    Jess - take it easy! I know it's not the same, but when my mum had a partial hysterectomy, she would cry out in pain when the car went over a bump - if you don't have to, then try not to move much!
    I hear you with that IK! DH has been getting told if he hits one more bump...he's dead!

There's one spot that if anything touches, I go through the roof!

Amanda: your 4 boys are waiting for you to describe yourself to me so I can add your image to the avatar I've started! DH and Verity have gone to the cricket tonight and after the boys go to bed I'd love to relax and finish your av What I need to know is: Hair colour and length and style. Skin tone: pale or tanned. Clothing preferences. Jewelry/glasses? if you can think of anything else don't be afraid to ask!

Righto girls - I am all set to REALY flylady tomorrow - the house is in reasonable order and I have my MASTER LIST OF JOBS printed. Wanna see? Thought I would put it here so I can be honest with you and let you know if I pull it off:

First there is the timetable for the week:

WEEKLY SCHEDULE

Monday: Weekly Home Blessing
    1.Weekly Home Blessing Hour
    Clean out fridge
    Change sheets
    Empty all the trash
    Vacuum/sweep all rooms
    Mop kitchen and upstairs bathroom
    Clean mirrors and doors
    2.Zone Cleaning Chores

Tuesday: Work Day at Office

Wednesday: Zone Clean, Mothers Group, Shop Cruise, and Work at Home
    1. Finish Zone Cleaning Chores
    2. Mothers Group
    3. Shop Cruise (optional) OR Menu plan
    4. Work in evening

Thursday: Partial Desk Time and Grocery Shop
    1. Remainder Weekly Cleaning
    2. Supermarket/Market shop
    3. Work in evening

Friday: Paperwork, Misc. and Work Day at Home
    1. File papers and cull/toss magazines
    2. Clean out handbags
    3. Mend clothes and polish shoes
    4. Clean out car
    5. Council work
    6. Work at home

Then there are the weekly tasks to be completed:

WEEKLY TASKS

Kitchen: Clean out refrigerator, Tidy pantry,Wash splash backs,Wipe down stovetop, Sweep and dust, Wash floor

Living Room: Dust furniture and sills, Sweep floor, Vacuum carpet,Tidy DVDs and books, Cull/toss old magazines

Dining Room and Family Room :Dust furniture, fireplace and sills, Wash dining table, Sweep floor

Master Bedroom: Clean Mirror, Dust, Sweep floor , Change sheets

Downstairs Bathroom: Polish mirror, Wash hand basin, Wipe down bath, Clean toilet, Change hand towel, Mop floor

Upstairs Bathroom: Polish mirror, wash hand basin and bench, Clean toilet, Change hand towel, Wipe floor

Flynn's Room : Dust furniture,Tidy clothes and drawers, Sort outgrown clothes, Vacuum

Study : Clear desk, Dust, Filing, Dust printer and weights machine

If I can do this for a week I will treat myself to a full body massage at my local yoga centre!!! If I can manage it for a month I will have a house which is cleaner than my mum's!!!!!!!

Rory - you just made my head hurt real bad...I have a house that is probably a 5th the size of yours and my place would take about 3 weeks of what you have planned for a couple of days! But with DP gone, it is a distinct possibility I could get it under control in about a week...
    Jess - ouchies! Do the threats help his driving any? I know the shrieking helped mine with my mum!
    Bathsheba - thanks for the tip about the gates. I can see it would be better to have something the child can't see through to the other side of, much like a puppy. A view is a bit tantalising! I'll get DP to construct some when he gets back - he was going to make a bed rail as well, he's a bit handy like that. Might ask him to make a wall around where we keep the kitchen bins, under a bench...Oscar is into the bins now, so I'd better be there!
    BBL

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast