Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #35

Couldn't sleep.
    Thanks heaps, Jess - it's usually the best way, isn't it? I should have gone straight over (that was my first instinct, I should have acted on it), before she came over to the other neighbour's house and realised that we already knew. At least she got to see Oscar (I was going to leave him with DP when going over tomorrow, just to be overly-sensitive), and she smiled and laughed at him, telling her husband how cute he was. It's just so, so sad for them. I've been in a bit of denial and was hoping that I had a case of mistaken identity and that it wasn't my neighbour's child at all who was in the picture in the paper. That accounts for why I didn't bring it up with them when I spoke to them this week - I was hoping that it wasn't so and that I would only make a fool of myself by opening my mouth and confirming the mistaken identity. From now on, no second-guessing my instinct, I'm going to go with how I feel, just like you say, Jess
    I'm glad that you're in a safe place with your mum, too - great that she can be there for you and the kids.

Sorry for rambling!
    Julie - have a great ceremony today! Congratulations on your new 'status'
    Bath - how was Leongatha? I'll live vicariously through you and enjoy your new non-CHAOS situation!
    Ali - hope Tori is on the improve, but that snot seems to last forever, doesn't it? Even long after every other symptom has gone...
    OK, better go again and try to sleep.

OMG Ik that is terible, I read that earlier on ninemsn and thought how horrible and disturbing. Then to read here that one of them was your neighbour....it's just tragic. My heart goes out to their families.
    It scares me to think that kids can do such things right under our noses, I suppose it is a lesson to all parents to slow down and take more notice if not "pry" more into their teens lives, for their own good. It's just aweful. I'm so sorry for their loss.
    Belly rubs to you gorgeous pregnant women. Put your feet up and have a rest. Hi everyone on the fly see you on the rebound, lol.

Good afternoon

Good grief what a day... head in a spin with technicians (putting in new phone socket for our 'pute as a result of moving the desk last week), neighbour dropping in out-of-the blue, lost wallet...frantic half hour of searching...then finding wallet...and now soon have to deal with an unexpected parent/teacher interview that Verity has sprung on us...which goes for an hour! However amidst all that I managed to give IK a call just to check how she's going... hope you can manage to get in the study groove matey!

sorry can't stay... have to deal with boys and have 'firm words' with Verity for not giving us the notice from school about the P/T interview... she's due home... where is she? argh!

ETA: also bought a digital TV box off the technician... bit of a impulsive thing which I may get in trouble for as well! But DH is always saying that he wishes we could get SBS clearer...and this was the cheapest solution! Now I have to learn how to use it... but not today... too much mental overload.

IK - thats such a nice gesture by you and your neighbours. The hills always have that lovely community spirit and I am sure they are grateful for everyones condolences. What a horrible thing to have happen though. It is so scary to think what teenagers get up to on the internet and their parents so oblivious to how they are feeling. That poor woman will probably go over that for the rest of her life. Not much has been said about the other girls family.

Bath - hope the parent teacher interviews go well, even if they were sprung on you! What a mad day you've had today! How was your weekend away? Let us know how the digital box goes and how well you get SBS.

Had swimming for Chelsea this morning, then lunch with a couple of friends and their kids. One of them has 3 kids (4,3 &1) and just found out she is pregnant with #4! She is freaking out (as you would). Chelsea then had her kinder friend over at 2pm and they played dress ups for about 2 hrs! DH at work tonight, so I have a quiet and clean house lol!!

Enjoy your night!

Just dropping in to let you know IK that I am thinking of you and everyone in your community. As soon as I saw the story on the news this afternoon I thought of you. I hope that you all find someway to pull together and support the families through this terrible time, and also make time for yourself to feel whatever it is you feel and deal with such an tragic event.......hugs!

Thanks girls - that picked me up It means a lot.
    I tried to get some study in this arvo...at least I started, better than just staring at the screen. MIL had a good time with Oscar - he was in good spirits and drank all his EBM and yoghurt.
    The flowers we got are just perfect - I tried not to look at them too much once they were arranged because it made me teary. How beautiful was that girl (for those saw the pictures)? She really just blossomed lately. What a waste. The front porch is full of flowers and couriers have been coming all day long. I've been a mother hen and watching for anyone who doesn't fit in...I'll set Odin onto any media types! I came home and asked DP who the 'goons' were in the car parked out front and it turned out to be a relative - down girl! I'm becoming increasingly aware that despite how much more urban we have become up here, there really is a community spirit happening. I'm heartened, too, because young people have been walking past all day, leaving flowers, or just pausing to reflect. One young man walked past, uncertainly, then looked at me and put his fist to his heart in tribute - so touching. But this sort of thing implicates everybody. Our 'village' must be feeling that there has been a failing on many levels. Everyone I talk to seems to have a connection with them - mainly the other girl, whose dad's side of the family has been up here and community involved for years. How does this happen??? What a waste!
    Bath - glad everything settled down for you and I hope the interviews went well! Thanks for the call, too
    Mel - how's the temp at your pool for Marley? What kind of things are you doing in class?
    You know, I could go a hot chocolate right now...it might help me to stop obsessing over this!
    Hope everyone had a great week...

Ik i just wanted to say im thinking of you, the family and your community at this tragic time. Ive only just read the news tonight and still trying to come to terms with it. Good on you for keeping watch for unwanted people/media in the area too.
    Ali said it really well. im sure you guys will all come together.
    i hope you have and enjoy your hot chocolate

Good afternoon Finally the dust has settled.

Dee: Looking forward to your next post darl! I hope your special day went smoothly and that you eventually find time to post some wedding piccys.

Verity's interviews went well... met/spoke to 6 of her teachers. Neighbour from down the street (who I also know from play group) looked after the boys here which was a God send... would have been impossible to do the p/t interviews with them.

Digital tv going well... still learning how to use it... SBS is perfectly clear ABC and ABC2 have occasional moments of instability ie pixelation etc but it was perfect during the midday news and playschool which they do a re-run just after midday on ABC2 which will come in handy. Anyone else have a digital set box?

Wade is being a bit silly with Niall ATM, deliberately pushing him over etc... better go deal.

ETA: what are the crawling styles of all our June babies? Niall has recently started crawling like a koala... up on all fours, butt in the air... he started doing this outside on the rough paving tiles and grass but now he does it most of the time. It's pretty funny
    Last edited by Bathsheba; April 24th, 2007 at 02:42 PM.

Naughty Wade! Glad Dig TV is working out well - I'd love to get clear SBS, but obviously not that badly, cos I'd need to watch TV to justify the purchase of a set top box!
    Well, today has been disastrous. Oscar woke up screaming after 1am and I couldn't get him to settle for ages, so I was headachy, croaky and tired when DP woke up and Oscar woke, too. Anyway, I made my way to my 'desk', had breakfast, then started to open up my files. I decided that I couldn't stand the grime on my keyboard anymore. DP has a habit of using it when he's eating, and so do I since Oscar was born (but I at least wipe my hands!) and there was grime all over it, as well as fluff and hair. So, I got a toothbrush, a shot glass of water and detergent and a towel to dab the brush on after a dip in the solution. Well, DP left Oscar on the floor and then Oscar came over, tugged on the paper the glass was resting on and spilled it. I think enough got into my keyboard so that it's now not working. I'm using DP's board from his computer and I hate it. It's at the wrong level, the keys are harder to press down and they are further apart than I am used to (it's a PC keyboard that we use on our Mac Mini, but I hardly use it any more). So, my wrists are sore, my back is in such a poor posture, I'm sitting on a cushion to try to lift myself above table height and I'm completely out of whack. I need my study back again. I need a clear area. I need a decent chair. I do not want to study in the middle of the house any more because it guarantees distraction...that's why offices and studies were invented! Anyway, it won't fix my keyboard, so I'll need to buy one of them (I have a USB one coming from eBay for use with my laptop in the study for ergonomic reasons, but now I need one for my laptop for when I take it away from home). Adding to my general sense of woe is the horror of next door. It's just descending on me more and more and I really need to talk to someone about it, I decided. I have a meeting tonight with exactly the right people to talk to, as it happens. The other impediment to study is that where my laptop is now has a direct view to my neighbours and I keep looking out for people arriving. I know I'm obsessing.
    Better go tend to Oscar and sort myself out. Oscar is good therapy!

Bath - great news about p/t interviews and good that you neighbour could look after the boys. I can imagine how difficult it would have been if you needed to take them. I was going to get set top box but wasn't sure. I watch lots of tv so would prob be worth it. ABC here isn't that clear. Chelsea is doing exactly the same thing to Marley, pushes her over, lays on her, takes toys away! I am constantly telling her to be gentle but I don't think she cares. Its almost like if Marley cries, that's a good thing! How do you deal with it and what things do you say to Wade? Nialls crawling sounds hilarious, would love to see in on video. Marley started with the pull and drag method on her tummy, now she has mastered the art now and just scoots around on all fours. Sometimes hands don't go as fast as legs and she topples face first into the ground.

IK - bugger about the keyboard! My uncle cleans computers etc for a living and he told me to just tip it upside down and shake hard to dislodge any bits, then get a paint or pastry brush to go along the keys. He uses alcohol wipes which are awesome for cleaning and he wraps the wipe around a bent out paperclip to get in between all the keys. Sorry, I know that is not much help to you now! You do need your study back. Is Oscar better today, what do you think woke him so early? At least you can talk about how you feel with regards to this situation. Some people would just keep it all in and let it fester and get much worse. I hope tonight you manage to offload some of it. If I can help in anyway, just ring me. Our babies are amazing therapy, hope he keeps you happy today.

Had a friend come over today with her 2 1/2 year old and Chelsea and him had a fab time outside in the sunshine. I even made some yummy scones with jam and cream! Now just have to clean up the mess while Marley is asleep.

Oh no IK! *hugs* all your issues sound very real to me from micro to macro. I agree, babies do tend to put things into perspective so just you enjoy that cheeky grin of Oscar's for a little while Kids and keyboards! yep BTDT regarding damage from spills... we claimed our last incident on our insurance because I was so pi$$ed off with it happening so much (we don't have any excess so it was worthwhile). Hope you have a therapeutic debrief with your friend/s tonight. Verbalising stuff does help you offload it a little as you would know Hopefully tonight you will be able to catch up on your lost sleep which will also help you feel less strung out. Sounds like you are in a similar state of mind to me yesterday... this too will pass! Oh and maybe by the time Oscar is Wade's age and TV is more appropriate/beneficial in small quantities then you might decide dig tv is for you... we don't watch much tv ourselves either as you know.... but it was really annoying me about the snowy SBS and i had another secret agenda in wanting to lure DH away from the 'pute of an evening... it worked, last night we watched MythBusters (SBS) together instead of him logging onto CrickInfo

ETA: sorry Mel, missed your post... regarding sibling violence: I don't know what to do really... Wade is becoming quite sneaky too which is distressing. The thing I am trying ATM is to try to instill sympathy in Wade like emphsising that "Niall is just a little baby, he never pushes you does he?" I know from work that comforting Niall each time an incident occurs should be done before repremanding the perpetrator. The last thing Wade wants to achieve is Niall getting even MORE attention. Speaking of which another incident is unfolding: Niall is trying to reach Wade's precious Thomas train...
    Last edited by Bathsheba; April 24th, 2007 at 03:14 PM.

hi there folks

Ik - sorry to hear what's going on in your part of the world. it bad enough when you hear these things on thew news and they are complete strangers never mind when you knew one of them/family etc. Hope you feel better after talking to your friends later.

bath - glad the dig tv is going well. Will does the Koala crawl too. Not all the time, mostly just on all fours but we catch him on hands and feet with bum in the air and just laugh. It's not very nice when the older ones pick on the younger ones. Osc has mostly stopped being harsh with Will as he has more fun with him when he's nice and they chase after each other squeling with laughter although if everything goes quiet i know i have to go check as something dodgy is happening. He does still take toys away from him and i'm just trying to be consistant and making him give them back. It certainly sounds like you are doing the right thing by comforting Niall before confronting Wade - good luck.

House stuff choosing on Saturday went ok except at the tile shop. Oscar completely lost it after we'd stopped him going out of the open door into the car park for the 3rd time and made him sit in his pram. We had to go through the whole tile selection sheet filing in with Oscar screaming like he was being slowly tortured - i was so mad with him. We had cleared the shop in about 10 mins - only one other set of people had stayed there! i think the manager couldn't wait for us to leave. As soon as we were out side Oscar was all bright and cheery which made me want to ring his neck even more!!!

Citizenship ceremony went off fine - only took 3 minutes with us holding the bible with the mayor and making the oath and that was it - all very bizarre! I'd caught the boys bad tummy so was glad it was over quick! Can't complain though as apart from frequent visits to the loo i'm feel fine. mmm reading back through this did you really want to know that?? probably not!

Anyway, hope all is ok

Julie x

Hiya Julie yeah, sometimes I think that Wade is "over it" regarding pushing/sitting on Niall.... but then he'll get frustrated with everything and poor Niall's the easiest target Good to hear your citizenship ceremony went smoothly... how does it feel to be an Aussie? I'd love to have dual citizenship with the UK... DH and I often ponder spending time over there working but we are too old now unless DH received a job transfer. We discovered that we both have distant relatives from the same little village near Oxford recently... would love to spend time there. Did you manage to choose some tiles? I'd love to spend a day doing that... but I can imagine how hard it must have been with a tanty! Oh and nevermind posting too much information (TMI) I think us Junies have shared info about every imaginable bodily substance/process in here at some time or another! LOL

Ik- Sorry to hear that things are still getting you down. I hope you find comfort into talking to someone about your feelings. I think something like this makes us realise just how precious our babies are, so enjoy time with your little man and savour his innocence.

Julie- I only just realised that you are a perthie too (sorry I blame it on placenta brain). How long have you been in Aus? We also immigrated out from the UK, althought we havebeen here 24 years this year.

Bath- Glad oyu managed tofind someone to watch the boys last inght and the P/T interview went well.

Well I feel like I have been hit by a truck, I have picked up the flu and my head feels like it weights a tonne. As for being pregnant I am coping fairly well, have had that much morning sickness and Tiredness is onyl just started kicking in in thelast day or too.

Tori took her first step last night (just one) but we all have to start somewhere. She has also started saying Ta when she wants something or you give her something.... she now says: Duck, dog, fish, ta, mum, dad and Tickle tickle....................so cute, I think she is going to be a chatter box just like me.
    We have decided to start using MCN as I just cant stand the idea of waste having 2 babies in disposable nappies, not to mention the cost, so I am slowly building up my stash a couple of nappies at a time.

Better go and finish dinner before my poor DH fads away :P

Bath - I know what you mean by being sneaky! Chelsea always seems to do things when I can't actually see her and when I ask her why Marley is crying she says "I didn't do anything", but I can tell she has. I will try to make sure I don't give Chelsea to much attention after an incident and see if that works.

Julie - your tile shopping sounds like an adventure! Did you manage to choose something? Glad to hear you aren't too sick with the tummy bug. Never apologise for TMI's, we are all guilty of it and this group doesn't mind lol!

Ali - your poor thing with the flu. It always feels so much worse when you are pregnant. Well done Tori on your first steps! How exciting. Times like that you need to capture it on video camera. All Marley does is squeal and babble, can't make out any words yet - its all sounds the same lol! Good idea with the nappies, they are so expensive as it is and it would be worse buying for 2.

IK - how are things going now?

How are you other 2 pregnant ladies faring, Rory, Nic?

What is everyone doing this Anzac Day? I am at home, DH is working this afternoon and I found a website that you can find relatives that were in the armed services. It is amazing and something our family has never talked much about (who was in the war etc). Thought a good idea to look it up today. Hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful sunshine (or those in Melb anyway!).

sorry, just quickly, my computer is still not well
    I marched in our ANZAC day parade today, then went to a friend's place for lunch - only up the road, but at least it was completely different scenery.
    Being out of the house and away from here seems to help my mind a bit, but then we come home and pass their house, and of course, our house is higher up than theirs, so we see it a lot. Not that I want to block them out at all, but it keeps me sad. I don't know, I'll talk some more to someone else tonight (who is involved in a way). The Peers last night said I had been doing all the right things, so that is nice to hear.
    I do, however, want my computer back! Better go before I lose heaps of info when this thing goes nuts again...

Hi All,

Bath - I've felt Aussie for a while now but now it is official it does seem more real and that we aren't just here for a while but permanently. Yes we managed to choose the tiles - tomorrow is the big selection interview at the builders so we can't change our minds after that.

Ali - Placenta brain - haha! I still have baby brain and am functioning at about 10% capacity!!! We've been in Aus for 4 1/2 years, starting off in Townsville then moving to Perth last Sept. Which part of the UK are you originally from? I'm a Nottingham lass and DH a Norfolk boy. Wow, Tori sounds like she is doing so well, taking a step and saying all those words. Will can only just stand and doesn't say anything yet! Hope you get over your flu quick and feel better soon.

Mel - The tile/brick/roof tile/block paving shopping was definitely an adventure! I kind of enjoyed it but was so distracted trying to 'manage' the kids!

Today i attacked the house and started cleaning - managed about 5% - bugger!! We then had a friends one year old birthday party which was nice but we can't help wondering what Will has caught this time. I know this sounds like and awful thing to say about our friends but as their kids go to day care they seem to have a permanent cold or cough or dodgy tummy and the last 3 times we have been round Will has ended up with something. It always take him about 3 weeks just to shake off a cold and sleeps so bad for the first week of them that we dread him coming down with another one so soon as he's only been cold free for about 3 weeks. Oscar went to daycare until just before Christmas so he was more coldy then and we completely understand that it's not their fault but i can't stop wanting to protect my little from germs. (Osc doesn't tend to catch much as he's built up a good defense system from being in daycare!)

Tomorrow is the fore-mentioned selection interview for the house and as it will be about 3 hours long we have put Oscar into daycare for the day. I'm dreading leaving him as i know he will get so upset especially as we're taking Willy with us but i'm trying to console myself that he will be far better playing with kids all day than being stuck in an office, bored out of his brain and probably getting into trouble for 3 hours!

Anyway, off to tackle the ironing pile in front of House. Hope you all had a nice Anzac day. it's so good that Australia has a week day dedicated to remembrance so no one can ever forget.

Julie x

Hi all,

just quickly popping in on my way to bed. Nixon & i got home tonight, he was good for me on the plane trip home thank god. It helped we had the whole 3 seats to ourselves so he wasnt so confined.
    I will try and upload some pics of Nixon's bday party tomorrow when im not so tired.
    Anzac day- hope everyone had a ncie day. My pop was in WW2 and always marched, he passed away 3yrs ago and no one has replaced him by marching. My dad didnt think he could the first 2 yrs but my bro was talking of doing in this yr. Dunno why he didnt but hopefully one of us will next year.
    pregnancy- i dont even feel pg at the moment. besides the bump sticking out of me LOL. i have my last OB appoint in melb on monday.
    Getting Nix 12m needles this Sat he has a Paed appoint Friday, MCHN appoint Monday, lots of last appointments and farewell goodbyes going on this week for me.
    crawling- Nixon is going well at crawling and standing, i think he'll be a bit off walking still.
    Words- he can say dad, mum, dog, no, nan, bub, i swear he can also say "yeah" a few times now i have asked him a question and by co-incidense or not he has responded with what sounds like a "yeah"

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast