Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2006 #4

Jen ~ It's so weird about my friend hey!? Well, she's sorta my friend (I was in hospital with her). I think also aswell as the choking factor there is the risk of allergies. You never know if your baby will be allergic to some type of foods, it is better to wait. I tried to explain to her that the best way to do it is give a little bit then wait a few days to see if there is any type of reaction but i don't know how well I got that point across. She seems very inexperienced, more than any other first time mum, in hospital I got worried about her a few times cos her little boy was crying a lot and at one stage she was telling him to shutup. Her MIL told me that she has been damaged a little from abuse as a child and that was why she was a bit funny. I ended up telling her and her hubby that they could ring me whenever they needed to have a chat. She has done that so I guess thats all I can do for her.
    Bessi ~ I put my 1st DS on solids as soon as he hit the 4 month mark, he was a big baby and very hungry. Breastmilk wasn't satisfying enough for him, he was 9lb 7 (4.42kg) born and was around the same weight as Zeke at the same stage, (8.3kgs). Also if you look in your blue book at the growth charts as long as he is at the same level in regards to his length, weight and head circumference things should be fine.
    My neice is 10kgs and she is only 6 months old, the health nurse has said she is overweight because her measurements aren't around the same mark. Her head and length measurements are in the right place but her weight is well above the 50% mark. That could be because everytime she squawks my sister shoves food into her mouth or a bottle!

Hope all bubs and mums are doing well.

As much as Liam would love to eat as he eyes us off when we do, he too will be waiting till 6 months for a few reasons. Firstly, it would be one extra thing i need to do every day and if i can hold him off for a few more weeks all well and good. Secondly it is not as though he feeds and is still hungry or getting restless because he is not satisfied. If anything i am making sure he eats 5 times a day, sometimes he would go with 4 but because of his size i want to keep trying to feed him more often.

For those bubs with colds and all the coughing/chocking we ended up buying a vapourizer when Liam was sick and it did wonders for him and us! I hope they all get better soon.

Disney on ice was great. Even DH admited he enjoyed it....Victory to me!!!! Brad was a bit bored when there was a segment of snow white, and all the other girly stuff but other than that he loved it. Liam watched about 3/4 of it also. I guess he loved the light changes and all the movement. we had great seats and Brad and my niece could see with no obstructions.

Well i got a call from my grandmas nursing home on thursday to tell me she had fallen and broken her hip:eek: . She had surgery today and thankfully made it through that. She is almost 93 so we were unsure if her heart and lungs would get her through the anesthetic, but thankfully it did . Needless to say the phone bill and text messages are increasong by the day so i can keep mum updated. She should rest easier now knowing she pulled through the op.

Take care and enjoy your weekends. I have two kids i need to go and put to bed. DH's bro and fam just left, we watched the footy and dinner so Brad is well and truely ready to sleep!

Hi girls

Kas - thoughts and prayers with your grandma. Your poor mum must be very worried, and that's the worst timing, isn't it? Glad you all enjoyed Disney on Ice!

Steph - you are a very nice person to be offering help to the lady you met in hospital. It sounds like she needs it. OMG at Archer's size at birth!! What a big boy!

Ivana - I had ezcema very badly as a child, although not a baby, and mostly grew out of it. I am a bit prone to dry skin still, but no eczema now. I am very sensitive to all perfumes and a lot of other things as a result. I'm sure your dr/paed will give you the best advice for Tallon, but I thought I'd pass on a couple of things I did learn. For a little one, QV wash is the best (you can get it from pharmacies). The only moisturiser I would recommend is Kenkay sorbolene cream (also from chemists). A lot of other sorbolene creams, even though they say they have no perfumes, etc, made me react badly. I have a friend who's a paed nurse and she says that's the only one they use in the hospital too, so that made me feel better! I have only been using that on Lucy, just in case, although she seems to be fine atm. You can use it in the bath as well if you want to.

Well, we're having a good weekend, although Lucy is waking up more often to feed (my poor bbs are going to have so much milk when she cuts back, I just know I'm going to have to watch out for mastitis again). She's lasting only six hours, which is a bit of a come-down for the 10 1/2 I got last week! She's stopped crying when she goes down for a nap now and seems happy just to look around on her own until she falls asleep. I would always stay with her until she fell asleep, but now she looks away from me so I don't bother, esp since she isn't crying. She's not needing the dummy at night time and often ditches it during the day naps as well. *Sniff* my little girl is growing up!

Must go, housework to do... Hope you're all having good weekends!

Thanks Jen - we're trying out a product called medihoney at the moment. lots of natural ingredients. Will give it a couple of days and see if it improves things. if not, I'll be off to the dr about it. I'm pretty sure it's not bothering him.. he's sleeping well at night.. except for the odd night here and there, i think it worries me more than him. hehe. it just looks terrible.. his whole body is flaky and dry. It did have a red kinda rash under it at one stage, but that seems to have gone.. maybe the medihoney is working

Kas - thinking of you and your family. Hope your grandma recovers ok.

Jen - on the dummy thing.. we only use the dummy if he's already fed and isn't asleep yet. But often he chomps on it and talks to me with his mouthful! He's getting in the habit of talking himself to sleep in my arms. hehe. it's lovely actually I have on occasion put him in his cot and he's just looked around and fallen asleep. Doesn't always work tho. hehe.

Hey everyone...

I havent really got much to say, just that last time we weighed bub she was just back up to her birth weight, was just a week or 2 out of hosiptal, so that was around 4kg... now she weights 7.7!!! shes a biggin!! Shes now in 00 clothes, but they still have lots of room for her to grow- but its much better than squishing her into 000. Tops are fine, its the pants that are the problem.

Anyway... shes been a bit weird with her feeding. A few times this week shes put on a turn for more about an hour after her bottle, so has had an extra 40-60 after her 210m bottle. We started at the bottom and just worked our way up to what made her happy- and for the last 1.5 months its been the 210x4.

This is why i was asking about the food thing... i thought that maybe topping her up with some food might be the way to go, but i dont really know where to start and im just not sure about it so as i said before, ill wait to talk to her pead, and just give her top up botles when she needs them...

Kas- I hope your grandma is doing well

Ivana- I hope this new medihoney works!!

Oh, as for dummies.... Abby has one, sometimes she likes it, other times she will push it out and use her fist instead. Oh! Its a must have when feeding her tho! After her bottle is finished, and i take it away, she sooks like shes still hungry. I put her dummy in, she has a suck and calms down long enough to realise shes just had a bottle and her tummy is full!! Then its all smiles again. Shes such a funny little baby.
    Last edited by lovemybubs; July 23rd, 2006 at 01:35 PM.

Is anyone else's baby making the strangest little/big sounds? Lucy has discovered she can squeal and is doing so quite loudly! On the upside, since she's using all these new sounds she seems to be crying less.

Jen ~ Yes! Cailan is doing the same, he is squealing so loudly, and the first time that he did it he started crying because he scared himself so much! He is also making this sound oooo, and it is cute. It really is gorgeous when they start having a chat to them selves.

Imran is making lots of new sounds now too. I love all the early vocalisation. I have a little video of Yasin when he is 6 months old and he sounds just like a bird LOL.
    re the solids - I'm not planning on introducing them until after 6 months. Imran is a giant bubba (I'm not sure how much he weighs because I never visit the nurse but he's wearing a few size 0's now and he's almost as big as my freind's 7 month old) but I think my boobies will be able to keep up. Until they're about 6 months breastmilk provides everything they need and I'm like Kas in that I see it as one more thing to do LOL and thier poos get a whole heap more smelly once the solids are introduced.

Ivana, I've read somewhere that putting some oatmeal wrapped in a cloth in the bath helps with exzma. I use the kenkay sorbalene on Imran's little patch and it seems to keep it at bay.

Kas, I hope your Grandma is doing well. Hugs for you and your Mum.

Jenny, Imran has always rejected the dummy but now he can get his hand in his mouth most of the time so he's becoming a bit of a thumbsucker.

I took Imran swimming yesterday. He's so cute in the water and he looks so happy being swished about. I gave him his first dunk too and he looked so funny and suprised afterwards.
    I should go to bed but I've got clothes in the dryer and I can't sleep while the dryer is on because I'm paranoid about the lint catching fire and being burnt to death in my sleep. I know its really silly but knowing that its irrational doesn't stop the paranoia. DH never even knew about the lint until last week and now he's convinced that it must be usefull in some way and if only he could figure out what to do with it he could make a fortune buying people's lint and processing it ROFL. He thought it would be good insulation so I had to explain how combustible it was LMAO if I lived in a house insulated with lint I would never sleep again.

LOL Dach. Your DH sounds like mine.. trying to turn everything into some sort of money making scheme!

ROFLMAO Dach - your DH can use ours if he wants it!! I swear I do so much washing and drying I must have more lint than anyone!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Dachlostar - lol re your DH - does he watch BB? The ninjas on BB had a suggestion for lint the other week - extra filling for pillows...lol!

Steph that is a bit scary about your friend! A pity they don't come with manuals - sounds like she could use one!

Jennifer - Cooper is making the Loudest noises out, I am positive Campbell was not that noisy. He used to be quite content to lay on his matt for a couple of hours. Not Cooper, if he is bored or tired I know about it!

Girls I am so proud - Cooper has learnt how to roll from front to back! I am so excited, he has also started to figure out that if he kicks a certain way he can move around a little.

I will probably wait till 5 1/2 months till I start him on Solids. Campbell was a terrible eater and has allergies, and I waited till 6 months, sometimes I wonder if I had've started a little earlier if he may have been a little better?????

Well Cooper is starting to whinge, I had better go and put him back to bed!

Smile

Liam is also "talking" he does it when he thinks we cant hear him and when he sees us he stops like he is all embarrased cause he gets this cute little smile and turns his head when you comment on it. He went in the jolly jumper for the first time last week and loved it (did i already tell you this???? sorry if i have) i don't leave him in it for long as his head starts to drop after a while, but he really enjoys being upright. He almost rolled the other day. I went to change him and was greated by the most horendous (?sp) running and smelly poo. I couldn't lay him back in it so i put him on the floor on his tummy while i ran the bath and he managed to get all the way to his side a few times but just couldn't get all the way over. So it shouldn't be soon. He does somehow manage to spin around alot though so he can see what he wants.

On the solids thing.......... Dh was holding Liam the other night so i put his coffee on the table next to him and put a tim tam in Liams hand. He didn't even pay attention to it until DH moved it to his mouth. I warned him not to but he let Liam suck on it but then I though what can one little suck do to him?!?!?!? Well DH ate most of it with Liam watching the whole time. DH decided to let him "taste" a bit more and when he went to take it off him he cried and cried. As soon as he gave it back he happily sucked and munched away. He took it off him again and the tears started again. Thankfully there was not alot left but he made a mess all the same. In total he prob only had a piece the size of a 5c coin. But now i guess i will have to write that his first solids was a tim tam and not rice cereal or weet bix .

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for my Grandma. She should be going back to the nursing home today or tomorrow.

Dach - i hadn't though about swimming for Liam yet. Is is far to cold. I will prob start proper lessons at the start of next year when Brad is at school. But i am sure he will have swim time with us before then. Your DH is funny..trying to capitalize on lint.

Relle - well done to Cooper for rolling

Ivana - how is the ezecma treatment going. i hope there is some relief in sight.

Emz - sound like Abby is doing well. LOL at the dummy after the bottle. It's funny how they settle sometimes isn't it?

Thats all from me i have washing to hang out and more to put on.
    Take care and Hi to all those i missed.

Kas,

If your going to count the Tim Tam as Liam's first solids... then Abby has already had solids too! haha it was something very similar to your story... Bit of a chomp on a choc bickie and boy did she love it!! I took it away and her little fists started shaking and she was doing her "more more" sound- it goes something like: "uh uh uh uh uh" hahah very cute. My mum is a HUGE fan of putting things into Abby's hand "just for a taste". Im forever telling her not to! The lastest time, i went to another room to get all the nappy changing stuff, and when i got back, there was Abby, stripped down to her singlet and nothing else, with a bickie in one hand and the other arm behind her head. Apparently she was "hot and hungry"!!!!! It was the funniest thing ever!! I took a few pics then took it off her... more fists and "uh uh uh".... Its the best pic ever!! She looks like shes been doing it her whole life! I would post the pic on my website, but i dont want the MIL to see it... email me if you want to see it! [email protected]

yay! we're going to our antenatal class reunion tonight.. I get to meet all the bubbas!

Ivana, thats sooo cool! I was really looking forward to ours... but then i checked the date and id got it wrong by 2 days so we missed out. I was crushed!!! Im so dumb sometimes!

We took Abby out for lunch today.... its interesting. She is a great feeder all the time but EVERYTIME we go to this particular place, she gerks up something shocking all over one of us. Tim got it today, I got it last time. Its such an odd coinsidence!! Im going to make sure she is fed before we go there next time!!!! Didnt have time to feed her before we left this time, as it was i had to get her out of bed to go, poor little munchkin.

Hehe Em, that photo of Abby is too cute!!!

How did you go at your antenatal class reunion, Ivana?

Well, although Lucy has been waking once or twice during the night and needs to be settled (not fed, obviously just wants to know I'm around) last night she went for 11 hours between feeds! I woke up at 6:10am and freaked out because I thought she must have stopped breathing or something. It was all I could do not to rush in to check on her (although I checked that the monitor was on and I could hear her!). I thought my bbs were going to explode and expressed a whole container while I fed her (both sides too). I'm so scared of getting mastitis again.

Hi to all and hope you're having a good day. I'm catching up on paperwork and that kind of thing while Lucy has a nap. Or at least I'm supposed to be!

hey Jen, glad you liked the pic. It is a bit tooo funny.

its cool that Lucy had a big sleep... tho if you breast feed do you want your babies to go that long? Do breast feeding mums get really sore bb's when bub startes to sleep thru? I spose the suple goes down?? Not a clue here!!

Abby just chucked a mental. haha again more formula. I know this time its because she slept thru her last bottle last night... didnt wake up for it so no wonder shes been so hungry thismorning. She was all smiles and giggling at my silly noises then she took a deep breath, and wammoooo she was crying like i hadnt fed her in a week or something!! shes so funny. Even her crys are so sweet and cute. I spose i wouldnt be saying that if it werent such an odd thing for us to have her chuck a fit like that. I think this was about the 3rd time eva.

Anyway... i SHOULD be either leaning my Italian homework or leaning the rest of the songs for my audition tomorrow.... hmm but here i am on the computer. I better go and get started.

Jen, love ur ticker.... either its new or ive only just noticed it!! Lucy is such a little cutie pie! I love the baby pic tickers... Ivana Tallon looks amazingly cute in yours. he looks like so much fun!

ok enough wasting time.... got to get cracking!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast