Thread: Babies Born May 16th - 31st 2008 #2

Default Babies Born May 16th - 31st 2008 #2

This thread is for parents who's baby was born May 16th - 31st 2008

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Astrolady ~ Administrator
    Trillian ~ Senior Moderator
    Dachlostar ~ Senior Moderator
    MistyFying

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Please note - To receive thread notifications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Your old thread is http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/your...st-2008-a.html

Lis - the weight gane is fantastic, the nurse told me if they gain 100g a week that is perfect, i think Hamish is just a guts. As for being exhausted it is tiring physically and mentally with a newborn. I agree with nana you are doing everything for Emma and it is exhausting. Yesterday was a shocker for me i didnt get in shower until 3pm, no housework got done except dishes. Hamish was really testing me, but i got through it.
    Last night he slept like a dream and still is, i fed him at 10pm then he woke at 5.15 and is still asleep now at 9am. Not sure i did anything different other than dp bathed him at around 9pm later than usual, maybe that was it.
    Sarah i hope you are all better soon and you dont get sick yourself.
    Nana congrats on Aadi weight gain, its good to know bubs is getting enough milk.
    Hope everyone had a better night last night.

yay! much better night, though 3 hour sleeps probably dont seem that much better to most of you who are lucky enough to have a baby that sleeps for 5 hours or more! It's an improvement for me, that extra half hour is a blessing, and I look forward to it stretching out a bit more from now on.
    The mastitis is almost completely cleared up, which is brilliant. Didn't want to get the prescription filled for antibiotics, coz I know they would have made Aadi unsettled and miserable too. Now to keep on top of the feeding situation so it doesn't happen again...
    It seems ironic that after seeing the nurse yesterday and her amazement at how Aadi is always awake, he slept for most of the day after that! Even with me bashing the pram about getting on and off the bus (which was full of noisy schoolkids!), going to the doctors, rushing about in the cold and windy weather and going to the supermarket on the way home! And he even slept long enough for DP and I to eat dinner together, instead of our usual tag-team effort. I hope this is the start of a good thing!
    Hey oldmate! nice to have a guy along for the thread. Hope you're picking up some useful pointers from us all, and you avoid some of the troubles before they arise!

Juliette is still all stuffy so nt having much fun here, she just wants to be cuddled most of the time. We're going for a walk soon, so that will technically be the first time I take both kids out by myself. I was thinking of being naughty & driving, but there's no point to drive 10 minutes get all three of us out, check the PO Box & then get back in the car. It's cool, but not too cold today so should be alright.

hi ladies

Nana good to hear that you had a better night sleep last night. Abbie was ok sleeping last night but she woke up at 12:00 and once i finished feeding her i had not even sat her up yet and she did a massive power vomit all over me. Not too sure why this happened maybe she wasn't hungry who knows?????????

Sarah hope you are all better soon...

Abbie has been ok apart from the power vomit night, she is probably the chuckiest baby i have had. Ican't believe how big she is getting already. Its sad that they grow up so quickly and get their own personality already.

She is getting cranky so i better be off and hope everyone has a great day and a great weekend if i don't make it in on the weekend.

Nikki

Hi all... wow thread 2 already....

Well had an ok night once i finally got Tiahna to sleep... fed her at 9.30 took me till 11.30 to get her to sleep but she slept til 4.50am... Yay a great sleep for her... then slept til 7.15

Had our 4 week check and Wow what a hige surprise and relief... She has gained 600g since our 2 week check... So happy...

Obviously my concerns about not having enough milk were all in my head... on another note she is now on zantac for silent reflux... hoping this helps her pains after feeds..

LMK- How often does she vomit- could Abbie maybe have reflux if shes vomiting like that??? but good thing is she's gaining weight not likly they'll do much if it is if she's gaining weight.

Nana- yay on the mastitis being almost gone.... and without the meds too..

well GTG sorry no more personals Tiahna just puked on me

Another great night's sleep - 4 HOURS!! I looked at the clock and saw that it was four hours since he went to sleep, and was silently elated... felt so good. OK, so he woke up every 2 hours after that, but it was such a good feeling to get that initial long sleep, I felt like I'd slept 8 hours! We went out in the city earlier, and Aadi was awake the whole time, but I only had to squeeze in one feed, and I changed him on the front seat of the car. DP is looking forward to the time when he can tell Aadi about the time he was butt-nekkid in the middle of Bourke Street on a Saturday! LOL! Since we got home, though, he's been feeding every hour or so, and just napping for 20-40 minutes. He's unstoppable. DP doesn't understand (but is grateful anyway) how I manage to get so much done during the week when I've got a velcro-baby attached to me all the time!

LMK - don't you love those power-vomits?! I got one like a fire-hose right down the inside of my sleeve the other morning. nothing like the feeling of chunky yoghurt in your elbow... ew! I feed Aadi almost upright, and sometimes completely upright lately coz of the blocked milk ducts, and it seemed to help a bit. Although he did a huge burp while still latched on yesterday - ooh that felt yuk!
    It is surprising how fast they grow...

Jess - good news on the weight gain. I'm sure your milk supply is just the right amount. Good luck with the reflux treatment. How are you coping?

Sarah - how did your walk go? Hope Juliette's feeling better.

Good morning ladies. Hope you are all getting a beautiful lazy Sunday morning sleep-in. For me, the mornings are the only time I get some "me time".

Thanks for the welcome - Abb34 and Jess. Yes, Jess I was in the same belly buddies group - I just wasn't very chatty about pregnancy stuff for a while there in the middle so I stayed low for a while.

Happy to report that things are going well. Bubs is having excellent weight gains on booby milk alone. I am so happy, and relieved! My supply takes a while to get going and it is a relief to stop using formula.

As for the sleeping, bubs has regularly had 4 (and sometimes even 5!!) hours sleep a night in one go since birth (we have had the occasional bad night but not too many!). Feeding is then 2-3 hourly after that - and then there is the cluster feeding 2 hours before bedtime, so I am not too tired and a little bit lucky I guess. He does get a bit unsettled with wind though! Does anyone have any remedies for that?

I hope everything is improving on the cold front Sarah. Have you been naughty and driven yet? I am contemplating doing the same next week, but just me alone. I can't handle getting 2 children in and out of the car yet - especially the heavier and more defiant one!!

To the other c-section mums - when did you start driving again? Do any of you drive manual cars? The hospital physio said no driving for the first month. My OB said take things easy for 6 weeks. The month is up next week - another 2 weeks for the 6 weeks. It doesn't hurt too bad but I don't want to do anything silly. When the scar hurts it is mainly on the left side ie CLUTCH SIDE. Everything I have read about driving and c-section said you should feel comfortable pressing the brake pedal in hard enough in an emergency. But what about the clutch pedal - I have to push that in further and a lot more often than the brake in a manual - do you think I will jeopardise the healing process driving a manual too soon? We don't have any auto cars in our family.

I need to get out to appointments - plus I JUST need to get out!!!!

I was hoping to take the double pram down to the local market this morning. Looks a bit cold outside, but there is a little bit of sunshine that will probably last its usual 5 minutes. Crap winter weather in Melbourne ATM - although did manage a decent walk in the sunshine on Friday.

Sorry, no more time for personals - Bubs has just woken for his breakfast and DH can't do the job!

TICKLISH

Ticklish, my insurance doesn't cover me for 6 weeks, so check with them first. I drove a little yesterday (5 minutes) and that was right on 6 weeks.

Be back later for a longer post, we had dad's 60th last night & didn't get home until 1am then had Zander dramas at 3am, feeding etc with Juliette, so I'm exhausted.

Ticklish i am also a c scetion mum and wont be driving until the 6 weeks is up, mainly for insurance reasons. I have felt fine for ages. I too want and need to get out of this house on my own, I am going crazy stuck here unless someone takes me out. I would talk to GP at your 6 week check up and ask. I have manual and auto cars but will be driving to auto as its bigger and the car seats are in there.

Sarah I hope Juliette gets better soon poor darling

NaNa glad you got some good sleep in last night, 4 hrs straigh is a blessing.

Jess congrats on the awesome weight gain, it must be a big releif to know Tiahna is doing well and you are also doing well in the BF dept.

LMK glad to hear you are also doing well and I am also amazed at how early the personality starts to show. Liam is starting to get really alert now which is great.

Abb34 glad Hamish is sleeping well also. I bet you feel great after a long sleep.

Well Liam is doing really well. He is spending more time awake which is nice and he is starting to giggle and he is smiling at us which is nice. He has done a few 6 hr stints in between feeds overnight which is awesome and I am feeling a lot better with the bit extra sleep. Today was my sleep in day so I got to hand the boys over to DH at 7am after I fed Liam and went back to bed till 10am (it was magic)
    Liam will be 6 weeks on wednesday so its in the car and out we go on thursday I cant wait to hop in the car and get out there. We have 6 week check up tomorrow so will be good to see how he is and talk about my scar etc. I do have a few pains in the left but I think thats cause I started lifting Jordan to early. Its easing off now so hope all insides are healing ok.

take care everyone

Thanks Sarah and Deancey. I checked with my insurance last week and I can drive now and they will cover me if I have medical advice that it is okay. Physio said one month. Dr didn't specifically mention it but said take things easy for 6 weeks and no lifting anything other than Bubs. So basically if I do drive and bingle the car, I'd need a medical certificate to say that it was safe for me to drive. My insurance company doesn't have a blanket restriction on not driving after surgery.

Deancey - I am so with you in needing to get out.

My night wasn't too bad. I think we had 2 lots of 4 hours between feeds but I am a bit hazy on details at the time of night but I recall a 7.30ish feed, a 11.15pm feed and a 3.15am feed and then a 4.30am feed because he decided he wanted more than just the one side he took at 3.15am.

The other exciting thing that happened last week is that he is started to smile - it is just starting slowly only little ones but definitely smiles. He even smiled at our MCH nurse last week too so I know I am not imagining it because she said it was a definite smile too. We are also getting the curled lip and little cries when he doesn't like something, like the toy his brother stuck near his face yesterday. And he has started making that gorgeous baby gurgle noise too. It is so excting when they start to respond!

Hope everyone has had a good night and you are all bright eyed and bushy tailed for the day ahead.

TICKLISH
    Last edited by ticklish; June 30th, 2008 at 07:34 AM.

why is it the one time Aadi sleeps like a gem, the stupid stupid neighbours have another party till 3am (3 nights in a row now, not counting or anything...) and DP HAS to get up at 4 and watch the football?? Oooh, I think I'm doomed... no rest for the wicked!

Morning everyone
    Nana i would be counting, one party is ok but 3 nights in a row i think i would be going insane, you poor thing fingers crossed they dont make it 4.
    Ticklish it is wonderful when they start smiling, hamish smiled at our mchn and at my mum which she was very excited about.
    deancey it is a great feeling when i wake up and look at the clock to realise he has slept 5 hours it makes me feel much more refreshed and almost alive.lol

Jess congrats on the weight gain, its good to know the are getting enough milk isnt it?

Lovemykids its always disturbing when they vomit like that, hamish did his first power vomit yesterday on dp and all over the floor, i think he panicked a bit.

We had a good weekend apart from the weather(rain and wind). Hamish slept well at night and is feeding alot better now. I have my first time away from him this afternoon which is a little exciting but worrying also. Im having my hair done (a present from dp for my birthday a few weeks ago) my mum is looking after him for a few hours. I cant wait to have my hair cut and coloured again, i hope i can enjoy it without worrying about him. I shouldnt worry my mum had 5 children and has 13 grandchildren so she knows what she is doing.
    I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Morning all,

Well the weekend wasnt too bad. Friday night was ok few night feedsa but saturday night Tiahna had another screaming attack and everytime we'd settle her down and then put her in the bassinette or pram she's last 5 mins and scream for another hour... DP's first time at hime while this happened and he just couldnt handle it... He'd take her for 5 mins and pass her back... in the end by 2.30 i had decided to just let her cry herself to sleep but it gets inside your head and makes me feel like i could scream cos i dont know what else to try... I had the pillow over my head trying to think of something else to try when DP took her in the lounge room into the rocker and like magic she went to sleep... he brought it in and she slept in it till 5am...

So last night i just put her straigh in the rocker to sleep for the night and she feel asleep at 11, woke up at 2, then 5 so not too bad... mind you it was cold this morning even with the heat on...

Sunday we had our first BIG outing.... she was wonderful... slept in the car and i fed her at our friends house we had lunch and she woke up just as it was being served up but i had brought a bottle of EBM so i was able to eat while someone else fed her... But gosh i paid for it later... My boobs were so sore on the way home and when i got hom i had to express both sides as they were leaking like a tap and so engorged they were killing me... been trying to express from one side and feed from the other every few feeds so i can increase my supply for when i return to work i can have no problems with expressing... Tiahna is fussy with the bottle though... I have several different types and she seems to only ATM like the tommy tippee ones... There for combining breast and bottle???

Nana- you poor thing...hopefully it wont be an ongoing thing...

Ticklish and deancey- i feel for you... i love getting out of the house. when i had DP home we were out from the first week with the 2 kids and now i make at least 1 weekly trip either to the to the park lor ocal shops (woolies and Big W) or try to get to the bigger ones even if i dont buy anything just to get out of the house away from all the house work i struggle to get done

And yes an awesome weight gain deancey... finally some reassurance that she's getting enough....

nana- things are ok in the reflux department but every few nights we get a bad one...hoping it only lasta a few months at most and eases up... aweful to see your bub in pain and discomfort..

well best be off, have to do some laundry

well we had a terrible night last night. Liam woke at 1pm for feed, he fed really well and did a few good vomits but each time I put him down he screamed like he had more wind. I would burp him he would vomit more and I would put him down only for him to scream again. This went on for 2 hrs. After he did a massive projectile vomit all over his cradle and the floor he finally settled. He woke up again at 5.30am for a feed so went 4.5 hrs so I was happy but Jordan also woke up so I have been up since 5.30. We took the boys swimming, Jordans lesson this morning and then went to doc for check up.
    All is fine. I am going on mini pill as we have decided we dont want anymore kids. DH has also got referal for the snip so I dont have to take the pill for ever.
    I have been told I can drive again BONUS so will be getting out and about ASAP
    Just expressed boobs to make a bottle up, got 180 ml and then Liam woke for a feed. It took ages as I didnt get another let down so he was a little unsettled at the breast. He has settled to sleep though quite well so think he will wake up earlier than usual for a feed which is ok.
    Glad to see everyone is doing well.

Well we survived our first outig with just the three of us We went to a play centre with my sister & my other sister's stepkids Kinda complicated huh!). I've also now had a few public breastfeeds & managed there - the first (and next two LOL) were on my dads 60th birthday cruise on Saturday & then at the centre today.

Nice work on the 180ml of BM Deancey I have to start expressing more because I have a 1/2 day of work in two weeks. Does anyone know how much I'll need?? Juliette will be right on 2 months & I'll be gone 6am-1pm.

Has anyone that's using (or going to be) EBM seen Adiri bottles? I saw them online yesterday & they look really cool, very much like a boob LOL! They're pretty expensive though.

Hi All

Well we have been out and about alot lately. The last 3 weekends in a row we have been going up the coast and staying Saturday and Sunday night with different family members so they can see bub. Zali has travelled really well and enjoyed staying at Pops house, Grandmas house and Aunties house.

All going well, Zali also has now changed her unsettled time to later in the evening, used to be 6:30ish now 9:30-11:30pm just won't settle and has alot of wind. I now just lay her on my tummy and pat her back ... this seems to work well, she falls asleep, wakes up screaming in pain lifting her legs up and I pat her back some more she passes wind then goes back to sleep, this goes on for an hour or so then eventually I put her back in her own bed at about 1:30am.

Zali is so active, she just moves around alot and she insists on sitting on the couch with me as she hates just laying in her cot, so during the day she spends a few hours awake sitting in the corner of the couch propped up so she can look around. Very cute to see.

Ticklish - I was cleared by my doctor to drive at 3 weeks, they checked the scar pressed on my tummy and all was good so they wrote a letter stating I was OK to Drive. I also called my insurance and they said as long as I had the letter saying I was OK to drive by a doctor I was covered. You need to make sure you can twist left and right too as well as being able to put your foot on the floor comfortably.

Sorry ladies will catch up another time, Zali has just woken up with a big vomit and screaming. GTG!

Cheers

Mecil

Sarah well done on surviving your 1st outing alone, its a real confidence booster I think once you have done it. If you are leaving 6am to 1pm, being 7 hrs plus travel I would have 2 bottles of EBM available for her as you may end up missing 2 feeds depending on when you last fed her before you leave. If you are unable to get 2 bottles you can buy formula in sachet form. I bought these when I went back to work so if the EBM wasnt enough whoever had Jordan could make a formula top up. I intially bought a tin but you have to use it within certain time of opening and we threw the hole thing out as only made 1 bottle from it.

Mecil Its good to see you have worked out a way to solve the wind pains for Zali. I might try lying Liam on his tummy as he gets bad wind from time to time and I cant relieve it.

Well last night I was dead to the world as soon as I hit the pillow. Liam was due to be fed at 9.30 however at 10.30 he still wasnt awake so DH and I went to bed. ABout 11ish I woke to find DH not in bed so I went into the kitchen. He was heating up EBM and had Liam with him. He said he tried to wake me 5 times but I was dead to the world ( I must have been tired from 4.5 hrs sleep night before ) I slept thru then till 3am and got back to bed at 5am as Liam had bad wind. I also expressed a bottle whilst I was up.
    Jordan got me up at 7am so I had a good sleep today. I have just put Jordan to bed, he actually asked to go to bed (shock horror)
    Liam is due for next feed about 3.30 so I have some ME time now YEAH

Hope everyone is having a good day
    XX

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast