123412 ...

thread: Babies Born May 1st ~ 15th 2009

Jul 2008
    Adelaide, SA

Nat - yay for the waistline! I had to do the jeans dance but I got them on haha

Well last night wasn't so bad, he fed and changed at 1am then slept till 4am I fed him in the dark this time and he brought up the wind himself and settled back to sleep straight away. He woke again at 6am so I fed and changed him again without turning the light on as there was enough light in the room for me to see, again he settled quickly then he slept until 8.30. So i think keeping the light off has made a difference coz he's not getting that stimulation and confusing night and day time.
    And Nat - I have been doing that with the dummy too. He settles better with a full belly and a dummy but I didn't realise that about not realising they're full.
    I had to top up DS2 with formula, worked great with him. I was able to do both with him till 4 months, then it just got too hard my milk started running out coz I was so exhausted running around after an 18 month old and nursing a baby. So as long as it's working it's worth doing.
    Everything is just trial and error, see what works for each baby. Whatever we must do for bit of shut eye!

Oct 2008

Hi all - I'm having quite a freak out moment right now. I just got a call from my step mum saying my brother has chicken pox - apparently he had a rash come up on his arm on Sunday that faded out but today he has full blown chicken pox. My brothers were with Liam on Friday so I'm really worried that he has been exposed. We're taking him to the GP soon, but does anyone have any info on babies and chicken pox? I'm having a massive panic attack!

Oct 2008
    Canning Vale, Perth

CHECKUP UPDATE: have posted same in both belly n baby buddies threads.
    had the creepy male midwife again lucky me
    he did an internal (it hurt reallllly bad) and said im fully effaced but not dialated at all so couldnt do a S&S. said i will most likely go naturally in the next few days but booked in for an induction next tues arvo when i will be 40+9(the hossy i go to dont like you going more than 10 days over)...i was hoping id be a lil bit dialated but oh well...at least i have a date now!

they said with the induction i go in tues 4pm and they put in a prostin gel and then the next morning brake my waters and then go from there...is that normal induction stuff? havent read up much on it.

hope you guys with bubbies already are doing well!

Jul 2008
    Adelaide, SA

Tatt - yeah that's the same induction method my cousin had. It's pretty common. At least u kno by next week ul have ur precious baby Jade in ur arms!

Kelly - that would be a bit scary. I dont have any advice. But i'd definately be going to the gp as u are just to make sure.

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Hi All

Just a quick note from me. I am home from the hospital. Xanthe is an absolute dream. She sleeps well and feeds like a trouper! Be back with an update when I have slept .

Jul 2008
    Adelaide, SA

Awww that's great candice. Glad she's settling in well.

Just had the midwife over, our beautiful boy is over his birth weight, 3.6kg now. Mumma's got the good stuff! Haha so even if I'm constantly feeding, it's working. So I'm happy. he.s been really unsettled today. Just wants to be cuddled. I'd rather he be unsettled thru the day rather than night tho.
    He's just so beautiful so the cuddles are welcomed! Teehee :P

Apr 2007
    Inner South East suburbs Melbourne

Dee, aren't cuddly babies the best? Not much good for getting dinner cooked though.

Candice so glad things are going well with your wee one. I love her name. What a marathon you had getting her into the world!

Tattoo, yes that sounds about right. After they put the gels in they will probably put a monitor on for a while to make sure there is no uterine hyperstimulation (a risk with prostin). It may be enough to put you into labour - or an amniotomy may. And they will probably titre the syntocinon gradually if they use it to see how much is needed to get you going. I haven't personally found induction to be *much* more painful than natural childbirth (except for Tom's arrival when the contractions didn't hurt really at all). One thing to watch out for with induction is that it can take a little longer for your milk to come in. I always suggest a lot of skin to skin snuggling in that case. Also, some hospitals have a policy of continuous foetal monitoring during an induction - see if they'll let you use the scalp clip instead of the external monitoring, as you will be able to move around more easily.

Kelly, I wouldn't fret too much - your breastmilk will be providing your baby with antibodies against cp for now so even if Liam does get it, he would probably only get an extremely mild dose.

And the next person who says they are fitting into their pre-pregnancy clothes is going to make me all huffy. I think I'll be wearing my maternity pants for a while yet... still, I figure after six kids I'm allowed to take a little longer to get back into shape

Nat, all the best with keeping up with Phillip!!

I had a big cry while I was cuddling Tom this morning. I thought of how much I loved him and how lucky he was to have all this adoring family, and then I felt very sorry for myself. Apart from my sister, I have no family of my own who are vaguely interested in me. My brother is estranged and my dad is a psycho, and everyone else is overseas. I felt so alone. But then I remembered my bevvy of children and dh and his family and thought, so many people don't have that. I'm really very lucky that I've been able to fill the void with these wonderful people. I do miss my mum, though.

Jul 2008
    Adelaide, SA

TM - it must be hard not having family around, but as u said, u have now created a family all of ur own. And u show them all love and u all bring eachother happiness so at least u can rest knowing that u will always be close with them and they will always be close with eachother. My mum wasn't around for a large part of my life and it only made me realise how close I want to be with my kids and how important it is to show how much u love them.
    The love shared in ur family is what most families would only dream of! and what a lucky little boy to have so many adoring big sisters!

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

TMTM sorry to hear that you dont really have family around excited. It really makes it harder.

I am so engorged right now it is not funny! I just couldn't handle it anymore and expressed 60 mls *from each side!* and that was after she had fed from each side. Is it ok to express like this? I know that it will only increase supply but I feel like I am going to split at the seams! Will do the Birth Story tomorrow, but it was a threatened cs that ended up being a vb (wahoo!) but needed an epidural, episiotomoy, synto and managed third stage. So I had to concede those things in order to get a VB instead of a CS but that's ok!

TM - how are you feeling about the induction? I hope you go naturally before then! It sounds like a normal kind of induction. It feels really weird when they break your waters, its so much warmer than I realised.

Kelly - any update on the chicken pox?

Sorry for the selfish post... off to feed again I love cuddles while feeding.

Sep 2008
    sydney

hi girls,

so glad everyone is doing well. Mitchell is incredible - such a snuggler and I just can't say no. He is yet to get used to his cot but we are hoping that will get better. I do have 2 questions for you all ladies if possible. Just need to pick your brains as a first time mum.

1 - Breast pumps. - We plan one getting one and have researched some but there are so many out there. Does anyone have any recommendations? If I get one that attached directly to bottles not bags then can those bottles go directly into the freezer? If so, for how long? Has anyone ever heard of or used 'Cherub'?

2 - Dummies - I was planning on not introducing a dummy but ..... Mitchell loves to suck his thumb, hand, DH's chest - basically whatever he can get his mouth around. My sister suggested a dummy to help settle him in his cot. What does everyone think? I dont want him to be dependent on it but I'd like him to sleep in his cot too. Will this interfere with the breastfeeding sucking? We are having a few issues with attachments already so I'd rather not introduce further issues.

Hope you are all getting more sleep than me!

Oct 2008

Hi all -
    Well not much for me to report. The GP siad there is nothing we can do except wait and see if he gets it. The incubation period is for 3 weeks so I have a long 3 weeks stretching out in front of me. I just feel so helpless, and it's so hard to not stress out about it. I've been searching the internet all day to see if there is anything to make me feel better but I wish I hadn't - all things say that if newborns do get it it can be very severe. I'm so worried about something bad happening to him! Feeling very sad and miserable, had a very teary day.

Sep 2008
    sydney

Awww Kel.

things will be okay!!! Remember all the goodness your breastmilk is giving him. Try not to stress - I know it's hard but the stress will just upset you further. And so you know you are not alone in having a bad day - I just had a bit of a cry after struggling to get mitchell to latch after an hour. Took a shower - breathed deeply - amd started again. He's now asleep on my chest as I type this. Awwww - so cute

Oct 2008
    Canning Vale, Perth

gah so jealous right now!
    roses: not that i would know yet but from what ive read/heard, especially if hes having attachement probs, best not to give him dummy/bottle teats as they can get confused and it will make thier BF attachment even worse...ive read not to introduce bottle/dummies til after 4 weeks.
    someone pls correct me if im wrong
    oscar: yes hoping i go before then, have had a couple of period pain cramps today but nothing exciting, thinking it was maybe from the prodding of the internal, it hurt sooooooo much i almost cried (man im gonna suck at giving birth i can tell) so im feeling abit molested by the male midwife LOL
    but it is good to have a 'final' date, so exciting this time next week i will either be holding her or in the hossy being induced! yipee!

Jul 2008
    Adelaide, SA

Roses - on dummies, u might be better waiting till he has learned to latch on better before giving him a dummy. Ethan has a dummy and he has no confusion but he doesn't have any attachment issues either. The dummies are a very different shape and texture to a nipple so they soon work out the difference. I find that it helps settle him when he's stirring in the bassinett before he actually wakes up crying, he instead settles back to sleep. I used dummies with all my babies from since hospital and never had any issues. But all babies are different.
    With the breastpump. I am getting the avent isis IQ it's electric and simulates a baby's sucking. I have used the medela manual pump but found that it really hurts it sucks the nipple so far down the tube i was bruised.

Kel - that would be very upsetting. Just keep an eye on his temp. If he starts to get a fever it could be something starting, it would be ur first sign if he was getting it. But ur breastmilk provides bub with immunity, so hopefully it's enough to protect him. When i had a cold at my babyshower, the doc said that breastfed babies would be pretty well protected. Hope he escapes it.

Tatt - this time next week ul have ur little baby Jade in ur arms! I was booked in to be induced with ds2 but he came on his own the day before anyway, hope she comes on her own too!

Jul 2008
    Perth

Very quick post from me, was just lurking but had to say this for Roses
    Pumps - I have used the Nuk electric... very weak pumping but nifty little pump... wouldn't recomend it tho. Tried an avent manuel - hated it! In fact manuel pumps are no good for me, they don't strip hardly enough milk out, and they hurt your hand after a while.
    I'm using a MEDELA SWING pump. Love love love love love it!!!! It was recomended to my SIL last month when she had mastitus and it was recomended to me by my lactation consultant at the hospital as being the best one on the market. Like the Isis it has and auto setting which mimics the babys intense intitial suck (that frantic first minute of suck suck sucking) then once the milk is streaming out it slows down to the 'let down' setting which is slower and more drawn out. You can choose to just start on the let down setting tho if you have already fed baby and you are emptying that breast out completely.
    It only fits the MEDELA bottles which are specifically for breast milk storage and feeding. Also they are completely BPA free. Phillip seems to have absolutely no confusion between the teats and then attaching back to my breast, so I can say I'm happy with that.
    The only con is that the bottles only go up to 150ml. They just don't make a larger bottle then that. The other thing is that it's not cheap. A Swing Pump will set you back $300 with each bottle plus teat costing $13. But IMO it's worth every penny

Dummys - I use the Nuk ortho dummys. My Daughter loved the Avent flat dummys and the Happy baby ortho dummys. She just wont take a cherry shape one. The best thing to do is buy three differant styles and just see what Mitchell likes. So maybe a standard Cherry Shape, an Ortho shape and a flat style (like the AVENT) It may take a few goes for Mitchell to take it, I know Phil likes it with the tiniest squirt of Bmilk on it if hes still asleep and only stirring. I think they must taste icky when they are completely dry, but they don't recomend you do that... thats just my personal thing.

Ok now back to trying to nap while Phil naps

Nov 2005
    by the lake .....

FOUND YOU ALL!!!!!

Not much different here from me girls- still waiting! Bub is still transvers and has nowmoved into a med risk position. If I go into spontaneous labor I have to go straight to hospital, otherwise I have a (secret) CS date next week. Either way I will have our bubba next week!

Jan 2006
    country victoria

Hi Girls,

Well I have found you all, took awhile to realise that the baby thread had started.

Sounds like everyone is going really well.

Jack is going well, he is a little porky and put on 320gms in 6 days. I am using a nipple shield at moment due to him having latching issues, between my flat nipples and his short tongue. So I was really happy with his weight gain, goes to show the shields aren't reducing my milk supply.

Re dummies, at this stage I haven't given Jack one, I'm sure I will though. My other 2 boys both had dummies. I used the Nuk ones. Re nipple confusion my eldest son was fed using a nipple shield til he was 5 months old, (he latched onto breast on his own after that) plus he also had a dummy and he was confused at all between the two.

So far Jack is a fairly settled baby, is pretty much feeding 3 to 4 hourly. Have had a couple of unsettled nights, think it was wind. I'm doing OK, had a slight touch of Mastitis on the weekend managed to feed through it though so that was good.

Sorry for the selfish post will try and get back into the swing of keeping up with everything.

Apr 2007
    Inner South East suburbs Melbourne

Megs, so glad the shields are working for you. It's just amazing, it feels like every problem one can have, there's a product out there to help! I'm glad little Jack is doing well.

Nelly, good luck with however things turn out for you. It must be a bit disconcerting, thinking that going into labour is going to mean sudden surgery for you. I hope at the last minute bubs turns the right way.

Nat, I've had the opposite experience to you - I love my Avent Isis, although dh got me an electric one this time. I used the Isis manual at work for a year and got tons and tons of milk. This is obviously another area where it's all down to the individual Tom has an Avent dummy, which he accepts under sufferance, and I only really offer when a feed isn't possible, such as when we're in the car or I'm in the middle of making dinner. He thinks it is most unreasonable and makes those funny angry baby noises while he's sucking madly on the dummy LOL.

I'm having a lot of fun with Little Tom (who also gets called Major Tom when he's being bossy). He's a very relaxed baby, unless he's not getting his boob. He has a massage every night and just adores it, which is nice, because Clare hated it. I just wish he'd sleep a bit more at night. The first sleep block of the evening is getting longer and longer (he slept from 8pm to midnight last night) and I suspect that will just lengthen out until he is able to sleep through. I could do without feeding constantly from 1am onwards. <yawn>

We had a mass of dh's family come to visit yesterday which was kind of nice, and Tom got passed around which he didn't mind too much. I found out last night that my Grandma died (my dad didn't even call me, he made my sister do it), and I cried all over Tom's soft little head. Then today I found out my dental surgery in July is going to cost about $3000. So I took Tom and the ensuing migraine to bed and he comforted me with his snuggling for the afternoon. So all in all, he's proving a pretty useful little chap

How long are your babies nursing for at a feed? I've noticed that Tom is probably only taking ten to fifteen minutes per feed now - I suspect if I could get him to go longer, he'd last longer between feeds. And how many dirty nappies are you changing? We've gone through one and a half boxes of 108 newborn nappies since he was born. So glad I'm not doing cloth! I've never known a baby poo so much.

Hope everyone is well.

123412 ...