Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born May 2006 #22

Oh Sara, honey. I'm having a little cry for you. Keep yourself well and worry about you and your babies. The rest will be what it will be.

Nat, exactly what Shazz suggested. If you have to resort to the syringe, by the 5ml one. It's narrow enough to squirt down the side of his mouth (just like a cat/dog).

Shazz, that's what they tell you cos they don't know what it's like. I'm with you. I tried it and it's awful. I wish I had the solution figured out, but I sympathise.

You girls have to stop talking about shopping, cos every time you do, I do and I'm going to get into trouble shortly.....

Jodie259 Guest

Sara.... Gosh you poor thing. So much on your plate at the moment. Be strong and I hope that everything sorts out... which ever way it goes.

Shazz... I did the residential sleep school with Shaun... and it's not controlled crying... but sort of similar called controlled comforting. You don't leave your baby to cry on it's own. You stay with him/her until he/she is calm - then leave the room. When they start crying again - you go back in. I can give you some more information in detail if you want me to send you something. It was a godsend to me. I don't know myself now that I am able to sleep for 5-8 hours in one block! Last night my DH put shaun to sleep at 7.30pm. He would stir during the night, but self-settle... but woke up thirsty at 5.15am, so I gave him a bottle. Then he went straight back to sleep... and I had to wake him up at 9.45 in the morning to get him off to day care. So one wake up in 14 hours!!! Any sleeping technique can be difficult... but it's only for a day or so. But if you don't do it - your baby may wake constantly for years.... and that can't be good for you or the baby either. I was so surprised to how quickly Shaun learnt sleeping techniques. And he is so much happier for it. He goes to day care two days a week.... and they still comment about the change in his personality from pre-sleep school to now. And he has big naps every day too... and previously I would be lucky if he slept for 15-20 minutes during the day. You have my email, so if you want some info, just email me and I'll shoot something off to you. I understand if you don't want to try anything though.

Sorry I've not been online much lately. It's been a frantic few weeks. It was my b'day last week... and it's Yarivs today (Friday). On Saturday I'm taking him to the racetrack and he's going to have 4 hours driving around in a V8 racecar. I know he will love it.

In the last few weeks I've had B'days, BBQ party, garage sale, completed all my bookwork and just a heap of stuff in general. I've been so tired. But now it's all done - and I'm spending time on me... which includes getting back to the gym! My weight loss has been up & down like a roller coaster.

Shaun cut his first tooth on the 16th Feb. Just a little sharp corner poking through. Poor mite has been suffering a bit with his sore gums though. Day care think that he may be cross cutting... and getting his back teeth next ! I've no idea. He won't let me put my finger in his mouth anymore.... whereas previously he wouldn't let you take your finger out of his mouth!

Anyway... it's late.... and birthday boy has fallen asleep - thus the reason I've snuck back online!

Hi to everyone. Hugs to all of you who are suffering at the moment. Just remember that when you're down... the only way to go is up!

Have a great weekend... if I don't get back on again soon.

MWA
    xx
    Jodie

Shazz ~ Arghhh are you serious? I can’t believe they recommended CC!?!? I thought they were against that stuff? I have heard a bit about controlled comforting and it seems much better then CC. Less harsh. Is Ryan not sleeping well? (Did I miss that?? So sorry if I did!)

Sara ~ OMG sweety are you okay?? Silly question I guess. Massive bear hugs back to you. I really hope you guys can sort it out. Kim said it beautifully!

Kim
    ~ pmsl Shopping, shopping, shopping!

Vic ~ I can’t wait for you to show off your skills. I will have to send you a photo where you can photoshop me so I look good LOL!!

Well I really don’t know what to think of Em being sick so I’m gonna write it down here so you can give me some opinions.

Last Friday ~ Em woke up at 6 and vomited 6 times in 7 hours. Started getting watery nappies.
    Sunday ~ Watery nappies clear up
    Monday ~ He seems to choke at the end of his dinner and throws the lot up. His nappies are now frothy and smelly.
    Tuesday ~ Frothy nappies – overly bad though.
    Wednesday ~ Throws up his dinner again and still frothy nappies.
    Today ~ Vomits up his lunch. Has diarrhea so bad it literally explodes out his nappy (straight after the vomit so he was sitting in vomit and crap LOL - all at the childcare centre too lovely )
    Tonight ~ Has kept down some pumpkin. Has had 2 bottles and so far no bad nappies.

In hindsight it looks bad. The nappies didn’t worry me too much. I know that after gastro the bowels can take a while to settle back to normal. I honestly thought he ate too fast or choked on his dinner which is why he bought it up those times. Because straight after he wanted more to eat. All the other times he has been fine. He still was eating fresh fruit and kept pureed fruit down as well. They have said possibly viral gastro but they said that last time and he didn’t have it then (I swear viral gastro is their diagnoses for everything they’re unsure of).

The Dr wants me to take him to hospital tomorrow if he’s not any better. Ie doesn’t keep things down and/or the nappies are still bad. I’m still confused now just re-reading it…

Buggar buggar. I just edited and it didn't work. Don't you hate that!!?

Jodie ~ Good to hear from you. That is an excellent present for Yariv - how cool! And YAY for little Shauny cutting his firs tooth! I betcha Em is the last May bub to cut his first one! Sounds as though you've been busy lately!
    Last edited by Lea13; February 22nd, 2007 at 11:54 PM.

Nat- do not feel bad about Em, I would have been the same as you, babies sick all the time and their nappies can be foul when teething so if he was still eating and seemed happy enough I wouldn't have taken him to the docotrs either. Its a fine line between obsessive neurotic mum and normal with babies isn't it ?? Either you end up taking them to the docotrs for every little thing that ends up being nothing or you sometimes miss something that is something. You are just a normal mum Nat. I wouldn't like to count how many times I've poo pooed my kid's illnesses and then eventually taken hem to the docotrs and its been a bad ear infection or tonsilitis or something. Welcome to motherhood- the guilt never ends!!!

Nat they sound like e-coli nappies. Did you say that was going around?

Yep Kym that's what I'm worried about. There is an outbreak in SA and even worse outbreaks in our area.

He just had another extremely bad nappy. So bad it just overflowed out the top and sides and is now all over the carpet!! Ewwwww!!!

So he hasn't thrown up but the nappies are still bad. Should I ring the hospital up?

Christine ~ That's exactly what I thought! He just seemed so happy and I knew what the Dr's would tell me because every other time I have taken him there.

I agree with Vic, since the doctor said take him to hospital you are not being paranoid just following doctors orders.

Yep Nat, ring the hospital. To much fluids out means electrolytes out, and that can cause probs with heart and kidneys.

I just rang the hospital and quickly ran through it all. They said it would probably be best to bring him in if only just to be on the safe side. So it looks as though I'll be spending the day in emergency! Now I just have to get him off me for 5 mins so I can have a shower!

Thanks for all the help girls. I really appreciate it.

Oh and anyone know how to get diarrhea stains out of cream carpet lol?

Will research stain removal for you today! GL at emergency, they usually take kids in quickly but you'll still have a lot of sittin around- take a magazine.

Lea - good on you for doing nothing at all! yeah it has been great having the car for the last few days but i've been out and about the whole time and now the house work is piling up, i don't have the car today so i will be cleaning all day, the house definately needs it! When DH last had gastro i went to chemist to get Hydrolite for all of us in case Archie and I got it too but the chemist recommended Hydrolite icey poles as babies and kids tend to more readily eat them. They have some all ready in the freezer if you ask for them. It sounds like Em is getting better, i hope so! I would prob take Em to hospital just to be safe, don't worry ur not a paranoid mum just a caring one.

Leanne - if you would look forward to arelaxing, fun, child-freee night and you feel comfortable leaving Katy for a night then definately go to the wedding. if you think that you won't be able to relax and enjoy youself without Katy then send your apologies. HTH!

Tania - the activity table sounds great especially a it doesn't stop him from sleeping.

Kim - good on you for sticking with b/f and going with your instincts, well done Darcy is a lucky little girl. totally agree with not waiting for DH to get things done! well done on doing it yourself.

Shazz - I agree about controlled crying and would never even think of doing it, it was recommended to us too. i see here some people have mentioned controlled comforting, that sounds like what DH and i have done and it definately has worked for Archie, without all the stress of listening to your baby crying hysterically while you wait for the clock to tick down. It takes patience but it worked after 1 night for us, goodluck with Ryan's sleeping habits (or non-sleeping habits!)

sara - big hugs, we are all here for you, you are never alone, you are a strong woman and as someone else has said, the only way is up!

Yesterday afternoon mum showed up and said that while she was in target looking at stroller she saw a woman looking at a 3 wheeler the same as the one she bought but she found it too bulky. So she offered to sell it to this woman, well the woman came and bought the 3 wheeler for $80 (mum only paid $99 9 months ago!) so mum went and bought 2 upright strollers, one for me and one for her. Mum and i have a bit of an obsession with strollers so when DH saw the new upright stroller he spat it! lol, now we have 4 strollers for one baby! Where will it end, can't wait to tell him that we need a tandem stroller when the next bub is born he he he.

Archie has had revolting runny smelly poos all week, im quite sure its from teething as every day he dribbles and cries and grabs his mouth and screams at me, his top teeth seem to be moving further down each day to, i hope they come through soon. what is with all the doctors nopw saying that teething does not cause nappy rash, yucky poos, fever, uh, yeah it does!! I have asked numerous mums and they all agree. what do you guys think??

Lea - you should get through quickly with Em, from our experience with Emergency bubs with vomits get through in no time, but yeah you still have a lot of waiting around to do, wear your trackies so you'll at least be comfortable.

vic - thanks for sharing your experiences. i agree that we mums seem to blame everything on teething, i have definately been guilty of that! Though this whole week has been a shocker and each day i check his top gums and it sure looks as if his teeth are moving closer and closer each day. I think we mums just need to remind ourselves to just go with the flow and not analyse our babies to much, its hard though when you just want to help them feel happy.

lea - i hope you got Em sorted out without too much fuss this afternoon, been thinking of you both.

well we actually ended up in Emergency ourselves this afternoon, thankfully we got straight in though (shock hooror!). When Archie finished his luch he just started choking and was struggling to get air for 1-2mins, sounded like he was drowning. he was extremely scared and uncomfortable and was out of sorts for over an hour afterwards, it really scared me!!!! He kept refusing to drink and was spewing up this thick mucusy stuff, so we decided to take him to hospital just in case. Docs think he must have aspirated some of his lunch but he seems perfectly fine now, they said to keep an eye out for any fevers, but other than that he should be fine. Sure scared me though! He is fine now sleeping soundly.

Goodness Elissa hope Archie is alright what a scare ... i bet your heart was throbbing
    Nat ~ hows Em ? hope the hospital looked after him quickly
    big hi to everyone else off to bed i'm knackered

Oh Elissa, hope Archie iis OK.

Nat, hope your stay in ED wasn't too bad.

Vic I agree with you. If one more person (namely the ILs of course) suggest she's teething, I'm going to slap them! How long do they think it takes?!?!?! She does everything else when she's good and ready, so why would teeth be any different.

Hehehe had to laugh today, I have a little show off in the making, but everything's a 'bir-die" today - everything. Everytime you offer her something it's nooooooo, ta.
    For those of you with phone freaks, Kmart have a great little toy. It's about 12bucks and it comes with a mobile and a key chain thingy. The phone has a camera noise and quite realistic noises and the key has a little torch and heaps of sounds. I've got heaps of picks of the Dargon trying to put the phone up to her ear lol, shame the back of her head can't hear.

Have a good weekend everyone.

shazz - yeah i was a bit freaked for a few minutes. Hope you get a good sleep tonight.

kim - Archie is fine, hes the best hes been all week, not a single whinge tonight and seems to have gone to sleep all by himself, no patting, no rocking, no screaming, no panadol/nurafen for his teeth (i think its his teeth but who would know!) Anyway im in a state of disbelief, somebody pinch me! Had a giggle at Darcy with the phone to the back of her head. OMG what a terific little talker!

Just left DH at a friends place, he has just started on the shooters! Better him than me tomorrow morning! I get my turn tomorrow night a girls night with my sister and some friends, don't like drinking anymore but i still act like im drunk and have just as much fun, so it'll be a cheap night!

Just quickly posting

We took him into emergency and waited over 3 hours to be seen. After explaining everything to 2 nurses and then a Dr we were pretty much told that it was probably viral and nothing serious. Which was a relief as they ruled out the major worry of e-coli. So it was 5 at that stage and we expected to be sent home. A waste of a day but better safe then sorry right? They then came back and said they'd like to admit him for a short stay to observe him. More explanations to more nurses and Dr's (I was sounding like a broken record at this stage LOL) and waiting around. Em decided to perk up and start playing around the room noisily charming all the nurser (and he was supposed to be sick yea right) But he was fine. Some great stomach rumbles and bottycoughs lol but it all went well which we were relieved at because any diarrhea or vomiting would have resulted in an overnight stay. Hopefully he perks up now.

Will post more tomorrow and reply to personals. I'm off to bed LOL. Its been a long day!!

Oh Vic I had to laugh at the teething stuff. So you noticed that Em has been teething for months Everything you said was so true pmsl!!

Sara: BIG HUGS to you chic!! I hope it all works out for you and Brent. If you need to chat email me and I can give you my mobile # you can vent all you want.

Nat: Oh poor Em and your carpet !! You did the right thing taking him to the hospital you’re not paranoid at all as Elissa said you’re a caring Mum! OMG 3hrs….thats emergency for you. We haven’t had to wait that long here but its not too big a town either …..how many sick ppl can there be at one time??

Kim: That cream we got has worked wonders!! I won’t have any shopping stories to tell anymore now that I have stopped haha (well trying to at least). How gorgeous Darcy talking!! This is the best time I think as our babies are learning so much!

Elissa: OMG poor Archie…..thats great he is ok now though. Jayden chokes on his food quite badly when he doesn’t want it….but definitely nothing that bad, I think I would be very worried too!! One thing I have never done (before and after baby) is panic…..my heart will sink when something bad happens but then something takes over to fix whatever is wrong……I think most mothers have that capability because they have to….Sounds like you and DH handled yourselves well.

Vic : I too am guilty for the teething thing LOL Jayden has been teething since he was 4mths old LOL… I can’t remember if I posted just the other day that I think he is teething again but this time I was right!!! MY BABY BOY CUT HIS 1st TOOTH LAST NIGHT!!!! YAY finally!! Then I was feeling around this morning and OMG ANOTHER TOOTH!!!!! He was blowing bubbles out of his nose so I figured he was either getting a cold (he has a yucky cough too) or teething.

We had an eventful night tonight (talking of emergency)…..We went to SIL#2’s for a going away BBQ for some friends and we get a phone call from our 16yo niece…”Don’t panic but Nonna is in an ambulance and they are taking her to the hospital.” They had dropped another niece off at a disco and on the way back MIL got something caught in her through and couldn’t breathe she of course panicked (all while she is driving) and started getting chest pains but managed to pull the car over to the side of the road, niece Hayley called 000 and then called SIL’s house for someone to get her and the car so our nephew and I went up and poor Hayley just broke down in tears on me as soon as we got there. I drove MIL back and picked up SIL#1 and FIL and drove to the hospital and we had to fill in form etc and it took what seemed like ages to be able to see her but it was really only about an hour but all that time we didn’t really know what had happened. Nephew Joshua had called my SIL’s that weren’t there to tell them but the one in Buderim all he said was something about a car and someone is in hospital so SIL#5 (still keeping up? Haha) calls me and she was so worried cause she didn’t even know who was in hospital!! Anyway turns out MIL is fine they were waiting on blood tests when we left and she was being transferred to the private hospital for observation overnight…I guess we’ll find out more tomorrow. I felt so bad for Hayley though so I gave her one of my Breezers to calm her down hahaha (not that I’m promoting underage drinking hehe ).

Well that’s more than enough from me I think nighty night
    oxoxox

Wow Tania, great to hear he got some teeth. Not so great about MIL, but good to hear she's ok.

Good to know he's better Nat. Hope you got some rest. How's DP?

Poor Darcy, i'm not a panicker either. Spent too much time as a sister for that. I've had to whack Darcy on the back for one serious choke, but other than that I just let her go. DH nealry flies off the handle, but if one person panics then so does the child. I have not much sympathy left. Mypoor kids are going to cop 'If it's not bleeding, you're OK, if it is wash it off and show me when you have' lol. I think deep dow we all know when it's serious.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast