Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in November 2005

crockerclan Guest

Hi all,

Hope you all had a great Christmas. We had a very quiet Christmas with the kids. We spent the day at home with a few visitors in the morning and in the afternoon we all had siestas because it was so hot.

Ashleigh is now settling in to a routine. She is sleeping better at night and is now on 180ml of formula which is helping her get through to the next feed, even though some feeds she does not drink this much. She is still chucking up a lot with some of her feeds, so hopefully this prescription formula will make a difference.

We go back to the physio, this coming Wednesday to see if she needs to be put in plaster again. She is also having physio on her neck as she seems to favour one side more than the other and is getting a flat head.

Well hoping every one has a happy new year. We are having a quiet night at home watching the fireworks on telly.

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and Ashleigh(8 weeks old)

Milo is 6 and a half weeks old now, and weighed in at a hefty 5.6 kilo's last Thursday.

Considering he's still not attaching too well at feeds, his weight gains are really good, averaging 200gm per week.

We're going to the Royal Womens Hospital's Breastfeeding Support Service on Monday to get his tongue assessed, and for some advice in general, as he should really be attaching a bit better by now, but isn't.

I was told he has a mild tongue tie, but it was considered too small to bother with, so a getting a second opinion.

My MCHN says he must be a really efficient feeder, to be getting the weight gains he is, and draining the breast in anything as little as 3-4 minutes.

Lately he's been sleeping 4-7 hours at night, usually around 5 though.
    Its hard trying to guess whether he'll sleep longer or not (to know whether I should express, rather than wake up engorged)

Day time sleeps get shorter as the day goes on, and are usually catnaps, or non existant after lunch until after dinner. His last feed tends to be at around 8 - 9pm, and he's normally only having 6 feeds a day, unless its hot - last week we went up to 9, but thats the most so far.

All in all though, he really is a good baby and has only had 2 or three really ratty days so far (touch wood). He usually settles himself to sleep, unless he's overtired or has lots of wind (which can be all day some days)

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Lee-Ann Guest

Hi Ladies

How are you all doing? Happy New Year to you all!

Well Regan is all over the place as far as sleep is concerned. Not last night but the night before she didn't really sleep until 4am and she only got about 2 hours, I was going out of my mind and then yesterday she didn't sleep that well at all, not enough for me to try and get some sleep myself. Then last night she finally went to sleep only to wake every 2 1/2 hours. I feel a bit better today having gotten a bit of sleep last night.

Regan is 6 weeks old now and she has definitely grown heaps! Anyway lets hope she gets back into her old sleep pattern.

Hi - you don't realise before having a baby how one nights restless sleep can turn you into a wreak ! And if that night is followed by a not so good day - aaarrrgghhhh !

Alex has a weigh in and 8 week old check up on Tuesday.

Gotta go - four year old calling.

:twingirl: <--- from Cait - "can we send a smilie to someone ?"

crockerclan Guest

Hi everyone,

Ashleigh is growing in leaps and bounds. She is now nine weeks old and she is starting to sleep longer at nights. Most nights she is now going 6 hours and occasionally she is sleeping through. Last night she slept from 7pm to 4.45am in the morning. The good news is that I am getting more sleep when I am not waking up to see if she is stiring.

Ashleigh is still out of the casts. The Physio wants me to work on stretching that foot to see if that will rectify the problem. The physio is still working on her neck as well.

Ashleigh is now on medicated formula. She is on peptic junior which is a formula for babies with allergy problems. I think she is more settled on this formula and is chucking up less, so less washing.

Sorry to hear your babies are sleeping erratically, but give it a few weeks and they hopefully will be more settled. It took Ashleigh until about the seventh or eighth week before she started sleeping longer.

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and Ashleigh(2 months old)

Lee-Ann Guest

Michele - Glad to hear that Ashleigh is sleeping a lot better! I can't even imagine getting 6 hours of sleep in one go anymore LOL. Glad to hear Ashleigh still doesn't need more casts, hopefully physio will work. Sounds like the new formula is working too I hope it continues.

I took Regan to the MHCN yesterday and she now weighs 9lb 9oz and 55cm long. So she is doing really well.

It's been quite hot here and as I don't have a/c it's really awful but Regan seems to be ok. I gave her a tepid bath this morning and just trying to keep her cool.

Milo has had 3 nights of 7.5 - 8 hours sleep this week! yay!

We have his 8 week checkup on Thursday, as well as first 'new mums group' get together. Apparently there will be 8 or 9 of us, so should be good to talk with other mums.

Also immunisations start next tuesday - apparently they can have the 2 month ones at 7 or 8 weeks. Milo will be 7 weeks 1 day.

I'm a bit nervous about them, i hate thinking of him being in pain 8-[

I think the mums flinch more than the babies with the injections ! I couldn't hold Caitlin when she had her first ones and she hardly make a squeak.

New mums groups are good - it's funny to think that there were all these women in your area having babies at the same time and you never knew them before.

Cheers,
    Barb.

Lee-Ann Guest

Oh I'm dreading Regan's needles but being my 3rd child I'm a lot stronger than what I was with my 1st. I've noticed since Regan as passed the 6 week mark she smiles heaps now and it's like some one turned on a smiling switch, LOL. It's so cute!

Hope you have all had a good weekend.

crockerclan Guest

Hi,

This weekend has been a quiet one. Saturday I did some housework, and today did some ironing and went to friends place in the afternoon.
    The kids had a birthday party to go to today.

This week is going to be a quiet one spent at home. I need to ring the clinic and go and get Ashleigh weighed. I haven't been to the clinic as yet. I have had the home visit but apart from that I haven't had the chance to take her to the clinic with physio appointments and doctor visits and christmas and New year it has been a busy time. Hopefully everything will start to quiet down now that all the festivities are over.

With the kids home from school, I will have to try and entertain them. It is even harder when it is raining.

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and Ashleigh(2 months)

Well, I chickened out of taking Milo for his immunisations yesterday, but have made an appt to have them done at my doctors.

I think I'd prefer that anyway.

Went to RWH on Monday. They snipped Milo's tongue tie, not much difference in feeding, but I can see a difference in how he's moving his tongue.

They did say its still quite tight, but that there's nothing anyone can do, he needs to build up muscle strength etc.

So we have exercises to do, and I am going to take him to see a chiropreator or osteopath (once I can find one) as his jaw action when feeding isn't very smooth/rhythmic, so maybe theres something else going on.

Also they weighed him on Monday - 5.91 kilos.
    I am waiting to see what he weighs tomorrow at the health centre, as I really only take those scales into account since they're all slightly different.

So theres no problem with weight gain so far, just uncomfortable feeding for mum

I am setting myself a target (for breastfeeding) of 12 weeks. Once I get that far, we'll see if we can go for longer

Hope everyone's doing well

crockerclan Guest

Hi,

How is everyone going. Ashleigh is going great guns. She is now 10 weeks old and is growing.

I can understand you chickening out with the needles, it was not easy taking Ashleigh and seeing her scream. It is for the best and she was only unsettled for 24 hours and she was fine after that.

She has found her hands. She is putting them into her mouth and she sucks on them. She is also starting to goo and ga which is quite cute, also smiling heaps now.

Do you put bubs on their tummy and if so do they scream. Ashleigh hates being on her stomach but we spend a little time each day on her tummy.

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and Ashleigh(2 months)

hi - the health nurse tole me this week that one good thing about having the needles done at one of the council places is that there are two nurses working and they do them at the same time - apparently there are three needles at 2 months, is that right ?

I put Alex on his tummy on the change table so I can bob down and have my head at his level, he doesn't mind it for short periods. I'll also slouch on the couch and put him on my chest so when he looks up he can see my head really close up. (lucky fella!)

He weighs 5.9 kilos and is 60cm long.

Cheers,
    Barb.

Milo got weighed yesterday, on the 'official' scales at MCHN, and is now 6kg. He's 60cm long.

He also doesn't like to be on his tum for any length of time, he gets really frustrated and cries.

We do it every day, starting with hands/arms by sides and he's suppoed to move then up to under his shoulders and lift up his head.

He's done it once or twice, but normally he gets one arm up and the other flys straight out backwards.

He's still liking to look to the left side about 90% of the time, so I'm making an appt to see a cranial osteopath. This might help with his jaw action for b/f too!

Hey - Alex favours the left side too ! I wonder if its because I tend to hold him in my right arm more, so he's looking to the left. Also in the cot, the left side is facing out and the right side is to the wall.

Caitlin did the same thing too as a baby, and the health nurse said something about it and she did have a flatter head on that side, but Alex's head looks OK.

What will a cranial osteopath do ?

Barb.

Lee-Ann Guest

Hi everyone

Well I have to make an appointment for Regan's needles, ugh, it's come around so quickly.

I don't give Regan a lot of tummy time as she also cries being on her tummy, she'll stay there for a few minutes but after that I pick her up. I hope that's not a bad thing?

Regan's sleep has been a bit haywire. Like yesterday she cat-napped all day, I was so tired cos the night before she slept 3 hours, then 2 hours, then just napped the rest of the early morning but that meant I couldn't really sleep. Then by last night I was really wanting her to get some sleep cos I just felt so so tired. So I gave her some nappy free time, chatted etc, bathed her at about 7.30pm. But when I got her out of the bath and started to dress her she totally lost it and absolutely screamed the house down and got herself that upset it took a while to calm her down even with a breastfeed. I personally think she was so tired that she worked herself up into hysteria, poor bubba. She finally went to sleep at about 10.30 and awoke at midnight, then awoke at 3.15am and 5am then 7am.

I also noticed that yesterday Regan didn't feed much. She has these sort of days where she just seems to snack a bit but once I get the "let-down" she pulls off and doesn't want to feed. Does anyone else experience this?

Rachael - I hope your b/f will be ok, it's good to set yourself a target and then see how you go. My friend's little boy was tongue-tied and they did the same thing and snipped his tongue, but she ended up having to stop b/f as she just couldn't get him to feed correctly and it was really difficult for her. Good luck with it all.

Hope you are all doing well and glad to hear the all babies are going great.

Lee-Ann I think at this point that I will be joinging your friend

Its getting to the point where its agony.
    I am going to try starting to feed from the 'good' side for the next 24 hours at least, to see whether that helps at all, cos he really bit down hard at the last feed, I had to bite my tongue not to scream.

Barb Cranial osteopathy can be used to treat stresses/pain etc resulting from the birth process, position in the womb etc, depending on whether thats the cause of the condition.

So maybe Milo was lying in a certain position in utero, and has tighter muscles on one side of his neck that the other etc..

It might also help with his feeding, as all of the different L/Cs I've seen have suggested going to see an osteo or chiro as his sucking technique is not smooth, and looks mechanical.

Here's hoping.

Cynthaz Guest

Ouch! I can absolutely relate to the feeding hurting, and it's so frustrating wanting to continue with breastfeeding but being in agony every time. I was lucky and after about 28 days of *owww* at every feed it's now pain free. I had 3 midwives check his attachment and they all said it was fine, so I guess I had to wait it out. I'm not sure if this applies to you though, there's only so long you can live with that kind of pain.

DS has had his first immunisations at the doctor. Yep, there's 3 needles. He only cried for a minute and then forgot all about it (until I came to take off the sticky plaster the next day, that must have hurt, he had little tears in his eyes). The doctor told me that the old immunisations hurt a lot more, and babies cried for about 24 hours but now they have a newer kind that don't hurt as much. Thank goodness!

Regarding tummy time, when he's in a good mood he does really well, he can lift his head right up and has the leg and arm action going great (doesn't manage to lift his chest off the ground though). If he stays happy long enough he can even spin around about 90 degrees from all the leg kicking. Unfortunately, most times he starts to grizzle straight away so we don't get very far. I've tried putting him down straight after a feed, but then he's too sleepy and just lies there. Practice makes perfect I guess.

We are starting the Child & Youth Health baby classes in February which should be interesting I hope.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast