Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in November 2005

Not sure how you know whether its reflux or just chucking/possetting.
    I think with reflux, they'd be pulling off during a feed and screaming - but you can also get silent reflux where I don't think this happens.

Milo is a happy chucker - he sometimes throws up just as you described - usually though its like straight breastmilk or white curdly looking (partially digested).

He normally does it after or toward he end of a feed and will not cry etc, but just get cleaned up & go to sleep.

A couple of times he's done it while still feeding, and milk goes everywhere!

Hi - thanks for that - happy chucker ! thats a nice way to describe it. Gotta remember not to sit down and get comfy without a bib or a cloth nappy. Or wearing anything dark !

Another thing - colic - which mum also says Alex has - do babies get this because they don't burb after a feed ? Is it like stubborn wind ? I thought babies with colic screamed all the time. Alex lets out the odd painful kind of squark, but it doesn't last more than a few seconds.

Barb.

Colic - not sure.

Milo gets a *lot* of wind, and if I can't get all the burps up, he gets a pain in his belly and cries, the crying gets softer and softer, he falls asleep for 1-5 minutes, then it starts again. Finally he'll let out a burp and fall asleep properly.

I thought this was colic, but my mum reckons it doesn't happen all the time, and not at the same time, and not every day, and she doesn't think the screaming is bad enough?!

Apparently I had colic, and by comparison Milo is the perfect baby.

Milo slept for 10 hours last nigh, a new record \/

How many sleeps do your bubs have each day, compared to how many feeds?

Milo has 6 feeds most days, but only 3 - 4 sleeps in 24 hours.

He'll have his big overnight sleep, feed & sometimes play, sleep then
    feed->play->sleep,
    feed->play-> sometimes sleep, sometimes stays awake until bedtime at night.

The last sleep he has is normally around 12 -2pm, usually for at least an hour.
    After that he might have another sleep, but will usually be awake til 9-10pm.

So he averages about 14 hours sleep a day.

Is this enough, and should I be trying to get him to stay up a bit more in the morning to have a good sleep in the afternoon, or just continuing to follow his lead?

crockerclan Guest

Hi,

Ashleigh is only on 5 feeds a day. This is the routine for the last couple of days. First feed is at 5.30am in the morning, back to sleep, she awakes between 7am and 8am and she cames out with me and sits in her rocker while I get the kids organized for school. At 8.50 when kids leave for school, we bath, get dressed and have another feed and then she has another sleep. Usually she has about 2 hours sleep and then she either sits in her rocker or plays on her playmat. At 1pm another feed and back for another sleep. Another 2 hour sleep and then more play time and then a cat nap and wake up for 5pm feed, sometimes we have bath or otherwise we change for bed and go and have another sleep until about 7.30- 8pm and then it is play again until 9pm - 9.30pm and then feed and put to bed for the night.

Ashleigh has a rash, and she is very red in the fold of the neck, Does anyone know what I could put on it to make it less red and angry. I think it is because she has reflux and is dribbling all the time. I have to change her a lot as well because of the dribbling. At the moment I am putting zinc and caster oil cream on it.

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and Ashleigh(3 months old today)

We use curash powder on Milo's neck when he gets redness in the neck folds. It seems to work OK.

Hi - I've never been big on the creams, it's usually damp and soggy where you need to put them anyway. I use the curash powder on Alex's bottom, especially after he's had a big wet or pooy nappy. I have also heard people using cornflower.

Ashleigh has a lot of ups and downs during the day. I guess its hard when you have to get them up for school runs - I'll find out about that next week when kinda has the 8.30 starts.

Alex has been waking around 6.30, goes back down around 8am. Up for lunch around 11 or 12, back to bed around 1 or 2. Up around 6 again - and this is when its hard to get him back down, so sometimes he's still with us at 9pm, so he has two feeds then. So four feeds and three naps and an overnight sleep. I don't know how long he is awake in the cot sometimes before he starts crying - sometimes I stick my head in and he is awake and just looking around.

He slept till nine this morning, I thought my boobs were going to explode !

Barb.

crockerclan Guest

Hi,

Ashleigh's neck is much improved the last couple of days. It is less red. The zinc and caster oil cream must be working. Still having trouble with the reflux business, can not wait until I can give her solids as they say this helps with the reflux.

Ashleigh has to go back to physio tomorrow regarding her neck and her ankles, hoping for a positive report on it.

Michele
    Mother of Christopher, Luke, Melissa, Jayden and Ashleigh(3 months old)

crockerclan Guest

Hi,

Went to physio today with Ashleigh, Positive news on the neck, she seems to be doing better there but her ankle is still too tight and if the stretches don't work by next fortnight she will be back in plaster, so hoping the stretching will work.

Also spoke to Ashleigh's paedaetrician, said to up her zantac for her reflux. Instead of 1ml she is now on 1.3ml. He said because she has put on weight she needs to up her zantac.

Michele

Hi - will not mention what a great sleeper Alex is anymore - I have put the mozz on him - I swear he was awake ALL day today.

Good luck with your exercises.

Barb.

Cynthaz Guest

Ryan only power naps during the day except for 1 big sleep in the afternoon. I'm sure all the babies have exactly the right amount of sleep for their individual needs.

crockerclan Guest

Hi,

Ashleigh slept from 9am this morning to 1pm this afternoon. She slept for four hours straight which is rare for her. She is usually only sleeping only 2 hours straight apart from night time where she is sleeping right through now. I don't know whether it is because it is so much cooler today on the central coast only 23 degrees or it because the kids are back at school.

Regarding her exercises, I am doing the stretches every time she has a nappy change hoping that this will help.

Michele

Hi - back to normal today ! phew. I was a wreck after only one day of sleeplessness.

The weather here has been nicer too.

When they're up - do youse (!) put them on the floor on a rug or in a bouncer or both ?

Yonks ago I bought a CD designed to help babies sleep, called Dreaming or something and I finally played it today - classical moosic. Alex was in the bouncer watching Caitlin in a tutu dancing around the lounge room, it was so cute.

Barb.

Milo has a combination of floor play on a bunny rug, and in a swing.
    its an electronic one, but we don't have the swing part turned on yet as its too fast and he doesn't like it. He prefers to sit in it and watch the lights and listen to the music.

We don't have a bouncer, but I'm thinking about getting one.

This morning Milo decided he wasn't going to bed after his feed, even though he was really tired, barely finishing one yawn before the next, and he could hardly keep his eyes open.

So I picked him up, and he let out, simultaneously, the biggest fart and burp you've ever heard. :shock:

Then he looked up at me, smiled, and I put him back to bed. He's been asleep since then

I think with his sleeping I've just been expectig him to have more than he must need. And he's been having pretty much all of it overnight and in the morning. So yesterday we tried a morning sleep then up for longer, and ended up with 2 afternoon sleeps.

He probably had the same number of hours as normal, but were more spread out. The only downside was that it threw bedtime out by an hour or so. I think I'll just follow his lead today and see what happens.

Cynthaz Guest

Ryan spends most of his time in his bouncer (but with the stabilising arm so it doesn't move). He likes to play with the rattles and look out of the window.

He also has time on his sheepskin with his soft toys but gets grizzly pretty quick, especially if he is on his tummy.

crockerclan Guest

Hi,

Ashleigh spends most time in her rocker because she is very happy there, if she could she would sleep in there at night. She also has some play time under her play gym with her nursey rhymes going. She loves being on that all the bright colours and the mirror and animals to play with.

Ashleigh is still having problems with the reflux business, I know I will have to bother the paedaetrician yet again to ask for his advice. Her foot is still turned inwards, I got another week to get it right or she is back in plaster again.

This year is going fast, soon I will have to make another appointment for Ashleigh to get her four month needles, it is going way to fast. Before you know it she will be sitting up, even though she wants to sit up now.

Michele

Milo slept for 11.5 hours the past 2 nights, and think he wants to drop a feed, but he's not sure - he's having 5 - 5.5 instead of 6 at the moment.

Last night he was all fussy about it though, and as a result he didn't get to sleep til 11:30pm. There's no way I am going to let him sleep til 11am, so I'm thinking about going in around 9am and waking him.

I've been trying to get him to sleep a bit earlier (normally its between 9-10), so last night was a real disaster.

He's moving his neck much better now. When he's on his back he'll move it all around, both sides/middle etc, but on his tumn its still only one direction, though he is holding his head well.

crockerclan Guest

Hi,

Ashleigh is sleeping through from 9pm to 5am in the morning when I give her a feed. Ashleigh is only on 5 feeds at the moment and I am having trouble giving her morning feed, so I am not sure whether she wants to drop the 9am feed or not but lately the 9am feed she does not want a bottle so I am putting her feed back to 10am to see if she will drink it then. But she is still fussing over the bottle then and only drinking 80ml. I am not sure what this all means whether she is ready for solids or not.

Michele

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast