Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2005 #2

HHEELLOOOOOO,is any body out there,it has been very quiet in here.
    well it seems that noone is available for the melbourne meet up,it is a very busy time of year so we will try for early in the new year girls.
    just to let you know that chantelle had her formula bottle again before bed last night and slept through till 5 am this morning,woo hoo,it is working really well and she is far more settled through the days now also.
    i am going to go out for as long as i can tomorrow as we have trades men here again putting the roof on the pergola,cant be bothered watching them making alot of noise and mess so i will look for new bedroom suites for the boys rooms for xmas.also have chantelles mchc appointment.i am guessing that she must be up aroung the 9 pound mark by now.i weighed myself today and found that i am 60 kilos,i was 64 when i fell prg,wow what an effort,still dont know what i am doing right but i am preety happy with that.
    i have decided not to go on the pill,will just see what happens,i dont expect to get af for a long time yet so i think i am pretty safe.
    well girls have a lovely sleep and talk to you all tomorrow
    nikki

Good Morning!

Nikki - Wow on the sleeping. I've been having a moment the last few nights because I feed Louis around 6.30-7pm and he just won't sleep and just wants more food. I was thinking maybe I don't have enough milk for him at that time??? I have more than enough every other time though.... maybe a night time bottle would be a good idea for him as well. First I might try expressing through the day and giving him some extra at that time maybe. Once he's asleep he's fine though - slept from 8.30pm - 1.30am and then through to 5.45am. I'm definitely looking forward to him sleeping through though....

Congrats on the weight loss! I'm starting to struggle a bit now (especially with xmas and all the choccies I was given - hehe) so still have at least 1kg to go.

I'm off to a mum and bub exercise class at the hospital today. They're doing a study so I don't have to pay for it. Will be interesting anyway.

Donella - I hope things have improved for you! I wouldn't say that was enough sleep for a bubba but as it's only 1 day I'm sure he'll catch up with it. I know what you mean about not waking dh up - sometimes its so hard though because you really need the help. Occasionally I'll wake him up 20 min before his alarm to help me if the timings right then its not so bad.

I hope you're all doing well - it's been so quiet in here...

Tracey - IKWYM about not making plans because you dont know what bub will be doing. It's hard isnt it?

Kristie - Yay you're on holidays!! You're amazing getting through all that!! You really are. Emma likes tummy time - although I probably dont give her enough 8-[ I usually do it after her bath with nothing on.

Donella - is Dylan sleeping any better for you now? I hope you are getting a break.

Nikki - Hope you enjoy your day out today!

It was 37 degrees here yesterday!! :shock: And we had walked to Mothers group, then had to walk home at midday when it was 35. Emma seemed to handle it pretty well, I was surprised. Last night she slept from 10pm - 4am had a feed then slept till 8am, so I'm stll pretty happy with that.

Hope you are all surviving the heat OK

Hi Ladies

Linda - Glad to see that Emma handled the heat ok. It was hot here too yesterday. Jordan seemed to feed a lot more often yesyterday, I figured it was the heat. We had plenty of wet nappies though so I guess he was properly highdrated.
    Jordan seems to have a similar night routine. We generally put him to bed at 10.00 when we go to bed. He wakes at about 2am though and again at 6am. Last night though it was midnight, 2am, 4am, 7.30am.

Krisvee - What do they do at mums and bubs exercise class? I would be interested to know. I have only been walking with pram so far. I was going to start some exercises the hospital gave me to do but havent been motivated to start. I really need to tighten up the tummy though, still a bit flabby. Want to get it looking reasonable by January when we go away.

Nicole - Glad to see that the formula is assisting settle Chantelle. How much are you giving her of a night? We tried giving Jordan formula the other night as my milk was terrible. I gave the 4 ounces (120 mils) it said for his age but he didnt seem satisfied and woke 2 hrs later for more. I was really unimpressed. We used S26, what are you using?

Dee - I too know what you mean about trying to settle bubs on your own. My DH gets up at 5am for work so I hate to disturb his sleep. Only if I am at my wits end will I wake him. This has happened a few times.

Krisvee - congrats on starting holidays. I am loving being at home at the moment. Cant imagine having to fit work in aswell.

Question about breastmilk again....Has anyone found that certain foods when transfered into your milk upset bubs? I had a vegetarian pizza and for the next day Jordan was windy, irritable and cried nearly all day and wouldnt sleep. I figure the capsicum, onions or olives were playing havoc with him.

Hope you all have a lovely day. HUGS TO BUBS

Tracey - I havent found any real obvious link between foods and upsets with Emma, but I havent really taken a lot of notice either! Also if the pizza had garlic it could have been a problem?

I meant to say too Kristie - stoked about the free classes!! That would be great. They dont have anything like that around here (another downside to being in a small town #-o )

Tracey - a lovely nurse at the hospital said to be careful of what spices you have, not to mention beware of onion. My Mil said to be careful not to drink too much soft drink also. I suppose a lot of the time you have to play it by ear.

Kristie - It's nice to be on holidays, enjoy!

Linda - We had a house inspection today, and we're asking if we can get an air conditioner. It's been really hot and muggy here. I've got Benjamin in shorts and a singlet today. Too hot!

Melissa

Good on you Melissa - I hope you get it!! This heat is just full on!!

HI all,

Hope the bubs are behaving themselves. My little Jess is being quite good, but frustrating me at the same time. She's difficult to burp and settle again. I spent over an hr at 2am just burping her cause I could hear the bubble in her tum, but she wouldn't wake enough for it to come out. I'd made the mistake of giving up on getting the bubble out two feeds earlier and the next few hrs were hell as she woke with a tummy ache and wind and cried for ages. She vomitted and fluffed and complained for over an two hrs before her 11pm feed because of the wind in her bowel. Not fun. Add to that the fact I was grumpy as hell (fed up with being a milkmaid and cleaner when DH was home and not being much help. He refuses to change bums and he left Kat nappyless after her shower and guess who pooped all over the carpet and played with it!! Guess who then had to shower her again, give her to dad to dry and then go clean the floors too!!, Dad then took off into computer room for 2 odd hrs leaving me with two upset babies and having to dress, feed entertain them! NOT HAPPY Jan. Then he wonders why I get soooo grumpy!!) and Kat climbing all over me, standing on my feet to try to climb onto the lounge. I got to sleep after midnight (dh and I talked things thru..... kinda) and Jess woke at 2am. Got her back to bed at 4am and then had to get up to her again TWICE as she lost the dummy and started screaming. I think I finally got back to sleep at 5am and DH woke me up (Jess woke about 10mins before he did) at 7am. So I didn't get much sleep last night.

I can't wait to set up Kat's new bedroom so I can let jess cry abit more and not worry about it waking DH.... Let her cry a bit more so she goes longer between feeds. This 3-3.5hr business is NOT good. She's drinking the same amount as Kat per feed!!! Yet she only goes 3-3.5hrs! Go figure.

HELP ME. I think I'm having a break down.....
    I'm grumpy and emotional and I keep thinking DH doesn't love me anymore and I'm only here to look after the kids....

Aww Kerrie I'm so sorry things are so difficult for you right now. I cant even imagine having 2 to look after! Do you think you could talk to DH again & let him know you need more help? I hope you get some more sleep soon...

Kerrie - I can't even imagine how hard it is for you atm! It's awful that your dh is not giving you the support you need. Hard as it is you really need to talk properly about how you're feeling and what yopu need him to do. I can't believe he'd let Kat poo everywhere and make you clean it up just cos he doesn't want to deal with a dirty nappy!

Nikki - glad the formula trick is still working. I give Dylan on average one within each 24 hour period and it does settle him well. I hate expressing so the formula works better for us.

Dylan is feeding and settling better now, but for a few days he just wouldn
    't stay latched on. I think my milk might have atsted different from going on the mini pill but I hope he's used to it now.

He doesn't like tummy time bvery much but we try to do some every day. He has a very strong head - has been able to hold it up since day 1, but when he's on his tummy he's reluctant to lift it. ](*,)

Hope you all survived the heat yesterday if you had it. Wasn't too bad here, then we had a thunder storm last night but without rain...

Kazzy Guest

Hi Everyone,
    typing a quick post whild DS is watching SPonge Bob and DS is sleeping.

Kerrie - could you talk to your MIL - maybe even get her to come over one day/night a week so you atleast have that to look forward to - getting a break.. Your DH really does need to help you alot more - it is hard enough with one let alone two. Have a chat to your MCH nurse also - some councils offer assitance to mums who may need help in the house or do you have a girlfriend who can come over and help you out for a couple of weeks. Either way - sit DH down for a serious chat and tell him that you need more help.

Eden seems to be fine now (fingers crossed) may have just been a little bug.

Had my Mums group xmas break up on sat. We left early because one of the children in the group is a bit of a roughie and hit Brandan first with a tennis racket then punched him with his fist. DH seen it and was furious as the other childs parents were there and said nothing. DH picked up Brandan and said to me - come on lets go. SO we went. It happens most time when I get together with the other Mums. If it is not Brandan then it is another child. The other Mums don't say anything. Once the other child climbed into a babies cot, woke it up and threw it over the side. The motehr didn;t say anything. He is always tagertting someone on purpose. I am reluctant to go back tot he group but am unsire how to approach the mother. Will accept any advice is you have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Milk - I have found that some foods do effect Eden. Lettice, capsicum, onion, garlic and the general stuff that people warn you about. She is more unsettled and windy.

Deancey - great sleep - it is nice when a predictable pattern starts to show - helps plan the night and the day.

Nikki - what formula are you using. I am glad that it is helping Chantelle.

Just a quickie today - sorry no more personals I will catch up with you all soon.

Nikki - as for catching up in the New Year - sounds good. I may be braver by then and drive to Melb!!!!!!!

I will catch you all soon

Kazzy
    xx

thanks for the support everyone. I will manage. Once I get Jess sorted out and into a routine things will settle down. MIL lives in Newcastle so she can't help out often.....and my mother works over 12hrs a day 5 days a week and does extra teaching on weekends so she's always busy. She loves to help out tho, but time is limited. My sister has two young ones and she's a great support. I call her at least twice a week, just to complain and chat. I see her when I go to my mum's place (her family live in the top half of my mum's house). I have talked to DH about it all and he knows how I feel. He doesn't mean to treat me like this. He just cannot stomach pooey nappies and he's under so much stress at work he needs down time when he gets home. I understand that...... I also know it's my hormones playing hell with me. I hate feeling like this. I guess part of me wants to be spoilt every now and then and wants to feel appreciated. By everyone. Kat comes up to me and gives me BIG cuddles and kisses all the time, and I know she loves me. I don't know how to explain it. Maybe it's a touch of PND again??!! Who knows. I just don't feel valued anymore...

kerrie,yep sounds like you could definantly have a touch of pnd,get onto it now,go see your gp and get some meds you will not be sorry and i swear to you that you will manage your daily tasks with 2 babies and a stessed hubby so much easier,i know i have been there sweety,dont delay.
    kazzy,what a shame about your parnts group,you have been with them for so long but if that mother will not stand up and take some responsibility for her childs actions then i would leave also,your childrens safety needs to come first,you could try to approach her but i really dont know what to suggest to say,it sounds like she would either take offence or not follow it through as she doesnt sound like she has any control even now.i spose you have nothing to lose by approaching her cos either way you are in a bad situation.
    well i just came back from the mchc and it turns out that poor chantelle has a nasty case of reflux,i thought that might have been the case and that is why i bought the formula.it is s26 reflux formula and i give her 120 mls before bed at night.she slept really well again last night,i am not missing out on any sleep.i told the nurse i definantly did not want to give up breastfeeding during the day so she told me to get caricare thickener from the chemist and to mix up a t.spoon and give it to her before or after each breastfeed.i did this this afternoon and what do you know she has been sleeping peacfully since.she told me i wouldnt beleive the improvement as reflux si very painful.and so far she is right.for those mums having terrible,wakeful nights i strongly suggest that you give your baby a bottle before bed,alot of mums do it as you can have peace of mind as to how much they are having and it seems to satisfy there hunger more.
    chantelle is now 4.3 kilos
    her birth weight was 2.6 kilos
    she is now 53 cm
    her birth length was 45 cm.
    she is growing very well.
    does any one know how to convert that to pounds?
    well i think that is all for now
    nikki

Nikki - how did they diagnose the reflux? Dylan vomits after every feed and often squeals when I feed him. He needs to be burped about 4 times every feed... do these sound like symptoms?

she told me that there are 2 types of reflux,silent and spewy.she said that babies that throw up after most feeds and cannot burp proerly and are agitated,pulling up there legs and generally unsettled even after doing all the things to try and settle are likely to have it.the silent type is the one who doesnt spew or burp.get a baby book out or jump on the net and have a look at symptoms of reflux and i will do the same and let you know,maybe you could go and get the thickener and see if he improves after a feed!!!!!
    nikki

in babies it's hard to diagnose reflux. It goes on symptoms. If they get very restless and upset after each feed and they vomit a lot (the vomit usually smells STRONGLY of off milk as they have excess tummy acid) then they may have reflux. Even just excessive vomiting can be a sign. Using a tickened formula can help. I found Karicare AF or HA-AF good for Kat. But it doesn't completely cure the problem. Kat still vomits even now. A LOT but she doesn't get the heartburn (and hasn't since about 8wks old, but she's still a reflux baby). Everyone gets shocked at how much Kat chucks. Lucky for us she's a happy healthy chucker. With reflux, what you have to be aware of is that they start to know feeding causes this pain and will stop wanting to eat, also because they vomit a lot they lose weight. We found smaller more frequent feeds worked for Kat. But it's hard as you feel like you spend all day feeding and cleaning up chuck (try doing that when you have bad m/s! It was hell. I'd start dry retching due to the odour of off milk).
    Anyway, I'm off subject. Reflux usually clears up by itself by one yr. If not then there has to be tests done (which reminds me I should book Kat in to see the paed again) to determine why they still get it. It's usually just a weak valve and solid foods will help improve it when they start on them and being upright helps too. Sometimes surgery is needed to correct it. But not very often.
    If you have a baby you think may be reflux, see ur MCHC or GP. They will probably suggest you try a thickened formula or thickener. They may also suggest Gaviscon for infants if the pain is bad for the baby. I know how hard it is having a reflux baby and I thank god Jess doesn't seem to be. One is more than enough.... But then again Jess being a windy baby is almost as bad at times....

Thanks. I can't tell if it's reflux or just wind... he does bring his legs up and then strtch them out so hard he actually stands up for about 10 seconds which is freaky. I think I'll go see the nurse at Childrens Health on Thurs as they have a drop in time then and have a chat. I haven't had him weighed for 2 weeks, but the doc measured him and he's grown 2 cm in 2 weeks.

chantelle has put on only a small amount of wieght this fortnight,only half what she has put on in prevoiuos weeks so i guess that is also an indication that she has reflux.when i think about how horrible it was having heart burn while i was prg,i then can understand how awful it must be for her
    nikki

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast