Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2005 #20

Actually I have a question...
    How much are your little ones understanding or speaking at this point? Patrick doesn't say a lot yet - well not that you can understand. He can understand a bit so he will follow some simple commands but not a lot.
    My parents have watched... what's that movie 'look who's talking' I think... and they are convinced he can understand pretty much everything and he can actually talk, but the only reason they think he doesn't is because he's the youngest. So I was trying to tell them that he can't talk and it's not because he's the youngest (I mean other than a few words here and there) and that he's pretty normal for his age. But I don't think they believe me.. then they go on about how I talked at 9 months so he probably can too.. well this was a LONG time ago and I think they have forgotten... My guess is I probably said a word or two and over the years they maybe forgot and thought they remembered me talking.. you know how sometimes parents forget.. well who knows..
    Anyway, since you all have babies around the same age, I thought I'd ask you what you think is normal for this age, or how much your babies are talking/understanding.

Thanks!

Hi!

How did you all sleep last night?? It stayed at 27 in my house but I actually slept ok with the fan on. Louis woke up one for a bbbiiiiggg drink of water but he slept well also so that was ok.

Thanks Nikki! How are you feeling today? Hope your feeling nice and positive and excited! One more sleep until you meet your little man!

Ros - I only went with an agency with a minimal upfront fee and they also just let me put our own photos of Louis up so no fees for photo shoots. It was only $140 for the year so I thought it was worth it for some fun! I'm not going to get the money back as all the money Louis makes goes into his bank account.
    Wow what a big job looking after the kids on your own!! I hope the time goes quickly for you and he's over here soon! It's amazing what you can do when you have too!

In regards to words speaking out blue book that we get given at birth that you see the mchn about says in it's developmental assessment:
    12 Months - May say 1-3 clear words
    - Undertsands simple instructions
    - Multiple syllables and world babble eg dada, mimi
    18 Months - Uses 5-10 words
    - Understands many more words

Don't know if that helps....As far as I understand it kids all develop at different times so I definitely wouldn't be concerned!
    I agree - I don't think you would have been "talking" at 9m!!!
    Louis is speaking a lot but I think he's an exception to the rule from speaking to others...He's a chatterbox and has over 100 words now that he uses regularly. I think it's because I never shut up though and he's had to learn to talk so he can get a word in! hehehehe.

Dh is home today - Yeah!!! I do miss him heaps when he's been away but in this case it has been good to have a little break on my own!!

Monabap - welcome! It must be hard to be here without your partner. Do you have family or anyone out here to give you some sanity??

Ok - has anyone heard from Nikki??? I cant believ today is the big day!

Tracey - tori has days where she will only have the one sleep and i go mad by the end of it! I need my time out from her as terrible as that sounds! She is just so full on and doesnt sit still for two seconds. Do you know, she still doesnt sit and watch tv at all! She wont even sit for a book! I thinks we may have a case of ADD!!!!

Kristie - whats the story with the magazines? Have you sold some of them?

Well, i should be doing some work but cant be bothered. I feel like crap, have spent the last 2 days throwing up, my stomach is sore from it all and im sure my new bub is starving but i just cant keep anything down! She keeps kicking away though so im not to worried about her though.

Speek to you all later my lovelies!!!

Hi!

Cindy - Ooh I'm sorry to hear you've been sooo sick! I hope you feel better soon! Glad bubs is keeping nice and active! You should have had the day off work you duffer!
    Yeah - a lady is interested in buying most of them - I'm not sure she realises how many I actually have! hehe. Whatever she doesn't want I'll just keep putting on ebay....
    When are you working up until?

Kristie - you are so right i so should have stayed at home! I can not concentrate on anything. I think i will go home early though. Not sure when i will stop working, i really dont know. LAst time i just worked up untill i had tori but i am definately more worn out this time thanks to having to chase tori! I think i might finish up at about 38 weeks. I dont know what to say to my boss about coming back to work though. Coz its only one day its not all that hard but i need to get the feeeding sorted etc. Maybe i will come back one bub is 6 weeks? wait untill i have had that check up etc. I would like al to earn more so i didnt have to work at all!! We could survive but my earnings are our spending dollars!

Yeah it's a tough decision and as you said one day a week is probably manageable - and may be good for a break out of the house! Do you have to tell them by a certain date?
    I hope you finish early!! You sound like you need some rest!
    If you ever need to remember I'm close by and can have Tori if you need a break!

Thanks Kristie, yes that is helpful. So I guess that makes Patrick fairly average. I guess he has somewhere around 15 words he says. Wow - Louis is amazing with his vocab!
    I didn't have that blue book. None of my kids were born here.

$140 seems good for the fees. Most of the ones I had looked into were around $500.

Cindy - thanks for the welcome. Yes, I have family next door now so that is definitely helpful!

WOWWWW Kristie, Just read your post about Louis and immediately had to take a peak at the catalogue. He looks sooooo adorable!!! He has always been a very handsome bubba and he has really grown into his looks. What a good boy to stand so proudly wearing the winter clothes in the summer heat. You and DH must be enormously proud of him. I've never met the little man and yet I'm feeling proud as punch! he ha! Wow also at him being able to speak about 100 words. Louis really is one smart cookie! Louis definitely blows the theory that bubbas generally excel/focus on one developmental area at a time eg motor skills v's verbal skills. Louis, I think, was the first of all October bubbas I know (here and elsewhere) to walk and also seems to have the largest vocab. He certainly has all bases covered. Clever boy!

Ros, It's lovely to have you on board. xx What a lot you have on your hands at the moment while DH is in the States. Are you an Aussie returning home to Australia or are you migrating here? What part of Sydney are you living in? I'm also from Sydney - in Cammeray, on the lower north shore. What are your other children's names/ages? This sounds like 20 questions, I hope you don't mind. ;D

Fergus is quite slow on the speaking front. He was an early starter, but then tapered off. He now has only about 10-12 actual words and quite a few more consistent sounds for things that aren't actually words (eg bebe for milk and meme for food). Like Patrick, Fergus can understand an amazing amount of what we're saying. For example this morning I had to take him for his weekly blood tests. He now knows what going for a blood test means and totally freaked out all the way to the hospital. Then this afternoon as I was packing him into the car I told him we were off to the hospital to see the Paed and he kept saying "toy toy toy" cause he likes the toys she keeps in her rooms. Fergus also makes himself understood really well without using words so I am frequently falling into the habit of interpreting what he wants without waiting for him to use words. Definitely not something that's in his best short term interest! My Paed (who knows us well as we see her every other day) says I'm like a sibling to him as I understand and pre-empt what he wants. Not something I'm particularly proud or really even conscious of doing! Will have to try to stop doing this.

Cindy, Sorry to hear you're feeling m/s. Must be so much harder this time around! Hope you are feeling MUCH better soon. Hope you can sort out something with work that suits you post bubba number 2.

Fergus's walking is really coming along. He's now toddling all over the place in about 15 step intervals. Tis really very very cute. Sometimes I want to somehow preserve certain moments in Fergus's life so I don't forget the details of them. Watching the look of absolute amazement and pride on his face at the moment as he learns to walk is sooo special that it actually makes me teary. It's kind of like he understands how far he's come and that walking represents a huge mark of independence to him. He's so adorable at the moment I just want to kiss him all the time. He ha! Mushy mushy. Blaim it on the lack of sleep. heha! He keeps giving me eskimo kisses rubbing our noses together, with a big cheesy grin on his face. It's these things that help put everything we're currently going through in perspective!

Wow Kell on Will's first hair cut. I hope you kept a lock of hair. F has only had his hair cut over the kitchen sink by me so far. And I'm not the best cutter either!

Nikki, Not long to go now. Am excited for you. x

Hi Tracey, Melissa and Linda. Hope you are well and handling the hot weather ok.

I so know what you mean about wanting to cuddle and kiss them all the time. My Jess is a cute little chubba bubba and she's sooooo emotional too. She LOVES her mummy and shows it all the time. I get HUGE hugs as I'm pulling her pants up and kisses (sloppy open mouth ones too..........adorable!) and she'll come over to me, and just put her head on my knee just to know I's there and say "Love you" to me. Yesterday was super Cute, Kat slept a bit late with her afternoon nap so I had Jess up with me sitting on my lap as I typed a quick reply here, she had a bikkie in her hand and kept reaching back behind her head, for my head to kiss her or nuzzle her. Like she was saying "I love these alone times mummy, when I have you all to myself". Kat used to be like that too. Still is to a small degree, with her it's more, comes flying at you out of the blue to give you a HUGE bear hug. So fast the collision actually hurts! Ahhh kids, they are the most precious gems in all the world! (I want number 3!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAH!)

Hi Kerrie, How adorable! Your beautiful girls sound very affectionate. No wonder you're lusting after number three!! How are you?

I'm not bad Kirsty, Gus sounds like a cutie. I'm sorry to hear he's not able to eat atm. Poor bubba. Am glad the kangaroo feed is helping him gain weight. I've had a lot of expirience with those pumps and it's amazing how fiddly they are and how often the tubes get blocked. Gus sure is clever to be walking so well now and it is an amazing step. He has every right to be a proud little man! Hehe. Are you thinking of another bub in the future? I know right now you have your hands full, I'm just curious. I am sure Gus'd make a wonderful sibbling in the future...
    Did you have a good christmas and new year? I hope DH gave you some time off...

Prior to this latest round of dramas with Fergus, we'd thought we might start "trying" for another bubba towards the end of last year/beginning of this year. Now we're not so sure. It's kind of confusing. We'd prefer not to have a big age gap between him and number 2 but then I'm kind of scared about what we'll do if preg number 2 is as complicated as Gus's was. Don't want Gus to be neglected etc. Plus as the moment we're really suffering the effects of such broken sleep that I can only imagine how much harder it would be with preggo tiredness on top! Think we'll probably delay for a bit longer while we adjust to this new phase. Looks like he'll need the kangaroo pump for about 6months minimum. It's definitely working in the weight dept. We weighed him with the paed today and he's 7.53kg (up from 7.29 last Wed). But he's still completely refusing to eat so it's really just a short term solution. But I'm going off track. To answer your question, I desperately want at least 2 children, ideally 3 (and crazily wouldn't say no to 4!!!). I love the idea of a noisy crazy house with people coming andg going all the time. At he rate we're going though, we may end up having to be grateful just to have a healthy, thriving Gus plus 1 sibling.

Had a quiet Christmas. We had to change our plans due to Fergus' hospitalisation. We'd planned to visit DH's parents in Encounter Bay, South Australia but needed to stay in Syd close to the hospital. My family don't live in Sydney either, so it was just the three of us. Both our sets of parents were hosting our siblings and wider families for Christmas so neither could travel to Syd to spend the day with us. My fam came down afterwards and DH's are due to visit in a couple of wks. DH was a huge help over Christmas/New Year so that made a big difference to sleep and energy levels...

Kerrie, How many children would you like?

I too would love a house full of laughter and noise. *L* DH used to joke me about having 12 kids. I used to look at him and say "yeah right, I'll have 3 and after that you carry and birth them!" But I have found I love being pg as much as I love being a mum and I would be happy to have 5 or six kids, more if possible. But it will all depend on how things go for me. I've never really had probs falling pg, but I had 3 m/c's when I was younger, and now I have a cyst which the Ob thinks may be part of PCOS. Would explain a lot, but I just want to be fertile again and be able to add to the family whenever we decide the time is right. DH has said yes to number 3 hopefully falling around aug (we're renovating atm, or saving for the kitchen reno anyway so he wants to wait till that's done and we have saved a little more as a buffer), and he's said he wouldn't mind having #4 fairly close to #3 so they are as close friends as Kat and Jess, but it's all up in the air untill we get the cyst worked out and HOPEFULLY I get regular ovulation and periods again! Am slowly losing weight to help to that end. Lost 2.5kgs already. But got a LOOOONG way to go. Mind you I fell with Jess when I was not much lighter than this....hmm. Oh well...
    ATM my family and friends are having a baby boom and I soooo wanna be part of it...
    God I ramble don't I? In answer to ur question, we want a big family, hopefully full of laughter and fun. At the same time, I would love to help other couples who can't get pg to have their own bubs, but John's not keen on me donating my eggs to ppl in the future. He says the laws don't protect the donor enough yet.... That is one of my biggest wishes. To help others have a family...

he ha, you would definitely have a happy loud family if there were 12. LOL. You are very generous re egg donation. What an admirable goal! I know a couple of women who've donated eggs privately and are really happy with the way things have gone. They did say the fertility drugs they had to take to produce the eggs for harvest were pretty tough on their bodies/emotions though, but were both focused on the greater good they were doing. Hope your cyst resolves quickly and without to much intervention. xx

Thanks Kirsty, I hope Gus realises that eating can be enjoyable very soon and some pf the pressure is lifted from you.... I don't know how you have done it. You are an amazing woman!
    Sorry, had to run and get Kat off jess's head. She thinks it fun to sit on jessies head sometimes. Gave her time out and made her say sorry, give jess a kiss and cuddle and say it to jess....she did. Jess was more upset than Kat was at the time out as her play mate wasn't allowed to play! *LOL*

Wow you guys can chatter on! hehehe!

Kirsty - I think Tori was walking before Louis!! But I'll take all the compliments on his behalf! hehe!
    I think considering the challenges that Gus has had to face he's doing an amazing job!!! He sounds so gorgeous walking around! It's so nice now that the kids can show affection! You should be very very proud of your little man for all of his achievements!!!
    Louis comes up and asks for cuddles and we get lots of kisses. I love our cuddles though because he pats me on the back like I've done with him! Soo nice. He also says love you which is nice as well.

Dh was meant to be back in the next 30min but he messaged and hasn't even left yet! GRRR! I'm sure he's just doing it so I have to get Louis fed and bathed and ready for bed on my own......I'm making him bring home take away dinner for us though because I'm not doing it all on my own again tonight. I already vaccuumed and mopped this afternoon and finally got all the mags done and I'm TIRED! (My last count of the mags I'm trying to sell is 1000 - I had to itemise them all! A big job!!)

Nikki - Thinking of you for tom! Can't wait to hear your message so I can let everyone know the good news!!!

wow,chat chat,i got louis catalouge today and it has taken pride of place on our fridge.
    i am all ready for tomorrow,james has gone to qld for 8 days,he flew by himself and i was a nervous wreck,he is fine and having a great time already,corey is staying at a friends house tonight and chantelle is going to creche tomorrow,we have to be at the hospital at 7.15 am and the dr saw me today and checked me over and said i will probably be in theatre at about 10.30.i am a bit nervous but also excited.i am going to miss chantelle like crazy but i know that dh is very capable when he has to be,they will visit twice a day so that will be good.im not looking forward to the yukky pain in my tummy where the wound will be but am already looking forward to the rest i will be able to have.kristie you will get the message straight away,that would be great if you could post a birth announcment for me also.ok will probably pop in tomorrow morn before we leave.think i might go and have some special time with dh now if you know what i mean.might be the last time for a while,actually it will be the last time for a looong while im sure.oh yeah did i mention that i am having my tubes tied while they have me on the table.may aswell as i definantly dont want any more than 4 children,i think that number will keep me busy enough for the rest of my lifetime.
    ok must go and have a shave and shower.
    nikki

Kirsty, Fergus sounds really similar to Patrick then. Patrick started talking pretty early.. I thought he'd be a big talker by now but he's doesn't have a huge amount of words. One day.. I can't remember how old he was but it was definitely before he turned one, he looked at our old fish tank and said very clearly 'Look - fish!'
    DH and I were both shocked. But yeah, now he doesn't say a lot. His favourite word right now is magpie. He loves the magpies - he has never seen them before (in America)

I'll try to answer all your questions. LOL
    I am a returning resident - was out of the country for eight years, so my kids are migrating. They are aged 6,5,3 and 15 mths. We are kind of living on the boarder of Gordon. About 10 mins from Hornsby.

You know what's funny? On Saturday I met a guy named Fergus. I've never met anyone by that name before, and then within a week I hear of two people with that name! And both in Sydney too! Pretty coinsidental..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast