Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2005

OMG Melissa! How scary. Is he injured at all? I hope the car is insured!

candice - what were the tips your nurse gave you for day time naps? good on you for going to the movies!! we should do that too. Sounds like Bryn is growing very nicely indeed!

We had our ECHN 6 (7) week check yesterday too. Emma has put on another 500g since 4 weeks ago, so now is just over 4kg. all seems to be well. we booked for her immunisations for dec 13th, so she will be a little bit older, but thats fine by me! are any of you requesting to have your shots split up? i asked about it and the nurse said she will be fine, there is no need to split them up. i guess if you do she has to go through it twice, but then it is a lot for their immune system at such a young age isnt it?

Melissa - I am so glad to hear that DH is ok, sounds like he was extremely lucky. What a scare for you both.

Linda - good to hear that Emma is putting on good weight. It is so nice to hear that they are growing well as you feel a sense of acheivment, that you have done this for them.

Candice - what a great idea to have a night at the movies. DH and I left Jordan at his parents while we went shopping for some xmas pressies. It felt weird without him but we were able to get around alot quicker without the pram and the bag etc.

To all the breastfeeding mums - Does anyone find that their milk isnt as good at the end of the day. I am finding that by 7-8 pm feed Jordan wont settle and is constantly getting back on the boob as he doesnt seem to be getting enought milk.
    I have expressed a bottle for tonight to see if that will calm him down as last night was awful. He screamed from about 8pm till 11pm. It breaks my heart when he is like that and I end up crying which isnt good for either of us.
    I have been told and read that rest helps the supply build up and also regular feeding. I dont want to wake him every 2 hrs though to bring the supply up as that means I will basically be feeding all day.
    Any advise will be appreciated.

thanks guys speak soon

Kazzy Guest

Hi Everyone,

Melissa - what a scare - I am so glad DH is OK. Was he sleep deprived?? It certainly puts things into perspective doesn't it!

Deancy - I am finding the same thing, so what I have been doing is expressing some milk so that I can increase my supply. I think that som eof our babies are just 'fussy' at that time of night and nothing in particular is wrong with them, just unsettled. Hope the expressed bottle works though.

Candice - do share the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have just been putting Eden dwon within the hour including feed time - works most of the time but sometimes she wakes after an hour. SOme nurses say to resettle, others say to get them up. I know from experience with number 1 that a child who is overtired is much harder to settle than a child who is a little awake so i would LOVE to hear what has worked for you - Glad that you may be getting some more rest during the day. YAY for you!!!! amd what a great boy Bryn is.

How long does everyone's bubbies sleep between feeds on average during the day and night??

Linda - Emma is certainly thriving isn't she, well done. It is great to know that the babes are all doing well health wise. I love going to the clinic for visits!!.

Well, hubby is home early so I will get off computer and do more personals later.

Love to you all.

Kazzy

Tracey - I find that my supply is definately lower in the evenings. I usually express in the mornings while i have plenty. But like Kazzy said, it is pretty normal for bubs to be unsettled in the evenings anyway.

gotta go!

Thanks guys for letting me know about your mlk supply.
    I have expressed a bottle for next feed so will see how that goes. I might start expressing for tomorrow night when DH feeds Jordan.
    At the moment Jordanand DH are asleep on the bed together. After our bad night DH deserves some sleep so I will leave him till dinner is ready.

Kazzy - I am finding that Jordan will settle within an 1 1/2 of starting a feed and then sleep for about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. He is generally 4 hrs in between feeds however the last 2 days he has gone up to 5 after his second feed of the day.
    At night he is generally waking every 3 hrs so so only getting 2 hrs sleep as takes about 1 hr to feed.

take care everyone, I am off to battle dinner.

Tracey - just in regards to expressing for the evening feed, my ECHN said it is best to do it in the morning while you have an excess (the morning milk seems to be the fattiest too which i imagine would keep them satisfied longer?)

Emma was doing the same up until about a week ago - having long day sleeps then up every 2 1/2 - 3 hours at night. but just this week she is sleeping about 5 hours then 3 hours through the night - hopefully Jordan will start doing the same for you soon!

Kazzy Guest

Hi All,
    for those of you who have unsettled babies of an evening, what is your methos of settling?? I rock Eden in her bassinette till she is asleep, she sort of cries out when I stop so I keep going. What do you do - are your babies crying, screaming or just grizzly. Just curious?? (as usual)

Here's to a good night sleep!!!

Kazzy

Melissa -wo hope everything is alright, that must have really rattled you. It is very scary, I rolled a car once and when I weny back and looked at the wreckage that scared me the most..

linda - I think I would just rather get all the shots over and done with in one sitting for them

tracey - i find that my supply is a little lower in the evening, but i still seem to have plenty for him, but then i seam to be a like a dairy cow

ok for the tips the nurse gave me, you's may already know this. She suggests through the day that you eat/play/sleep. That is, do the feed, burp and nappy change followed by some awake time having hugs, in a rocker, just on the floor, oor some tummy time, watching out for their tired signs and then put them down. For feeding she said to just keep waking bub if he falls asleep and keep putting him back on the breast as a bub with a full tummy will settle for longer. Their signs of tiredness apart from being grizzly and unsettled is, that the baby tends to have their hands up near their face more and sometimes make tight fists. when this starts, pick bub up and settle them in your arms but don't let them go to sleep there, babies need to develop sleep assocaition with their cot or cradle, not with being in your arms, also babies expect to wake up where they went to sleep. so once they are settled and quiet, pop them into their cot, place your hands on them as a reassurance thing and continue to calm them for a little while then slowly leave. If they don't settle, and murphy's law says they won't, go back in, not talking or putting lights on, don't pick him up, just pop the dunny back in rewrap etc and calm again by putting your hands on him patting his forhead etc.., an just keep at it, keep doing this everytime he bocomes unsettled, continue for atlest 20 min before checking again for wind and nappy.. And the most important thing she told me to remember is that it is natural for mums to expect that they can always stop their babies crying, and it is natural for babies to cry, so you need to find a balance.

well that is just what she said to me..

Thanks Candice, that sounds like really good advice! I will be taking some of that on for sure!

Kazzy, when Emma is unsettled of an evening, she doesnt cry non stop, but on and off, but will get really upset if put down. so i wrap her really tightly, put the dummy in and hold her really close in my arms. she likes to move around too. so i generally pace the room. luckily it doesnt happen too often, cause you cant do anything else at the same time, but it seems to work for us.. HTH

I have to say that my supply seems to be a bit less in the arvos too, not to bad though, it just takes her longer to fill up, she gets pretty windy by the endo f the day too so lots of burping!

Evindently my supply is fine though as we had her 6 week check today and she has put on a kilo in the past 4 weeks which surprised the health nurse. She is getting heaps more smily and playful the past week too, we spend alot of time lying on the floor together pulling faces! It must be a funny sight for the other half when he comes home ot see us.

I will definately be giving the settling tips a go, its funny how its all stuff we hear but forget until someone says it works for them.
    Tori is having a long sleep in the morning and then will be up from 11 untill about 1.30 and then will only have cat naps all afternoon and seems to want to feed all afternoon. She will then go down again at about 6.30 and wake around 10ish and will have 3 hourly sleeps untill 6am and it all starts again.
    The night feeds are only quick ones, literaly 10 mins including nappy and settling. I dont talk to her or make eye contact or anything otherwise she thinks its time to get up for the day. I hate not chatting to her but otherwise she would be up for hours at a time.

Got to go, my princess is calling, she went down early tonight so looks like its time for a feed again already.

Has anyone gone to a babes in arms session at the movies yet? We were going to give it a try today but my girl was too unsettled.

Hi!

Well, the concert is all over! It went fairly smoothly and the kids looked gorgeous! I still have a little work to do but nothing urgent. I'm so relieved. I can finally just kick back and enjoy my bubba. And chat on here of course! I've missed so much in the last week so I'll try my best to catch up. (This could be long!!!)

Linda – Glad to hear Emma is growing well! It’s so exciting to see how much they’ve put on! We’ve got Louis’ appointment tomorrow. I haven’t thought about the immunization yet – I suppose we’ll just do the standard way.

Bonnie – They know how to test us that’s for sure! It can get so frustrated when we don’t know what to do to help them.

I have been having a lot of trouble with Louis in the mornings – actually pretty much all day! After his feed he just screams. I’m sure it’s wind but sometimes he burps heaps and still screams. At the moment it usually takes me at least 3-4 goes to get him to sleep. I’m with you though, luckily he sleeps well most nights and I get him down easily. Also sometimes when I lay him down during the day he has little sicks. Do you think he’s getting too much milk maybe??

Melissa – Yeah on Benjamin’s christening – I’m glad it all went well. I hope he’s feeling better now! Congrats on the weight loss – I agree with getting your hubby to eat healthy too. My dh is skinny and eats heaps of junk which makes it really hard to be good!

Sorry to hear about your dh accident – that must have been so scary. I’m glad to hear he is ok though.

Candice – Wow on your boy! He is growing well! Yeah on going to the movies – I bet it was great to get out. I’m very jealous that you’re doing it every f/n. I’m hoping after Christmas to start something like that – if I can find babysitters! My brother & his gf babysat last night for the concert and did a great job so hopefully they will be up for it next year. I figure they’ll get us back as they want to start a family soon.

Kazzy – I find Louis reacts differently almost every feed. We’re definitely not in a good pattern yet. He’ll basically settle always after an hour during the day. He’s just wide eyed! So I suppose he usually sleeps around 1 1/2-3 hours each time. It just varies so much.

At the moment he screams after a feed. I just try everything. Putting him in his cot, trying a dummy, placing my hand on him for security etc. We always wrap him for his sleeps so sometimes he may need re-wrapping. At the moment we let him grizzle first and don’t pick him up unless he’s properly crying. I never thought I’d do that but it seems to tire him a little. Of course we pick him up and check for wind, but we never put him down unless we think it’s all up anyway. At the moment he’s just got the 6 week blues!

Nikki – Sorry to hear about your tooth – that sounds terrible!

Donella – Hope you are going well.

My appetite is fine! If anything I’m eating more. Now with the concert over I will get stuck into losing this last 1-2 kg. My brother just bought an awesome treadmill and he only lives 5min away so I’m going to head over at times and use that. I take Louis for a walk in the pram but I’m so worried about all the bumps that I don’t like walking to fast – he he.

Kerrie – I’m so sorry you’ve been having a rotten time of it. It must be so challenging looking after your 2 bubbas. Sometimes I don’t think our dh understand the strain of it. Please make sure you look after yourself though as much as I know it’s hard too. We end up at the bottom of the list being Mums!

Tracey – I’m not sure on the b/f. I don’t notice a difference in my supply really. I suppose bubbas reaction to it is different with his wind and being unsettled in the morning. Maybe it does settle down by the evening and that’s why he sleeps better?? I suppose you could express to get your supply up.

After the performance last night my boobs were killing me – I only feed one side at a time so the side that missed the feed was huge. I expressed when I got home and in 15min had filled a 125ml bottle!! No wonder it was sore! I then fed him on that same side and he spent about 3 min on the other side. I can’t believe it! Hehe

Cindy – Yeah on your girls weight gain! It’s so exciting now that their starting to play a little. We have little conversations with Louis now which is fun.

How do you do a night feed in 10min??? You’re amazing. I don’t get out of it generally under 40min and sometimes if he is windy up to 1 ½ hours! I don’t talk either and keep all the lights really dim.

I haven’t been to the movies yet. I think I’ll wait until next year. I definitely want to though because they usually play all the chick flicks that dh will never go and see with me!!

Sorry for the epic post - hope I haven't missed anyone!

Yay that you are all done with the concert Kristie!!! That must be such a huge weight off your shoulders!! And great that it all went so well. I just thought of something about the wind with Louis. When Emma 'seems' to have wind, i lay her face down over one arm, so that her belly rests on my arm and her head hangs to the side - does that make sense? I think the pressure on her belly really helps. Anyway, dont know if you have tried that but just thought i would mention it.

Cindy - what a great weight gain! she must be really doing well. Yay on the smiles! Emma is getting more playful by the day too. i just love it. she does little squeals and smiles like she is talking to us. i could just do it all day - but it is amazing how suddenly she goes from happy to grumpy and tired!! almost in an instant!

I asked the nurse about Emma going in the pool in summer and she said it was fine! Wow! she said some people take their bubs in younger than Emma and even put threir head under! :shock: Yep, thats right. She said if i want i can put her under - i definately DONT want to! but it is pretty amazing how tough they are already hey?

Linda - thanks for that. I basically hold him each way I can until eventually something works. He fell asleep before on my belly with his head on my chest. I could have stayed like that all afternoon but thought I better put him in his cot!

Wow on going in the pool! That's good. We're going to buy a little kiddy blow up pool to play with this summer. I hope if we can get the water warm enough we can dip him in (dh says I'm just buying it for me - he he) We're also heading to the beach for a couple of days in Jan but I think the Victorian water will be way to cold for him. We'll have to see. We might be able to just dip his toes in.

Hi All!

Thanks for caring, DH has some lovely seat belt bruises coming out now. I was asleep with Benjamin when he went to work, so it was a big shock when he called me. I am happy he called me, and that it wasn't the police knocking on my door with bad news. I don't know what I'd do without him. He won't be doing that again in a hurry, with no car for a while. Should hear more from the insurance mob soon. I'll be trying to get DH to sleep more from now on. He wants to help out at night, that's why he has limited sleep. I can handle night times better than DH anyhow. The car capsule had to be destroyed because it was put out of shape by the accident.

Candice - We aim to feed/change/play/top up/sleep here. Sometimes the change of the nappy comes before the feed, then again afterwards. We try to not play with him at night, but the cheeky grin usually comes out and it's just irresistable.

Melissa

Melissa - Isnt it just so hard not to play with them giving the cheeky grin. I swear Victoria already know how to use it against me!!

On the swimming front, I took Victoria swimming at the inlaws 2 weeks ago and she loved it!! I didnt put her head under though, I'm to scare to do that yet! Its stupid really coz she would probably love it but we are the ones that worry, they know no different. Perhaps I will be brave enough next time?
    The little bathers are so cute too! The only thing is they dont make newborn swimming bathers so we braved her just in the one piece, she managed to hold everything in until I got her dressed too.

Tori has slept so much today that I am hoping that it doesnt mean she will be up all night.

I remember someone mentioned having the fisher price aquarium bouncer, we got one a few weeks ago too and gee is that the best spent money so far. She loves it.

Gotta go, my princess calls

Hi!

Cindy - She must have looked so cute in her bathers!!

Has everyone noticed a huge change in their bubbas at 6 weeks??? I thought I new Louis and now he's completely different. We've had to change our whole approach to him. He's feeding a lot quicker (10-15min) so playing a lot more. I'm actually thinking that the more we seem to hold on to him the more he cries at the moment. He just wants some time out on his play mat or kick n whirl without us hovering over him I think. At least that's what worked this time.....

Melissa - glad DH is doing OK. guess he really needs some more sleep though!

cindy - good on you for taking Victoria swimming - I agree - how cute in the swimmers! I have bought some for Emma but she hasnt worn them yet - cant wait!

Kristie - emma seems to want to play a lot more now too. the trick is figuring out when she wants to play vs sleep vs feed LOL. I just try the one i think and if it doesnt work try the next!!

Cindy - sounds like fun taking bubs swimming. I cant wait to take a Jordan. We are going to Arlie Beach in January so will be taking him swimming then. He will be about 2 1/2 months old then.

Krisvee - COngrats on getting the concert completed. You must feel releived now that it is all over.
    I have the same problem with Jordan screaming after a feed. It is normally his 4-5pm feed and his 8-9 feed. I was thinking it was because he wasnt getting enough which is why we started using a bottle of BM in the evenings.
    Could be wind I suppose however Jordan hardly burps, he is a farter and seems to do them in his sleep. I attempt to burp him but once he is floppy I put him down even if nothing has come up.

Sorry this is hort but bubs and DH just got back from a walk and bubs hungry, duty calls.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast