Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #8

So much for a sleep.....I only just got her down now! Looks like we are in for a horrible day!
    Hmmm.... I have no idea what the temperature is in her room. I know its not hot...I am wearin a t shirt and i feel cool in there. I know its hot where my computer is but its the only room in the house the a/c's dont reach.
    I have just bouhgt her a few new toys too. I love online shopping! Thought it was good while I was pregnant! Its great now!
    Anyway - I need to shower and eat and clean some bottles! Ciao

catherine - the steelcrafts (and others) come with a black strap. dh and i were like, 'whazthatfor?' - hooking on to stop it running away, huh. still haven't attached it.. d'oh.

re: cervix. can't say i've ever felt mine coz i'm too chicken. louis had a decent gander up there and says it's closed and i choose to believe him. still to scared to DTD properly. had a crack at it at 5w so i could report anything retarded to the doc - it was scary because i imagined it all being open etc. now too tired to attempt. how y'all who are in the rabbit club are doing it is beyond me. how do you get time/energy?

in other news - dummy was a godsend. the little man can now be soothed to sleep in his own bed rather than me having to trick him to sleep through rocking first. how do you know if a #2 teat is too much for the kiddo on the bottle btw?

Hee hee!! Catherine that has just cracked me up!! I haven't thought to feel inside there to be honest, but now I think I am going to have to!! :-) I'm still getting used to how things feel on the outside with the stitches - wondering whether this little knob of scar tissue near my butt will ever disappear......

I don't give a lot of thought to the temperature thing either. Mateo wears singlet and nappy in the day - body suit to go out. I don't put the air con on cause I hate shutting the house up - just have fans going in all of the rooms.

I have just bought the Contented little baby book and tried to find Babywise but couldn't. I have had no routine with Mateo so far - just feed when hungry, put down when tired. But now that he is older I feel like I would like a bit more of a routine. Have been getting stricter with waiting the full three hours before feeding him and not letting him stay awake for more than 1 1/2 hours (Though that depends if his belly is bad or not with colic) and it seems to be going well.

Rebecca, I too love the Fisher swing - in fact Mateo has just fallen asleep in his as we speak. I try not to let him sleep too long in it and pop him in his cot so he gets used to it though.

Brissy girls - count me in for the meet up. Went to Garden City yesterdy and the parents room is great!! It's like a little communal Mummy get-together!! That's where I found out about the CLB book and how great it is!

Gotta go... phone ringing. xoxoxo

Afternoon all, had a visit from my mum today which was nice, she took Joel out for a little while to give me a break. It was nice to have some adult company around!

Kim - I would definitely fly next time!

Viv - You are so lucky getting an 8 hour stretch at night! I think Amelia FF's so that may be why her bub can go longer between feeds during the day (correct me if I'm wrong Amelia!), breast-fed babies need to feed more frequently...bummer.

Rebecca - What a great time of year to have extra money thrown at you!

Tiff - Weird you should mention spider bites, I just got Kieran up to feed him and he has a suspicious mark on his cheek which looks a lot like a bite. He doesn't seem too bothered by it so far, so I assume it was nothing too dangerous. How did your doggy go last night?

Saffi - That's great you have been going out for dinner, we haven't even tried yet! Have fun at your work party.

Catherine - I'm like you and don't follow Baby Wise to the letter, I just base most things on it and it works really well. Today is out the window with this growth spurt! I agree that first time mums can get stressed about those kind of books, I did the first time around whereas this time I am much more easy going about it. I read that amber teething thread last night and had a laugh at that person's lame disguise!

Star - Baby Wise is hard to find and you have to order it in at most stores. If you want a summary of the book, PM me your email address and I will forward it to you. It cuts through all the other stuff and gives you the main idea.

Sizing = I more meant weight & size, rather than age and size as I'm sure there are a few babies that weigh more than Kaylee... oh and she was out of the 0000 within 2 weeks and all the babies on here are well over 2-weeks by now aren't they? Doesn't really matter!

K has slept for 7-hours 3 nights in a row now, fingers crossed she keeps that up!!

My cervix never opened, even when in full-fledged labour - so I'm sure it is still closed shut!

What is this Babywise you all speak of??

Viv - I would start with a number 1 teat and see how you go! K is still on slow flow teats - sometimes when she is feeding she sucks harder/faster than she can swallow and has formula dribbling all down her chin etc - so pretty sure we don't need to go up the next teat yet! Any further thoughts re the breat pump? I still haven't got my butt into gear to post on eBay, might try to get it done this weekend!!

This has GOT to be a growth spurt! Kieran woke at 2pm for a feed and fed for 65 minutes!!! That is more than twice as long as he normally takes and he woke again at 4:30pm for his next feed, not much of a break for me! It's such a hot day to have a baby stuck to you for so long!

Peta - Babywise is a book that teaches about putting bub in a feed/play/sleep routine that helps them sleep through the night at an early age. I used it for Joel and he slept through by 5 1/2 weeks. It is written by a Dr and tells you how many feeds per day, how many hours between them, etc...are needed for your bub to thrive and to encourage a good milk supply. His book is pretty biased towards his techniques, but I think if you take out the main points it will work for anyone. It is not a strict routine either, it teaches a flexible routine. HTH.

CatherineL Guest

Peta - I don't do it just for the sleep and sane factor... I actually think they thrive on routine! And since her needs are always catered for which makes her more content and less cries - when she does cry, It's easy for me to tell why it is she is. Call me selfish, but Rochelle needs to fit into our daily life... I'm not going to give up my daily duties or turn down a dinner proposal just because i'm not sure where Rochelle is going to be at. She is a thriving baby, loves her daily bath and massage, and huffs & puffs with smiles and wide eyes when we read her a book daily. I don't care who knocks it because it works for us.

ETA - People might think it's cruel, i'm not sure why - but I think it's allot less cruel than letting your baby cry to sleep - Or scream.. which ever the case may be.
    Last edited by CatherineL; December 6th, 2007 at 04:31 PM.

i had never heard of babywise or the other. i think i must have naturally followed something like that because the little guy has been doing long stretches at night since about 4.5 weeks. he gave me the routine though, it's not like i had anything to do with it.

just after i said that jj doesn't do 3 or 4 hours between feeds, he's gone and done it today. he knows things i tell ya!

and what is it with spiders? i saw a jumpy spider on his wall by his cot today.... oooh.

catherine - ro's a show-off. :-p

Catherine - Well said on babies thriving on routine! I forgot to mention that part, my sleep deprived brain can only handle so much! I can't see how it is cruel at all, both my boys have thrived on a routine and it is great to know exactly when they are hungry, tired, bored etc...it takes the mystery out of it all and make for a contented baby and contented mum.

A lot of people fall naturally into a routine without the book!

CatherineL Guest

She knows it! I know that babies eventually put themselves into natural routines, but sometimes the hours can be ridiculous - start their days too early, finish them too late or have their days and nights mixed up. I can't remember which author it was, but they said people say we are 'lucky' because we have content and placid babies... but we should take offence, because it's our parenting and skills we've used.

ETA - Trish, I agree with content mum! Happy, well slept mum = happy family. If mum's not happy, how can bubby possibly have the chance to be happy? Like Danny says to me whenever his trying to please me... Happy wife, happy life.
    Last edited by CatherineL; December 6th, 2007 at 05:05 PM.

Catherine - It was the Babywise book that makes the comment about not just being 'lucky'. I love Danny's comment, I should tell DH! It's very true you know

Thanks Trish - that would be awesome! My email is [email protected]. xo

becky Guest

hi all!
    Grrr! Guys Im probably not gonna be able to make the brissy meet up now!! Grrr. Mum comes back from adelaide on tues (I honestly thought it was wednesday!!!) and arrives at 11:30 and asked me to pick her up from the airport!!!!!!! Grrrr. I really did think it was wednes!
    Anyway, is anyone free on Thurs or Fri instead? Or if not, it is completeley 100% fine, I will just have to come to the next one. Let me know. And sorry guys......

Sent it to you Star

We could make it friday if you wanted Becky! Gotta love baby brain!

Trish - could you email me too? [email protected]

Catherine - I don't think you are being selfish at all! Sounds like you are giving her lots of love & time = bath, massage, reading etc!... interesting what you say about routine, mum says when we were babies it was very regimented about routine - likes that I am a lot more relaxed about Kaylee's routine. But maybe I need to create more of a routine for her?!...

Sent it to you too Peta

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast