Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~March 16th-31st 2010 #3

So tired girls! Indy's had two shocking nights, wonder if it's time for solids?

rooey - is he not sleeping or wanting to feed all the time?

I think it's a bit of both. He won't settle unless I feed him, and he is really difficult to resettle. I was awake for an hour and a half every time he woke up last night

yeah i would probably try him on some farex and see how he goes. maybe he is needing something a bit more now. good luck!!

OMG, is anyone else having major sleep issues?!

It takes ages to get Indy to go to sleep, that's rocking him or putting him in the cot and patting his chest, and then he's only sleeping for 2 hours at a time overnight! Help!

Awful AWFUL sleep issues here Her dad has to take over some nights because I am near hysterical from lack of sleep

Sounds the same as here Trav was up at 4:30am on Saturday because I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed to him. Why won't tired babies go to sleep and stay asleep!

hamish has 3-4 half hour cat naps during the day and pretty much sleeps almost all night. he normally wakes for a bottle between 3-4am. last couple of nights i have left him in his cot and let him play without going in to give him a bottle and he has played himself back to sleep.
    we usually bath him in johnsons night time bath then massage the night time moisturiser in. we have found that helps him sleep.

We've tried massage, baby bedtime stuff, bath before bed, music, white noise, rocking, patting, singing... aaargh!

He takes ages to go to sleep at any time and cries the whole time, then he'll drop off, but when he wakes up overnight he takes about an hour to get back to sleep as well, it's exhausting

have u tried reading save our sleep or some other book?

Rooey - are you swaddling? Fraser hates it but it does the job. Also, are you using a dummy? I think the dummy has been our saviour as Fraser is a comfort sucker. I (personally) wouldn't try solids or anything yet as it will just make Indy even more unsettled. Are you always putting him in the same place to sleep (i.e. not in a bassinet one time then cot the next)? I can't get Fraser to sleep anywhere but his cot, but I don't think that is a bad thing, as he knows the routine now. Don't try to change too many things at once as you won't know what works.

Sorry - mightn't be much of a help at all - pray that things start settling for you sometime soon x

Oh no Rooey!! I was hoping wee Indy was sleeping a tad more during the night. Is he having lots of sleep (even frequent naps) during the day? I find that if Cam sleeps more than his normal 3 x 1/2 an hour to 45 minutes naps, he wakes up more during the night or wakes up earlier than normal. For the last couple of months, he really has cut down on his sleep during the day (hence my desperation to try to find things to entertain him!!!) but I guess that's b/c we have a routine now where he has a bottle between 7 and 8, and then a dream feed at 10.30 and then he sleeps through to approx. 5 am. We bath him every second night. We are using the dummy a LOT, and I find lately that he tends to wake me up 2 to 3 times during the night wriggling, and when I put his dummy back in he goes off to sleep. He's never done that before.......once the dummy fell out when he didn't want it anymore, that was it until he woke up in the morning. He's only done it for the last few days, must be something new.....very annoying as I'm being woken up during the night and sometimes it's hard going back to sleep. Like Teresa, we used to bath him in the J&J night time bath with lavender and then massage with the night time lotion, and that worked a treat, but he started to get pretty bad red skin patches and his eczema got worse so we got onto the Ego bath oil and lotion, no perfume. Seems to be working. Don't know what else to recommend hun, maybe a sleep school??????? Hope it all gets better for you soon, big hugs.

I'm sorry a few are having sleep probs, we are to an extent here but not too bad. DD wakes once overnight but has taken to staying wide awake, and it's so hard when all I want to do is get back to sleep. She is generally happy to lie and babble in her cot for up to an hour or so, but I can't sleep listening to her on the monitor and wondering if she's unwrapped herself. We have to swaddle here, she sleeps shockingly if she isn't, I tried getting her used to one hand out but it all went downhill. Her day sleeps are back to an hour if that, so yeah we're a little tired at this end too.

Reading Wonder Weeks, they say weeks 15 - 18 are humdingers with clingyness, broken sleeps, appetite changes, grumpiness etc as they are going through such a big developmental leap. This really fits my DD at the moment and I keep telling myself it's going to pass, but in the middle of the night, being dead tired with a wide awake baby it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometimes.

Meercat and Rooey I hope it starts to settle for you two, Tiah and Indy really soon. The No Cry Sleep Solution is a great book if you can get your hands on it, if you don't want to do crying it out or control crying, but unfortunately it's not an overnight fix-it solution.

Hi to everyone else too Lack of sleep aside, I am so amazed with the change in DD's awareness. Of everything. She looks so intently at things and watches processes, it's almost like you can hear and see the cogs turning as she absorbs everything. Amazing.

Hope you all have a great week

Thanks for all your suggestions gals.

We don't want to do CC, usually we cuddle him until he's drowsy (he cries and carries on during this, too) then put him in his cot, then he'll really go to town with crying and flailing around. We try to pat him and sooth him until he drops off, but usually we end up picking him up and re-settling him that way a few times because he gets so upset. If we rock him to sleep he wakes up when we put him down anyway, and see above for the result of that... Even feeding him to sleep he wakes up when he's put back in the cot He sleeps in his cot for naps, too. He usually ends up going to sleep at about 11pm to midnight just because it takes so long to get him to sleep, we start trying at about 9 most nights.

We only use the baby bedtime oil on his feet as he's broken out in a rash from it before, he's still only breastfed, he's not teething as far as I can tell... I have no idea why he's so hard to get to sleep! Aren't sleep schools just controlled crying?

Hun, we don't do the CC either. I don't let Cameron cry for more than 30 seconds I don't believe babies can settle themselves when they are that little. But that's my opinion and everyone will do what's best for them and baby anyway. I though sleep school was to establish a routine with sleeping???? Maybe I'm wrong.....I've had couple of GF who took their bubbas to sleep school as their wee ones just didn't want to sleep

Default Babies born~March 16th-31st 2010 #3

We don't use cc like u beata I am too soft lol. We don't let hamish nap any later then 5 then get him ready for bed anytime between 6 & 7. Usually no later then 7. Maybe try putting him to sleep a little earlier? Sorry I am not sure what else to offer u. Big hugs tho

Just wanting to clarify that I didn't mean we use CC or CIO, hence why I recommended the book as it's a No Cry effort But each to their own on whatever methods they choose to use.

Rooey have you got a bedtime routine in place? Every night DD has a bath, then when she is getting dressed after the bath we keep the lights lower in her room, softer voices, swaddled, book, then feed (in her room) then into her cot and if she isn't asleep already she's not far off. I really try not to feed her to sleep so she doesn't get used to it, I take her off when she's drowsy and pop her in the cot, but some nights she just crashes mid feed. We have a yellow battery operated Tomy star thing that we turn on, it hangs on the cot rail, and it goes for 10 mins and projects a light show on the ceiling and plays a lullaby. She often drifts off watching it, more the star then the ceiling. So many people told me I was creating a bad habit, making her dependent on it, and she'll never sleep without it, but you know what, if it winds her down and helps her sleep I can cop that. She sleeps in her pram and the car etc without it, and I do think it helps us. And hey, it took us weeks to have it all (the whole routine) fall into place properly and become familiar to her and really start working well at bedtime.

Maybe as Teresa said, it might not hurt to try it earlier, he might be really overtired by 9/10pm? We bath around 6/6.30, depending on when her last nap was, and she's always crashed by 7.30 at the latest.

Hope it all calms down soon

Default Babies born~March 16th-31st 2010 #3

Rooey and meercat - how long r their last naps and what time do u put them down? Maybe if it's a long nap try waking them gently so they go down earlier and sleep longer.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast