Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~September 16th-30th 2010 #1

Hi girls,

Just a quick one from me in between toilet stops (Gastro - i am in hell). Had 6 wk checkup today which I crawled to. Chloe is now 5.02 kg - thats a whopping 2 kg added in 6 weeks! Guess the breastmilk is doing the trick! ha ha. Got a jab in my bum to stop me vomiting while there. Doesnt seem to have worked yet. Just pray that whatever it is - Chloe doesnt get it. Also tried to get her passport photo done and the photo shop. Not successful. Will have to try again tomorrow if I am feeling up to it.

Looks like we are all in struggle town a little at the moment!
    x

fuzzy - oh dear.. I hope your gastro goes away very quickly. Wow Chloe is growing great! Can babies catch gastro from breastmilk? I suppose all the good antibodies they get from the milk might protect them from it? Hehe how cute getting passport photos done, when do you go to Bali? I'm jealous, and really thinking about starting to plan a trip somewhere next winter.. I think I'm getting the travel bug back again.

Belfie & Wite - I checked out the sleepy wrap, looks so comfy! and it looks like bubs will sleep so well in one, I couldn't help but order one too I got mine from the US website though, and took advantage of the great exchange rates and saved about $20 compared to the Aus sites. I hope it doesn't take too long to get here though. So much cheaper than Hug a Bubs and look the same.

dory - thanks I decided not to meet the nappy lady. It's not worth the risk to Isaac as I haven't been vaccinated against whooping cough yet. Glad to hear Hannah is having a sleepy day, did you try to rest while she slept? I know its hard to do that most of the time though. About expressing, Belfie is probably the best person to ask but just thought I'd add that a midwife told me that milk starts to be produced about 20 minutes after a feed. I don't envy you having to express, I had to do it for a couple of weeks because of the problems we had and it was so exhausting. I've been expressing bits every now and then to freeze, but sometimes I just can't be bothered, and Isaac feeds so frequently I just want to rest my boobs in between feeds. It sounds like you've got the feeding pretty much all sorted now, well done

Belfie - yay for the weight gain! Oh and I've been meaning to say I have huge respect for you being able to express for 12 months.. That really is an achievement, the couple of weeks I did it for really exhausted me.

I can't wait until tomorrow! My mum is coming for the afternoon to take Isaac for a walk and look after him while I SLEEP! She is even going to feed him for me with some of the EBM I've frozen.

I don't know if I've said this in another post already, but David (Isaacs father) has disappeared of facebook! Aargghh. I really want to tell him that he has a son, even if he doesn't want anything to do with him I just want him to know. I want to tell him that Isaac has his eyes and nose, and beautiful black curly hair. He probably has his mouth too, he looks nothing like me. Anyway, I have no idea how to contact him without getting anyone else involved. I don't even have his phone number. I keep thinking about what I'm going to tell Isaac when he's older, it's really upsetting me that I can't even tell him that his father even knows about him. I do have a couple of friends in common with David but it just feels so weird to ask them to pass on a message for me but it looks like that might be what I'll have to do.

Isaac is having longer awake times during the day now, and is waking up every 3 or 4 hours at night, and seems to be around the same times which is great, he seems to be falling into a bit of a pattern. Oh and he cried his first tear today! It was a bit heartbreaking, but there was only one little tear and I kissed it away and cuddled him and he stopped crying after a minute or two. I think he's had a bellyache, lots of squirming and face pulling. He's been lifting his head up a lot more too when he's on his tummy, and I'm sure I've seen a couple of smiles that aren't wind smiles.. so beautiful, but I don't want him to grow and change too quickly. I feel like this time is going to fly.

Belfie – what is a sleeping wrap? Sounds interesting lol

Fuzzy – sorry to hear about your gastro, I hope it passes soon

Bec – Im sorry to hear about Isaac’s father, I hope in some way you can get a hold of him as he has a beautiful son.

Not much news here again. Blake is weighing a health 4.86k and 56cm. The past few days he has been going back to his old self and projectile vomits again off EVERY bottle. The midwife told me its not the formula that its probably his tummy to full but every bottle seriously? Doesn’t affect his weight though.

Hi to everyone else.

Hi ladies,

Dory - I am so pleased HB is much more content now - it was such a relief to know there was a reason for Pearl's crying and be able to solve it - you must have felt the same after dealing with a distressed bub for so long - hopefully you can really start to enjoy being a mum (and get some sleep). It took me a while to catch up after we got out of hospital so just sleep as much as you can you will feel so much more human.

Deana - Pearl brings up some of every feed (sometimes it seems like she can't have anything left) but as long as Blake is still gaining weight he is getting what he needs - maybe use bibs (unless you are already?)

Bec - what a dilemma about Isaac's father!!!! by the sounds of things you know his name and surname and hopefully he will reappear (or at least Isaac can track him down at a later date). I reckon it's a great idea to plan a trip - now that our bubbas are out it is nice to have something to look forward to on the horizon. Sounds like he is sleeping for longer stretches for you which is great. Is your mum going to give him the EBM in a bottle? I will be interested to hear how that goes.

Fuzzy - I am pretty sure you can't pass gastro on through BM - you poor thing it is hard enough to take care of a new bubba without having to hug the toilet as well!!
    What happened with the passport pic?? We are planning a trip to Fiji or Vanuatu early next year so need to get Pearl's done as well.

Belfie - I got a close baby carrier sling after reading some rave reviews here about them aparently you can feed in it as well but I haven't tried yet in fact I haven't used it much at all as I planned to take Pearl out in the evenings when we walk the dog on the beach but it is just not a good time to be loading her in and out of the car so we are going to wait until she is having longer awake times so we are not disturbing her sleep in the evenings. Sounds like you and A are in the wars!! How did the family portrait go?? Are you getting the eczma under control??

AFM - Mum is here and LOVING having another grandie to cluck over. It's nice to have some comapany during the day and I can pop out in the car if I need to without loading Pearl up etc. I have discovered that breast milk on the head really fixes cardle cap (Pearl gets it on her eyebrows and scalp). Pearl is still going well but I am still battling the thrush (heading back to the dr now!) I am really sick of it now and just want to be able to feed without having to put up with pain for hours afterwards!!!

Bec - can you ask your mutual friends to get him to email you or something? Then I guess if you dont hear from him you will have to get them to pass on the message. Tough situation! Strange he disappeared off facebook too. Do you know where he works? Could you track down contact info for him via that?

Chuckie - Its easiest to take your own passport photos of bubs going by the guidelines on the form. Having said that we have taken about 200 and have not got a suitable one yet. It needs to be a flat white background, no shadows and bubs has to be looking directly at the camera with head straight mouth closed, neutral expression and hands by their sides. Ha ha - you can see why it is impossible! No luck yet but we will keep trying. We fly in a month so need to get our s**t together.

Deana - its not reflux is it? Have you tried feeding him less and does he still do it? Sounds like he is a great weight though

Hi to everyone else!

Feeling a bit better today. No more vomiting which is good. Its bloody hot here - like 33 degrees and hotter tomorrow!

thanks Deana

Chuckie - yeah I know his name and surname but we weren't friends on fb, but I was able to find him and send him a private message a couple of times. Now he's not there. Mum was going to give Isaac EBM in a bottle, that was the plan anyway but I forgot I had to go and have Isaac weighed, so after doing that and going to the shop it didn't happen. He doesn't like the dummy I got for him, so I would've loved to see if he'd take to a bottle, when I was feeding him EBM it was by syringe and my finger. I hope your thrush clears up, sounds painful. It must be great having your mum there

fuzzy - I think that's what I'll have to do. But I just feel kind of ashamed of the situation, and I'm not really comfortable telling people who aren't close friends but if that's the only way then I'll have to. I'm certain they'll guess the reason I'm trying to contact David. I think he probably got scared by the news (I never got any reply about the news of my pregnancy), and maybe that's why he's disappeared from fb. I know he's part of a professional dance troupe that performs at various places so he wouldn't have work contact details iykwim. If he really has been scared off by the baby news there's no way he'll get back to me anyway. Gggrr sorry for going on about it, but I don't know what to do yet. Wow are those passport photo guidelines a challenge or what! It sounds pretty much impossible! Good luck with it.

Well Isaac was weighed today, he's had a bit of a growth spurt and put on 610 grams in two weeks! And as for me, I'm slowly getting better at typing one handed while he feeds

Fuzzy - oh my. I just felt so so sad for you when you said you had gastro ... it's horrible at the best of times... let alone when you're a mum to a newborn. How is Chloe?

Bec - good news about Isaacs weight, but sorry about David. Guess he doesn't want to be found?

Belfie - how are you going with managing Annika's colic? Does she cry a lot? If at what times? Hope you are managing... I know it's very hard when they cry or are unsettled a lot.

Deana - sorry to hear Blake is back to projectile vomitting. My SIL is a Dr and she said just the other day that there is a condition that first born sons get where there is actually something minor wrong with their digestive system which can be very easily fixed by a small op. I am not sure what it is. I will ask her. Maybe you should ask DP to ask his mother whether he was a projectile vomitter, if DP is a first born son. My DH's oldest brother had it and his first born son had it. Distressing but good it's not affecting his weight.

Chuckie - glad you are enjoying your visitor! Hugs to Pearl.

Hello to Kirsten, Catherine, Apes, Wite, Buzzy, Pantha.

AFM - pretty sure I have an infection in my wound. Called the obs today and spoke to him, and I will pick up some antibiotics tomorrow. It's only in one small spot, but it's looking worse today even after my being more vigilant with my betadine wash and saline wash and getting the area into the sunshine and trying to keep it dry. Hannah has had another great day... I think I am so so lucky! Although yet again I had trouble getting to sleep until her 1.30am feed and then I only dozed lightly until 3am. What gives? I am hoping for a better night for me!

And to Connie - how is George going?

Chuckie – Blake had thrush as well. I don’t know if he still has it or not though. The midwife reckons he doesn’t as the tongue isn’t coated in white anymore, but the gums at the back are still white. I hope Pearl’s thrush clears up soon for you both.

Fuzzy – I asked the midwife if it was reflux and she reckons its not as ive been feeding him 150ml bottles but his intake is around 99mls as she worked it out, but even when I do feed him the 150mls, he only drinks around the 100ml anyway. Its so annoying. They also said its very normal for babies around 6-8 weeks to projectile vomit like this, but after 8 weeks its meant to stop. I might have to stick to the 100ml bottles, but I feel like he may still be hungry or when will I know to up the mls in the bottle later on?

Dory – I will differently ask about that. Just wish a midwife could help me instead of saying “its just the formula” grrrr. With Hannah sleeping at night, do you put her in her bassinet before she falls asleep or do you nurse her until she is asleep? The reason im asking is cause Blake was the same a couple of weeks ago, so I have taught him to put himself to sleep in his bassinet. He use to cry when I put him in there, but every 5 mins without taking him out of his bassinet, I would gently rub or tap his back and he would go to sleep. Also maybe attend an “early days session” in your area for babies and sleeping habits. Im still going to attend one next Thursday just to help me with his sleeping during the day, but its worth a shot with Hannah and other mothers give great advise as well.

Deana- With Blake throwing up after every bottle-Have you tried giving him HALF his bottle then stopping him, burping him then giving him the remainder of his bottle after a burp? I find that really helps keep the vomits down?!?

Bec- I'm not exactly sure what else you can do but pass on Isaacs birth to his dad through the grapevine..or perhaps get a mutual friend to pass on his email details or something so you can tell him that way? Surely someone will know why he dissapeared off Facebook! How gorgeous cring his first tear naawwww!!

Fuzzy- you poor thing having Gastro, i REALLY REALLY hope it passes for you soon, sending you truckloads of healthy mojo!

Connie- Hope all is well with George

Dory- Hope the antibiotics heal up the infection very soon for you and I hope it doesn't hurt at all?

Not much news no my end, Harlows now a Formula fed baby, It upsets me that I couldn't feed her long enough and it is my own fault for giving up so easily..but at the end of the day she is getting fed & that is the main thing..I haven't told my MCHN, she is a massive boob nazi & I just don't want to deal with it since she pushed the "there is no excuse for not breastfeeding if your supply is right in" thing on me last time. not sure how I can tell her I just gave up without being judged and me leaving in tears..wondering if I should just continue the "yes she is BF" lie or just tell her I just gave up because Formula was too easy an option and alot less frustration...

Bec - not sure about FB. Can he disappear from view from you but still exist on there for others to see? Not sure how that works exactly but if you want me to search for him for you just PM his full name.

Deana - Good luck with Blake. Perhaps, like Wite says, try breaking up the bottle. I need to burp Chloe halfway through otherwise she throws up too

Dory - oh no! i hope the antibiotics work quickly for u

Wite - its your choice - remind her of that!

hi everyone else

Gastro has gone. hooray! Another scorcher here - 36 degrees. arrrrrrh

Thankyou Fuzzy, That HAS made me feel alot better about it, sometimes i feel they are so pushy that it is "their" choice not our own with babies upbringings..I never had problems with Jetts MCHN but this one I have seen for Harlow-seen her once and decided I DO not like her (especially since she judged me because I don't drive and cannot believe a mother in this day and age doesn't drive and relies on public transport...!). Unfortunatly she is the only one in my area so I cannot change without a longer drive to the next one!

so much I wanna say but haven't had time. Got my sleepywrap this morning in the post and OMG it is AWESOME! Thanks heaps for telling us about it Wite. Bec, I reckon you'll love yours. and I'm an idiot, should have realised to order from o/s duh. I was just soon impatient. bummer re david too.

Fuzzy - oh gastro bites you poor thing so glad you're feelig better.

Somone asked why I expressed for Xander - long story short - flat nipples, never attached without nipple shields, ff top-ups from day one due to BSL's, BF'ing went down hill as he was a mouth-breather. Couldn't get my supply up enough to exclusively feed, hard work to BF, express & comp feed (Dory - you know this ). Once his allergies got worse & worse he would unattached a gazillion times a feed & got very frustrated.... milk everywhere & boy still hungry after 40 mins on boob! So went to EE cos I"m a pig-headed mule... THEN got my supply up enough, so clearly he wasn't feeding well. Was a million times better. Was told that babies don't mouth breath - mine did. Also foudn that in the short-term EE was actually so much less work than trying to BF, express & comp feed. It was the right decision for us given he wouldn't have fed well (allergies weren't picked up till 8mths). But in hindsight it is sooo much more work which is why I was hell-bent on BF'ing this time. Plus I think once you're comp feeding you are at more risk of nipple confusion & it's s'thing to be really careful/vigilant about.

Dory - best time to express is either after feeds in the morning, if HB is happy with one side, then express the other, or try to fit an "extra" feed in where you express. Again, morning is usually the best time to do this - partly cos of bubs tend to feed more spaced out & also you'll have more. I was expressing twice a day (both sides) after feeds initially cos nipple shields can cause you to be at higher risk of mastitis/supply issues (so they say, doesn't seem to cause me trouble)... and I would just express as soon as I had re-settled her. If you can hire a double pump you will get quite a bit more (cos you take advantage of the let-down on both sides simultaneously) and you can also rig up or buy a hands free expressing bra. I know some girls on here have done a DYI version, if you look on Nursing Angel site they have it for sale, easy expressions. How are you finding it tryign to express at present? It makes it pretty busy I know. Sorry to hear you have an infection too . Thanks for asking re A, I have my days where i feel super resilient & strong and think I can do this... and other days it's just like arrrrgh, i don't get 5 mins to do antyhing. I think the wrap will help me big time, and I think i've also accept that she's a baby that just needs to be upright a lot, and to adjust to that. My LC said I should keep her upright for 20-30 mins after each feed, plus try to feed one side & express the other... so it's really time consuming and i'm so mindful of not neglecting Xander... and then there's that crazy housework/cooking/washing stuff ha! Ah but then she smiles and it's all worthwhile!

Deanna - if you're wondering about reflux, it's not just how much they spit-up... it's also if their back arching & grizzling either during feed (especially latter half of feed I find) and arcing up crying an hour or so after feeding, or whenever lying flat. Another symptom is snuffliness & hoarse voice (A has this). She was also spitting up heaps, during the feed, after the feed, in her bassinet - but mostly small spitups, and her weight gain is still excellent because she's not yet put off feedig, but was starting to get more & more grizzly/fussy. I also have to have a bib on her always. She draws her legs up too, and just grizzle grizzle grizzle even in her sleep - I had to move her out of our room cos she's got so noisy . And honestly, compared to my DS (which doesn't help anyone else) she just SEEMED in pain. Inconsolable crying, falls asleep at drop of the hat but can't STAY asleep cos she's not comfortable. Do you think this fits Blake? Oh and apparenty some reflux babies are better on smaller feeds more often too...

We started meds fri night and yesterday she was a different baby, smiling at me every change! Still quite unsettled at times, but notable difference. Plus we're still doing a heap of things differently which is helping too, basically all the upright stuff.

Yaaay I thought she was about to wake all the way thru this post but she hastn'. Woo hoo, yay for the sleepywrap.

dory - oh no I hope your wound is ok and that the antibiotics clear it up quickly. And here's hoping you have a better nights sleep tonight, and hoping I do too, I feel like my eyes are going to fall out from tiredness sometimes when I can't have a nanna nap in the day time.

Deanna - I hope Blakes feeding issues improve soon

Wite - too bad about your mchn, judgemental people shouldn't really be in positions like that.

fuzzy - yeah I think that's possible about david just disappearing from me, and would make sense! thank you, I'll pm you soon. yay for your gastro going! I can't believe its so hot there, I've had to have the heater on for the last few days here

belfie - omg what dramas you had breastfeeding last time, good on you for expressing for so long. well done ooh and I'm so jealous you got your sleepywrap already! I have no idea how long mine is going to take to arrive. Did you find it hard to put on? What colour did you get? I ordered the dark green one.

Isaac smiled for real (not wind) for the first time today!! I was holding him while lined up to get my drivers license renewed when he did it, he must've sensed how bored I was and decided then to give me some huge smiles.. soo cute.

Hi girls!

Belfie- congratulations on persevering with BFing! You had such a tough time last time around. Have you tried sleeping A on her belly? I know everything says not to, but I find
    Lottie settles a lot quicker/easier on her belly. I just go in and flip her over once she's fully asleep. Baby smiles make everything worthwhile don't they? :-D

Bec - lol @ typing with one hand. It definitely becomes an art. How bout moving the mouse with your left hand?
    That's a wonderful weight gain! Have you had a middie or a Child Health Nurse call you a good cow yet? Your eyes kinda pop when they do, and it takes a bit to wrap your
    head around the fact that they're not insulting you, they're actually complimenting you.
    I hope you manage to work something out with David (if you ever get a hold of him).

fuzzy - you're in WA right? sheesh it's hot over there! How is Chloe coping with the heat?

wite - Don't beat yourself up. You are doing what's best for Harlow. A happy Mummy and a happy baby are more important than forcing yourself to breastfeed.
    Quite honestly, I admire your decision to FF. To me, it seems a LOT more work than BFing!
    How's Jett adjusting to having a little sister? Any jealous behaviours?

Deana - I agree with whoever it was that suggested burping Blake half way through his bottle. I do this with Lottie (I give her a bottle of EBM overnight rather than BFing).
    She settles so much quicker and doesn't bring up as much. I've found a way to check if Lottie is still hungry is to gently touch her cheek.
    If she turns towards it, I keep feeding her, otherwise I'd say she's done. Maybe give that a go with Blake.

Chuckie - quick question, what does cradle cap look like? is it dandruff-y? I think Lottie might be getting a little of it, but I'm not entirely sure if that's what it is. How's Pearl going?
    isn't it lovely having your Mum over?! :-D It means someone can keep an eye on her while you get in a quick nap, or do some quick housework.

dory - oh hun, you must be so uncomfortable with an infected wound. Is it affecting your ability to pick up Hannah-bear? Glad to hear that she's been having some good days!
    With expressing, I usually express after one of her morning feeds. I start on the one she's just finished on to make sure it's fully drained (only get a little from that).
    Then I move onto the other side. I usually get about 80mL doing that (which is perfect for her overnight feed!) Good luck. It's pretty tiring but rewarding when you see the
    bottle filling up.

Connie - how are you and George going? Has his infection cleared up? How are you feeling lately?

Apes, Buzzie , kirsten - how are you girls going? Everything ok with your bubs?

AFM - had my 6 week check-up on Monday. I'm still bleeding so the Dr has put me on a course of anti-biotics in the hopes that clears it up. If it hasn't stopped by the time I go back for Lottie's 2-month shots we'll look at a D&C. Does anyone know much about them? I'm kinda afraid to google it because I don't want to scare myself! The Dr was pretty useless in regards to DH's depression. We went in and said "we think DH is depressed, possibly PND"... the Dr referred us to the beyondblue website and told us to assess him against their criteria. So we did, we also checked out PANDA.org.au. According to those sites he possibly might have it.
    Lottie is going well. I'm giving her a bottle of EBM for her 2/3am feed. She settles so much faster than when it was a BF! Instead of being up for an hour plus, she's back down and asleep within 45mins! We've also found she hates lying flat on her back. Be it in bed or in the pram or even the change table! With bed, I've started letting her fall asleep on her belly then flipping her over once she's asleep - she settles within 10min on her belly, it takes half an hour on her back. In the pram, we just sit the back up and put a rolled up bit of lambs wool under her butt to stop her sliding down. With the change table... we just tough it out, not much else we can do. If both of us are home, one will change her while the other distracts her with a rattle. I still can't believe my baby girl is 6 weeks old tomorrow! I think she might have some teeth bothering her too. She's been really drooly and grizzly the past few days and when I look in her mouth she's got a couple of little nubs on her lower gums. I'm not certain though. Think I'll just keep an eye on them and ask the Dr at her 2-month appointment. Also, she's outgrown her co-sleeper! Tonight will be the first night in her own room, in her cot... I'm so nervous lol Very paranoid about not hearing her over the monitor or her stopping breathing or something. Guess it's just Mummy-nerves.

Anyways, that's all for my huge update!

Baby snuggles and smiles for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by bec293 View Post
    Did you find it hard to put on? What colour did you get? I ordered the dark green one.
    I was pretty clumsy/awkward the first time, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of at all (I thought it would be worse tbh) and I got the dark green one too

Wite - what colour did you get?

Hiya - just quickly from me ... sometimes I wonder if Hannah is refluxy - back arching, grizzle towards the end of feeds, wrenching away from the nipple, leg pumping, and less now but still sometimes easy to fall asleep but won't stay asleep. Hmmm..

Deana - it varies with how I settle Hannah. Most of the time I try for something like you do with Blake, but sometimes, it's in my arms ( if the other way hasn't worked after about 15 - 20 mins and or she is arching up) and less often now, on the breast.

Pantha - loving the idea of a quick turn around on those feeds in the nights...and teething... arghh

Belfie - thanks for the info... I was sending myself a little batty with trying to express... so have settled on at least twice a day. Today was only once as I had visitors and couldn't be naffed doing the feeding, comp feed and pull out to breast pump whilst they were here. It is hard work, doing the three - but I want to try and make sure Hannah is being fed enough plus keep up my supply so as to give this breast feeding thing a shot for a bit longer. I find the whole bottle routine is a pain - the cleaning and sterilising and waiting for the right temperature to feed....

Wite - it is your choice - you and Harlow have to be happy. She will be happy with being fed, so it has to work for you. But I know how you feel... at times I still feel guilty when the die hards pass judgement on my comp feeding.... but Hannah needed it, she just wasn't gaining enough weight and had lost weight since coming out of hossy.

Thanks for asking - I did get some more sleep last night and I wasn't madly trying to force myself to go back to sleep. Yay. The infection does hurt at the site of it, but not so much I can't lift Hannah, but it is starting to twinge. A little hole has also developed in the wound, where it seems to be opening up at the infection site. I get my antibiotics tomorrow, so hopefully will help clear it up quick smart.

Don't you just love baby smiles and the way their eyes get all crinkley in the corners? and their gurgles? As much as the sleep disruption is tough, I don't want her to grow up as I just love spending my time looking at her and this stage is just so precious. One thing about bottle feeding is you get to gaze into each others eyes, and you don't get that on the breast.

Oh I looked at the sleepy wrap and they look good...

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast