Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Babies born~September 16th-30th 2010 #1

Bec- we had NO routine with Jett & let him fall asleep when he wanted to etc during the day and he was fine, now at years of age he has actually fallen into his own routines without us being forced and is a very relaxed "go with the flow" kid! With Harlow I have tried to put her down awake and settle her that way but she isn't for it at all so I just hold her, whe she sleeps I put her down or I continue to hold her depending on the day and what I am doing etc..You just do what you feel works for you and it sounds like it works for you guys aswell

As for "can't do" with the Sleepywrap...Sucessfully split a chicken in half to marinade and roast (Including removing the backbone of it)...Pipe cupcake icing, Put wet ingredients for Gelato into the mixer without the black wrap wearing nutella & cream...HA HA!

Dory Ė thanks for the tip. Blake still didnít have a sleep until his bed time and he was in the worst mood. I had to walk away and count to 10, I was ready to pull my hair out.

Bec - I do the same as you with putting Blake to sleep. I wont force him to sleep. I play with him and when he starts getting his tired grizzle then ill put him to sleep. Before I knew Blake's tired sign's and grizzle, I would force him to sleep when he wasnt ready during the day and I think that was why he never slept during the day for me, but now i havent gotten to know his signs, its a lot easier to put him to sleep. your doing a wonderful job and I wouldnt change it. You know your little man the most and no one can tell you if your doing something wrong as they dont know Isaac and his routine. Keep up the good work I reckon.

Belfie Ė The Zantac is great; he hasnít vomited in a long time. Thanks for the tip, ill differently start mixing things around next time he gets in that mood.
    Also did it take Annika a few attemps to sleep through the night? Blake slept for 3 nights straight last week then for a few nights he started back on his routine as waking at 3:30am, then again this week, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights he slept through again, but last night woke at 2am. Is this common? Does it mean he is on his way to sleeping through the night soon though?

Little man just woke up better go, ill catch up on more later on

Just a quick question - is anyones bubs ever have green poo? Bella had a couple weeks of very green poo (sometimes dark but mostly bright, even fluro maybe)and the midwives said it could be wind.. wouldnt of thought that made a difference, some ppl say it could be what im eating, she doesnt seem sick or have other issues... its slowly starting to go back to yellow now but just curious if anyone elses experienced it. Im so sure Ash had it too as a baby..... im not eating anything unsual i dont think.

Hi Buzzie - Chloe had green poo off and on for about a week. It was when her wind was at its worst but I dont know what causes it. I have also read that they can have green poo from getting too much foremilk and not enough hind milk. This was what caused it with Chloe I think. I switched from shorter feeds on both breasts to one long feed from one and it went back to a normal colour - well yellow/orange if you can call that normal! Lol

wow, so much to catch up on! This is going to be a bit of a me post... sorry!

Green poo - Lottie has been doing a couple of those lately too! I've only really noticed them after she had her vaccinations so maybe there's a link there.

Hubby is now on medication for his PPND... and getting horrid side-effects that we've been told to "persevere through". *sigh* sometimes I feel like a Mum of a 2 month old and a 27 year old lol

Lottie aged us about 10 years Saturday night/Sunday morning. We put her to bed at around 8/9 as usual. Sometimes she'll sleep til 2 other times it's 3. About 3 we heard her snuffling over the monitor. At first it was just her normal "settling myself back to sleep" snuffle... but it didn't sound quite right to me so I got up to check her - and screamed for DH to come quick because something was wrong. She was on her back, drool pouring out of her mouth, struggling to breath, back arched, huge tight round belly. It was terrifying! In the process of picking her up, I flipped her over and that seemed to calm her a little. I tried burping her and couldn't get anything, so passed her over to DH while I ran to get the Infants Friend. I come back in and DH's face turned white... the colour just drained away and he's said "I'm going to faint". So, I get struggling bub back and get DH to sit on the floor for a bit. Once he's got himself under control, we gave her some Infants Friend and had a HUGE burp which seemed to help calm her a bit. We sat up with her for the next hour, her farting all the time and falling asleep. DH turned to me and said "Who knew we'd get so excited over a burp?" She's been really farty ever since - but no more big belly and no more struggling to breathe!

Had her shots on Monday. Oh gods that was tough! She LOVED the oral dose and I'm not sure if she was objecting to being held still, or the needles themselves but we only really had a couple of screams/tears. I was a mess though lol Came home and she was fine. Yesterday she was VERY sleepy and her temp got to about 37.6 but she's come good today.

We fly out tomorrow for my sister's wedding. We'll be gone about 5 days. I really hope I've packed enough for her. We decided to put her in disposables while we're away because it'll be too much effort to try and find a laundry to wash the Baby Beehinds. So I've packed about 50 newborn nappies (she's only 4.5kg... they should still fit... I hope lol) I ended up just sweeping my arm across the shelf in her cupboard and packing all the clothes in the wardrobe... hope that'll be enough! I'm just praying that BFing or her dummy will work for her poor little ears on the take off/landing!

She's been a real chatterbox lately too! LOVES talking to people, her mobile, the air lol
    Sometimes she'll pull her dummy out of her mouth and suck on her hand. She's so drooly lately that I've been having to change her suit and singlet because they're sopping wet! Really hope it's not the first signs of teething... considering the way she pulls on my boobs sometimes, I'm actually a little scared of her getting teeth lol

Anyway, got some more last minute packing to do... I hope I don't forget anything!

Hugs for all Mums and bubs!

ooo PS forgot to add. She's been an AWESOME sleeper lately! We'll put her to bed sometime between 7pm - 9pm and she'll sleep through til 2/3am and then the feed after that is about 6/7am. Last night we put her down at about 9pm, she woke at 2 - I put her dummy in so she could suck on something while I warmed a bottle and she fell asleep!! Didn't wake again til 4.50 this morning! Looks like we're almost sleeping through the night - very proud :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzie View Post
    Just a quick question - is anyones bubs ever have green poo? Bella had a couple weeks of very green poo (sometimes dark but mostly bright, even fluro maybe)and the midwives said it could be wind.. wouldnt of thought that made a difference, some ppl say it could be what im eating, she doesnt seem sick or have other issues... its slowly starting to go back to yellow now but just curious if anyone elses experienced it. Im so sure Ash had it too as a baby..... im not eating anything unsual i dont think.
    We have had exactly the same here. My LC said it could be an issue with dairy intolerance... but er... duh i'm off dairy anyway! I'm only feeding off one side for most of the day, so it shouldn't be a foremilk issue either. Seems to be slowly improving and she's actually been very settled while she had it. My DS had it once for a few weeks too, and I figure it's just a little infection or something that their body is fighting off or maturing... .

Bec - totally understand you asking those questions then thinking differently later. I do that too, second guess myself and then think geez shouldn't I know what I'm doing second time round!!?!? Truth is every baby is different and every baby-mummy routine is different. you work out what works for you. I personally try to not keep Annika up for too long after each feed cos I feel babies get overtired quite easiliy and I do think many so-called tired signs (yawning, grizzling) are a bit late... they need to go down earlier than that. BUT, she is definitely quite different to DS in her sleep patterns & wakefulness... so I feel i'm learning all over again how to speak her language. Best thing is to trust your gut feelings & go with the flow (which I know you do), and you will always be the best mummy in the world for Isaac.

Sleepywrap - is it wrong that i CAN go to the toilet in mine & have done so many times? Oh and I can change DS's nappy while she's in it. But it's not easy. I've attempted to feed in it, but it didn't really work. Wite... lol loved some of your attempts!

Have now also fed a few times in quite public places using my nursing cover... ooh I love it. Tonight I went to a talk on parenting (more re toddlers), and was the ONLY one with a baby... they all turned to look at me (at the back) when she grizzled, and I was so glad I had the cover on... otherwise they woulda copped an eyeful of nipple shield & boobie! Madonna eat your heart out, who needs a pointy bra when a nipple shield will do! Also fed in the cafe at Ikea... woo hoo!!

Pantha - OMG how scary with the wind! What a horrible reaciton and omg you poor thing re DH. You ARE the tough one huh - guess you don't have much choice . Have a great time on the trip and woo hoo on the sleeping, that's great.

Wite - that sounds like what I do with Isaac too, hold him until he sleeps. And those things you can't do wearing a sleepywrap, well don't worry, I don't think I could do them without a sleepywrap! the nutella gelato sounds sooo good btw

Deana - thanks, sometimes I just think omg is this right? then i realise that there's no 'right', only what's right for us. So happy for you that you're getting at least a few good nights sleep and the vomiting has stopped

Buzzie - no green poo here

Pantha - omg how terrifying. I'm glad Lottie is ok. It sounds like Infants Friend was a good thing to have on hand, I'm not sure what it is but I'll be looking for it now. I hope you have a good flight. I've decided to get some disposables for our trip too, it'll be easier to not have to wash them or carry a wetbag for dirty nappies around. I think Isaac has outgrown the newborn size (he's 5.3 kg now!) so I'll have to get the next size up. I'll prob pack all his clothes too! Oh and I'm not taking any bottles of bath stuff etc, I'm packing all the little samples I got in the Bounty Bags instead to save space. Have a fantastic time!

Belfie - thanks, I do still just go with the flow, and I think that's what I was worried about.. that maybe there was something I wasn't doing but should be. I'm normally happy the way things are, and when I remembered that I was fine. I think if I tried to get Isaac to sleep soon after a feed then he wouldn't have much awake time as he only wakes up when he's hungry.. he's a feeding machine!
    LOL to be honest I haven't actually tried going to the toilet wearing the sleepywrap, but now I will! And wow how on earth do you change a nappy in it?? I don't think I've seen a nursing cover before, is it just like a muslin wrap or something? Congrats on the public feeding! I've fed twice in the op-shop so far, but it was pretty private, and once outside on the deck at the pub! I didn't think to use a cover, but the top I had on covered mostly everything and there was no one around anyway. It was a good feeling to know I could do it though

Busy day for us tomorrow.. first mothers group meeting and 6 week dr's appointment all in one day.. phew.

Pantha - that sounds terrifying! I hope your DH is ok and improves a lot very very soon.

Bec - I pick Chloe up at 10:30 pm when she is asleep and carefully put her to my boob. When my nipple touches her near her mouth she will take it and feed without waking up. Usually for 5-10 mins. Then I just sit her up and she burps easily because she is so relaxed. I have tried a few times just letting her go but I can see she will wake at about 11:30 if I dont dreamfeed. With the dreamfeed she sleeps through until around 1:30. After that she is still waking at 4:30 for some reason - has a grizzle. Then again at 5:30 when I pull her into bed with us and give her a feed before she sleeps next to me until 7am. Hoping that at some point she will go later than 1:30 and sleep until 6 at least without waking. FX hey. I go with the flow during the day too. The only routines we have are a feed at 7am and to bed for 7pm. Initially I balked at the 7pm bedtime but she takes to it really well and it gives us more time to hang out at night.

Yep Belfie, Apes, Deana - very jealous of your fantastically sleeping bubs. I am getting enough though. Enough to function and I am sure she will get better in her own time.

Better go hang the washing out while she is still sleeping. She fed at 9 am and now its 12:30 pm and she is still asleep!

Hi ladies,

Buzzie - Great that you and DP have sorted out your issues - just don't take any crap - you (and your bubs) deserve the best! Pearl has had green poo for a few weeks now - she is fine though so I think it just varies.

Pantha - crikey what a fright you must have both got. That sounds like some serious wind. Funny how blokes seem to just flake out and we have to take control. My DH had to sit down in the operating theatre when they were giving me my needle for the spinal block! Great news on the sleeping front - sometimes it feels like it's never going to get any easier and suddenly they pull out some great improvements and we have hope! Hurrah!

Bec - I tried for a while to get Pearl into a same time every day for feeds routine but she would adjust it by half hour or so each day and I gave up because it was causing me stress trying to remember when she last fed. We totally go with the flow here now I just have a few loose rules that I try to follow about not feeding every half hour (except under extreme circumstances) and a basic eat, play, sleep routine. Pearl is slowly putting herself into a schedule that involves a short wake time first thing in the morning followed by a short nap then a longer wake time and longer nap X2 (if that makes sense) but if she varies from that it is no big deal, if I am doing something she just comes along anyway so it doesn't matter. Isaac is such a big stong boy - your bbs are doing a great job. I have always thought ladies bfed on take off and landing - that would be my plan anyway. Have a great time in Perth! At least the flight from Adelaide is not too long!

Belfie - Gosh you are organised I just whip out the boob where ever I am, fed in the office of the crash repairers yesterday! I was interested to read what you said about mainly feeding off one boob during the day - is that because one side is easier for you to feed out of? does the other side end up drying up? How does that work?

Deana - I reckon the bubs will constantly change their routines forever so it is probably best to enjoy any sleep you can get, when you can get it! I'm really pleased Blake is feeling better.

Wite - where do you live? I'm coming around for dinner, or lunch, or a snack - sounds like you cook up a storm!

AFM- Pearl had a great night last night slept from 7pm until 3:45am (dreamfeed at 10:30pm) The only problem was my boob woke me up at 3am ready for her to feed. For those with older kids - how long does it take for your boobs to get used to cutting out the night time feed? I reckon I finally turned a corner with the nipple vasospasm this week and have started to have more good days than bad (don't know if it's just because I am mananging it better - don't think so). So that is a big relief! I am still on the drugs and have to time the night time feeds so the good boob is availible for the middle of the night one or I can't get back to sleep but things are generally a lot better than they were. I was wondering if anyone has experience of just feeding off one side because that would make my life a lot easier (at least until the other side gets better).

Chuckie - I didn't make sense lol. I feed only one side per feed. So feed on L, change, put back on L. Next feed do the same with the right. She's started to drop a feed (only 5 a day) and I prefer my L (R gets a bit sore at times) so if I can swing it, I might do L, R, L, R, L... so R doesn't do as much work tehehe. But I know i've got a slight discrepancy in supply because of it. I also sometimes give her both sides on the last 1 or 2 feeds of the day - just depends how hungry she is. I guess you could try feeding off one side & expressing the other, but I imagine that would be a PITA. I think you're doing really well to manage the nipple vasospasm - wish I had something more useful to suggest, but really just big congrats! As for night feeds, I'm finding as she does it more & more my supply is slowly adjusting. Yesterday morning I ended up getting her up at 7.30am cos I didn't dare express and I was soooo full! I think your supply just adjusts as they space the feeds out more.

Bec - Bebe Au Lait sell nursing covers, basically like a fancy scarf. Initially i thought it would be a total waste of money but it's got a cool little plasticy curved bit at the top so you put it over you like a big scarf/apron & you can look down into it. And the strap goes around behind ur head to hold it in place... depends how private you wanna be really. Google nursing covers and you'll see 'em. I really find I need to sit around with boobie hanging out & shield on (can't discreetly cover the shield with a t-shirt) so the cover works well for me. I think without the shield I wouldn't need it as much tbh.

Hi to everyone else. i had a hair cut & colour yesterday omg I feel like a new woman today it's fab.

just a quick one from me as I need to go to the shop soon and get dinner.

As for the green poo, Blake pretty much always has the dark green poo, I asked the midwife and she said its nothing to worry about as this is normal in bottlefeed babies. The formula just has alot of iron which causes the green poo. As long as Blake isnt constipated then its nothing to worry about.

fuzzy - thanks, but it looks like I can't dreamfeed! Isaac wakes up. Oh well it was worth a try. It sounds like Chloe and Isaac are on similar night waking times. Isaac usually wakes for a feed at 11-12, then 3 or 4, then somewhere between 5:30-7. If he wakes before 7, I kind of do the same as you, I take him out of his 'my little bed' (which is on my bed) and sleep him next to me. That way I can feed him lying down and we both drift off to sleep during the feed then wake up at a more normal hour.

Chuckie - that's great Pearl is getting into her own daytime pattern. To be honest I don't know if Isaac is. Like you I go with the flow, but so much so that I don't even know how many feeds we do in a day. I keep meaning to write down feed times etc for a few days to see if there really is a pattern, but I'm hopeless at sticking to it! Thanks, he is getting so big! He looked twice the size of a 9 week old yesterday!

We had our first mothers group yesterday, it's such a great group of new mums.. I'm so happy the classes have finally started! We also had our 6 week check up yesterday. It was funny in the waiting room, the Dr called 'Isaac' and I didn't even register that he meant us.. anyway all is good, Isaac has eczema on his face and arms though, like tiny raised bumps. I've booked in with a surgeon to fix my carpal tunnel as it's so bad now I can't feel much with my right hand.. I can't feel if a nappy is wet and if I try to pick up a piece of cotton I can't even feel it and the pain is not easing up either.

Isaac had his immunisations today. The dr decided to do them a bit early as we're going away tomorrow and I was worried about him picking up something from the crowded places we'll be in. OMG it was so awful. I held his legs while he got the needles, and far out. He screamed like I've never heard him scream before. I wasn't prepared at all for that, and it even made me cry a little bit.. it was so awful to see him in pain even for a few seconds. After a BF he slept for 3 hours which is unheard of for him during the day. Next time mum is taking him, I don't think I could do that again! So while he slept I treated myself to a haircut, some new clothes and a hot chocolate Tonight though he's been really unsettled and grumpy. I really hope he has some good sleeps tonight, I don't think I could cope with an over tired grumpy baby on the plane tomorrow.

I'm not having access to a computer for the next week, so take care everyone and I hope you and your bubs have a fantastic week

Chuckie- Melbourne..come on over-I'm baking Blondies today and about to cook poached eggs, spinach & Hollandaise for rbekky!! I LOVE to cook and create, It is one of my favourite things to do

Bec- Enjoy your trip! I hope Isaac is happier today and goes well on the flight

Bec - good luck on your flight and enjoy your holiday. Poor you and Isaac with his vaccinations! Hope he's feeling better today. Will miss you this week while you're away. That is so funny about not registering that Isaac meant you both at the Dr's! I know what you mean ... when we first went to the Paed I was surprised when he called Hannah. Fortunately he was looking at me so I did work it out! I don't have a clock based "routine" for Hannah either. Well ours is - sleep, feed, play, feed, settle, sleep but when exactly that happens in any 24 hour period is up to Hannah. But then again, there are days I can not get to her sleep, so I just go with the flow. Sometimes she's happy just gooing away in her cot and kicking, when I would prefer her to be asleep. Other times something is up and she needs loads of attention. I just take it as it comes. But really you have to find what works for you and Isaac. As long as what you are doing doesn't put either of you in harms way, and it works, then it's right for you. It's weird when Hannah was exceptionally unsettled all of the time I wanted desperately to go to the day stay sleep clinic but was too vulnerable and didn't want to feel like I was "doing it all wrong". Now? I could go and not worry. Weird huh?

Isn't it weird how just having ONE appointment can take up most of the day and then TWO? I am getting better at mastering two appointments in one day.

Pantha - OMG that is so scary .... hope you and Lottie and DP have recovered from your ordeal. Is DP normally a fainter?

Wite - yum.... your breakie sounds awesome. Does Jett like your cooking? My friends daughter said in response to pumpkin risotto ... you don't need to bother making that again... at 4 years old!

Chuckie - glad there is some improvement on the vasospasm front. I know the feeling about being woken up by the exploding boob. My supply is still all over the place, so sometimes I wake up completely drenched from both boobs even through the nursing pad. Glad to hear Pearl had such a good sleep. It makes it easier for you. Hopefully there are more nights like that on the way.

Deana - always green? Guess you're used to it. Just like we are used to Hannah's exploding bowels. She goes about every second day and fills 3-4 nappies in one go. I suppose I could just let her fill one but that would mean it overflows everywhere. Each individual nappy is close to overflowing. The whole process from first grunt to final change can take 20 mins.

Buzzie - No green poo here yet...although Hannah had a cute little skart ( skid mark from a fart) today. PML. How are things going with DP?

Fuzzy - Hannah slept like there was a shortage on sleep the past couple of days... I am sure she slept for 7 hours, wake, feed and then for another 4 or 5. It was awesome - at night and everything. Then the next day she was sleepy too, and slept well but not as long. But the next day she was back to short sleeps during the day and about 3 - 4 hour blocks at night. And then today back to being a sleep refuser. I just got her down after she woke at 7.30am this morning. She tends to cat nap during the day - usually about an hour.

Hope Chloe gives you a good long nights sleep soon.

Belife - oh you new woman you! Woot Woot! . I coloured my hair myself the other day - can't believe I squeezed it in in between sleeps. Next is going out for a cut! Bring it on. I don't have a "hooter hider" - but after using muslin or bunny rugs - I think I might get one. The DIY versions come adrift and then everything is exposed. I am too lazy to go out and get some nursing tops so i wear a cami underneath my shirt so at least the general public doesn't cop an eye full of my belly as well, but even then, it's awkward. One of the ladies in my mums group has one like you described and it looks awesome and so easy. I had to laugh about your comment about Madonna!

Hello to Apes & Kirsten & Catherine and Connie. Catherine and Connie have gone MIA.

AFM - well I will soon be able to let you know what I can and can't do in the sleepywrap as I bought one last night during the sale. Sadly I was asleep and missed the 40% off but did get 30% off. Thanks for the tip of the sale! Well am going to try and have a nap. Think I am getting a cold or something. Feeling run down and sore throat. Boo hoo for me.

Lovely ladies... I'm not missing! I am reading, but my laptop died and I can't respond properly on my stupid phone!

George has slept 11:30pm-6am the last 2 nights! Yippeee! Although he is 16 weeks now, developmental he is only 9 weeks, so we're going through the same things as you guys.

DH took G out today and so many people played with him, he came home and was so overstimulated, he cried for an hour straight it was so hard.

I'm struggling with getting him to sleep properly during the day. I suck at reading his tired signs.

Anyway, just checking in... I'm still around, still reading and still learning.

Connie - great to hear from you! It is so hard when they are over stimulated huh? There is no magic cure either....it seems time is the only thing. Seems they need to cry it out to be able to settle. I too suck at reading Hannah's tired signs.... now if she's had a decent sleep I just go by the clock, because I always miss her signs. A friend who went to Tresillian told me that babies can only really stay awake about an hour and the MCHN said the same but she said 1 hour twenty. So I now try to make sure I am at least preparing Hannah for sleep about 90 mins after she wakes up, if she is not tired beforehand. Seems to be working more often than not. But if she's not sleepy, then lately, she's content to just be in her cot, kicking and gooing and gaaing. She has a mobile to look at and if it's hot the ceiling fan too. The fan seems to be a great hit in fact. Anyway.... hope your computer gets up and running again soon. It really is so good to hear form you....

Dory- Jett loves my coooking! He loves helping in the kitchen aswell, topping pizza, rolling dough, licking empty bowls of cake batter!! How cute your friends 4yo saying that hahaha! Kids say the funniest things don't they!

Connie- Don't worry! I suck at reading those tired signs aswell! The MCHN told me how to recognise them but it all happens so quickly that I miss them! Soudns like he has been having some great night sleep which is really good!!

Hi Connie- great to here from you! 16 weeks - that has gone so quickly. Yeh tired signs are HARD.

Has anyone else heard of 'dunstons baby language' I have been researching it a bit and it has really helped me decipher signs with Chloe. Check out some footage at YouTube - what baby cries mean

Basically there are 5 main sounds that babies make:
    1. Neh = hungry (or can be a 'n' sound). Made by the sucking motion of their tongue on the roof of their mouth
    2. Eh = i need to burp
    3. Er = a more aggressive and angry 'eh' which means Wind
    4. Ow or Aww = i am tired. While making an 'O' shape with their mouths
    5. Huh = i am uncomfortable, i.e. hot/cold/nappy

The only thing is Chloe makes the 'neh' sound when she is not hungry still because she loves to suck things... otherwise they have been all good!

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast