Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, April '05 #2

Morning Girls

Thought I should pop in and let you all know how things are going. Have been a bit scarce as I am feeling very sore.

Nixee's first night home was pretty hellish but I put that down to after having to give so much blood for tests and having her hep injection etc. Sunday night was really good. She had a bottle at 11.30 and slept till 3.50 then till 5.30 when she seemed to want a top up and then slept from 6.30 until 11.45. Last night she slept from midnight until 4 and is still asleep now. She is a piggy with her feeds and is happily guzzling 60 - 70 mls a time.

The kids are wrapped in her but unfortunatel are both sick with a virus so they cant go near her. My ds has been so upset over it and has been crying at the drop of a hat because he wants to hold her.

Dh has been an absolute hero. He has helped so much as I am so sore. He does the botttles and sterilising and let me sleep all night last night. Gotta Love Him!!!

Not sure where to post this but I though someone would be able to help me somehow. I am not breastfeeding and my milk came in last night but my bbs are red hot and so lumpy. Do I just leave them or what??? I had asked for something to stop the milk at the hospital but they forgot.

Will start catching up on posts from now so I can do personals.

Kayla, sorry I never had to deal with milk coming in and not using a baby on them But I do know that if you put some cabbage leaves in your bra they are supposed to help with them engorgement.

What a bugger that the other kiddies are not well, hopefully the get better soon and can start to enjoy their new little sister.

Hope that you are feeling better soon too.

Take care
    Trish

Debbie Lee Guest

Hey guys,
    Just posted a birth announcement for Fi. Her little Jenna Morine is finally here! Now she can join us here! WOO HOO!!

Kayla - sorry to hear you had a rough first night at home. It seems to be the done thing with bringing babies home, hey? It's no good that Nixee's siblings are sick either. The poor things. They must feel like lollies are being wafted under their nose and they can't have any.

Last night went really well. We had our ANC reunion. Our midwife was there and she sat with all of us one on one and asked about our birth. We all had pretty different experiences so it was a mixed bag. 3 of us were c-sections, one a vacuum extraction with a spinal block and the other a completely natural birth but with 30 stitches from tearing. We were there until about 9pm and would have stayed longer if we weren't all afraid that our babies were going to crack the poos. All of them slept through the whole thing in their prams!! We are going to organise another get together so that Fi can make it this time. The midwife wants to hear all about her experience too!

We got home, I gave Gabby a bath and a bottle and she zonked it for 4 hours. By this stage, my boobs were just about bursting so she got a huge feed (took an hour and a half!) but only slept for another 2 hours. 6 hours sounds great but not broken up! I think she wakes up when Neil has a shower as the bathroom is right next door to her room. Not sure if I can do anything about that So I was up again at 6am, trying to get her to go back to sleep but she wanted to play. The little bugger was smiling away, eyes wide open. So I put her in the bouncer for a play while I had breaky then gave her another huge feed. The poor thing is so windy that it's hard to put her back in her cot because she hates being on her back. Still, she went back down at 8am and is still down without a peep. Here's hoping she gets a good few hours. I should be back in bed but I am awake now. By the time I drift off again, I will just have to get up to have a shower because I have visitors coming at 10am. Ah well. I have it far better than some.

Speaking of which, I am soooo sorry to hear you had another rotten night, Sarah. Just when we thought Zander had settled down, hey? Big :hugs: 4 you.

Firstly Congratulations Fi on your little girl. WTG girl =D>

Deb, You think that when you gt such a good feed into them that they would just sleep for ages hey. If only it would work that way.

Gee Tehya stinks. I just walked into the lounge room where she is and blamed one of the boys for farting and it was her 8-[ LOL Don't you hate it when you've only just finished changing them and they do another poo...

Sarah, sorry that you had another bad night. Maybe Zander was trying to make up for the good day that you had yesterday

Take care
    Trish

Ok so I'll explain the crappy night first. Had a bottle at 11pm but played until 1am before going to sleep. Up again at 2am spewing, so had a clothes change. Up again at 3.15 for a bottle & was then wide eyed & playing until 4.45 then up at 6.05 for another bottle. So just over 3 hrs sleep for both of us ](*,) We did manage though another 2hrs between 7.00 & 9.00

LOL at blaming the boys for farting! Sounds like she's going to give them a run for their money in the smelly stakes!

YAY for Fi. Big congrats on your little girl!

Sounds like you guys had a good reunion Deb, our group didn't organise anything like that.

Wow sounds like Nixee likes her feeds! Aww her poor brother & sister, I bet they can't wait to get better - after all this time they can't hold her, must be frustrating! Not sure about milk either, mine never came in properly.

Oh no Kathryn, what's up with Kam?

hi all
    Kayla - I had the same problem and was told to just wait it out and eventually your boobs will go back to normal. In the meantime cold packs or disposable nappies that have been wet and then frozen help with the swelling

Hey girls,
    Deb, it sounds like all you girls at your ANC had a bit of a rough time during their labours. We never organised anything after ours either (when I was pg with Em, I see them everynow and then and just walk passed wondering who they where because I know their face, then ten minutes later I think 'oooooh they were from our ANC!!').

Sarh, I am sorry to hear you had a bad night. I hope oyu are catching up on your sleep during the day... you must be exhausted you poor chook!

Violet is doing ok. She gets belly aches and I can feel her belly tighten and her legs come up to her belly and she whinges. Poor girl. I think the major problem is that I have too much milk and she gets all windy and sometimes it doesn't all come up and it gives her a belly ache. She had a bit of raw skin under her arm from me not drying it properly once. it has all bit cleared up now, I am glad for those two hot days, gave me a chance to get some air on it.

Tanya

Aww poor Violet. I am so paranoid about not drying Zander properly after his baths in case that happens.

Do you guys have any suggestions for constipation? I thought it was the thickened formula doing it, but now that we are back on regular formula he's still the same. I think it might be his meds causing it.

We used a half tsp of brown sugar in 50mls of warm cooled boiled water as our ECHN told us and it worked wonders on bad constipation days with Matilda...her first meds caused it with her...

We also used extremely diluted prune juice. But apparently thats harder on her belly, and we got a bit of extra screaming those times too...

Debbie Lee Guest

Sarah - you are right - that was a shocking night for you guys! You must be buggered! Constipation added to that is no good at all. Apparently it gets easier as they get older. Hmmm.... what do we do in the mean time, hey??

Tanya - Poor little Violet with her tummy aches. It's so hard that they can't tell us what is wrong, hey?

Trish - LOL @ blaming the boys for Tehya's poo. It must have been a whoppa!

I am sooooo over this. She hasn't slept since 6am this morning apart from little cat-naps here and there. It's driving me crazy! All she wants is the boob but it's obviously giving her wind. I just wish I knew how much she was drinking so I could tell if she is getting enough from me.

My sister is inside atm cuddling her to try and get her to sleep. Every time I try to put her down she wakes up. I am going insane!!!!!!

Deb - The reunion sounds great. We did something similar when I had my ds. Its really interesting finding out how everyone went etc. Nixee is doing the crying and catnap thing too today.

Trish its funny when you assume bad smells come from boys lol. I did that last night but it was my eldest daughter that the reek came from.

Sarah I am sorry you had a crappy night sweety Heres hoping for a better one tonight and that things sort themselves out soon for you. I also used the same method as Christy with the constipation and it worked for us too. Hoping not to need it with Nixee.

Bon Thanks for the advice. Its the worst feeling Makes it awfully hard to get comfortable.

Tanya I hope Violets belly aches go away. Its so hard watching them suffer.

I cant stop staring at Nixee. All i do is look at her and smile lol. Its like an addiction. I nearly have her site finished so you can all have a looksie at her.

I had a bit of the baby blues last night and had a good cry. My back is so painful and I despise having to take all these painkillers just to function.

Off to feed my precious now. So happy for Fi it has really made my day.

Kayla, I was never given anything to stop my milk from coming in because my hossy doesnt like giving the tablets as a few people have died from taken them(scary huh?) So i just waited it out. They actually didnt get that sore really, i just took a bit of panadol and it was gone the next day.

Deb, maybe Gabby isn't hungry all that time but just needs a comfort suck? Not sure what you can do about that though. Do you give her a dummy? Lily still does this sometimes, so i give her the dummy, but now she doesnt like it and loved her thumb! I can get rid of a dummy but not a thumb, dammit!

Trish, lol at blaming the boys. Whenever Lily farts(and they are loud and stinky) i always blame it on Jacob. Can't see how such a little girl can make such a loud noise!

Spoke too soon about the constipation - all of a suddent his morning he had a nice big poo that was the right sort of consistency! He seemed in a lot of pain trying to do it though... Thanks for the brown sugar & water suggestion Christy, I'll try it out if I need it.

Hope your back feels better soon Kayla.

Awww Deb you poor thing - I am so with oyu on the not sleeping issue, it drives you NUTS!

Hey Deb, feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but what about a nice relaxing walk outside for the both of you? They always say outdoors can sometimes tire/relax a bub. Pop her in that wizz bang wonderful stroller of hers and go for a stroll around the block.

Seeing I have no babies, and have not just had major surgery, tell me to bugga off if you like.

Yay for the poo Sarah... (sounds weird )

Deb, Gabby reminds me of Emily (even her little squashed nose when she was born ). Emily was a 'cruisy baby' for a few weeks after birth... then it began, I couldn't believe how easy I had it!!! Eventually she got used to being cuddled she would only sleep if she was cuddled. Is this the prob? I hope it isn't and tomorrow is completely different. Are you going to book in to the BF day-stay?
    BTW I don't find it that hard to change two lots of nappies. By the time they get to Em's age they don't need to be changed (what feels like) a million times a day. Plus Wato has been doing most of Em's , I forgot to tell you all that he got a call from work while he was on his paternity leave and was told they didn't need him anymore... WTF. So he has called the Union and they are seeing what they can do. It's hard to know if he has a case because his job was a seasonal one... but still I think it's a little unfair to call someone up after their partner has just had a baby and tell them not to come in anymore. And there is a lot more *****yness to the story too.

Trish, ouchie at the sore nipples... are you using lanolin? I found it more comfy when my nipples where grazed to put a little on after feeds (I was feeding every 2 hours in hospital).

I was going to have a sleep but Violet was being a little fussy and by the time I got her down Em woke up... don't yu hate that!!

Tanya

Debbie Lee Guest

Gotta be quick cos Neil needs the puter but I think that Gabby isn't getting enough milk from me. She has been on the boob allllll day and hasn't been asleep except for 10 minutes here and there. I just gave up and gave her a formula bottle and she has zonked it.
    We tried going for a walk, tried rocking her to sleep, tried on the boob 1000 times etc. etc.
    We have our health centre appointment on Thursday and I have rung to book into the day stay clinic. They called me back but I missed their call ](*,) No message either. So hopefully they will call back tomorrow and give me a date to come in.
    I know that good sleep during the day promotes good sleep at night so I am just worried that all this awake time is going to start making the nights more hellish than they already are (which isn't so bad compared to others).
    Gonna go and try to express and see how much I get out. It's frustrating! Why have these big jugs if they can't produce enough milk?? God knows they are being stimulated enough!

Sarah, what a shocker you had. I hope that he was good for you today. Keep telling yourself he will get better, it will get better. I used the same thing for my boys when they got constipated too Sarah, I found the brown sugar and water worked great.

Deb, Tehya and Gabby sound like the same baby atm. Maybe it's a girl thing I am trying not to nurse her too much and I find that when she is tired she wants to suck ir feed, if she has not long had a feed and I know she isn't hungry then I try her on the dummy, sometimes cuddling her and others in her rocker or swing. She will grizzle for a few minutes but then she crashes. Have been having a lot of cat naps today though. If only they would roll them all into 3 big sleeps.

Tanya, I am using Lansolin or something like that, it's in a purple tube and it's basically just lanolin. Only problem is that when I put it on like after a shower or something the stimulation on my nipple starts the milk off, then I end up with milk everywhere Have to be quick with the nursing pads. How much of a bugger is it trying to get the 2 little ones down at the same time. Noah hasn't had a nap today so we should get an early night [-o<
    How rude of your DH's work to do that to him, surely there is something you can do about it. Mark has been doing most of Noah's nappies and toilet runs, we are still tting and he is doing well but of course there are always accidents. Like the big poo he did in his pants at mums house this afternoon, I had just put Tehya into the carrier so I couldn't clean him up. Poor mum got left to do it

Kayla, hope your feeling abit better now. I think we all have days when we want to cry, 3 day baby blues set it sometimes. BTW hows your rib going? Did it affect your labour in any way?

Colleen, how's James doing after his op? Hopefully he isn't in too much pain or discomfort.

Take care
    Trish

Deb, if Gabby is gaining weight then she is getting enough. Don't get discouraged, I know that it can seem easier just to put her on the bottle put is you persever your milk supply will increase. Are you drinking lots of water??? I have days too when I think if Tehya had a bottle I could sleep better or get more stuff done because someone else could feed her, but at the end of the day I wouldn't swap bfing her for the world.

Take care
    Trish

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast