Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn to 1 Month, March '05

Debbie Lee Guest

Oh dear Trish! Sounds like Tehya's photo shoot was one "****ty" situation!! Urrgh. Hope she is feeling better soon. I don't know how you do it. I feel sleep-deprived and I only have the one to contend with!!

Sarah - your avatar looks unreal! Very spunky!

Well, we survived our first night at home. I have had all of 3 hours sleep (not in a row) because missy moo seems to think that the only way she can sleep is to be cuddled. Right now I have her in the baby carrier snuggled up to me. At least my hands are free! I can see I am going to use this thing a lot!

Zola - I have had trouble with my milk too. For a couple of days, I was barely producing any colostrom the the poor little mite was having to suck so hard to get anything that she got frustrated. We've had no problem with attachment (we have that down-pat) but I have been put on Maxalon to aid lactation and I sat at the breast pump at the hosptial for a few hours today. I have a pump here at home but have to figure out how to use it properly (with batteries it does jack!).
    My milk still isn't fully in but she is getting heaps more and getting that sucking motion really happening. Hopefully I won't need to buy any formula to top her up (though I am not opposed to the idea if it helps her sleep at night). In hospital she had a couple of 30ml doses and she was out like a light. Hmmm... maybe I should get some. What formula do you use??

I will eventually get around to typing up my birth story one of these days. I have semi-written it down whilst in hospital so I just have to copy it out. Will let you know when it is up.

We have Dad and his wife coming today and possibly a couple of other people. I have told them that I am not getting out of my PJs so they have to live with it!!!

Can I just say, I have the best husband it the world?? Am gonna type it up in the WOO HOO forum.

Ok... got stuff to do. Hopefully I will get much better at personals as I get the hang of this motherhood thing!! LOL

OMG Trish that is soooo awful! I hope she gets over it veeery quickly! I suppose with so much poo it's hard to tell if she is weeing... I hope she is getting heaps of feeds, you must be exhausted!

My little princess kept me up most of the night too Deb...ugh! Oh well, she has a lot of trouble bringing up her wind sometimes and it causes her to be very restless, even if she is sleeping has cries and grunts, so I have to burp her cause it can't be quality sleep and I can't sleep while she is doing that anyway... poor girl.

As for nursing bub to sleep... It can be hell huh? They're asleep one minute... put them down and two minutes later....WAHHHH!! I've just got my bub out of that habit. Emily ended up being the same and at six weeks I was taught a technique that teaches them to put themselves to sleep.... oh the relief!!

Tanya

Deb, Zander is the same - he seems to think that the way to go to sleep is by being cuddled. Very frustrating at 2am huh?! Last night he ended up in bed with us at about 2.30 and stayed there. It meant we got more sleep which was great. Oh & I think Aaron has to share the best husband in the world title too

As for the breast / bottle feeding discussion, Zander is nothing like his dad!! We had major dramas getting him to latch on which has resulted in mum having huge bleeding blisters on her nipples - not fun I tell ya. Sooooo he is on Karicare infant formula, which he is happy with & I'm also expressing for him. There's not much there & he seems to need another feed within 1/2 an hour after an EBM one, so we try to do those ones during the day.

Tanya you have to share your technique for getting them to put themselves back to sleep.....

Awwww poor Tehya. I hope she's feeling better now Trish.

We're getting along really well otherwise. I think Zander prefers to have some noise while he's sleeping cos daytimes he is great & nighttimes not so great. I have a little machine that does nature sounds & it has a heartbeat one, so I'm thinking of putting that in his room tonight to see if it helps.

He has his weigh in tomorrow, so hopefully he has put on a bit. He was 4010gm at birth & 3500gm when we left the hospital, not great cos they are only supposed to lose 10% max of their birth weight. If he's put on enough we are officially discharged from the hospital - WOOHOO!!! Oh yeah & got my staples out yesterday, feels FANTASTIC!

Hi Sarah, Debs, Tanya and Colleen!!

I just wanted to invade a little and say hello, welcome you back with your bubs that sort of thing.

I can't believe you've gone and done it all now. Seems only yesterday you guys were posting your news. And look at you know - now it is all about BF, expressing, formulas, nappies and sleep, LOL!!

Glad you have the best hubbies in the world, I think the same of mine.

Happy baby days and can't wait to hear how your little families are settling in!

Take care,
    Gabby

Oh yeah, it´s so cool to see you girls all here in the Baby Buddies Forum
    Enjoy your little bundles. Oh - and the sleeping thing gets better!

Sarah, I love it that you call him Zander. Very Dutch (though in Dutch it´s of course Sander but pronounced the same as Zander).

Debbie Lee Guest

Hey guys,
    Yes, Tanya! Pleeeeease teach us! LOL Here i am sounding desperate and we have only been at home one night.

Sarah - Gabby is the same as Zander. She sleeps well with the noise of the day and the quiet of night seems to unsettle her. We are going to play relaxation music to her tonight to see if that works. Also, we are going to give her a bath about 30 minutes before we try and put her to sleep. The moment she is down, so am I!! Ouchies on your nipple blisters!! Thankfully mine seem ok atm. It's a little ouchies when she latches on but it disappears as she keeps sucking. The domicillary nurse that came today said that that's ok because it could just be a little bit of pain from getting used to all the attention. Still, I have put some lansolin on them after my shower today just to give them a bit of a helping hand.

Gabby - it IS pretty amazing isn't it? It feels like I have graduated or something, LOL. So, what did you think of my "little surprise" about her being named Gabrielle?? We had discussed names etc. before she was born and we were both pretty much stuck on it for a name. I thought you might like it

Well, I am rapt today because after her last feed, Gabby did a couple of little spews! Nothing major but, as someone who has only just started getting her milk it, it's a good sign to me that she is getting plenty of fluid. She has also had a couple of wet nappies today so that's another good sign. No poos at home as yet but my Mum tells me that when we were little, we would only poo once a week! The midwife told me it varies (obviously not a trait of all BF babies) but it could be "in the genes" iykwim? So I am not too stressed about that yet.

Dad came around and gave Gabby a cuddle which was nice. It was also fantastic because his wife didn't come with him. She is feeling pretty yuk with a cold so she didn't want to bring it around the baby! It was lovely to have just Dad over though! He said that she looks like like what I looked like as a baby but with lighter hair. He stayed and made a fuss over the kitchen and Neil's bar out in the shed. It was great. Also had a friend from Melbourne come down and check bubs out. She took some awesome photos so hopefully she will send them too me on Tuesday.

Neil is inside having "daddy time" with Gabby. I had a shower then asked if he wouldn't mind sitting with her while I came out to the computer. Isn't he great??? Glad to hear that all the DH's are stepping up to the plate. It really makes you appreciate them that extra bit more, doesn't it??

Hi Debs!!

Yep love the name, but then again I am biased aren't I??

Mine is just spelled differently - Gabriella like in Italy!

My father loves to tell the story of him choosing the name even before he got mum pregnant, and my mum says she had no hope of having any other name. So, I love Gabby!!

BTW, she is just beautiful!!!

All your babies are ladies, but I don't suppose I am telling you anything you don't already know!

Debbie Lee Guest

Awww... shucks! Thanks Gab

Oh, also, Michelle... thankyou for the card. It was lovely!

Oh it is so good to see all your girls in here with your new babies!

All your bubbies are sooo gorgeous! Its making me clucky.

Hope you are all settling in well and getting at least some sleep. Or is that word now out of your vocabularies? LOL.

Oh and I forgot to say how beautiful all your new avatars are!!

You guys rock!

Geez, Kathryn is good at this!

Debbie Lee Guest

HANG ON!!!
    In my absense and complete selfishness, I have only just noticed your ticker Gabby!!!!!!!
    Congratulations!!!!!
    Sending you all the sticky vibes I can muster......!!!
    Ooooooooooo gonna go to the pregnancy announcements...
    Probably old news but geeeeeeeeez I am rapt for you!!!!

Snuck that one in didn't I Debs!!

It is not really old news yet, and there is still along way to go before I can even believe it!!

But

Are any of you guys having problems sleeping yourselves? Zander has been with my mum for an hour & I just can't get to sleep. Aaron is snoring away, but I am wide awake. Same thing happened yesterday afternoon when I tried to nap while he was. My mind just won't shut down. Please tell me I'm not the only one......

We were thinking of trying a bath just before bedtime as well Deb, but it seems to have gotten pretty cold here in the last week. I think it might be too cold for a bath at like 7 or 8 at night at the moment. Our midwife said yesterday that breastfed bubs use all the nutrients & everything in breast milk which is why they don't poo as much. She said that up to 2 weeks is normal. How nice that your dad came round too

It's so frustrating to have a bub liking to be up at night rather than day - he slept from 11am - 4.45pm today. Why oh why couldn't he do that at night?!

Sarah, your not the only one! I have that problem all the time. If you can't sleep then at least it is good to have some time to yourself even just for half an hour. Maybe read a book to keep your mind off things.

Sarah, I so wish that I had the opportunity to lay down even if I couldn't sleep. Still I would be really frustrated if I had the chance and couldn't. Obviously you still have too many things on your mind. Don't worry, sleep will come, soon you'll find yourself dropping off anywhere

Sounds like all of our little bundles are keeping us all up atm. Heres hoping they start to sleep better during the night soon.

Tehya is still really unsettled today. My nipples are killing me and I thought that maybe she hadn't been attaching properly overnight and that was why til I checked her mouth this afternoon. She has thrush in her mouth now ](*,) Never before have any of my new bubs gotten sick, usually the breast milk keeps all the nasties away but I think this gastro has really knocked her immunity. So now she has a sore mouth as well as her tummy and her little bottom is getting red despite her constant nappy changes and being smothered in bum cream and my nipples have a touch of trush on them from her. Woohoo. OK this is her 3 now everything should go away and leave her alone now.

I am feeling really exhausted tonight, just think that I need alittle me time, looking after a new bub is hard enough - as you are all finding out, but a new sick bub is a nightmare.

OMG what a whinge this was. Sorry girls. Tomorrow WILL be BETTER

Sleep, sleep, sleep hmmm precious sleep [-o<

Take care girls and bubs
    sleep tight

Trish

You guys are making me feel so clucky!! And I am so happy that all the DH's have been behaving themselves. Good on them. Yay on Neil having daddy time Deb. When does he go back to work??

Sarah - I'm really worried about sleeping during the day too - I'm useless at it - always have been. I'm not sure what I'm gunna do if spud turns out like your Zander! I'm sure it will only take you guys a few weeks to get your heads around it all, and pretty soon you'll have day and night sleeps sussed out!!

I'm trying to decide which is better - sitting here with engagement and ligament cramps and pains, or you guys sleep deprived and sore tummies!! I can't decide, but I think you guys win cause you are holding your babies.

I hope you're all still here when I finally pop!! I can see myself going weeks over. D'OH! ](*,)

Fi

Evening girls,
    I am up when I should be resting, but I am receiving photos from my sis via email, she didn't reduce their size so it is taking aaaaages!!!

Sarah, I was always told to never let bub sleep for more than 4hrs during the day, that can be the beginnings of day/night confusion.

As for telling you all how to get bubs to sleep by themselves... well..........
    With Emily it took about a week to get her to do it, with this one it took one go!! Firstly you have to ensure they are not sick, make sure they have a dry clean nappy and have no wind and make sure they are tried! then wrap them.... I use one of those muslin (sp?) wraps which is really thin so they don't get too hot. Wrap them just below the shoulders and not around the neck, you don't need to tuck the bottom of the wrap up. Put them in their bed on their side, put one hand on their shoulder and use the other hand to pat their bum (pat it in the same way a heart would beat). This tells them you are there. This is the hard bit!! Cause sometimes they SCREAM!! I think I was first taught to do this for 15 mins and then pick them up... but there is no way I could do it for 15 mins!! So I just did it for 5 mins... well I planned too, but never got to 5 mins. Now you don't let them go to sleep while you are patting them, you wait till they calm down and remove your hand and let them drift off by themselves... and if they start to cry again you start again till you reach your time limit. If you reach your time limit pick them up, calm them down and then put them on their other side and begin again. I think the limit for getting them to sleep is an hour... not sure about that tho. When they are asleep you are supossed to gently roll them onto their back and loosen their wraps... but I don't, I found it disturbed them too much... and Idon't mind them sleeping on their side... keeps their head round!!
    I learnt to do this from a video that I watched at a breastfeeding daystay I attended with Em, so maybe you could ask your maternal health nurse about the technique. Also I know they run sleep school here too, where they teach you how to get your kids to sleep, maybe youu could enquire about such a thing where you live.
    I hope if you girls try it that it works, not sure if it wrks for every1, but it did for me.

hopefully I will have some pics of Violet Crystal (Wato chose the middle name, maybe we should've just called her amethyst..lol) up on her web site soon

Tanya

Oh yeah... Trish, I am glad you got the thrush early!! Thrush on the nipples is soooooooooooooooooooo frickin painful!!!

Tanya

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast